Transfers and contracts thread

Comments

• stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    iainf72 wrote:
    You don't seem to be having such a fit about Cancellara (who is under contract) leaving the same team.

Cancellera did it in a manly style and discussed it with Riis, negotiated a price and off he went. Porte was offered a big uplift in his wages but his agent still went out and shopped him around despite Riis not planning to release him.

They were different situations.

It's all semantics Iain. Money the driving force in both cases. Riis happy to let one go as he'll get a large wad of cash in return which he wouldn't get if Porte left, the sort of cash he needs to rebuild the team.

There's also question marks over the big uplift in wages and whether a promised bonus then matured into you'll only get it if you sign another contract. Sure you've heard the same Real Peloton podcast.

I'm no fan on the UCI chief's brother, or the hundred and one conflicts of interest that exist. However there's a lot of convenient hypocrisy over the contract/transfer system in cycling.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Offers for what? The boy is under contract.
    Or is that now irrelevant post Wiggo/Swift and cycling is now operating a football-style transfer fee system?
    Perhaps Porte should have negotiated a more incentivised neo-pro contract in the first place, which provided for an uplift based on performances - bottom line is don't sign a contract you don't intend to honour.

You don't seem to be having such a fit about Cancellara (who is under contract) leaving the same team.

Not the same.
    Cancellara's contract had a buy-out clause, which he implemented = no breach.
    Porte's contract has a full year to run, on agreed terms (by both parties), with no opt-out, which Porte is squealing about. Any improvement for Porte is therefore at the absolute discretion of Riis Cycling - like it or lump it.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Riis consistently denied that a buy-out clause existed. They had to come to an agreement as to how much Cancellara would pay. Cancellara therefore had a full year to run on agreed terms (by both parties) with no opt-out. What's the difference? Cancellara hiomself admitted he was courted by several big teams well in advance of coming to an agreement with Riis.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Chicken to Saxobank rumours gaining strength. The chicken's "personal sponsor" says they've been talking to Riis, but that she doesn't want to say anything concrete as she doesn't want to ruin anything.

Meanwhile ASO say Rasmussen is welcome back to the TdF, so that's a possible hurdle cleared...

Link in Danish

http://sporten.tv2.dk/cykling/article.p ... -riis.html
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pedro118118
    Surely if Basso, Millar, Vino, Scarponi et al are all allowed to return/ride the Tour, then Rasmussen should be also? Weird how people seem to interpret the rules to support a personal stance on an unpopular rider? Ricco is the other classic example. Of course, his persona/attitude stinks, but the same rules should apply to him, as apply to articulate/charming riders like Millar. Frankly, they're both former cheats, who have been punished and done their 'time'. Rehibilitation is a seperate issues...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Olivier Zaugg and Joost Postuma to Team Lux.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Tosatto to Saxo for one year. Lefevere didn't act well according to this:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6461/ ... evere.aspx

"When Cancellara left the team, Saxo Bank would have been the perfect squad, but I believe my decision was right, and I'm looking ahead now," said this year's Dwars door Vlaanderen winner to sporten.tv2.dk.

"It would have been difficult with the world's best one day rider on the team, so that was why I switched."
    - Breschel
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pedro118118
    Speaking of 'Mr Punch' himself, any further news about where he'll be riding next year.............still TeamLux, I suppose, but why the cloak and dagger?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Tosatto to Saxo for one year. Lefevere didn't act well according to this:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6461/ ... evere.aspx

Quick-step are looking weaker by the day.
  • iainf72
    Steegmans to Quick.Step
  • Not sure if it has been posted already, but first I've read: Deignan to RadioShack.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deignan ... radioshack
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Francisco Mancebo to RealCyclist.com
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    Steegmans back to Quick.Step

Corrected that for you.

I wonder what kind of haircut he's had to take for his radioshack shenanigans.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Seems like Omega-Pharma are lettiing Jurgen Van Goolen go after just one season.
  • Francisco Mancebo to RealCyclist.com

Does anyone care about Paco anymore?
  • Realyl nice to see Rabobank do this for Menchov. The print looks pretty amazing and well done.

rabo-menchov.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Realyl nice to see Rabobank do this for Menchov. The print looks pretty amazing and well done.

FF, thanks a lot for that. Not for the photo itself, but you gave me a great idea for a leaving present for a good friend (not that elaborate though).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paolini likely to Katusha
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The Two Robbies join RadioShack after the Pegasus fiasco:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcewen- ... radioshack
  • German road race champion Christian Knees has signed to Team Sky for 2011
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    Realyl nice to see Rabobank do this for Menchov. The print looks pretty amazing and well done.

FF, thanks a lot for that. Not for the photo itself, but you gave me a great idea for a leaving present for a good friend (not that elaborate though).

Did you make something in the end?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Did you make something in the end?

Yeah, I did. Well technically Jessops did.
  • iainf72
    Di Luca to Katusha

And he's riding for free.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Di Luca to Katusha

Also, he's a new man.
    That 4 year exclusion from riding for a PT team worked well.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Di Luca to Katusha

Riding for free, eh? That will be handy when they make him pay back five times his salary
  • Stybar cofirmed. 3 years at Quick Step.
    http://www.quickstepcycling.eu/en/Zdene ... Quick-Step
  • rick_chasey
    Seems Quick-Step only have cash for Belgian riders.

Presumably Steegmans and Stybar still cost less than Devolder.

Omega are definitely the Belgian team to beat now.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Good about Stybar - interested to see how he performs.

Devolder is just not good enough to be on QS especially for the money he must ask for. Who wants a rider who does nothing apart from trying to win one race in a year which he thinks should be his...

devolder1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Who wants a rider who does nothing apart from trying to win one race in a year which he thinks should be his...

Somone who wants a proven Flanders winner who has the potential to win again but cannot afford Boonen or Cancellara?
    Mañana
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Seems Quick-Step only have cash for Belgian riders.

Presumably Steegmans and Stybar still cost less than Devolder.

Omega are definitely the Belgian team to beat now.

I read somewhere that Stybar was on €500,000 at Telenet-Fidea.