Giro stage 15 *spoiler*

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    "One by one each man ran out of energy and collapsed under Bartali's relentless pressure. He became once again the dazzling magician of the summits, flying on the mountains, reducing to nothing those who, moments before, were his adversaries. On this execrable planet his gracious pedaling couldn't help but exhort admiration." - Jaques Goddett
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Evans seemed to be pushing too big a gear on some sections...think Basso spun an easier gear...cadence difference was evident when they were together and when Evans let go

Question: how do you get up the Zoncalan?

Answer: any bl00dy way you can

same way u get get up any frickin hill dr...choose the most suitable gears...you go back and review dr

I'm sure your right

smart arse
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,867
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Evans seemed to be pushing too big a gear on some sections...think Basso spun an easier gear...cadence difference was evident when they were together and when Evans let go

Question: how do you get up the Zoncalan?

Answer: any bl00dy way you can

same way u get get up any frickin hill dr...choose the most suitable gears...you go back and review dr

I'm sure your right

smart ars*

I'll let you get the last word..oh no I've ruined that for you now

:wink:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Arroyo and Porte
    Basso +3'33 (0)
    Sastre +4'21 (+48")
    Evans +4'43 (+1'10")
    Vino +5'51 (+2'18")
    Nibali +6'07 (+2'34")
    Scarponi +6'35 (+3'02")
    Cunego +9'19 (+5'46")

Those gaps now look quite small.

Basso could go the whole way here

well LIQ are holding all the cards.. hard to see anybody getting away from the lime green mountain train with the way they rode today
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Porte increased his lead in the young rider classification. Kiserlovski is now 5:38 behind the young australian.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    BEST TOUR EVER*

* well in my lifetime.
    exercise.png
  • Cumulonimbus
    Wow, Wegelius came in 15th. Good ride by him
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Whereas Bradley came in 104th, so that wasn't such an achievement...

Excellent stage to watch. This Giro is turning into a pretty spectacular race. It's also good to see a good number of riders perceived as clean doing well.
    Really looking forward to the last week now.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    Yeah, not so good there.

Tondo had a high GC overnight but he finished just ahead of Wiggins today.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Richrd2205 wrote:

Excellent stage to watch. This Giro is turning into a pretty spectacular race. It's also good to see a good number of riders perceived as clean doing well.
    Really looking forward to the last week now.

+1

I just hope that Basso's form isn't because he's back on the juice. It saddens me to think that there probably hasn't been a GT winner in a long time who was clean.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    Mooro wrote:
    Sky plus recording finished as basso and evans were 5 k to go....

damn it (i said worse at the time!)

Me too. Very p1ssed off. Have now skyplussed the highlights on at 10.30.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Mooro wrote:

Me three. What a shocker!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    what sky channel was it on?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    smithy21 wrote:
    Mooro wrote:

Me three. What a shocker!

Uh! that's happened to me, on a number of occasions. I do manual recordings on series link from 1 to 5pm every day on ES HD. I ain't missing anything :wink:
    (I watch live when I can tho', like today 8) ).
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Richrd2205 wrote:

Wiggo clearly not riding this one to win it. Which is a shame.

Replay of the final bit is on Eurosport right now for those that missed it.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Garzelli has sunk rather spectacularly in the past 2 days.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Great ride by Basso, Cadel was amazing too.

I know Ivan thought about doping, and Cuddles,, is,,, well,, Cuddles,, and has never had such dark thoughts, but Ivan just looks so much better on a bike.

If I was on the Zoncolan today I would have given Cadel my trainers, I'm sure he'd have done better with his bike on his back the way he fights it.

FF - I see you've changed avatar yet again, did you support Chelsea this year ??? :wink:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Watching the end of the stage again, and I can't believe how many motorbikes they have! Some people came across the line with 4 or 5 motorbikes behind them!

Crazy.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Tough one in the Zoncolan here at the #Giro. That is a HARD climb. Congrats to Basso, he deserved that one......

magnanimous from cadel after today... nice to see
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

he called it

looks like he was right about Basso coming good in the third

I have to say, when people were slagging off Basso I wondered if they were watching the same race as me. Last weekend on the Strade Bianchi stage he was stronger than Nibs going up hill, when it was paved. So he suffered because he's not good at thet stuff that requires excellent bike handling skills. Yesterday I think it was plain to see he was the strongest guy.

Will be an interesting week to come. From what I've seen, Evans and Basso for 1 and 2, not sure which order.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    was anyone else blown away by the amount of people on the side of that mountain.. so awesome to see that!!

8_600.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Mooro wrote:

I now always set Sky+ to also record the next programme, or do a manual record. I've been caught out too often before.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Doobz wrote:
    was anyone else blown away by the amount of people on the side of that mountain.. so awesome to see that!!

Yeah. I thought Harmon was exaggerating when he was talking about the numbers on the mountain.. not when I saw the helicopter shots. Just a shame those officials were lining the road in the last k (even if they had to).
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    When I saw the shots of all the people on the side of the hill, I did wonder how many of them could have been able to see any of the riders - most of them seemed to be well away from the side of the road. It's a long climb to get a distant view of the riders. The atmosphere must have been something else.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Doobz wrote:

8_600.jpg

Does look like a bit of a cathedral. How many of them do you think understood what was going on?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2010
    iainf72 wrote:

he called it

looks like he was right about Basso coming good in the third

I have to say, when people were slagging off Basso I wondered if they were watching the same race as me. Last weekend on the Strade Bianchi stage he was stronger than Nibs going up hill, when it was paved. So he suffered because he's not good at thet stuff that requires excellent bike handling skills. Yesterday I think it was plain to see he was the strongest guy.

Will be an interesting week to come. From what I've seen, Evans and Basso for 1 and 2, not sure which order.

couldn't get away at Terminillo thou... either that was it or as we know now he was coming into form

Basso's to lose IMO..he has the team never mind a team...

may lose a bit in the TT's but probably not enough...suspect the gaps will be about the same
    unless Cadel cracks completely (not impossible)

still big days to come and you can have a bad day... find the team's(LIQ) strength a tad stellar

dont want anything silly happening
  • Cumulonimbus
    Just for the record, all 4 of Cadel's domestiques finished today within the time limit and go on to face the last week. Actually, all but one of them finished ahead of Wiggo today.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Amazing ride by Basso. Evans was great also, and so was Scarponi with his slow but steady pace. Was expecting a bit more from Sastre though. Let's see if he wakes up now. Also, amazing audience.
  • Cumulonimbus
    edited May 2010
    Make of it what you will but the guys at Cyclismag have had their stopwatches and calculators out and they reckon Basso did the climb 1 minute 50 seconds slower than Piepoli and Simoni in 2007. One climb doesnt mean that much though, it was a long stage today though and its hard been a hard Giro as well so you would expect it to be slower. Having said that there would bee real cause for concern if he'd gone loads faster.

http://tinyurl.com/32n6w8u

EDIT: Cheers Rich!