Paris - Nice Stage 2 **SPOILER**

Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    don't get me wrong i am a huge team sky fan.......it just gets on my tits when people start claiming they are the greatest team of all time.

I am no Sky fan but come on does anybody really claim they are the greatest team of all time ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    good to have harmon back and all

+1

when i hear Harmon and Kelly i know my afternoons lounging about watching Eurosport HD have begun for the season :)
  • people just carry on defending them like it is life or death. and claiming they will win everything and that they are at the fore of all technological progress in the sport.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Calv no need to be harsh however just to note Henderson was the only teamsky rider in the lead group so you cannot really say the team sky was riding as a "team" to win today....I put it down to henderson being lucky to make the break and the fact he was the only real sprinter in the group.

Possibly. Only popping along to crow about a Sky victory to a load of notional 'haters' is a bit annoying tho. yes?

Anyhow, retracted.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Bhima wrote:
    Millar seemed to keep incredible composure when on the front and people behind were gritting their teeth suffering hard. Jens was in the red and DM was sat up on the front, looking like he was on a nice ride to the shops or something. :lol:

Is Jens ever in the red?!? DM seemed to be the only one who was consitently coming through though, I think a lot of riders took a breather after getting across the gap.

Boom impressed with his bridge and he seemed to keep rotating at the front, after getting the go ahead from the bosses. Conti's power when he fell off was pretty "sick", but the Rabo's gave him a big han dfor reasons unknown.
  • moray_gub
    people just carry on defending them like it is life or death. and claiming they will win everything and that they are at the fore of all technological progress in the sport.

Aye very good but anyway going back does anybody actually claim they are the greatest team of all time ?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    This was a fantastic stage, it would be annoying if further discussion of the drama today concentrated on Sky, its media perception and fanbase.

- Caisse blew Rabobank off their wheels
    - Boom was left to fend for himself
    - skinny Dan Martin made the split
    - Millar's third on GC

etc etc
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Back to the race for a moment.

Pereiro, Cunego, Vande Velde, Horner, Fuglsang, Valjavec, Cazati and Dumoulin all in the back group and out of any GC contention....
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • sorry if i am speaking out of turn, as a new commer to the forum, but team sky: good but team sky fans:knobs!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Moray Gub wrote:
    good to have harmon back and all

+1

when i hear Harmon and Kelly i know my afternoons lounging about watching Eurosport HD have begun for the season :)

Yes, it's brilliant - best pair of commentators in cycling by a mile.

I switched on the coverage and within two seconds Sean had said "We can see" and "major". Loving it!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    people just carry on defending them like it is life or death. and claiming they will win everything and that they are at the fore of all technological progress in the sport.

PauloBets is clearly trolling. A smash and grab post hoping to generate a couple of pages of reaction. Probably a huge Garmin fan but just likes the stir the pot on here.
  • people just carry on defending them like it is life or death. and claiming they will win everything and that they are at the fore of all technological progress in the sport.

PauloBets is clearly trolling. A smash and grab post hoping to generate a couple of pages of reaction. Probably a huge Garmin fan but just likes the stir the pot on here.

Guess he won then. :oops:
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    afx237vi wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:
    Didn't he (DM) finish pretty highly in P-N a few years ago?

He won the prologue in 2007 when riding for SD, and was in contention on the last day and Bertie headed off up the road.

Very similar route that year, too, with the only uphill finish being in Mende.

IIRC Discovery had 3, maybe 4 guys in the front group and they gave Tin Tin, Millar et al a right good shoeing, then Bertie kicked going up Col d'Ese and managed to hang on.
  • DaveyL
    sorry if i am speaking out of turn, as a new commer to the forum, but team sky: good but team sky fans:knobs!

Depends on how much of a newcomer you are. You may have missed all the Sky-bashing when the team was announced, the "oh, you can't road race by numbers" / "Brailsford is going to find out it's not like the track" / "You need friends in the peloton" etc. You reap what you sow and the gloating now is just a gentle reminder of those days before Sky started racing.... :D

Of course, there are certain people on the forum who don't want to be reminded of the sloppy, me-too "logic" that was deployed in their headlong rush to put the boot in...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    For what looked on paper like a sure fire bunch sprint, not ever so interesting profile that was a cracking stage. Caisse looked superb and I'm more and more impressed by Boom (as well as loving that name). Good opportunistic win by Henderson, too.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Conti's power when he fell off was pretty "sick", but the Rabo's gave him a big han dfor reasons unknown.

It's an unwritten rule of cycling that team cars help riders trying to get back on, regardless of what team they ride for, a case of what goes around comes around, i.e. next time it could be your rider.
  • moray_gub
    greeny12 wrote:

Pereiro, Cunego, Vande Velde, Horner, Fuglsang, Valjavec, Cazati and Dumoulin all in the back group and out of any GC contention....

Dunno if its the case this time but i have seen Damiano losing time deliberately before to allow him to go on the attack later in the race. Dont be surprised if he is in a break on stage 5 or 6.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    micron wrote:
    For what looked on paper like a sure fire bunch sprint, not ever so interesting profile that was a cracking stage. Caisse looked superb and I'm more and more impressed by Boom (as well as loving that name). Good opportunistic win by Henderson, too.

+1. A sprinters stage went "Boom", as someone already said. Was that a Harmonism ??
  • DaveyL
    Danielson came in with the group 5 min down, Christian VDV in the group 7 min down :roll:
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    AGREE WITH DAVEYL ON THIS.
    PTP winner 2015.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moray Gub wrote:
    greeny12 wrote:

Dunno if its the case this time but i have seen Damiano losing time deliberately before to allow him to go on the attack later in the race. Dont be surprised if he is in a break on stage 5 or 6.

Same for Vandevelde. It worked for him last year.
  • greeny12
    pat1cp wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:
    Didn't he (DM) finish pretty highly in P-N a few years ago?

He won the prologue in 2007 when riding for SD, and was in contention on the last day and Bertie headed off up the road.

Very similar route that year, too, with the only uphill finish being in Mende.

IIRC Discovery had 3, maybe 4 guys in the front group and they gave Tin Tin, Millar et al a right good shoeing, then Bertie kicked going up Col d'Ese and managed to hang on.

Who would Disco have been riding for then? Not Leipie surely?

As for this year, it's not *that* hilly a course, but then Millar is not that good a climber, especially once Bertie starts giving it the big 'un. Still, if Wiggins can do it...!!

• DaveyL
    Bertie was on Discovery Channel in 2007.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • moray_gub
    Kléber wrote:
    This was a fantastic stage, it would be annoying if further discussion of the drama today concentrated on Sky, its media perception and fanbase.

- Caisse blew Rabobank off their wheels
    - Boom was left to fend for himself
    - skinny Dan Martin made the split
    - Millar's third on GC

etc etc

- Astana looked weak today as well Bertie could have problems this week.
  • greeny12
    DaveyL wrote:
    Bertie was on Discovery Channel in 2007.

D'oh! Forgot that :oops:

Agree about Astana and the lack of power and co-ordination today. With the early running of this year's Tour in the badlands of Rabo/Quick Step country could we see something similar in July???

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    greeny12 wrote:

As for this year, it's not *that* hilly a course, but then Millar is not that good a climber, especially once Bertie starts giving it the big 'un. Still, if Wiggins can do it...!!

The Col de Vence is 10 km at 6.6%, if Bertie and/or the other climbers gives it full gas there then Millar could lose minutes that he won't get back on the descent to the finish.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Moray Gub wrote:
    - Astana looked weak today as well Bertie could have problems this week.

They were well to the front before it all exploded and he had several guys with him when he crashed.
    Who, apart from Caisse, looked strong?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • greeny12
    andyp wrote:
    greeny12 wrote:

The Col de Vence is 10 km at 6.6%, if Bertie and/or the other climbers gives it full gas there then Millar could lose minutes that he won't get back on the descent to the finish.

It'll help that there are no Schlecks there to join the fun though. Could be argued that Bertie is the only real world class explosive climber in the field. Millar at his best is not that far behind the likes of Sammy or LL Sanchez, I'd have thought???

• PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    calvjones wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:
    A great ride by Sky again, yet more evidence this team will be in your faces all season with big wins...get used to it. Mr Brailsford's recruitment strategy has paid off so far in 2010, getting all the best riders and management. There should be no more rubbish about sky being hated. They are winning respect now.

I don't mind SKY being 'in our faces'.

You, however, I could live without.

just cause I support the closest thing the country has to a home team? I think you were one of the complainers or maybe others.Mr Brailsford was right to go after Wiggins as Garmin had shown no faith in Wiggins by trying to get Alberto Contador and they will support their American rider over Bradley, also Sky has a great management system. Just read up on their training and management of their riders. It is hard not to respect them. And unlike you, I am a fan of sky as it supports many good riders from Britain, has a British entourage who are going to teach the continentals a few lessons and it will be there for future British stars.
  • greeny12
    On a separate note, check this headline:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 556237.stm

Erm, what about Het Volk????