ripped off

Comments

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Not if the buyer had paid cash after inspecting the product.
  • steelem
    steelem Posts: 199
    well guilliano that puts you in my sellers catorgary - thats sad as you obvioudly bull s_hit for a sale - no need - tell the truth
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Nope, that puts me in the category of sell as seen. If someone inspects a product and buys they are obviously happy with the product. I wouldn't buy an apple from Tesco just because they said it was fresh.... I'd look at it first and make my own decision on that. If I bought a bruised one it would be my own fault.
  • steelem
    sell as seen when you have fed me all that bull shit all i say is m8 lying WXXXX give this up obviously there are more of u out there - pls dont comment on this thread again you make me sick
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Surely this thread has got to be a wind up right? :?

And also seems to be getting a little heated....

Steelem, you need to calm down a little mate, you have started a thread on a public forum and people have replied with advice, ok some have critisised, however it has been constructive critisism, but that last post of yours is just plain nasty...

People are entitled to their opinions, however no need to take it that one step further and insult....
  • steelem
    sonny - your winding me up m8 - just have some peace with this thread = Good seller
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    steelem, I can see why you are upset because you did kind of get ripped off. You made a few mistakes but that doesn't make it your fault.
    However, you have to ask yourself if you were in his possition, would you refund the entire bike. But by the way you are rudely critisizing any one who inadvertedly steps into the line of fire, I'd say you wouldn't.
  • rapid_uphill
    rapid_uphill Posts: 841
    What would piss me off is if he then sold the wheels for more than £400.
    steelem wrote:

he gives me 400-00 for the wheel & gives me a new cassette which he has agreed on - if so ill then buy some wheels & sell on ebay

i got a feeling that he wont pay me - even though he has the wheels on ebay that are in my possession at the moment.. he says he will collect wheels tommorrow then pay me tommorrow night - so i have replied to say give me the money now & cassette then you can collect.. I have had no reply as yet
  • steelem
    love2ride wrote:
    steelem, I can see why you are upset because you did kind of get ripped off. You made a few mistakes but that doesn't make it your fault.
    However, you have to ask yourself if you were in his possition, would you refund the entire bike. But by the way you are rudely critisizing any one who inadvertedly steps into the line of fire, I'd say you wouldn't.

I would 100% refund any bike i have sold to its full if i had made a mistake in advertising I just sold 2 bikes to get this 1 and held onto money just in case buyers was not happy - sorry im genuine shame others arent!!!!!
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    steelem,
    Advertising has nothing to do with this though as you didn't buy the bike through ebay.

You met the guy, looked at the product and agreed to pay a certain amount of money for what was in front of you.

That's it. There's nothing more to it.

The fact that the spec was different to what you were expecting make no difference whatsoever. You had the opportunity to match up the two things and argue with him about the differences before you handed the cash over. He may well have explained that he didn't know what he was advertising (some people genuinely don't) or he could have actively decided not to sell what was originally specced. That's his choice as at that point you haven't bought anything and you will view it before it gets sold.

As a result of either of these things and had you pointed this all out, he could have made changes to get the spec up to what you were expecting to see, or you could have negotiated a price for what was being offered (presumaly a lower price that advertised in this case).

That fact that you didn't do either of these last things is your fault. No one else is to blame.

In all honesty, if you bought from me then there's no way I'd be giving you anything back in terms of a refund. You had a chance to negotiate a price for what you were viewing and we'd agreed on a price. End of. That's not me ripping anyone off, that just me and a seller agreeing on a price for a viewed and approved item, and sticking to that agreement.

The fact that he has offered you something back is merely a nice bonus for you. Nothing more, so treat it as such.

The analogy to buying an apple in Tescos by a previous poster is a good one.

Rich
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    steelem wrote:
    the Vendor is a con artist full stop

hardly - a real 'con artist' would have disappeared with your money. Real con artists don't accept returns, or give refunds.....
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Also, you agreed to buy an ebay product off of ebay which is effectively "conning" ebay - using their market place as a forum, but not paying the fees.
  • steelem
    rich164h wrote:
    steelem,
    Advertising has nothing to do with this though as you didn't buy the bike through ebay.

You met the guy, looked at the product and agreed to pay a certain amount of money for what was in front of you.

The fact that the spec was different to what you were expecting make no difference whatsoever. You had the opportunity to match up the two things and argue with him about the differences before you handed the cash over. He may well have explained that he didn't know what he was advertising (some people genuinely don't) or he could have actively decided not to sell what was originally specced. That's his choice as at that point you haven't bought anything and you will view it before it gets sold.

As a result of either of these things and had you pointed this all out, he could have made changes to get the spec up to what you were expecting to see, or you could have negotiated a price for what was being offered (presumaly a lower price that advertised in this case).

That fact that you didn't do either of these last things is your fault. No one else is to blame.

In all honesty, if you bought from me then there's no way I'd be giving you anything back in terms of a refund. You had a chance to negotiate a price for what you were viewing and we'd agreed on a price. End of. That's not me ripping anyone off, that just me and a seller agreeing on a price for a viewed and approved item, and sticking to that agreement.

The fact that he has offered you something back is merely a nice bonus for you. Nothing more, so treat it as such.

Rich

well rich if i bought a bike from you u tell me its a medium - i get home to find its a large then im sure you would refund unless you are a retard like my seller - end of
  • rapid_uphill
    rapid_uphill Posts: 841
    anyway its a nice looking bike.
  • softlad
    edited May 2010
    steelem wrote:

well rich if i bought a bike from you u tell me its a medium - i get home to find its a large then im sure you would refund unless you are a retard like my seller - end of

"whoosh"

Q. what was that noise..?

A. That was the sound of Rich's point, going straight over your head.....
  • rich164h
    edited May 2010
    No I wouldn't refund. You saw the bike and agreed to the price and handed over the cash.

If however I'd advertised and you'd bought it from a distance without viewing then I would of course offer a refund as the emphasis is on me to provide you with information so that you can decide on whether to buy the item or not. Even then, that's me acting in an ethical way (as opposed to acting under the sales of goods act which doesn't apply for a private sale).
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    The more I read the more I'm with the seller.

You couldn't work out what the bike was because the seller had you in a big conversation !!!!

You are either 6 or an idiot
  • steelem
    rich164h wrote:
    No I wouldn't refund. You saw the bike and agreed to the price and handed over the cash.

If however I'd avertised and you'd bought it from a distance without viewing then I would have course offer a refund as the emphasis is on me to provide you with information so that you can decide on whether to buy the item or not. Even then, that's me acting in an ethical way (as opposed ot acting under the sales of goods act which doesn't apply for a private sale).

so rich if we had a 10 plus conversation and even on the day of sale you told me its a medium - when i get it back home its a large - you still wouldnt??
  • rich164h
    No. If the item was being viewed, the buyer would have checked what was being sold and bought it if they were happy with it.
  • steelem
    rich164h wrote:
    No. If the item was being viewed, the buyer would have checked what was being sold and bought it if they were happy with it.

must be just me with principles then!!
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    softlad wrote:
    steelem wrote:
    the Vendor is a con artist full stop

hardly - a real 'con artist' would have disappeared with your money. Real con artists don't accept returns, or give refunds.....

You call him a con artist and yet you trusted him to have your wheels back for half their value.

There's a whiff of BS about this thread
  • steelem
    how do you work that one out 400-00 for 2nd kysriumn sl ?? thats the going price m8 unless you know more ?

softlad wrote:
    steelem wrote:
    You call him a con artist and yet you trusted him to have your wheels back for half their value.

• softlad
    steelem wrote:
    rich164h wrote:

must be just me with principles then!!

I wouldn't call them 'principles' - I would call it abject naivety...
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Yeah mate, this distance sellers regs are to protect people who buy something without having it in the flesh before they hand over the cash.

You went to see the bike, could have sat on it, picked it up - what difference does the size on the sticker make if it fits you?

One of my bikes is a 51cm, the other a Medium (50cm compact) - they both fit me...

And what's all this about Mavic's - it's got Zipps on that picture!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    steelem wrote:
    how do you work that one out 400-00 for 2nd kysriumn sl ?? thats the going price m8 unless you know more ?

I think Chriskempton meant that you sold them back to the original vendor for £200. Obviously, you expect £400 but you think the seller is a con artist so in reality you allowed the vendor to hand over £200 instead of £400.

Either the vendor will give you the cassette and remaining £200 in which case you can hardly call him a con artist. Or, he is a con artist, you knew it and yet you still allowed him to take a good pair of wheels away from you for half the agreed price and without the cassette.

So, either he isn't a con artist, or you are a plonker. Which is it? :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Brassknocker
    Brassknocker Posts: 209
    rich164h wrote:
    steelem,

Rich

Steelem, Steelem, Steelem,
    you have my genuine sympathies! you're not happy with what you've got, you feel betrayed, but everything Rich164h (above) has said is clearly the only way any level headed, honest bloke would interpret this situation.

Take it on the chin, put it down to experience, sell this bike and buy one that you want.

oh ...and please stop saying 'm8' :wink:
  • steelem
    if you had read the post - you would know the bike came with kysrium sl - those sl have gone back to the vendor for 400-00 - the zipp are mign - your right it does fit me - no problem with that - problem i have is i sold 2 bikes i.e cannondale 54 s-works 56 to have a 54 spez - as i fellt the preowned 56 was just too big.. hope that makes sense

TommyEss wrote:
    Yeah mate, this distance sellers regs are to protect people who buy something without having it in the flesh before they hand over the cash.

You went to see the bike, could have sat on it, picked it up - what difference does the size on the sticker make if it fits you?

One of my bikes is a 51cm, the other a Medium (50cm compact) - they both fit me...

And what's all this about Mavic's - it's got Zipps on that picture!
  • rich164h
    your right it does fit me - no problem with that

eh? What are you on about then? :shock:
  • steelem
    rich164h wrote:
    comment removed as it was out of sequence with the thread by the time I pressed "send"

next time ill be doing it via ebay - so if someone wants to send me a 56 - & i wanted a 54 - then ill get my money back - cant be arsed dealing with you nuggestts who rip ppl off !!!
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    softlad wrote:
    steelem wrote:
    quick update

here is the pic of the bike i bought:

still waiting for 200 quid & cassette from seller who had wheels back 2 days ago - so have nt managed to ride it yet - wheels tyres computer pedals are extras i have put on over the last few days - not looking too bad now shame frame is too big.

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y31 ... C02108.jpg

judging by the seat height (and ignoring the saddle tilt) I wouldn't say the frame is too big. If the top tube is a bit long, you could probably get away with running a slightly shorter stem.

+1 (still don't understand why you let him take the wheels for half the money and no cassette)
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team