Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• It was a great day out. Cracking route, great coffee and company. Whats not to like..... Definitely up for the return fixture to the source.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A bloke I follow on Instagram and Strava did the same too ove the weekend :lol: There's a similar walk for the bridges over the Avon in Bristol that I keep meaning to plan but a few more bridges have been added since this was originally done so I'll need ot go back to the drawing board and start fresh.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    redvee wrote:
    A bloke I follow on Instagram and Strava did the same too over the weekend.

He sounds like a top bloke :lol::wink:
    FCN = 4
  • redvee
    After breaking the chain mid-ride on Thursday I had to resort to the bus and train to get to work, total cost for the 10 mile journey £1.20 :D The revenue inspector on the train didn't want to collect any revenue but no way of evading the fare on the bus for the 6 minute journey.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    First commute by bike since school started.

Ride in the dark - not bad, light bit of rain - didn't get wet, still getting over a cough - ride gently

Really was quite nice :)
  • redvee
    Guy in work had a flat innertube despite it being filled with Slime, if Slime didn't do it's job then the hole(s) are big. Gave him one of my spare tubes and hoped the PF wouldn't visit me as I only had one spare and told the guy to sort it out tomorrow with regards repayment etc, TBH I was happy with a cup of coffee from the canteen at £2. As our meal breaks are different times he said I'll give you £3 when we're in the bike sheds after work. Had a brief chat and said about the holes in his tube being too big for Slime to work and to bin the tube and reasurred him that a 25c tube in his 40c tyre would be OK.
  • slowbike
    Little Slowbike still wanted to ride to school this morning - it was raining - it didn't put him off ...

We were quite lucky, there was a break in the rain right on the time we needed to go ... :)

Oh - and the car that came out of the estate behind us, waited patiently for us, then stopped at the main road crossing to let us across :)
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    WFH today. It may have been windy, but it was sunny and reasonably warm so, after riding with my eldest to school, took a wrong turn, got lost, and made it back home 25 miles later. Lovely ride, thoroughly enjoyable, and first time I'd done anything other than commuting since August.

EDIT: Also aced the clothing. Arm warmers plus gabba = great flexibility in Autumn/Spring here in Scotland
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Slowbike wrote:
    Little Slowbike still wanted to ride to school this morning - it was raining - it didn't put him off ...

We were quite lucky, there was a break in the rain right on the time we needed to go ... :)

Oh - and the car that came out of the estate behind us, waited patiently for us, then stopped at the main road crossing to let us across :)

Liked!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Slowbike wrote:

Great to hear!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    redvee wrote:
    After breaking the chain mid-ride on Thursday I had to resort to the bus and train to get to work, total cost for the 10 mile journey £1.20 :D The revenue inspector on the train didn't want to collect any revenue but no way of evading the fare on the bus for the 6 minute journey.
    Blimey.
    5 mins on the bus here (home to train station) is about £4 because they want everyone to buy day/weekly tickets. I'd rather run/walk/cycle.
  • redvee
    Blimey.
    5 mins on the bus here (home to train station) is about £4 because they want everyone to buy day/weekly tickets. I'd rather run/walk/cycle.

Tickets bought in advance on the app for the bus company are cheaper but you have to buy them in 5's and I was about to when the bus turned up.
  • Cycling into work yesterday my chain kept skipping. Tried adjusting the barrel adjuster to absolutely no effect. Thought I'd need to spend some time at the weekend re-indexing - time I don't have at the moment with a 9 month old son.
    On the way home, turned corner into a slight hill, put power down and my chain snapped - that'd explain the skipping.

Why is this an anti-rant? There was a lovely woman and her son who came out of their house (son in cycling gear) to see if I was OK and needed any help or tools. I had a spare quicklink and my multi-tool so 5 minutes later was back on my bike and my chain behaved all the way home.
    Thank you to that kind lady and her son, I didn't take them up on their offer but was good to know people are willing to help.
  • redvee
    Cycling into work yesterday my chain kept skipping. Tried adjusting the barrel adjuster to absolutely no effect. Thought I'd need to spend some time at the weekend re-indexing - time I don't have at the moment with a 9 month old son.
    On the way home, turned corner into a slight hill, put power down and my chain snapped - that'd explain the skipping.

Why is this an anti-rant? There was a lovely woman and her son who came out of their house (son in cycling gear) to see if I was OK and needed any help or tools. I had a spare quicklink and my multi-tool so 5 minutes later was back on my bike and my chain behaved all the way home.
    Thank you to that kind lady and her son, I didn't take them up on their offer but was good to know people are willing to help.

Similar to me a few weeks back, chain skipping and despite no obvious bad links on the chain when I looked it stopped then snapped as I pulled away from some lights. As I was considering my options with no tools or quick link a car stopped and offered help but when I said I needed a chain tool the driver drove off saying she couldn't help.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Just replaced the cassette and chain on my Trek checkpoint commuter (shimano tiagra) and now the sodding gears are all out. Why does this happen :evil:
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    thiscocks wrote:
    Just replaced the cassette and chain on my Trek checkpoint commuter (shimano tiagra) and now the sodding gears are all out. Why does this happen :evil:

Wrong thread?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    DrHaggis wrote:
    thiscocks wrote:

Wrong thread?
    Nah, probably something to do with the indexing.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • redvee
    Was being followed by WVM more colourful cousin in a red van and he pulled up beside me at a red light and the passenger window dropped....

RVM: You were going 32 mph, fair play, f*****g flying.
    Me: Your speedo's wrong, I say 25mph (from when I glanced at Garmin)
    RVM & Passenger: Laughter
    Me: Even then that's too slow for some car drivers.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Spidey sense tinging away this morning, doubled checked my camera was running.
    Turned out it wasn't, so turned it on.

18 seconds later skimmed by some a-hole squeezing past me through a road narrowing caused by a pedestrian island; their wheels actually bumped up onto the central island as they skimmed past; I was surprised they didn't flip their van.

Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    (aldi camera broke - bum)
    Anti-Rant
    Other 1/2 got Little Slowbike into mountain biking over the 1/2 term - he's even giving briefings at the start of the section ... :smiley: then following him down the trail - listening to him giving instructions on where to place the bike is just amazing.
    He's only just started school!
  • wolfsbane2k
    slowbike said:

Anti-Rant
    Other 1/2 got Little Slowbike into mountain biking over the 1/2 term - he's even giving briefings at the start of the section ... :smiley: then following him down the trail - listening to him giving instructions on where to place the bike is just amazing.
    He's only just started school!

That must bring a spark to your heart.
  • slowbike

slowbike said:

Anti-Rant
    Other 1/2 got Little Slowbike into mountain biking over the 1/2 term

That must bring a spark to your heart.
    It's great seeing the little ones enthused about activity.
    Sure - give him a phone/tablet with a game and he'll be engrossed for ages - but give him a bike/boat/playground and he's just as entertained - if not more so.

It does cost a lot in marshmallows though ... ;)
  • mtb-idle
    edited November 2019
    One of the finest weeks of my life was when I took my then 16 year old son (he's now 28) to Les Arcs for a week's downhilling on our MTB's. Thrilling and terrifying to see him flying down the mountain ahead of me .

We've been back to the alps many times since but nothing beats the thrill of that first week together.

FCN = 4
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I get to ride to work again tomorrow.

Security is poor and getting too and from the shower will add 15 minutes to my day, but I'll be happy that I get to ride.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • redvee
    Bought an office chair from a second hand furniture place over the weekend, the seat tilts, adjustable height and arms in height and width. Curiously I looked online for it tonight, the £30 chair retails for nearly £1k.
  • slowbike
    Little Slowbike took his cousins out for a MTB ride ... they enjoyed it ...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    redvee said:

Bought an office chair from a second hand furniture place over the weekend, the seat tilts, adjustable height and arms in height and width. Curiously I looked online for it tonight, the £30 chair retails for nearly £1k.

Herman Miller Aeron B. There are loads of copies out there as well. 20 odd years ago I was working for BT on my way through Uni and had very similar chairs on site, for over 1200 us on site.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mtb-idle
    edited January 2020
    Two weeks late but i've just compiled a video review of my best bits of 2019. Damn, I had a great year.

Featuring brief cameo appearances from @dizzydane @veronese68 @smokey_bacon @anonymousblackfg @Rhodrich
    FCN = 4
  • Thank you very much to the cyclists who stopped to give me a gel and top up my water bottle yesterday.
    Through a series of self inflicted errors, my relatively short ride of 30 miles left me completely exhausted with 5 miles to home. I had to stop and sit on the curb for about 10 mins to recover to be able to get home! If it wasn't for those awesome cyclists stopping, I'd have had to call my wife for a lift home.
  • slowbike
    Ah - first commute by bike for a couple of weeks due to ill health ...
    wasn't as cold as I'd anticipated! :)