Giro stage 19 *spoiler*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    tondo for the epic stepping stone attack by sastre across three summits

well maybe not
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Duque and Jackson Rodriguez in the group too. 70km done and 7 minute lead too.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Rai Sport is on, live, as usual with these stages and, unscheduled. :x
    117kms to go. Very overcast, but no rain as yet. Liquigas on the front, as you would expect.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    dougzz wrote:
    [
    No, I'm pretty sure that Cuddles knows the weight of my PTP expectation is on him and simply won't give in. I see the 3 of them on the final climb 'aving it large' before Evans shows those eye-talians just who's boss :)
    Maybe he has had some more Glue made up so he can stick to the back wheels better. ??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Greipel, Dean and Hondo didn't start today. Well you can't blame them 2 days of hell!!! For nothing.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    They are about 12kms from Edolo, where the climb to Aprica and that racing loop of mountainous 100kms begins.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Hoping for a Team Sky win on my birthday :)

Only if Greg Henderson snags his bibs on the lead car's wing-mirror.

Happy Birthday!
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    deejay wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    [
    No, I'm pretty sure that Cuddles knows the weight of my PTP expectation is on him and simply won't give in. I see the 3 of them on the final climb 'aving it large' before Evans shows those eye-talians just who's boss :)
    Maybe he has had some more Glue made up so he can stick to the back wheels better. ??
    :roll: :roll:
  • blazing_saddles
    ORE 9.40 organizers keep constantly monitored the Gavia Pass (m. 2618), included in tomorrow's stage, which raises some concerns, especially for possible damages that forecast snowfall at high altitude. At the moment, is not made any official announcement of a possible change of course in any case is already drawn. The alternative route in case of worsening weather, always provides the departure from Bormio, after the turning point with the ascent of Trivigno Tirano (traveled down the day before) to continue to Aprica, and then, still descending on Tirano reach Grosio to address the Mortirolo from the north - west, new for the Tour of Italy. A 3 km from the summit, the road rejoins the "Classic Mortirolo. Then down to Monno challenging to deal finally climb that leads to the arrival of Ponte di Legno / Tonale.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    looking at the timetable they are motoring along here...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

I got Landis's e-mail for my birthday. I would have preferred some fine whisky to be honest.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    andyp wrote:
    Arroyo's looked tired this week. If he is then the Mortirolo is not the sort of climb to be forgiving, it's unrelenting;

10877.gif

That's pure evil. Surely one of the hardest in all cycling. No let up at any stage.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Why are all the Gazetta graphics in english (e.g.front of race, maglia rosa group)?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    Enough with the tennis, Eurosport.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Enough with the tennis, Eurosport.

It's on Eurosport 2.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    From last two decades, the biggest winning margins have been 7mins twice by Simoni and 9mins by Basso...pretty huge. I wonder a lot about Simoni - never positive apart from coccaine yet surely suspiscious.

Full top threes from the last twenty years nicely set out here:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/cla ... s-vs-basso
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Oof, gonna be a long day for Froome... if he makes it, which is surely unlikely.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    deejay wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    [

Very unfair. The guy is riding a brilliant tour without team support. The Leaky boys are giving all sorts of help to Basso, and Caiss likewise for Arroyo
  • blazing_saddles
    Arnold Jeannesson has retired. A blow for Arroyo.
    Froome, DNF I reckon.
    Right, time for the first ramp. Leaky turn up the gas.
  • afx237vi
    Oh man, Liquigas turning on the hurt with 75 km to go... this could be good.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Just looked at the profile - the first 7 km of this one are as bad as the Motorola :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • blazing_saddles
    Garzelli attacks, takes 45 minutes on the GC and the maglia rosa. :lol:
    Yup, it's just as tough as the MR for 7kms.
    Where Big Mig exploded in 1994, according to Harmon.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Big move, a sign the fireworks are going early, he's after the stage win. Arroyo won't be happy...
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    RichN95 wrote:

I got Landis's e-mail for my birthday. I would have preferred some fine whisky to be honest.

Lucky boy :lol:

I am going to the rugger tomorrow as my treat and might be lashing out on these babies...

4466-18626-main-mullet_glasses-4.jpg
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,475
    Timoid. wrote:
    That's pure evil. Surely one of the hardest in all cycling. No let up at any stage.

It's the hardest I've done, tougher than the Tourmalet, Ventoux, the Galibier, the Gavia or the Stelvio. It's absolutely unrelenting. When you finally hit the last 3 kms (at 9% or so) it feels almost like it's flat.
  • Le Commentateur
    The expected attack from Garzelli.
  • blazing_saddles
    Go, go Garzoid!
    Ah, nasty descent, even more nasty Eurosport break. :x
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Just a descent and then the fireworks! I'm hoping for some huge carnage and for Evans to come out on top. (yeah, I know that's not likely)
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Go, go Garzoid!
    Ah, nasty descent, even more nasty Eurosport break. :x

That's why I love RAI - ZERO commercial breaks in the last 2 hours of a stage!

Of course, I do wish it was in HD.
  • Le Commentateur
    Good teamwork from AS.