• alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    alp777 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    FrankM wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

On Sunday when I'll do 88-100 miles mixed my average speed should be between 18 and 20mph.

The word Bollx! springs to mind

18-20mph average over 80 miles is not difficult if you're riding in a group. if you're riding on your own then its pretty impressive but its definitely possible.

Yeah. And I've averaged 30 mph over a flat 2 mile stretch on my MTB with knobblies (when I've tailed a bus). Surely if you're discussing averages they ought to be ones you can achieve by yourself!
    Still doable. Freehub is a strong rider. He's posted garmin data over the road side of the forum before now.

I've routinely done solo metric centuries in the 19-20mph bracket. HTH

A metric century is a bit different to "88 to 100 miles". I would also imagine that it's fairly flat terrain that Will's riding over as well. He also didn.t say anything about riding in a group.

Alp you are talking shite. I'm not that strong a rider, but I can dip into my Garmin Stats and pull out plenty of rides of 80miles + that have averages of over 18, some hilly some not. Some solo, some Sportives.

It's perfectly doable.

Prove it. Let's see your stats for a hilly sportive over 80 miles
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    freehub wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    FrankM wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

On Sunday when I'll do 88-100 miles mixed my average speed should be between 18 and 20mph.

18-20mph average over 80 miles is not difficult if you're riding in a group. if you're riding on your own then its pretty impressive but its definitely possible.

Yeah. And I've averaged 30 mph over a flat 2 mile stretch on my MTB with knobblies (when I've tailed a bus). Surely if you're discussing averages they ought to be ones you can achieve by yourself!
    Still doable. Freehub is a strong rider. He's posted garmin data over the road side of the forum before now.

A metric century is a bit different to "88 to 100 miles". I would also imagine that it's fairly flat terrain that Will's riding over as well. He also didn.t say anything about riding in a group.

Flat? Well it's mixed, did you not see the word mixed?

I'm not making it up I've got proof:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11782170
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10618256
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28897526
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/9110344
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13471164
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13010033
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13140580
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/8001045

Just yesterday in Cheshire combined with the ride out, the TT and the ride back I probably had an overall average of about 20mph.

So the world "Bollx" Does not indeed spring to mind.

Some of them, the longest one are riding in a group, the 165mile one was on an insanely windy day and I was on the front on the hills bit but then lets face it, who is not basically "on the front" on hills, the whole group always splits up, then on a large portion of the flat and rolling bits I was also on the front.

The 46 mile ride a couple of weeks back was on my own, yesterday was on my own, the 70 mile rides in the links above was on my own.

20mph on the flat is pretty easy for me now.

The hilly one where I did 165 miles at 18.5 avg I could have probs done it all on my own at the same speed if I got fuelling right, infact I probs did get fuelling right that day, I had so many gels and energy bars on me I could not get it wrong.

Did 116 odd miles a couple of weeks ago solo, averaged over 17, If I never bonked so bad I'd have averaged over 18, 70 miles back home with 40 psi in the front wheel and a bad headwind aswell as all my energy seemed to have being sapped away I still managed over 15mph which ain't bad considering I felt like death.

Quoted so Alp can apologise or continue to be a douche

Nice work freehub
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

By Bollx do you really mean "I couldn't do that!"

A good club rider will be 'easily' breaking the 5 hour mark for a 100 mile TT (20mph), a top club rider will be looking to break 4 hours (25mph).

Freehub, by all accounts in 'Road' forum is a decent rider doing a lot of miles.

An apology seems in order
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

A good club rider will be 'easily' breaking the 5 hour mark for a 100 mile TT (20mph), a top club rider will be looking to break 4 hours (25mph).

Freehub, by all accounts in 'Road' forum is a decent rider doing a lot of miles.

That just puts it into perspective how much more I need to improve :p, it's like I'm only on the 10th floor of a 1000 floor building.
  • alp777
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

/

Sorry guys, i'm used to riding very hilly routes. No club rider could do 100 miles in 5 hrs where i live and i would imagine no top club rider could either
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    alp777 wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

/

Sorry guys, i'm used to riding very hilly routes. No club rider could do 100 miles in 5 hrs where i live and i would imagine no top club rider could either

Where about are these hills you ride?

I bet you a top club rider could do 100 miles in 5 hours where you live.

Unless you've got a constant 10% gradient going up for about 50 miles.
  • tailwindhome
    freehub wrote:
    mixed .
    100 mile TT
    Alp777 wrote:
    very hilly routes

That's your problem with comparing 'average speeds'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alp777
    ok, apologies Freehub, i think there is a bit of a misunderstanding going on here.

I tend to ride a lot of hills/mountains on my long (training) rides and mostly solo.

I live near Abergavenny, S Wales so there are quite a few big hills down here.

I don't think there are many club riders who could do 20mph avg. around here unless in a group and doing a 100m TT around these parts in 4hrs would probably be impossible!

Surely when you talk avg. speeds you should be talking about what you do on your own, not in groups or races. Infact as tailwind says avg speed. means nothing as there are so many factors to consider, terrain, weather, riding solo, in groups, racing, TT etc.

Who started this silly topic :roll:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    alp777 wrote:
    ok, apologies Freehub, i think there is a bit of a misunderstanding going on here.

I tend to ride a lot of hills/mountains on my long (training) rides and mostly solo.

I live near Abergavenny, S Wales so there are quite a few big hills down here.

I don't think there are many club riders who could do 20mph avg. around here unless in a group and doing a 100m TT around these parts in 4hrs would probably be impossible!

Surely when you talk avg. speeds you should be talking about what you do on your own, not in groups or races. Infact as tailwind says avg speed. means nothing as there are so many factors to consider, terrain, weather, riding solo, in groups, racing, TT etc.

Who started this silly topic :roll:

the devil is in the detail, to take rides from abergavenny since I was born and spent most of my life in the area. head east on the rolling low lands and fast times are not impossible.

equally you could link up lots of the bigger hills and make a short but slow ride.
  • tailwindhome
    alp777 wrote:
    ok, apologies Freehub

Fair play to ya
  • alp777
    alp777 wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    FrankM wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Alp you are talking shite. I'm not that strong a rider, but I can dip into my Garmin Stats and pull out plenty of rides of 80miles + that have averages of over 18, some hilly some not. Some solo, some Sportives.

It's perfectly doable.

cough :lol:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I did this yesterday:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/hk/New%2 ... 58#success

It took 2 hours at an average of 15mph. The second hill actually gets up to 10% but mapmyride is cr@p so it doesn't show it!

I doubt I could do 80+ miles at 20mph average around here, but I know lots of younger, fitter people who can!

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Did the Etape yesterday - 81 miles at an average of 18.3mph. I was astonished at my speed, as the previous week I had done 82 at an average of 15.6. It really is amazing the difference lots of riders makes. Plus apart from 1 big hill, the course yesterday was pretty flat. Want to do more!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Did the Etape yesterday - 81 miles at an average of 18.3mph. I was astonished at my speed, as the previous week I had done 82 at an average of 15.6. It really is amazing the difference lots of riders makes. Plus apart from 1 big hill, the course yesterday was pretty flat. Want to do more!!

Nicely done!
    (I'm also on a Tricross, but mine appears to be slower!)

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    pottssteve wrote:

Nicely done!
    (I'm also on a Tricross, but mine appears to be slower!)

Steve

Mine has been a lot slower till yesterday, its amazing what difference a lot of other people make.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    alp777 wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    FrankM wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

It's perfectly doable.

Ok f*cknuts: here you go:

Dragon Ride

New Forest Challenge

Solo Windsor Loop

All over 18, and the dragon ride not exactly flat.
  • Right, it's on for tonight. So far this week, I've had a total average speed of 19.88 mph. That's commuting 12.5 miles each way, every day.

Tonight, despite Friday legs, I **think** I'll have a tail-wind, if I get home is a shade under 36 minutes I can push my whole-week average speed over 20 mph. :D

I missed out by a whole minute, by the way. Still, another thing to aim for.
  • alp777
    alp777 wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    FrankM wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

It's perfectly doable.

Dragon Ride

New Forest Challenge

Solo Windsor Loop

None of the above are particularly hilly, you did the "short" Dragon ride and as for the Windsor ride, lol, hilly?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    :roll: @ alp777

When in a hole, surely one should stop digging.

You guys are much fitter and faster than me. I'm very impressed by some of the Garmin data above. Here's some data of mine from a hilly ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13301698 -- 40 miles, avg 8mph (C2C day 1, on MTB)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13301688 -- 41 miles, avg 8.2mph (C2C day 2, on MTB)

Hills and I don't get on. :D I'm still just hoping to manage a 30 minute 10 this year. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • il_principe
    alp777 wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    FrankM wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

It's perfectly doable.

Dragon Ride

New Forest Challenge

Solo Windsor Loop

None of the above are particularly hilly, you did the "short" Dragon ride and as for the Windsor ride, lol, hilly?

I didn't say it was hilly, I said it was a solo ride. However, it does prove that a high av is possible even when cycling out of and back into London though, which is normally slow going.

The short Dragon is still 6,103 feet over 72 miles. I'd call that a 'Hilly Sportive' which is what you asked for. I made the point that I'm not that strong a rider, but if I can manage these averages then clearly there are gonna be many people that post on here that can do better. Face it, you've been talking sh1te.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Am I getting a breif glipse at what I could exepect to see if I were to ever venture onto the road forum here? :?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Blimey charlie! Hats and gloves on please chaps - no harsh language wot wot!

There are slow people on here and fast people. IP is one of the slow ones, he has trouble keeping up with DDD when he's beetling about at 12 mph chasing the pie master CP who can only manage 14 tops when using his vast bulk to aid him going downhill...

I'm going to be beaten up next time in the morpeth but it was worth it :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

There are slow people on here and fast people. IP is one of the slow ones, he has trouble keeping up with DDD when he's beetling about at 12 mph chasing the pie master CP who can only manage 14 tops when using his vast bulk to aid him going downhill...

Only if they catch you and it sounds like that won't be a problem :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

I think you'll find it wasn't worth it

I'll be using gloves... Gloves of Metal
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    edited May 2010
    Wowser... the hair :D

Well done for making me plan a nostalgic run through some of my favourite iron maiden tracks while there.

edit:
    run to the hills
    fear of the dark
    bring your daughter
    powerslave
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • il_principe

Only if they catch you and it sounds like that won't be a problem :wink:

:lol:

I couldn't catch a cold.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Agent57 wrote:
    :roll: @ alp777

When in a hole, surely one should stop digging.

+1

Come on then alp77, let's see some data from what you think of as hilly...

I reckon he does hill reps up Gospel Pass. Mind you, surely the speeds you hit descending round that way would result in some decent averages...
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    lol horrible quote train up there! please stop the quote train it hurts my eyes lol! :P

i done a 86 mile ride sunday and averaged 20Mph with my mate all the way going down some lovely hills on the way!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • tailwindhome
    I did 16 miles in 1 hour once.

Yes I did.

Really

Stop saying that

I did I did I did
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    lol horrible quote train up there! please stop the quote train it hurts my eyes lol! :P

i done a 86 mile ride sunday and averaged 20Mph with my mate all the way going down some lovely hills on the way!

+1