What's your average speed?

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    WesternWay wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:
    43 traffic lights inbetween

I keep meaning to count mine, but have never managed it all the way * must be bad at multitasking*

I was bored :)
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    freehub wrote:

On Sunday when I'll do 88-100 miles mixed my average speed should be between 18 and 20mph.

The word Bollx! springs to mind
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited May 2010
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

On Sunday when I'll do 88-100 miles mixed my average speed should be between 18 and 20mph.

I've done 58 miles at a 20mph average and still had legs left, I don't see why its not possible depending on location/weather and other riders to work with...

gaz545 wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:
    No point in comparing avergae speeds. mine is only around 14mph over my commute. but i have london rush hour traffic to deal with and over 100 traffic lights but i'm still one of the fastest people on the road in london and not many commute further than me in london (not that i know everyone's distance, just doubt many people commute over 30 miles per day.)

Modest chap too
    ooooooo :twisted:

Shame I don't pass through Croydon, I have the same attitude doing 35 a day & thats loaded :twisted:
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

18-20mph average over 80 miles is not difficult if you're riding in a group. if you're riding on your own then its pretty impressive but its definately possible.
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    amnezia wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

18-20mph average over 80 miles is not difficult if you're riding in a group. if you're riding on your own then its pretty impressive but its definitely possible.

Yeah. And I've averaged 30 mph over a flat 2 mile stretch on my MTB with knobblies (when I've tailed a bus). Surely if you're discussing averages they ought to be ones you can achieve by yourself!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FrankM wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

18-20mph average over 80 miles is not difficult if you're riding in a group. if you're riding on your own then its pretty impressive but its definitely possible.

Yeah. And I've averaged 30 mph over a flat 2 mile stretch on my MTB with knobblies (when I've tailed a bus). Surely if you're discussing averages they ought to be ones you can achieve by yourself!
    Still doable. Freehub is a strong rider. He's posted garmin data over the road side of the forum before now.

I've routinely done solo metric centuries in the 19-20mph bracket. HTH
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    JonGinge wrote:
    ... Freehub is a strong rider. He's posted garmin data over the road side of the forum before now.

Part of the problem with posting average speed data is that it is self-selected.

People remember their good days selectively and guys like JonGinge & Freehub post times that are perfectly accurate but impressive, modestly claiming that they are no big deal. I wouldn't generally post my average, 'cos it's nothing to write home about....

For "most" cyclists (please don't ask me to define that!), maintaining this sort of average is in-your-dreams territory. I ride occasionally with a group of guys from my village, (mostly not regular cyclists, though they enjoy a good road trip) and there are one or two out of maybe twenty that are quite fast. I don't consider myself one of the fast ones (and neither do they) but the rest of the group does, 'cos I'm faster than they are.

Once you get over ~12mph, most of your energy is going to overcoming wind resistance, by the time you get to 16mph you are generating your own headwind and maintaining 18-20 means continuously expending a significant amount of energy.

I'd reckon that only a modest percentage of "cyclists" can manage that. People who can do sixty miles at 20mph on a hybrid they got from Halfords last summer are few & far between...

As I say- most of the people I know reckon I'm quick and I can average 16mph. The keen cyclists know better, and can go significantly quicker than that, but I think it takes some combination of fitness, technique and natural ability to reach that level.

I may be wrong... it would be kind not to point it out too bluntly, though :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • jonginge
    edited May 2010
    JonGinge wrote:
    ... Freehub is a strong rider. He's posted garmin data over the road side of the forum before now.

Part of the problem with posting average speed data is that it is self-selected.

People remember their good days selectively and guys like JonGinge & Freehub post times that are perfectly accurate but impressive, modestly claiming that they are no big deal. I wouldn't generally post my average, 'cos it's nothing to write home about....

For "most" cyclists (please don't ask me to define that!), maintaining this sort of average is in-your-dreams territory. I ride occasionally with a group of guys from my village, (mostly not regular cyclists, though they enjoy a good road trip) and there are one or two out of maybe twenty that are quite fast. I don't consider myself one of the fast ones (and neither do they) but the rest of the group does, 'cos I'm faster than they are.

Once you get over ~12mph, most of your energy is going to overcoming wind resistance, by the time you get to 16mph you are generating your own headwind and maintaining 18-20 means continuously expending a significant amount of energy.

I'd reckon that only a modest percentage of "cyclists" can manage that. People who can do sixty miles at 20mph on a hybrid they got from Halfords last summer are few & far between...

As I say- most of the people I know reckon I'm quick and I can average 16mph. The keen cyclists know better, and can go significantly quicker than that, but I think it takes some combination of fitness, technique and natural ability to reach that level.

I may be wrong... it would be kind not to point it out too bluntly, though :-)

Cheers,
    W.
    Not wrong at all about the self-selected averages ;). Training rides are completely different to commute rides. My commute averages are quite modest due to traffic.

My actual point was that it was said that Freehub's claims were bollox. I'm a reasonable rider and can achieve similar averages on training rides. I know, however, that there are a lot of faster, stronger, more dedicated riders than me (I get my ar$e whupped in Cat4 crit races) who could achieve much better solo averages.

Edit: I should add that those training rides are not 'no big deal'. They hurt like hell but that's how you improve. Subsequent slower recovery days are needed as well...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Moving average for 10 miles accross London at rush hours is between 15.5 and 17.5 mph over a 80-100 mile week. That's a cruising speed of (generally) 20-23mph, with slow parts throughout and 50 or so sets of lights. Interestingly the last mile (through the City from the Embankment) is only 1/10 of the distance of my journey but usually a 1/4 of the time.
  • jonginge
    W1 wrote:
    Moving average for 10 miles accross London at rush hours is between 15.5 and 17.5 mph over a 80-100 mile week. That's a cruising speed of (generally) 20-23mph, with slow parts throughout and 50 or so sets of lights. Interestingly the last mile (through the City from the Embankment) is only 1/10 of the distance of my journey but usually a 1/4 of the time.
    Yep, same for me. Embankment to Old Street takes an inordinate amount of time
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    JonGinge wrote:
    W1 wrote:

I used to think embankment was one of the quickest sections... Last couple of days of my mini extension I end up with 17ish avg when I leave embankment for kings road and then by the time i get home its up to 18+

Though traffic last 6 days or so - been worse than before. Varies quite a lot but pre-parliament cars and buses going home has been shite of late.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • W1
    JonGinge wrote:
    W1 wrote:

I used to think embankment was one of the quickest sections... Last couple of days of my mini extension I end up with 17ish avg when I leave embankment for kings road and then by the time i get home its up to 18+

Though traffic last 6 days or so - been worse than before. Varies quite a lot but pre-parliament cars and buses going home has been shite of late.

That can happen depending on time of day - morning run it's not so bad.

Compared to my old (but shorter in distance) commute via Kings Road, Buck Pal, Strand, City, it's much much faster! Although to be fair I only measure my average over a week, rather than in sections.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    From Clapton to Blackfriars takes me about 20 - 25 min each way, about 10kms. Average is between 22 and 28kph on the Rockhopper (get with the times imperialists!)
  • W1
    agg25 wrote:
    From Clapton to Blackfriars takes me about 20 - 25 min each way, about 10kms. Average is between 22 and 28kph on the Rockhopper (get with the times imperialists!)

As that's London, it's miles and MPH sunshine!
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    Moving average for 12 miles accross London at rush hours is between 14.0 and 17.0 mph depending on whether I am coming to work or going home (I live on a hill). The average moving speed of the total return journey is just over 15.0 mph. That includes getting through Camden and Warren Street to Trafalgar Square.

Does anyone else use GPS? Mine frequently thinks I'm moving at around 2 mph when I'm actually stationary at lights :shock:
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    JonGinge wrote:
    FrankM wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Still doable. Freehub is a strong rider. He's posted garmin data over the road side of the forum before now.

A metric century is a bit different to "88 to 100 miles". I would also imagine that it's fairly flat terrain that Will's riding over as well. He also didn.t say anything about riding in a group.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    alp777 wrote:
    He also didn.t say anything about riding in a group.

I think he has elsewhere though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    On my 11.5 miles commute from central London to Morden, I average about 14mph, this includes stopping at red lights !
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Ohh, I logged this today on me route into London from the SE.

Distance: 11.2 miles,
    Average Speed: 14.7
    Average Moving Speed: 16.1mph
    Max Speed: 25mph
    Total Moving Time: 41mins
    Total Time: 46mins

Had a pretty good run of the lights all the way and not much traffic. It's mostly bus lanes :)
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Whilst at uni a friend of mine did a 200 mile solo trip from Preston to Oxford in 10 hours.... he was a CAT 2 rider though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Set a new PB this morning in the ideal weather conditions, 22mins dead for 7.5miles so 20.45mph average, not bad for a flat barred hybrid on MTB 26" wheels I don't think.

Return journey is about 25mins (about 17.5mph) as 3 miles of my route are a continuous gentle downhill so I'm 2-3 gears higher coming down than going up, also its the first 3 miles on the way to work, last 3 on the way home!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • insomniboy
    insomniboy Posts: 30
    I got a Garmin in November and have been religiously recording and trying to beat my commute times (and it's nice to see I'm not alone).
    13.7ish mile commute from suburbs into central london; residential, a20, a2, then over Waterloo. The roadworks around there really spoilt things over the last few months though.

A standard 'good' ride will leave me with an 18.blah mph average, normal riding leaves me with a mid 16mph average, and the course record is 20.1mph, moving average.
    Looking at the log, that's without putting a foot down between the flyover on the New Kent Road and New Cross. With aerobars. So that did me a few favours. Was still climbing Eltham Hill in the high teens mph, so some of it was 'legitimate'.

(yeah, taking it quite seriously lately)
    I\'m not doing laps, I\'m looking for the way out.
  • Right, it's on for tonight. So far this week, I've had a total average speed of 19.88 mph. That's commuting 12.5 miles each way, every day.

Tonight, despite Friday legs, I **think** I'll have a tail-wind, if I get home is a shade under 36 minutes I can push my whole-week average speed over 20 mph. :D
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It does pi$$ me off that people want to pass judgement on figures other people write. My first post on here was looking for some guidance on how best to tackle to 30-mile round trip Highland commute to get fit. Without having any idea of what a good average speed was (except for my keen cyclist colleagues telling me that 20mph ought to be possible) I posted that I averaged around 19mph (I've cycled all my life). The next several pages of the thread were people arguing that it was impossible. WTF difference does it make? It isn't a competition and I wasn't looking for kudos but help. I've had the same response about weight (fat vs muscle) - again, people passing judgement. What's the point?

Anyhow, to get back OT - I average high 18's on the road bike. I've done one run on my new Cube Reaction MTB (similar weight but with nobblies) and averaged 16mph (and sore legs). As stated, wind makes a huge difference especially in rural areas - I generally have a cross-wind but still days are blissful. My route has 1100ft of climbing and is very rough but no lights and not much traffic (though I stop for oncoming cars on the single-track roads).

More important though than your average speed (which as has been sensibly posted is unique to you & your ride) is improving. Oh, and enjoying it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    alp777 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    FrankM wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

A metric century is a bit different to "88 to 100 miles". I would also imagine that it's fairly flat terrain that Will's riding over as well. He also didn.t say anything about riding in a group.

Alp you are talking shite. I'm not that strong a rider, but I can dip into my Garmin Stats and pull out plenty of rides of 80miles + that have averages of over 18, some hilly some not. Some solo, some Sportives.

It's perfectly doable.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    My figures are pretty similar to others; 14 miles each way, rolling average normally somewhere between 17 and 20mph, dependent mostly on traffic (cruising speed somewhere in the low 20s).

Tried an interesting experiment yesterday; my commuting HR varies a lot, but when I'm not waiting at lights it's normally around 85% of max. Yesterday, feeling a bit low on mojo, I tried pootling in with a strict limit of 65% of max (which basically feels like doing no work at all). Moving average for that ride (with fairly average-seeming traffic) was 16.7. So all that hard work is gaining me somewhere between 0.3 and 3mph extra; go figure!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    TGOTB wrote:
    So all that hard work is gaining me somewhere between 0.3 and 3mph extra; go figure!

Well it takes 4x the effort to go twice as fast because of wind resistance.

There's a lot to be said for having gentle days if you commute almost every day. It allows you to exercise your muscles whilst still replenishing your glycogen stores (provided you are below 70% max). One HR training technique is to only ever ride ABOVE 85% or BELOW 70% (alternate) - it is apparently great for increasing your average speed. Basically you should be passing everything or everything should be passing you (the hard bit).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    JonGinge wrote:
    W1 wrote:

I have the same with the run from old street to london bridge.

The 4 miles from home to old street takes about 10-12 minutes. The 1.5 miles from old street onwards also takes 10-12 minutes.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    alp777 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    FrankM wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    alp777 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Flat? Well it's mixed, did you not see the word mixed?

I'm not making it up I've got proof:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11782170
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10618256
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28897526
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/9110344
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13471164
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13010033
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13140580
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/8001045

Just yesterday in Cheshire combined with the ride out, the TT and the ride back I probably had an overall average of about 20mph.

So the world "Bollx" Does not indeed spring to mind.

Some of them, the longest one are riding in a group, the 165mile one was on an insanely windy day and I was on the front on the hills bit but then lets face it, who is not basically "on the front" on hills, the whole group always splits up, then on a large portion of the flat and rolling bits I was also on the front.

The 46 mile ride a couple of weeks back was on my own, yesterday was on my own, the 70 mile rides in the links above was on my own.

20mph on the flat is pretty easy for me now.

The hilly one where I did 165 miles at 18.5 avg I could have probs done it all on my own at the same speed if I got fuelling right, infact I probs did get fuelling right that day, I had so many gels and energy bars on me I could not get it wrong.

Did 116 odd miles a couple of weeks ago solo, averaged over 17, If I never bonked so bad I'd have averaged over 18, 70 miles back home with 40 psi in the front wheel and a bad headwind aswell as all my energy seemed to have being sapped away I still managed over 15mph which ain't bad considering I felt like death.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    most cycle computers read average speed while moving so stops at lights etc have a lower bearing on the reduction of average speed than one might think(obviously the deceleration/ acceleration phases slow you down a bit!). i reset my computer once a week and it nearly always has between 15 and 18 mph on it.