Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    IanLD wrote:

A way round this would be to guarantee them a place in the following year's squad if they provide some information that does assist the enquiries (assuming they are now clean).

I think it depends how the USADA and co play it. If they offer something like a 3-4 month ban, over the winter in return for help, then we might get some serious traction. They need to balance incentives for speaking out and doing it right now with punish for past misdeeds.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    snakeeater wrote:
    I still think Kevin Livingstone quit his relationship with LA due to what he knew and didnt want to spit in the soup so he joined telecom only to find out they were all doing the same. So he quit cycling.

And now he runs his business in the basement of Lance's shop in Austin.

Hurray for morals.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    snakeeater wrote:
    I still think Kevin Livingstone quit his relationship with LA due to what he knew and didnt want to spit in the soup so he joined telecom only to find out they were all doing the same. So he quit cycling.

I read that as Ken Livingstone, which was extremely surreal. It's early, more coffee required.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    IanLD wrote:

A way round this would be to guarantee them a place in the following year's squad if they provide some information that does assist the enquiries (assuming they are now clean).

A bit tricky that - firstly, that assumes the rider is producing the required form for a contract renewal, secondly, if he gets hit with a lengthy ban anyway then they have an ineligible rider on their books (could possibly suspend salary for the length of the ban I suppose), thirdly how would such a position play out in wage negotiations - you've said you'll keep the rider but he wants a pay rise...

They've come pretty close to it though.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,794
    dmclite wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:
    I understand the rant, but we don't need the homophobia.

+1.

apologies no offense was ever intended...

in this context it has nothing to do with sexual orientation

the meaning of the term stems from a internet meme meaning "lightweight"

pix removed
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:
    Slipstreams management statement

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/05/ ... ion_118885

We expect anyone in our organization who is contacted by any cycling, anti-doping, or government authority will be open and honest with that authority. In that context, we expect nothing short of 100% truthfulness – whatever that truth is – to the questions they are asked. As long as they express the truth about the past to the appropriate parties, they will continue to have a place in our organization and we will support them for living up to the promise we gave the world when we founded Slipstream Sports

To me, this reads like some of them have already been offered a deal of some sort. The "continue to have a place in our organization" piece smacks of it.

then thing I like about it is it a inverted omerta..ie if you take a massive dump in the soup your kept in the circle rather than rewarded for circling the wagons

yeah better thought through than Millars anger..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:
    IanLD wrote:

I think it depends how the USADA and co play it. If they offer something like a 3-4 month ban, over the winter in return for help, then we might get some serious traction. They need to balance incentives for speaking out and doing it right now with punish for past misdeeds.

thats a walk.... can you see them being that lenient?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    An amnesty being offered? What a good idea, UCI..............oh wait! :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Heartened by the Garmin statement. Saddened by the Millar/Fat Pat article. Hopefully the former is the view that will produce results and help cycling deal with its demons.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    iainf72 wrote:
    snakeeater wrote:

Hurray for morals.

Isn't he the directeur sportif on the Livestrong Trek under 23 team these days? Back in from the cold.
  • mididoctors
    andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    snakeeater wrote:

Hurray for morals.

Isn't he the directeur sportif on the Livestrong Trek under 23 team these days? Back in from the cold.

Axel merckx
  • andyp
    Yes I know, but Livingston works under Merckx. Should have made that clearer.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    snakeeater wrote:

Hurray for morals.
    Axel merckx
    One time client of Ferrari, and the son of the man who originally introduced Armstrong to Ferrari...
  • mididoctors
    andyp wrote:
    Yes I know, but Livingston works under Merckx. Should have made that clearer.

kevin field?
  • andyp
    My mistake, he's helping out with the training and testing of the riders;

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/i ... rckx-19939
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15175682?
    Added McQuaid: "It's possible there's certain elements of truth but it's possible there are certain elements of lies. Therefore, that discredits everything he said."

McQuaid is wrong - AGAIN,

It doesn't discredit EVERYTHING FL said if there are elements of truth in the allegations - which McQuaid now admits is possible.

On an issue as big as this, it is McQuaids responsibility as head of the world governing body, to cut through the lies and find those (if any) elements of truth. Nothing less is acceptable.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15175682?
    Added McQuaid: "It's possible there's certain elements of truth but it's possible there are certain elements of lies. Therefore, that discredits everything he said."

McQuaid is wrong - AGAIN,

It doesn't discredit EVERYTHING FL said if there are elements of truth in the allegations - which McQuaid now admits is possible.

On an issue as big as this, it is McQuaids responsibility as head of the world governing body, to cut through the lies and find those (if any) elements of truth. Nothing less is acceptable.

The amount of times McQuaid has failed to demonstrate any impartiality or objectiveness is just incredible. I simply cannot fathom how he can still be in his job. At best it's hugely unprofessional of him, at worse possibly corrupt.
  • iainf72
    edited May 2010
     http://scr.bi/a5vZqC

LA stuff from SCA
  • blazing_saddles
    Another Twitter rumour just started in CN's clinic.
    Talk about another, separate bombshell, soon to be exploded in the peloton's midst.
    No clues as yet.

The same could be said of LA's testimony on the UCI donation, all of which was a lie, according to Pat's account.

Doesn't work that way. Another EPIC FAIL from the UCI's very own foot in the mouth.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Talk about another, separate bombshell, soon to be exploded in the peloton's midst.
    No clues as yet.

Could it be the motorised bikes rumour? I thought it was a p*ss take but gregor brown reckons he's seen one. Not sure if he's taking the p*ss.
  • rapid_uphill
    rapid_uphill Posts: 841
    lol
    cycling....what is it all about?
    Percy Vera wrote:
    Could it be the motorised bikes rumour?
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    This statement from Garmin seems ominous for LA and JB:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/garmin- ... stigations

It practically sets up DZ to spill his guts, which would obviously greatly add to the veracity of FL's allegations
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    That is good news, let's hope the people involved take the right option.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Everyone was pleading for Vaughters to step up to the plate - I reckon that press statement is a clear sign they're going to. The single most positive step in this saga since it broke.
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    That SCA stuff is funny. He cannot remember anything! He knows nothing about anything, he really could be a politician.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Percy Vera wrote:
    No clues as yet.

Could it be the motorised bikes rumour? I thought it was a p*ss take but gregor brown reckons he's seen one. Not sure if he's taking the p*ss.

Details here (but in Italian): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaVcb0iTRFo
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    bipedal wrote:
    This statement from Garmin seems ominous for LA and JB:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/garmin- ... stigations

It practically sets up DZ to spill his guts, which would obviously greatly add to the veracity of FL's allegations

That's really really positve. Garmin's attitude to pushing for a cleaner sport is the model all other teams should take.

I just hope CVV and DZ are given an amnesty for past discretions.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2010
    Percy Vera wrote:

Details here (but in Italian): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaVcb0iTRFo

That's clearly a wind up, and I can't even speak Italian.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Timoid. wrote:
    Garmin's attitude to pushing for a cleaner sport is the model all other teams should take. I just hope CVV and DZ are given an amnesty for past discretions.
    I'm not sure Vande Velde is completely 'on message'.

``It's unfortunate the past keeps getting dug up over and over again,'' Vande Velde said. ``It wipes away all the hard work we have been doing over the last years trying to clean up the sport and being transparent, when things that happened eight years ago keep being brought up.''

I asked Vande Velde how much credence anyone could give to Landis' allegations and confession to having been a big-time doper, given that he had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in denying he had used performance-enhancing drugs after the positive test at the 2006 Tour.

``You're not going to believe too much of it, that's for sure,'' Vande Velde said. ``It has been a long stream of lies. I'd like to say I was surprised, but nothing about Floyd surprises me any more.''

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/spo ... port-.html
  • blazing_saddles
    Thor on his pal, Lance:
    http://www.fvn.no/sport/sykkel/article766259.ece

"But there's probably something that is about to uncover in Italy, so we'll wait and see what it is, "said Hushovd.