Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    iainf72 wrote:
    But over the last few days the story has dried up a bit. Meanwhile, one of the best grand tours in living memory just took place.

Entirely natural. The investigators are doing their thing, there's no new material until they make some sort of statement, it's all behind closed doors for now. So we tread water and rehash the arguments about what we'd like to see happen, what would be good, what would be bad while we wait for something of substance. There will either be a huge explosion or the whole thing will whimper out, in which case we'll probably just carry on as we are....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I don't remember Dave 1 getting banned either - maybe it's just the collective efforts of our greying matter that means we are getting forgetful? :?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    iainf72 wrote:
    Meanwhile, one of the best grand tours in living memory just took place.
    Apart from the fact that the only team that wanted to win it badly enough, could be bothered turning out a team capable of doing so.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Apart from the fact that the only team that wanted to win it badly enough, could be bothered turning out a team capable of doing so.

All the more amazing that they only just managed to grab the pink in the nick of time, then.
    You really are a sad, one dimensional "fan", if that is your take on such a great GT.

I'm sure you'll get more from the Tour, for the obvious reason.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rockmount
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

All the more amazing that they only just managed to grab the pink in the nick of time, then.
    You really are a sad, one dimensional "fan", if that is your take on such a great GT.

I'm sure you'll get more from the Tour, for the obvious reason.
    What amazes me, is that you can form such an ill informed opinion of someone without any information or knowledge. It suits you to brand me a "fanboy" for holding an opinion opposing yours, is that the best you can come up with ? I have to assume you haven't actually witnessed too many GTs, or as usual you just adopt the opinions of other forum "experts". Perhaps you could explain just what about this Giro made it so great, whilst there was some good racing, I found it not exceptional.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I think the fact that no one knew who was going to win until the second-last day or so is a good indication that it was a great race. Unlike the Tour when EVERYONE knows who is going to win.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I don't remember Dave 1 getting banned either - maybe it's just the collective efforts of our greying matter that means we are getting forgetful? :?

I am sure I have never been banned...I've definitely had runs ins, some I provoked even...am not perfect in the debating etiquette, but have never gone over the top so much as to be locked. I have been behind the keyboard pissed a couple of times over the years, esp in 2004-2007 but never hads mods on my case. Sam Ravenbait was the mod in 2004-05 but had some runs ins with galloway and niedermyer..., but not me
  • rockmount
    Pokerface wrote:
    I think the fact that no one knew who was going to win until the second-last day or so is a good indication that it was a great race. Unlike the Tour when EVERYONE knows who is going to win.
    So if Contador had entered, it would not have great ?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    rockmount wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

quite an interesting point

if he did enter and was bound to win it.. your sort of making their point really...

and if he didn't win it..(and would he have done?) your sort of making their point really
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    There are different ways of enjoying sport:

One is by being amazed by what for most of us appear alsmost inhuman achievements.
    Another is by enjoying the tension, surprises and unpredictablility of a close fight.

We all have different preferences, but I tend to prefer the second, because it brings out the best of what makes cycling special among endurance sports - tactics..
  • rockmount
    rockmount wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

quite an interesting point

if he did enter and was bound to win it.. your sort of making their point really...

and if he didn't win it..(and would he have done?) your sort of making their point really
    I'm no fan of pistol pete ... but, there's no denying he can climb. The Giro, and in fact most GTs these days are all about VAM. The TDF has come under a lot of criticism for perhaps trying to achieve a balance (good idea, not well executed). Basso duly arrived a passenger on the Liquigas sedan (Nibali could just have easily won), and delivered a reasonable if lack lustre performance. Thats why I do not consider it t be a great GT, it was only made interesting by Basso's lack of domination in spite of the mediocre opposition ..
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    rockmount wrote:
    Basso duly arrived a passenger on the Liquigas sedan (Nibali could just have easily won), and delivered a reasonable if lack lustre performance. Thats why I do not consider it t be a great GT, it was only made interesting by Basso's lack of domination in spite of the mediocre opposition ..

What a load of nonsense. Nibali was good but if Liquigas had put their weight behind him they would've got a 2nd place rather than a win. He knew it and the team knew it.

A lacklustre performance? There were so many gutsy rides in that race, from lots of different riders and different teams. As FJS says, lot of unpredictable racing. Oh, and it was all about the racing, not people whinging about it being cold or rainy or their team mate being mean to them.

If you don't think it was a great race that's entirely your opinion but I think you'll find you're definitely in the minority.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ProBiker
    ProBiker Posts: 74
    rockmount wrote:
    Thats why I do not consider it t be a great GT, it was only made interesting by Basso's lack of domination in spite of the mediocre opposition ..

Your right, Basso was poor and the opposition was seriously mediocre....

By the way, what is your best placing in a GT?? Have you ever even raced in the "real world" you say your from??
  • rockmount
    ProBiker wrote:
    By the way, what is your best placing in a GT?? Have you ever even raced in the "real world" you say your from??
    On the barriers at the top of the Champs Elysees, looking forward to this year too...

... and you Mr ProBiker ???
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    Basso duly arrived a passenger on the Liquigas sedan (Nibali could just have easily won), and delivered a reasonable if lack lustre performance. Thats why I do not consider it t be a great GT, it was only made interesting by Basso's lack of domination in spite of the mediocre opposition ..

What a load of nonsense. Nibali was good but if Liquigas had put their weight behind him they would've got a 2nd place rather than a win. He knew it and the team knew it.

A lacklustre performance? There were so many gutsy rides in that race, from lots of different riders and different teams. As FJS says, lot of unpredictable racing. Oh, and it was all about the racing, not people whinging about it being cold or rainy or their team mate being mean to them.

If you don't think it was a great race that's entirely your opinion but I think you'll find you're definitely in the minority.

you take the bait waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too easy
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ProBiker
    rockmount wrote:
    On the barriers at the top of the Champs Elysees, looking forward to this year too...

You mean your a spectator? Well how about actually trying to climb at the VAM's of the top riders in this years giro before saying how mediocre they all were??
  • iainf72

Slow day.

Rocky is just peed off because he said Basso wouldn't ever win anything, so he's trying to remove any value from the race. :wink:
  • rockmount
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:

He does haha ... btw, it was Basso I said was lack lustre ... Cadel has the heart of a lion, not to mention Vino, Arroyo, Scarponi, Porte etc.
  • rockmount
    ProBiker wrote:
    rockmount wrote:

You mean your a spectator? Well how about actually trying to climb at the VAM's of the top riders in this years giro before saying how mediocre they all were??
    I have .... waaaay to tough for me ... I'm talking relatively, seems like you aren't talking at all ...

I usually resist, but sunshine and frozen Margraritas will do the trick !
  • iainf72
    So, final damage on Grappa, Zoncolan, Motorola (c Sean Kelly) all Basso and he was lacklustre?

Makes sense to me.
  • rockmount
    iainf72 wrote:
    So, final damage on Motorola
    Was on the phone at the time 8)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:

He does haha ... btw, it was Basso I said was lack lustre ... Cadel has the heart of a lion, not to mention Vino, Arroyo, Scarponi, Porte etc.

Usually I'm on your side rm, but to say that someone who WON a GT is lacklustre is, at least to me, a pretty jaded outlook on things.
  • ProBiker
    rockmount wrote:
    I'm talking relatively, seems like you aren't talking at all ...

Relatively speaking... your an idiot.
  • iainf72
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

You also had the sudden urge to either buy a new phone or make a call, eh?
  • rockmount
    dennisn wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:

Usually I'm on your side rm, but to say that someone who WON a GT is lacklustre is, at least to me, a pretty jaded outlook on things.
    I'm in the crap now then ... haha .. all I was saying was, it was a fine team effort by the boys in green, Basso's ride was good, not spectacular.

BTW to read the threads around here sometimes, the TDF ain't even worth winning these days, tell me about that !
  • rockmount
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Just takin' the p1ss out of your spelling :lol:
  • rockmount
    ProBiker wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    I'm talking relatively, seems like you aren't talking at all ...

Relatively speaking... your an idiot.
    Good point expertly made, you are a fine judge of idiots, I'm guessing you have a load of relevant experience !
  • mididoctors
    rockmount wrote:
    made interesting by Basso's lack of domination in spite of the mediocre opposition ..

mediocre compared with what... you make the point ...

it was interesting .... but now you qualify..

I mean the Irony is so thick we can almost taste it... yeah?
  • iainf72
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

You clearly missed the joke there.
  • rockmount
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    rockmount wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

You clearly missed the joke there.
    Just got it ...being Irish, I take exception to your slight of the great one !
    SK.jpg

Feck you ! 8)