Paris - Nice Stage 2 **SPOILER**

Comments

• pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    greeny12 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    greeny12 wrote:

As for this year, it's not *that* hilly a course, but then Millar is not that good a climber, especially once Bertie starts giving it the big 'un. Still, if Wiggins can do it...!!

The Col de Vence is 10 km at 6.6%, if Bertie and/or the other climbers gives it full gas there then Millar could lose minutes that he won't get back on the descent to the finish.

It'll help that there are no Schlecks there to join the fun though. Could be argued that Bertie is the only real world class explosive climber in the field. Millar at his best is not that far behind the likes of Sammy or LL Sanchez, I'd have thought???

Has Frank chucked it ??
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Good point - Frank is still there, albeit a minute down now.
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ...and Valverde.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    afx237vi wrote:
    ...and Valverde.

I try to pretend he's not in races I follow....makes me feel happier...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • afx237vi
    greeny12 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    ...and Valverde.

:lol:

Nice. I do the same with some other members of the forum :wink:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Moray Gub wrote:
    - Astana looked weak today as well Bertie could have problems this week.

They were well to the front before it all exploded and he had several guys with him when he crashed.
    Who, apart from Caisse, looked strong?

When Boom bridged across Astana didnt seem to be able to regroup and chase to any great effect really they should have been all over the front of the chase group like a rash.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

They were well to the front before it all exploded and he had several guys with him when he crashed.

When Boom bridged across Astana didnt seem to be able to regroup and chase to any great effect really they should have been all over the front of the chase group like a rash.

As should Rabo, since their race leader had to do it alone, or the Shack.
    If you want weak, Levi's lot fitted the bill, today.
    Caisse just looked fit and Flandrian.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I guess Bertie can't blame Armstrong for missing the split in the wind this time!

Early days but a great stage. Hopefully more like this to come.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    DaveyL wrote:
    Danielson came in with the group 5 min down, Christian VDV in the group 7 min down :roll:

That is pretty lightweight. That guy Tommy is so overated. There comes a point when I don't care what your potential is, if you can't deliver then that is what counts.

Deignan has a VO2 max of 87...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

As should Rabo, since their race leader had to do it alone, or the Shack.
    If you want weak, Levi's lot fitted the bill, today.
    Caisse just looked fit and Flandrian.

Yep agree with Rabo doesnt augur well for Boom later in the week was Levi inovlved in crash or mechanical earlier ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    PauloBets wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:
    A great ride by Sky again, yet more evidence this team will be in your faces all season with big wins...get used to it. Mr Brailsford's recruitment strategy has paid off so far in 2010, getting all the best riders and management. There should be no more rubbish about sky being hated. They are winning respect now.

I don't mind SKY being 'in our faces'.

You, however, I could live without.

just cause I support the closest thing the country has to a home team? I think you were one of the complainers or maybe others.Mr Brailsford was right to go after Wiggins as Garmin had shown no faith in Wiggins by trying to get Alberto Contador and they will support their American rider over Bradley, also Sky has a great management system. Just read up on their training and management of their riders. It is hard not to respect them. And unlike you, I am a fan of sky as it supports many good riders from Britain, has a British entourage who are going to teach the continentals a few lessons and it will be there for future British stars.

Ah, I see where the misunderstanding has arisen. I'm Welsh, not British you see :wink:

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    greeny12 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    greeny12 wrote:

As for this year, it's not *that* hilly a course, but then Millar is not that good a climber, especially once Bertie starts giving it the big 'un. Still, if Wiggins can do it...!!

The Col de Vence is 10 km at 6.6%, if Bertie and/or the other climbers gives it full gas there then Millar could lose minutes that he won't get back on the descent to the finish.

It'll help that there are no Schlecks there to join the fun though. Could be argued that Bertie is the only real world class explosive climber in the field. Millar at his best is not that far behind the likes of Sammy or LL Sanchez, I'd have thought???

Valverde and LLS can both climb well. Dan Martin is a top climber. Frank Schleck is riding. S Sanchez can climb and descend better than anyone. Kreuziger and Van Den Broeck can climb. Le Mevel can climb. CVV, Leipheimer and Feillu can too. None of them are in the same league as Contador but they can all climb very well.

This is a superb field.

Who cares about Sky...they shouldn't even come into the discussion really...they haven't even sent a GC rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    edited March 2010
    greeny12 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    greeny12 wrote:

Valverde and LLS can both climb well. Dan Martin is a top climber. Frank Schleck is riding. S Sanchez can climb and descend better than anyone. Kreuziger and Van Den Broeck can climb. Le Mevel can climb. CVV, Leipheimer and Feillu can too. None of them are in the same league as Contador but they can all climb very well.

This is a superb field.

Who cares about Sky...they shouldn't even come into the discussion really...they haven't even sent a GC rider.

But they won the stage, can we talk about them now ??? :wink: (read topic title)!!!!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I think Kennaugh may have started had he not fractured his collarbone at l'Eroica.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • blazing_saddles
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Yep agree with Rabo doesnt augur well for Boom later in the week was Levi inovlved in crash or mechanical earlier ?

Yes. He and, as usual, Horner, on the deck. :oops:
  • BdeB
    BdeB Posts: 110

You got to love the way Sky polarise opinion. Apparently winning races has nothing to do with Bike racing.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I like Team Sky, but I am SO bored of the playground blah blah blah on here - also of the FF said this, so and so said that crap as well.

But - really enjoying the race analysis and rider discussion, why don't we keep to that eh?

Henderson will be chuffed - interesting to see if Bertie has any adverse reaction to his fall...
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    I put it down to henderson being lucky to make the break and the fact he was the only real sprinter in the group.
    Henderson was one of a handful of riders not in the initial break who managed to bridge the gap from the main bunch, and unlike the man he beat on the line he also put in a fair amount of effort on the front of the break.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    greeny12 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    ...and Valverde.

:lol:

Nice. I do the same with some other members of the forum :wink:

Sometimes it's so hard not to bite though, especially when opinion is written as fact
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Putting aside the Sky thing, great win for Henderson. He's finally getting some reward for putting in the graft over the past number of years.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    mroli wrote:
    I like Team Sky, but I am SO bored of the playground blah blah blah on here - also of the FF said this, so and so said that crap as well.

But - really enjoying the race analysis and rider discussion, why don't we keep to that eh?

Henderson will be chuffed - interesting to see if Bertie has any adverse reaction to his fall...
    +1
    I had to read 8 pages of a post which is supposed to be stage 2 spoiler and most of the posts are just trollers slating each other , start another thread for that and leave this to the race.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    As the comic book-loving fat guy in the Simpson's would say:

WORST

HELMET

EVER

The TT ones are worse, poor Simon Garrans had to wear a women's salon-type hair dryer for the TT: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/68th-p ... tos/109611
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    And another thing - to all the newbie cycling fans - this was in fact stage 1. Yesterday's stage was a prologue. In French stage race custom (well certainly the ASO's) a prologue is NOT a stage and the race continues with stage 1 after a prologue.

Important when picking your winners if there's a sprint stage before or after a high mountain stage.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • afx237vi
    And another thing - to all the newbie cycling fans - this was in fact stage 1. Yesterday's stage was a prologue. In French stage race custom (well certainly the ASO's) a prologue is NOT a stage and the race continues with stage 1 after a prologue.

Important when picking your winners if there's a sprint stage before or after a high mountain stage.

Don't go there!

*bangs head against brick wall*
  • blazing_saddles
    I'm sure Kleber won't mind being called a novice. :P
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167

WORST

HELMET

EVER

The TT ones are worse, poor Simon Garrans had to wear a women's salon-type hair dryer for the TT: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/68th-p ... tos/109611

You didn't see the speed skating at the Olympics then?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    DaveyL wrote:

WORST

HELMET

EVER

You didn't see the speed skating at the Olympics then?
    Speed skaters don't wear helmets

(you must mean short-track - BMX on ice...)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Bertie is saying his took a pretty hard knock today in the fall and his leg hurts.

Will decide in the morning if he'll continue with the race.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    iainf72 wrote:
    Bertie is saying his took a pretty hard knock today in the fall and his leg hurts.

Will decide in the morning if he'll continue with the race.

PTP meltdown again...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    [
    +1
    I had to read 8 pages of a post which is supposed to be stage 2 spoiler and most of the posts are just trollers slating each other , start another thread for that and leave this to the race.

Did you actually read any of those 8 pages? The majority of the comments are about the race.

Thanks for your contribution though.