Paris - Nice Stage 2 **SPOILER**

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Good job on Boom for bridging. As someone said before, Millar looked like he was soft pedalling! Contador did the last 3km on someone else's bike...not sure why the Rabo car was going so slowly at first - Contador nearly went into the back of it. Good job to Rabo car...there were no other cars in sight, unless they were behind.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    FF, it wouldn't have made a difference, Contador crashed in the final 3km and he wouldn't have lost any time on GC to the bunch. The rules say any crash in the final 3km can't penalise a rider on GC.
  • frenchfighter
    I know.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    FF, doesn't it bother you that Valverde is clearly a drugs cheat who has been protected by the Spanish authorities and avoided doing his time while so many of his contemporaries have served suspensions? (allegedly) I like the way the guy rides, but I just don't see how you can celebrate the guy like that?

Genuine question, not looking to start a war here...
  • Kléber
    Here's Valv and Piti
    chien_de_valverde.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    MH, short answer and only answer on this subject as it has been covered before and I don't want to go over it again.

I'll wait until he is proven guilty first and second he is an amazing bike rider, successful (see his 2009 palmares and place in the rankings, where the majority of naysayers can even agree that he was riding clean), and has many qualities that I like in a rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    FF earlier.

035ostrich_468x538.jpg
  • Kléber
    edited March 2010
    his 2009 palmares and place in the rankings, where the majority of naysayers can even agree that he was riding clean
    How can anyone know this? He seems to be as good at lying and denial as he is at sprinting and climbing. Yes he's an exciting rider but I wouldn't buy a used car from him. His case still rumbles on with the CAS.
  • MH, short answer and only answer on this subject as it has been covered before and I don't want to go over it again.

I'll wait until he is proven guilty first and second he is an amazing bike rider, successful (see his 2009 palmares and place in the rankings, where the majority of naysayers can even agree that he was riding clean), and has many qualities that I like in a rider.

As another genuine question, b what measure would you need to see him proved guilty? Because matching the DNA in a sample given at the Tour to that of a bag of blood found in Fuentes fridge, as well as the circumstantial evidence of his name being all over the correspondance and evidence taken from the good doctor was good enough for CONI. You can't lambast the UCI for not going after certain riders but not be fussed when they sit back on one of your favourites.

As for him now being clean, how would "most observers" know? Why is Valverde clean, in your eyes, which riders are you applying the same standards to and coming to a different conclusion?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Like I said, I will not discuss it again. You can do that amongst yourselfs if it interests you.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bigmat
    FWIW, I thought he was riding "clean" for a couple of years post Puerto, but the way he has upped his game over the last 18 months I'm now not so sure. Deeply cynical I know, but if I had managed to dodge a bullet the way he has then maybe I'd be less worried about the implications of giving myself a little "help".
  • Like I said, I will not discuss it again. You can do that amongst yourselfs if it interests you.

That's quite convinient. You'll say that he's not guilty in the face of overwhelming, proven evidence, you'll assert that nearly everybody agrees he's clean now but you don't need to bother supporting these claims, the little people can chew over it as they wish though, very gracious of you.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Contador saying that he hopes he doesn't have to leave the race due to his leg which he injured yesterday (another rider hooked him). I really hope not. I think he doesn't ride enough at the front.

From Valverde:
    “The stage was a very fast and very nervous one with many crashes. We were very careful and stayed at the front of the race the whole time. Our team manager Yvon Ledanois knew the finale of the stage perfectly because he came here a few weeks ago to study the route," Valverde explained. "He told us that at 23 kilometers from the finish, just after the right turn, the wind could play a very important role, so we had to be at the front of the bunch right there.”

Ledanois' prediction proved vital to the team: “Things went exactly the way he said they would, so we gave everything [after the right turn] to cause a split in the peloton. The gap on the line was 17 seconds. The most important part is that many of our rivals [for the overall] finished with the second group [and lost time]. Today we showed everyone that the Caisse d’Epargne team is one of the best, and that we will try to be at the front every day,” concluded a very happy Valverde
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3376/ ... -Nice.aspx
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    FF your rider list is interesting, it includes a big list of Puertistas as well as a few choice picks coached by Conconi, Cecchini and Casoni. It's easy to be exciting in a race when you're supercharged :twisted:

Alongside this we find the openly clean riders like Chavanel and Gilbert. These are certainly the sort of riders to cheer on.
  • bigmat
    Kléber wrote:

Alongside this we find the openly clean riders like Chavanel and Gilbert. These are certainly the sort of riders to cheer on.

Are any riders "clean" on the sly?! ;)

100% agree though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Like I said, I will not discuss it again. You can do that amongst yourselfs if it interests you.

That's fine, but stop glorifying riders with some serious questions to answer by saying they have 'class' and are 'true champions' etc, while denigrating riders with spotless reputations - 'no panache', 'lightweight', 'wheelsucker' etc.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks for all your opinions. You could have saved them though as I can like whoever I like for whatever reason I like regardless of what any of you think.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Thanks for all your opinions. You could have saved them though as I can like whoever I like for whatever reason I like regardless of what any of you think.

Why isn't Ricco in your list?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Thanks for all your opinions. You could have saved them though as I can like whoever I like for whatever reason I like regardless of what any of you think.

Excellent, agree completely, but apllying the same logic you wont be commenting on anyones love for Armstrong or Wiggins from now on, I take it?

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    I think you will find DG that I allow people to have whatever opinions they want even if they aren't in line with mine, and I certainly don't abuse them for having them like so many people on this forum choose to do for mine.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I think you will find DG that I allow people to have whatever opinions they want even if they aren't in line with mine, and I certainly don't abuse them for having them like so many people on this forum choose to do for mine.

So you didn't call Bruyneel a "bare faced liar" over his opinion of what happened on the the Grand Bornard stage of last years Tour

Or say people who preferred black shoes had no style on the same thread?

@gietvangent
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    FF to become FFF. No prizes for guessing what the third F stands for. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Is Bruyneel a forum member?

As for your second point I had Contador had style and Lance didn't. Has that got anything to do with forum member's?

You are picking at straws and rotton ones at that.

No more comments from me here to you as you seem to enjoy picking at me at any point. It is really annoying as I am here because I love the sport not because I want to argue with people who like to pass their time going at me.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If Contador really had style he would have won the Spanish Nat RR as well as the TT so he wouldn't have to wear the dodgy Astana colours.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • frenchfighter

Again, another forum member who has nothing better to do with their time but to abuse me or talk about me.

I think I am going to stop replying to all these people for a while. Very tiresome.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Is Bruyneel a forum member?

As for your second point I had Contador had style and Lance didn't. Has that got anything to do with forum member's?

You are picking at straws and rotton ones at that.

No more comments from me here to you as you seem to enjoy picking at me at any point. It is really annoying as I am here because I love the sport not because I want to argue with people who like to pass their time going at me.

1) Yousaid "people" in your above quote about allowing people to have their opinions. As far as I'm aware, Bruyneel is a person.

2) You said black shoes were acceptable to "people with no style"

3) When you stop presenting opinions as fact and then taking your ball home when asked to support them with evidence, I'll stop picking you up on it.

@gietvangent
  • yeah and you can not respond to me as well please.

Word
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Again, another forum member who has nothing better to do with their time but to abuse me or talk about me.
    I think I am going to stop replying to all these people for a while. Very tiresome.

One man's abuse is another's mild ribbing.
    Just gently shaking that pedestal you are so fond of placing yourself and opinions on.
    You are right about one thing though. A pointless waste of my time.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

Translation : "I have made a c*nt of myself and i need to get out of Dodge."
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Translation : "I have made a c*nt of myself and i need to get out of Dodge."
    :shock: I agree with MG. I'm off to pour myself a stiff drink and lie down. Goodnight (and bonne nuit)!