What's your average speed?

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    amnezia wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Most bike computers don't record time spent not moving. None of mine have. If you spend a lot of time at the lights, that time is discarded from the calculated average speed.

thank you, finally some common sense... :D
    Aye thenk yew.

Seriously, if your computer has auto start / stop it'll ignore time spent not moving. Stopped is stopped, whether it's 25 seconds at a red light or 6 minutes fixing a PF visit. Computer says no - you're not moving; ignore.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Agent57 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Dude, I've left my house at 9am and gotten to work at 9.38am

I've left my house at 9am and gotten to work at 9.45am

I've checked my speedo and the quicker time had a slower average speed. Deal with this.

If it's "rolling time" only, sure that's possible. But you'd also have a longer "actual riding" time to accompany the slower average speed (assuming the distance isn't a variable).

you roll towards the lights rather than hammering it then stopping abruptly... that'll mess with your average where you overall time is probably less
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited May 2010
    CiB wrote:
    Most bike computers don't record time spent not moving. None of mine have. If you spend a lot of time at the lights, that time is discarded from the calculated average speed.

Simple as this.

I've pelted along the road, got to a traffic lights had to stop (not rolled) and then start again.

I've ridden more steadily letting the light sequences play their part (less stopping and starting) and had a quicker time.

In fact, my commute is so pact full of traffic lights, traffic, road works, people aliens and weaponary no two commutes are the same. Sometimes slower speed gets me to work quicker because it allows me to negotiate obsticles more efficiently.

Sometime a balls out sprint just doesn't work and all the stopping and starting, makes things less efficient.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm dead slow :(

Only 11-12 mph and sometimes as low as 9-10 if it includes steep hills.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Now given traffic, the many different options, variables and light sequences a person encounters it could be that I spent more time riding at 17mph on the slow commute than brief sprints then sudden braking, slow acceleration after waiting at the lights on the fast commute. In fact quite often now, if I hit 30mph + on my commute I'll clock up a longer journey time than if I ride slower but steadier.

Get yourself a computer that records cycling time - I'd hate to go out without one!

Back on topic - best average this month is 17 on the way in and just short of 15 return - overall climb of about 1400 feet. Normal times are around half a mile an hour slower. This is rolling time but the difference wouldn't be great for overall.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    edited May 2010
    Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Now given traffic, the many different options, variables and light sequences a person encounters it could be that I spent more time riding at 17mph on the slow commute than brief sprints then sudden braking, slow acceleration after waiting at the lights on the fast commute. In fact quite often now, if I hit 30mph + on my commute I'll clock up a longer journey time than if I ride slower but steadier.

Get yourself a computer that records cycling time - I'd hate to go out without one!

Back on topic - best average this month is 17 on the way in and just short of 15 return - overall climb of about 1400 feet. Normal times are around half a mile an hour slower. This is rolling time but the difference wouldn't be great for overall.

I have this:

cateye%20strada%20cadence.jpg

I think some need to do my commute.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    22 mile round trip commute, taking in city centre traffic/lights and 950ft of climbing. Ride a Focus Mares CX bike with Conti Contact tyres.

Normally I'm averaging 15-16mph for the round trip. Broken down, I'm around 14mph on the way in and 16mph on the way home. I'm slower in the winter (more clothes and gear to carry) and improve as the weather gets warmer and I'm wearing and carrying less.

That said, I averaged 20.5mph on the way home on Friday as I was racing a colleague. She was in a car and lives 2 streets away. I was home first... :D

If I take the TT bike, I'm a good 2mph quicker each way.
  • CiB
    There's also the fact that the further you've gone, the less effect on your Avg there is on speed differences. 300 yards at 27mph followed by 100 yards at walking pace will drop the average hugely, whereas clearly the same 100 yards at walking pace will have virtually no effect on your average speed at the end of a century. Works the other way though - if you've done some distance and your avg is a bit on the low side, you're gonna have to go some to get it up by any decent amount.

Avg speed is a function of distance & time though. You can't change the maths regardless of how you approach the lights. It's distance over time and that's that. One of the values has to change to give a different figure.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I have this:

cateye%20strada%20cadence.jpg

thats the same computer that most of us use, which is why i know that it records rolling time and not total time.
  • rolf_f
    edited May 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:

They don't need to - it's just a case of comparing like with like. If you use your Cateye to tell you how long you have been pedalling rather than comparing against the time you left and arrived it will always, by definition, give you a shorter time for a faster average speed.

If you want to use time from A to B, you don't need the computer at all - just divide the distance of your commute by the time it took between home and office and you'll again, get a completely consistent average speed to time taken relationship.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I have this:

Well that will record "rolling time", as indicated before. Since it doesn't care whether you're stopped at the lights, and only cares that the wheel's moving, it's possible that a shorter ride could have a lower average speed; but if you also recorded the time spent stationary, you'd find that you spent more time at the lights/junctions/trackstanding to impress girls.

For example, say it's 10 miles.

Ride 1 takes 35 minutes. You're riding for 30 of them and you spent 5 minutes at lights. Average speed says 20mph. So you were slower while moving, even though the ride took less time.

Ride 2 takes 40 minutes. You're riding for 28 of them and you spent 12 minutes at lights (man, that was a bad day for red lights!). Average speed says 21.4mph. So you were faster while moving, even though the ride took longer.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DonDaddyD
    amnezia wrote:
    thats the same computer that most of us use, which is why i know that it records rolling time and not total time.

I know my equipment, I know my commute, I know me and I know my findings.

I'm not saying that what I said is a mathematical constant. I said for me on my commute it has happened.

Control and variables be damned.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    Agent57 wrote:
    For example, say it's 10 miles.

Ride 1 takes 35 minutes. You're riding for 30 of them and you spent 5 minutes at lights. Average speed says 20mph. So you were slower while moving, even though the ride took less time.

Ride 2 takes 40 minutes. You're riding for 28 of them and you spent 12 minutes at lights (man, that was a bad day for red lights!). Average speed says 21.4mph. So you were faster while moving, even though the ride took longer.
    I'm feel like I'm being blinded by science. This however sounds right.

And exactly like what I said in the beginning....

Am I being trapped...
    Food Chain number = 4

• Kallaen
    Kallaen Posts: 43
    My overall moving average from rides in 2009 and 2010 is 16,2mph. But on a single ride it depends very much on the weather, because it can get pretty windy at times, at the west coast of Denmark. Which means if its very windy my average commute (19,3miles) speed is as low as 11,2 mph. But my commute have max 5 lights and they're all within a 1 mile radius.
    It's exactly what amnezia said in the beginning:
    amnezia wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wierdly, I've had commutes that have had lower average speeds but faster times.

Its because your speedo only records rolling time and not total time.
  • DonDaddyD
    Aidy wrote:
    It's exactly what amnezia said in the beginning:
    amnezia wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wierdly, I've had commutes that have had lower average speeds but faster times.

Its because your speedo only records rolling time and not total time.

Oh then I apologise, still the thread got three pages out of it...

:lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

• rolf_f
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Oh then I apologise, still the thread got three pages out of it...

:lol::lol::lol:

I think we are all glad you're happy now :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    What's my ave speed guys? have a comp but it records rolling time, so I use the clock to note the start/stop times.*

5.5 miles in 28 mins =

5.5 miles in 32 mins =

5.5 miles in 40 mins (very relaxed home journey)

*I failed my CSE maths
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited May 2010
    5.5 miles in 28 mins = 11.8mph

5.5 miles in 32 mins = 10.3 mph

5.5 miles in 40 mins (very relaxed home journey) = 8.25 mph

Edit: The simple way to work it out for your 5.5 mile commute is:

Average speed = 330 / minutes taken.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Cafewanda wrote:
    What's my ave speed guys? have a comp but it records rolling time, so I use the clock to note the start/stop times.*

5.5 miles in 28 mins = 11.79 mph

5.5 miles in 32 mins = 10.31 mph

5.5 miles in 40 mins (very relaxed home journey) = 8.25 mph

*I failed my CSE maths

About the same as DDD :wink:
  • rolf_f
    5.5 x (60/28 )= 11.79 mph
    5.5 x (60/32)= 10.31mph
    5.5 x (60/40)= 8.25 mph

Too slow (my response, not Cafewanda average speed!!)
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    For my commute the average is between 15 and 17mph with little or no stopping.

On longer rides I seem to be able to gain and hold a higher average than on most commutes. I did a 50 mile in April at close to 17mph.

I have also noticed that this year my average is lower than the same time last year. This could be due to the fact that I am now doing a lot longer rides this year, lost weight and maybe some power etc.

It all ways surprises me just how much more effort it takes to up the average 1 or 2 mph.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    10.5 miles in about 45 mins = 14mph

...sigh.... I was rattling off 14 miles in 50 mins with stops before, now I don't stop (well hardly ever) and it's soooo slow :cry:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    On the stats board, journey times are stored as seconds: (HH * 3600) + (MM * 60) + SS

To get avg speed it divides distance by time and multiplies that out by 3600 to get MPH, formatted to two sig figs. Seems to work.

28 mins * 60 = 1680 seconds.

5.5 / 1680 * 3600 = 11.7857

Etc.
  • Cafewanda
    Rolf F wrote:
    5.5 x (60/32)= 10.31mph
    5.5 x (60/40)= 8.25 mph

Thanks for working it out UE/Rolf F. I'll make a note of them for the future as I have to take it slower this week :roll: due to my first half marathon on Sunday.
  • Cafewanda
    suzyb wrote:
    I'm dead slow :(

Only 11-12 mph and sometimes as low as 9-10 if it includes steep hills.

No sweetie. I'm dead slow :lol::lol:
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    5.5 x (60/32)= 10.31mph
    5.5 x (60/40)= 8.25 mph

Thanks for working it out UE/Rolf F. I'll make a note of them for the future as I have to take it slower this week :roll: due to my first half marathon on Sunday.

T'ya won't bother next time then
    hrumpf

:wink:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Cafewanda wrote:

5.5 miles in 28 mins =

5.5 miles in 32 mins =

5.5 miles in 40 mins (very relaxed home journey)

*I failed my CSE maths

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=5.5+mi ... tes+in+mph

:)
  • Cafewanda
    Aidy, friends help out friends. Your kind of help I can do without :P :P :lol:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Aidy, friends help out friends. Your kind of help I can do without :P :P :lol:

Hey, it's really useful! It's how I do nearly all of my speed calculations now.