16.9mph over the last 2500miles.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Feb: 11.8 mph
    Mar: 14.0 mph
    Apr: 13.9 mph
    May: 14.9 mph

I need to get faster. :-(
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Somehow - after consciously deciding to take my time and just enjoy the glorious morning today, I upped my average from 14mph to 15.75mph :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Mines between 11 and 17. It was fastest when I first started commuting, but now I leave a little later so traffic is heavier, plus I've learnt that my legs need recovery time, so I go a lot slow or just spin lots :)

Last night I was rather lucky with the flow of lights, barely had any reds, but sadly didn't record it :( gah
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    This morning it was about 12, but I was accompanying the missus on her first ever commute, so it was very pootly.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Aidy wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Aidy, friends help out friends. Your kind of help I can do without :P :P :lol:

Hey, it's really useful! It's how I do nearly all of my speed calculations now.

I know. I just wanted someone to calculate mine for me :wink:

I admit to having a lazy streak at times.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Huzzah! 18.5 this morning over 20 miles. Probably would have been quicker had it been a tad warmer as I always struggle when it's cold. Generally though, 16-17 mph .

Depends hugely on all sorts of factors (terrain, wind, fatigue, bike, traffic) so it's not always that usefull to compare.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    No point in comparing avergae speeds. mine is only around 14mph over my commute. but i have london rush hour traffic to deal with and over 100 traffic lights but i'm still one of the fastest people on the road in london and not many commute further than me in london (not that i know everyone's distance, just doubt many people commute over 30 miles per day.)
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I was worried by average speed, as the Etape on Sunday that I am in says you should try and be ahead of the sweep up bus, that goes round at 13-14 mph.

I thought that could be difficult, but now am more confident I will be ahread.

My commute speeds seem to average just above 15mph, with a best of 18mph on the inward section last week (7.5miles)

However at weekend I did a 82 mile loop round the west coast and it came in at 15.7mph.

Roll on Sunday!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I manage 8 miles in 25 minutes on the road bike which is 19.2mph. On the commuting bike it takes 35 minutes (sometimes more) which is 13.7mph! They are all including stopping at junctions, traffic lights etc. which adds 1-2 minutes onto the time.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I was worried by average speed, as the Etape on Sunday that I am in says you should try and be ahead of the sweep up bus, that goes round at 13-14 mph.

I thought that could be difficult, but now am more confident I will be ahread.

My commute speeds seem to average just above 15mph, with a best of 18mph on the inward section last week (7.5miles)

However at weekend I did a 82 mile loop round the west coast and it came in at 15.7mph.

Roll on Sunday!!
    That's my reason for not signing up to any sportive yet. Any hills (which there are a lot in Scotland) and my speed drops like a stone so I'm still too slow to stay ahead of anything sweeping up the stragglers.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    The broom wagon won't set off until the last riders, surely. So if you leave early one, you'd easily stay ahead of it. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • suzyb wrote:
    That's my reason for not signing up to any sportive yet. Any hills (which there are a lot in Scotland) and my speed drops like a stone so I'm still too slow to stay ahead of anything sweeping up the stragglers.

Don't worry too much, just find an event with a long-course and a short-course. The Bethany Sportive I'll be doing stipulates that the long-course (110 miles ) requires a time including food-stops of 13 mph average. That gives you eight-and-a-half hours. The short course is 71 miles, meaning you'd have to go less than 8.3 mph to get swept.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Does getting 'swept' mean you get a cushy ride back with bike safely ensconced in the boot? :)
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    Does getting 'swept' mean you get a cushy ride back with bike safely ensconced in the boot? :)

Not up here, they travel round towing a huge tank full of piranhas. If you're too slow, you go in the tank; bike gets sold at auction.

Harsh, but fair.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Someone REALLY needs to explain what the hell is going on....

Average on the way home tonight.... 19.09 mph :shock:

There was no real tail wind and I struggled on the usual bits, yet somehow got home in 33 minutes. I have no idea how.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • davis
    Must be something in the air. I really tried on the way home and got 18 mph over a shade under 10 miles (countryside, couple of junctions). Getting better, but still not good enough.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    edited November 2011
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    davis wrote:
    Must be something in the air. I really tried on the way home and got 18 mph over a shade under 10 miles (countryside, couple of junctions). Getting better, but still not good enough.

Could be - I've been generally counting anything sub 1:15 for my round trip as the target to beat. In the last week I've managed three 1:12s........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    edited November 2011
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    gaz545 wrote:
    No point in comparing avergae speeds. mine is only around 14mph over my commute. but i have london rush hour traffic to deal with and over 100 traffic lights but i'm still one of the fastest people on the road in london and not many commute further than me in london (not that i know everyone's distance, just doubt many people commute over 30 miles per day.)

Modest chap too
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    gaz545 wrote:

Modest chap too

:lol:
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    gaz545 wrote:

Modest chap too
    ooooooo :twisted:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    To college I reckon my average speed is like 15, I don't like to have a speedo on that bike or I'll end up raging.

On Sunday when I'll do 88-100 miles mixed my average speed should be between 18 and 20mph.
  • gaz545 wrote:
    No point in comparing averge speeds. mine is only around 14mph over my commute. but i have london rush hour traffic to deal with and over 100 traffic lights but i'm still one of the fastest people on the road in london and not many commute further than me in london (not that i know everyone's distance, just doubt many people commute over 30 miles per day.)

i do 41miles on a brompton with a 15kg to 20kg front load, depending on which books i need. i average 14mph going, 11 mph coming home (very hilly).
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    davis wrote:

Still not good enogh? For what, winning the Tour, Olympic selection? That is a mph that I would love to have.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • davis
    davis wrote:

Still not good enogh? For what, winning the Tour, Olympic selection? That is a mph that I would love to have.....

It's not good enough for me. That 18mph had me absolutely hanging out, it was on my road bike, with no real delays. No way could I have maintained that pace for a longer ride. The figures I've had in my head as "good enough" would be something like 17-18mph average over a longer ride (more than 50 miles), and 20+mph for an absolute "destroy myself" ride home.

No idea if it's achievable for me, but as long as the targets are higher than my abilities...
  • Kieran_Burns
    My 'ultimate' ride home time for the old 14 mile commute was 45 minutes - which I did achieve, this is an average of 18.67 mph. I did this without having to nearly kill myself.

My ultimate for the 10.5 miles is 30 minutes, an average of 21mph. This will be a lung buster time

The difference is down to the type commute: the 10.5 is nearly all country road with a small village section and a fast urban one (one tiny bit of parkland), the 14 mile commute was through the middle of Derby and down the bridleway with its multiple stops.

I never actually thought I would achieve the 45 minute run as my first commute time was 1hr15mins and my aim was a constant sub 1hr. It's odd how your targets keep moving :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    14.5 miles each way; 43 traffic lights inbetween, takes somewhere between 45 - 50 mins depending upon wind, how up for it I am and what bike I'm on.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    gbsahne wrote:
    43 traffic lights inbetween

I keep meaning to count mine, but have never managed it all the way * must be bad at multitasking*