Giro stage 19 *spoiler*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited May 2010 in Pro race
Lets get this fricking show on the road!

I expect fireworks from second last climb.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Any weather reports out there, is this going ahead?
  • iainf72
    Nothing yet K.

Basso has said they will attack, but also admits Arroyo's team are quite strong. He's also said he's not too concerned about the descents today or tomorrow.

I was discussing with a fellow forumer a few days ago that there seemed to be a distinct lack of "ego" at this Giro. It's been all about the bike racing, not verbal jabbing in the press or whinging.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    About time.

alt_19.jpg

pla_19.jpg

t19s01.jpg

t19s02.jpg

ukm_19.jpg

Bormio weather forecast is for dry am, but rain in the afternoon.

Both the Trevigno and Mortirolo are technical descents.
    Have fun, Ivan.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    One thing the riders are suffering from is long transfers, each day the race up sticks in the evening and riders are going to bed late. Perhaps this could make some bad tempered but others are just so tired and don't have time to hang about in press conferences nor to make flippant comments in the race village before the start.
  • blazing_saddles
    Checked a few sites now. Looks like a gradual decline in conditions. Showers by 1pm uk.
    Aprica and the whole area, 4pm, has what looks like a t/storm. Maybe, they'll get lucky.
    Tomorrow doesn't look quite as bad as predicted..........
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    iainf72 wrote:

I was discussing with a fellow forumer a few days ago that there seemed to be a distinct lack of "ego" at this Giro. It's been all about the bike racing, not verbal jabbing in the press or whinging.

That's the inevitable consequence of Gibo's decline.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72

That's the inevitable consequence of Gibo's passport related decline.

Fixed that for you
  • wrt Iain's comment - it has been a refreshing Giro all round especially as it has been exclusively about the racing.
  • Kléber
    iainf72 wrote:

Fixed that for you
    Banter and gobbiness might be absent from the peloton but it's alive on the internet :wink:

Still, I did see Simoni's "Gibo d'Italia" book and think a better title would be "My great escape".
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Yes, nice atmosphere in here - no chance of that tedious little man showing up... :D

Now, the big question of the day - just how many different ways will Sean pronounce "da Motorola"?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    Oh yeah, Ivan and Cadel, can you please sort out the GC today. I'm not going to be able to watch the race tomorrow and Sunday so would like to have some closure today please.

Thanks.

:wink:
  • DaveyL
    No, no, keep it coming lads! :wink:
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    arroyo still in pink at the end of day...bets?

still on the podium..bets?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Liquigas ride the legs off all but the "big favourites" then Basso and Scarponi make the escape from Evans on the final climb, work together on condition that Basso gives the stage win to Scarponi - Greeny cleans up on PTP...!!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Kléber wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Fixed that for you
    Banter and gobbiness might be absent from the peloton but it's alive on the internet :wink:

Still, I did see Simoni's "Gibo d'Italia" book and think a better title would be "My great escape".

Gibo has a book? Awesome. I hope it recounts all his classic exploits... Calling Cunego names, calling Basso names, calling the bloke off Italian telly names...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DaveyL
    It'll be every man for himself on the Mortirolo, I don't think Arroyo can hold on today. Though as has been pointed out, he may make some time up on the descent before the final climb.

Sadly my main memory of Arroyo's descending is him climbing up out of some bushes at the side of the Cormet de Roselend (I think) in the same incident that took Rogers out of the 2007 Tour.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • mididoctors
    greeny12 wrote:
    Liquigas ride the legs off all but the "big favourites" then Basso and Scarponi make the escape from Evans on the final climb, work together on condition that Basso gives the stage win to Scarponi - Greeny cleans up on PTP...!!

scarponi to get away on a long one with garzelli tomorrow after LIQ run out of legs today is my guess

who actually has it today on the Mortirolo is anyones guess
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Arroyo's looked tired this week. If he is then the Mortirolo is not the sort of climb to be forgiving, it's unrelenting;

10877.gif
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    DaveyL wrote:
    It'll be every man for himself on the Mortirolo, I don't think Arroyo can hold on today. Though as has been pointed out, he may make some time up on the descent before the final climb.

Sadly my main memory of Arroyo's descending is him climbing up out of some bushes at the side of the Cormet de Roselend (I think) in the same incident that took Rogers out of the 2007 Tour.

Unless like Pereiro in yellow going over the Alps in 06, wearing the pink jersey inspires him to just hang in there today and limit his losses!
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I know one thing - the next two days are must-see viewing for any pro cycling fan...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • blazing_saddles
    arroyo still in pink at the end of day...bets?

still on the podium..bets?

Nah, as Davy says, it's man the lifeboats.
    Arroyo can't make the gradient and, other than Nibali and the entire BMC squad, of course, (got one in there, Iain. :wink: ) teams will be completely absent and irrelevant.
  • blazing_saddles

Gibo has a book? Awesome. I hope it recounts all his classic exploits... Calling Cunego names, calling Basso names, calling the bloke off Italian telly names...

"The Bastardo, ET, Sweetie and Me." :wink:
  • mididoctors
    I think arroyo has a slim chance of hanging onto the bottom step but in the main he is going backwards..

.. if they use nibs to pace to the end and shepard Basso then scarponi comes as well

can see Basso dropping everyone on the M'tirolo but find it hard seeing him solo to the end..

actually i dont know.. someone could just collapse
  • Sheptastic
    Sheptastic Posts: 298
    garzelli is at 9/1 for the stage win today. Worth a punt i reckon.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Seems they should hit the Mortirolo sometime shortly after 1520 (our time), hopefully my meeting is finished by then.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Hoping for a Team Sky win on my birthday :)
  • Kléber
    They've started now, the usual flurry of attacks, counter-attacks and chase downs. Very hard to get away but I suspect a move will go.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Cadel won't be far from the winner is my best guess. Its good to see a current world champ in the lead group of a grand tour.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    greeny12 wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure that Cuddles knows the weight of my PTP expectation is on him and simply won't give in. I see the 3 of them on the final climb 'aving it large' before Evans shows those eye-talians just who's boss :)
  • Kléber
    Small group with Tondo and Samoilau going clear.