Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• After a pretty rubbish week at work, I set out on the commute home this evening just desperate to reach my destination. Weary legged and having been passed by two 4x4s whose drivers had decided there was room to pass me on the single-track road, as long as I didn't mind being pushed into the verge, I started off quite grumpily.

But after a couple of miles, as the sun cast long shadows across the south Norfolk countryside and I got into a rhythm that warmed me just sufficiently in the chilly evening, I realised I was rather enjoying myself. Then I turned a corner and spotted, some distance ahead of me, what even my non-ornithological brain identified as a barn owl. He was flying away from me but then turned and flew straight towards me, eventually landing in a ditch to my left. As I reached the ditch, he took off again and flew in the same direction as me in the field alongside. For half a mile or so, we kept pace with each other and travelled side by side. We were moving at about 20mph and I confess my eyes were on my feathered companion and rarely on the deserted road during this time. When a row of trees interrupted the owl's flight path, he soared over them and banked to his right to fly over the road just a few feet ahead of me. Like this he stayed for a short while, affording me a fantastic view of a majestic bird in flight. Then he veered further right and disappeared behind some more trees, but it was almost as if he had bade me farewell before doing so. Awesome. I finished my cycle home with a big grin across my face.

You don't get this when you drive, do you? I love cycling. Rubbish week at work? Pah, can't remember it.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Hot Orange wrote:
    After a pretty rubbish week at work, I set out on the commute home this evening just desperate to reach my destination. Weary legged and having been passed by two 4x4s whose drivers had decided there was room to pass me on the single-track road, as long as I didn't mind being pushed into the verge, I started off quite grumpily.

But after a couple of miles, as the sun cast long shadows across the south Norfolk countryside and I got into a rhythm that warmed me just sufficiently in the chilly evening, I realised I was rather enjoying myself. Then I turned a corner and spotted, some distance ahead of me, what even my non-ornithological brain identified as a barn owl. He was flying away from me but then turned and flew straight towards me, eventually landing in a ditch to my left. As I reached the ditch, he took off again and flew in the same direction as me in the field alongside. For half a mile or so, we kept pace with each other and travelled side by side. We were moving at about 20mph and I confess my eyes were on my feathered companion and rarely on the deserted road during this time. When a row of trees interrupted the owl's flight path, he soared over them and banked to his right to fly over the road just a few feet ahead of me. Like this he stayed for a short while, affording me a fantastic view of a majestic bird in flight. Then he veered further right and disappeared behind some more trees, but it was almost as if he had bade me farewell before doing so. Awesome. I finished my cycle home with a big grin across my face.

You don't get this when you drive, do you? I love cycling. Rubbish week at work? Pah, can't remember it.

It's things like this that I miss, being in London these days.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    To the site manager of Cannon Hygiene re one of your drivers last week. Thanks very much for the call. I hadn't expected a response so was pleasantly surprised. Cheers :)
  • Finlab6
    Finlab6 Posts: 127
    Left for work last wed in beautiful sunshine. 15mins in wind picked up and spent 5 mins in torrential rain and hailstones in my shorts and t shirt. Arrived at work drenched but smiling as the strong winds were behind me all the way and I smashed my best time.
    MTB GT Avalanche 1.0
    Road - Specialized Allez Sport

exercise.png
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Best commute in for a long time!

Sunshine, slight cool breeze, roads felt super fast.

There were a few more cyclists on my route today, but I did leave about 5 mins earlier! There was a nice little peloton for quite a good period, then the geared massive took off and left us singlespeeders in their wake :lol:
  • An anti-rant and a rant in equal measure:

Good: First outing using new SPD's and I didn't fall off hurrah!!

Bad: Mini DV cam flaked again after 15mins, It just doesn't seem to want to charge properly.
    Additional rant: forgot to take DD's bike out of the garage because it's a cycle to school day, I've got the only key and now she's very upset :(
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Off topic anti-rant.
    Poured a concrete fishpond in the garden of my new house a couple of weekends ago and skimmed it on Saturday. Had a tin of super-technical engineering sealant in my workshop, so Monday night (the render being nice and dry) I painted on this clear watery liquid to seal the pond against leaks.

It worked, I've filled the pond and it holds water, it's also dead leval (which is pretty hard to do with a big free form pond)

It's also, purple. Yup purple. Not a hint of purplishness, but full on purple.

Sealant reacted with the 'crete (it's designed for metal coatings) some how, but my six year old girl LOVES it. I guess I have a purple pond. 8)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Lost a nut and bolt on my front mudguard early in the ride this morning so, to reduce the rattling noise, I avoided the bumpiest country roads and took a different route on larger roads. Super fast, felt great and smashed my morning PB!
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Brought the bike to work to day to go for a lunchtime ride and went to Asda in Grangemouth .

As I'm getting ready to leave two women are walking past me, having a good look in my direction. I assume they are looking at me and my bright red face (the slightest exertion and I go red) until I hear "That's a nice bike".

A brief conversation followed in which I explained the kind of bike it was then I left with a big grin on my face. Which stayed there the entire road back to the office thanks to a slight tailwind helping push me along at 15-20mph :D
  • I got a puncture half way through the commute this morning [Stowmarket -> Ipswich]. Thanks to the guy on the tourer / old style roadie (?) who offered assistance. I was a bit flustered by the exertion required by my crap mini-pump to get the tyre to even 60psi.

The sentiment was much appreciated - ta!

J.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    despite being reduced to a 30 hour week I am going home with a smile as the sun is out and I can feel a nice bike ride coming on

oh! and the lawn has probably dried so I can get the mower out
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Parcel Force: thank you for the fact that you regularly deliver to my house before I leave in the morning, especially as you were carrying my new waterproof this morning!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    I unexpectedly managed a commute today when I was expecting to go the whole week without :lol:

Ok it was a bit damp on the way in but I had some SCR action and the sun is out now.

Oh yes and I managed a couple of Boris Bike trips yesterday whilst in London
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    Thanks to the BMW, yes BMW driver for letting me go at the roundabout despite you being to me right, you're a gent.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969
    Lovely fresh morning; traffic not too bad; just warm enough to get away with summer kit and mitts; coffee and cake on arrival at work :D

Just wish there was a bit more competition on the Embankment around 0900.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • big thanks to the lorry driver who understood my right arm sticking out didn't mean I was turning right at the mini-roundabout on Deptford Church St....I just didn't want to get squashed...and he slowed right down for me and flashed his lights to indicate he'd seen me :)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    As a confirmed petrol head, seeing a Bugatti Veyron cruise past REALLY made my morning this morning. :D

The only frustration was that I didn't have my helmet cam so I don't have a record of it. :roll:

What the hell was a Veyron doing on this quiet country lane in the first place????? :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    As a confirmed petrol head, seeing a Bugatti Veyron cruise past REALLY made my morning this morning. :D

The only frustration was that I didn't have my helmet cam so I don't have a record of it. :roll:

What the hell was a Veyron doing on this quiet country lane in the first place????? :shock:

Colour? Reg number?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What the hell was a Veyron doing oop North in the first place????? :shock:

FTFY :mrgreen:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Kieran_Burns
    W1 wrote:

Colour? Reg number?

Dark blue/black - little stunned at seeing it to get details :shock: It was going the other way on a NSL stretch of road (but only doing about 40) so not in sight for long...plus me almost crashing in shock kind of occupied my attention :lol:

It was right here that it went past
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    and to round off a perfect Friday commute... 8)

Cycling back in the dusk / dark with your Cateye single shot on bright and the Hope Vision 2 on High (not max) you don't half get LOTS of respect from other road users!

All cars went straight to dip and people even waited for me to clear parked cars before pulling out... it was like I was driving a car, the amount of room I got. That was just great :D

(had a Cateye LD610 on flash and the LD1100 on steady at the rear, with a hi-vis top I was lit up for ALL to see - all cars overtaking gave me loads of room)

When you have bright lights on the bike, cycling at night is much more relaxing.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Got another little bright moment...

VERY hard ride in today, the headwind was a nightmare but I couldn't help but grin at a roundabout when I waited for a car coming from the left...

Mother on the school run, two primary school sons in the back seat, and as the car went past me the little lad on the left side looked across at me (resplendent in the full kit: shorts, jacket, wrap glasses, helmet with Contour helmet cam) his jaw dropped and he clearly went "Wowwww!" :D He was frantically looking over his shoulder as I merged behind as well.... 8)

A little further down (past the school where they stopped) I went past a Mother and her two daughters all cycling to school and the two girls gaving me beaming smiles and the Mother a cheery "Good Morning!"

Very tiring in the wind today, but really....moments like that 8) :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    On my lunchtime ride in my cow-print jersey: the boy in the car ahead of me spotted me and waved. I waved back to his amusement and got smiles from the driver, too. I then kept pace with the car over the next 3 km with continuous cheers from the boy. We both waved again as they turned from my path.
    It was really nice to see that some people do not treat cars as complete insulation from the world and 3 minutes @ 380 W and 50 km/h nicely fit into the intervals I set out to do today :)
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969
    Went to a site meeting. Client said nice things about my bike, then supplied tea and an eccles cake. If only all my clients were like that.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    It rained when I went home today :D . So I got to test my new Vaude Bike Escape Jacket . And It worked. I didn't boil and it didn't leak. I actualy enjoyed the ride in the rain.

Libraio
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Black cab driver changed lanes without indicating on Upper Richmond Road this evening and I had to swerve to avoid him. He caught up with me later and apologised :)
  • guy on an orange motorbike pushed his way through allcomers into the ASL at Westminster Bridge this morning.

Hope you felt as big an elephant's c0ck as you looked when you then proceeded to stall it as the lights changed :)
    FCN 8/9 (I think)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Driving in this week :(

but....

Coming into the Business Park where I work I saw a car in front of me blatently left hook a cyclist. The poor guy on the bike was actually at the near side wing when the Civic turned left :?

The guy who did this works in the same building as me.

I waited for him to get out of his car and had a quiet word about how he almost took out a guy on a bike, and politely asked him to take more care in future.

I know the guy will think I'm and arsehole, I don't care - I know he'll think more about bikes when turning left because one incident has now intruded into his shell.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • My first ride for a week and what a great start :D

NO wind at all, cool but not cold. Quiet roads and considerate drivers. I went for the spin not power approach today and made it in under 40 mins - which is always the target.

Bike rack completely empty and the shower not used before me. It's like it's all laid on some mornings :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Today was my first ride in where I didn't think I might die at some point. am still a little shaky/wobbly setting off though :D

But at least I am getting the hang of the gears finally. looks like my treetrunk-like running legs aren't as pathetic for cycling as I thought I was just mashing way too hard from lights and wearing myself out. now I mostly remember to change down, and jump up through the gears as I set off. the bigger rings make my legs ache much less once I'm up to speed too.
    Hat + Beard