Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Marcus_C wrote:
    Marcus_C wrote:
    Nice weather this morning, kept up a nice 35mph coming off the pennines for longer than was fair to all those without hills, I do like that route in the mornings!! http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/31076042/

Bloodyhell :shock: A CAT 4 climb on a commute!

I don't do it everyday! the normal one through dronfield is enough.

I did kind of wonder - my best mate lives in Beauchief so I know the area and I thought the preferred route was through Dronfield.

I hope this Lahndan lot are taking note of this :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The Finmere bypass (dual c/way) out of Buckingham is being resurfaced this week, one lane at a time. I was hoping to get first use of the still-coned-off-last-night new lane 1 this morning, but they opened it up overnight so instead I had free unfettered use of lane 2, closed off in readiness for the first layer scrape later today. Brill - a whole lane just for me, coned off, just one workman with his wheel-on-a-stick measuring device who bade me a cheery good morning as I passed him on the long steady climb.

Additional bonus non-rant - the endless stream of traffic doing 40 in lane 1 suddenly developed a large gap just as I needed to divert across it to slot left into the country lanes half way up. Couldn't have planned it better if I'd tried.

And it was sunny, with a tail wind. How good was that?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Anti rant at myself :D

Got a guy from work to commute in by bike. He lives a couple of miles further away than me, so we met at the end of my road and I 'shepherded' him in. It was a bit slower than normal, but a beautiful day for a ride and it was nice to have a bit of company. I normally resort to speaking to the animals! :oops:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I saw a young girl (primary school age) stop at one of the crossings on Long Lane, dismount her bike in preparation for walking across. She looked very sweet in her helmet and uniform. Nice 8)

Wish I saw more Lunnun kids riding to school.
  • CiB
    Cafewanda wrote:
    I saw a young girl (primary school age) stop at one of the crossings on Long Lane, dismount her bike in preparation for walking across. She looked very sweet in her helmet and uniform. Nice 8)

Wish I saw more Lunnun kids riding to school.
    See if I'd posted this there'd be all sorts of fuss. :roll:
  • CiB wrote:
    The Finmere bypass (dual c/way) out of Buckingham is being resurfaced this week, one lane at a time. I was hoping to get first use of the still-coned-off-last-night new lane 1 this morning, but they opened it up overnight so instead I had free unfettered use of lane 2, closed off in readiness for the first layer scrape later today. Brill - a whole lane just for me, coned off, just one workman with his wheel-on-a-stick measuring device who bade me a cheery good morning as I passed him on the long steady climb.

Additional bonus non-rant - the endless stream of traffic doing 40 in lane 1 suddenly developed a large gap just as I needed to divert across it to slot left into the country lanes half way up. Couldn't have planned it better if I'd tried.

And it was sunny, with a tail wind. How good was that?

bad form entering a "chapter8" zone on your bike.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • CiB
    Better than blocking a narrowed lane though on the only overtaking section for miles in either direction. Not strictly Ch8 though, acc to Dr Google.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    To the two cyclists on the CS7 route: one courier dressed in black with tats on both legs, All Star footwear, riding a yellow bike and his mate on a dark green bike, blue top, light green 3/4 cycling trousers, Sidi shoes.

I loved your riding styles. Smooth. No sudden stops or swerves. Just calm riding, very aware of your surroundings, shoulder checks and signals where appropriate. Made everybody else look like they were trying too hard :)

I wanna ride like you twos when I grow up.

In other news: Lovely ride in. Lots of cycllists on my route. Nice 8)
  • Big thank you to the taxi driver this morning who started to pull out from the taxi rank to get a place in a line of cars waiting at a red light and then, seeing me filtering up the inside, reversed back to let me get through to the ASL.

Very thoughtful and made my commute even more pleasant than it already was. :D
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Not only was it a lovely morning, but there were other cyclists going the same way as me!

I even turned down the possibility of my first ever SCR action to keep a nice young lady company as she was struggling on her third ever commute. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :lol:
  • Big Wib wrote:
    Not only was it a lovely morning, but there were other cyclists going the same way as me!

I even turned down the possibility of my first ever SCR action to keep a nice young lady company as she was struggling on her third ever commute. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :lol:

Chivalry trumps cycle rivalry :wink:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Can any more be said than it's a stunning morning and I'm about to head to the shops with the MiniAH on our bikes for BBQ stuff?

Perfick
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm not the only cyclist in the village :D

Saw another woman out cycling up and down the street today, a er...larger woman like me :D Seemed like she was trying to get used to the road bike she was on. Unfortunatly I couldn't tell what it was.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I was out in the front garden today - trying to tame this insane bloody hedge and I could not believe the number of cyclists going up the hill past my place.

I was out there for hours today (I'm probably burnt!) and it was just a non-stop train. It appears I live on one of the main routes for training and group rides (the biggest group was 12 guys all in a line / clump) :D

I never knew this. I might set up shop for bike supplies, drinks and munchies. I could make a fortune!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    My goodness.

What a glorious day. 70 miles of bowling around in the Forest of Dean (sometimes quite slowly - reacquainted myself with something called a 'hill' after 8 months in London), now slightly sunburnt and very, very happy!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Beeeeeeautiful commute this morning. Considerate drivers everywhere :shock: (have the schools broken up? Is that it?) I was dishing out waves and thumbs up like they were going out of fashion. Passed a layby at just the right time to be able to tuck in and let a HGV past, after he'd been nice enough to wait, and got a big wave and a 'thanks' from the driver.

Traffic in town at the end of the commute was free flowing enough that I wasn't having to filter/overtake like normal, but the cars behind me were patient/anticipating enough to see that there was no need to overtake due to small queues ahead at roundabouts/traffic lights. You know the drivers who sit behind you for a couple of minutes until it's properly safe to overtake, which they do nice and widely? The kind who appear once or twice a week? Well it seemed like everyone was doing that today.

Brilliant, just brilliant :D
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Hooray, my son has grasped the concept of pedalling, and can now happily pootle along outside :D
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Thank you to Ben, the very kind cyclist who helped me out tonight when my bungee cord decided to snap and then wrap itself around my rear cassette. Just getting the bike rideable (even if it was more like a fixie since I couldn't freewheel) saved me a long walk.

Thankfully, it was a very very light traffic night so I didn't have to stop/slow down often!
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Woken up by work at 1:30. Woken up by baby at 3:30 (didn't really go back to sleep TBH). Had a fight with the missus because she was p'd off about not getting enough sleep. Why is this in anti-rants?

Because my ride in was AWESOME. On the road at 5:30, hardly any cars, took the long route through Earlsfield, Wandsworth, Putney, Hammersmith, Kensington. Hardly any red lights at all. I'd forgotten how used I'd become to stopping every few hundred yards. Fulham Palace Road especially was a joy :-)
  • denise at capita It fleet management who was horrified to hear about the near off i had caused by one of there vans and promised me she would sort it.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • I would like to say thank-you to the karmic forces of the universe. Was overtaken rather closely by a boy-racer in a pimped-out Peugeot. Suddenly I heard a crunch-ping noise from my front-tyre, followed by a loud thud noise from said Pug. My wonderful tyres had flicked a stone sideways and caused a nasty-looking dent in his car.

Thank-you, Karma. :D
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I would like to say thank-you to the karmic forces of the universe. Was overtaken rather closely by a boy-racer in a pimped-out Peugeot. Suddenly I heard a crunch-ping noise from my front-tyre, followed by a loud thud noise from said Pug. My wonderful tyres had flicked a stone sideways and caused a nasty-looking dent in his car.

Thank-you, Karma. :D
    ha ha ha ha
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Dinged a car like that myself, did I feel guilty? Nope, just one of those things.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    Went for a test ride with the cycle computer that arrived this morning. Checked it was showing the right speed with a few rides past one of those speed display boards in a 20mph zone, then hit 30mph easily coming home through Balham. Lovely. :D
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • When things decide to fly off my bike, they usually do it when there's a lorry on my tail and the liberated article gets immediately smashed to smithereens. Not tonight, though. The lorry on my tail saw my rear light launch itself into the air, stopped without pancaking it and beeped his horn. By the time I'd turned round, a pedestrian had nipped into the road and picked it up for me.

This sort of civil behaviour simply wouldn't have happened if I'd been riding without lights :wink:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    When things decide to fly off my bike, they usually do it when there's a lorry on my tail and the liberated article gets immediately smashed to smithereens. Not tonight, though. The lorry on my tail saw my rear light launch itself into the air, stopped without pancaking it and beeped his horn. By the time I'd turned round, a pedestrian had nipped into the road and picked it up for me.

This sort of civil behaviour simply wouldn't have happened if I'd been riding without lights :wink:

this "kinda" happened to me years ago, about 8 years i think, riding my bike on the road mobile falls out of my pocket van behind me swerves to avoid squishing it an beeps at me, see not all van drivers are bad uns'
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Kieran_Burns
    Oh... come on! :D:D:D

What a morning!!!! 8) :shock: 8)

How unutterably gorgeous is it today? Barely any wind, quiet roads and blazing sunshine.

PB on the Tricross for a commute in, and my mate having what sounded like multiple orgasms behind me he was enjoying the bike ride so much! :shock: :lol:

There was a small headwind and I led out the whole way in, but he was having such a great ride I didn't want to spoil it for him, so I stayed in front and let him get the tow.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Oh... come on! :D:D:D

What a morning!!!! 8) :shock: 8)

How unutterably gorgeous is it today? Barely any wind, quiet roads and blazing sunshine.

PB on the Tricross for a commute in, and my mate having what sounded like multiple orgasms behind me he was enjoying the bike ride so much! :shock: :lol:

There was a small headwind and I led out the whole way in, but he was having such a great ride I didn't want to spoil it for him, so I stayed in front and let him get the tow.

Isn't it just.

Also a PB this morning, but part of that was down to leaving the house at 7 and the chap on the Pinarello I took turns with from Hampton Court to the Park and then from Rocks Lane to Hammersmith.

They reckon it will be 23c by Thursday in London. Woot.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Perfect, just bloody perfect out there this morning!

Flew in on Monday legs.

And I've got my second lesson at the velodrome tonight to look forward too!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    i like his thread :)
    it makes me happy reading good stories!
    makes me want to be a nicer person!
    *my bike is in the shop getting fixed / and waiting for insurance to say they'll fix it - hope its soon! *
    and its nearly easter!!! wooo super long weekend
    thank you to the prince for getting hitched! booked off the 3 days in the midle :P