Can I make one forum change suggestion.

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
A Commuting Campaigns section.

A section where we annouce accidents, casualties. and discuss press reports both positive and negative and any other campaigns (ones we endorse or don't) related specifically to commuting.

If such a section was created even I would treat it with all seriousness and respect.

Personally I do think as commuters we have a duty to support each other and be heard to better the commuting experience for all cyclists. When I saw those negative cyclists groups on facebook and Bikeradar's attempts to rally this section into posting positive responses (probably to coincide with the publication of that article in Cycling Plus) I felt dissapointed that the creator of the thread, M.Cole, was flamed. I felt we should have shown more solidarity and while this section is much loved fun by myself we could use our incredible size to attempt to make a difference. We could be a powerful resource.

And no the bikeradar admin haven't promised me a Moderators role (they should for the new section), new bike (why not?) or are holding a gun to my head for writing this. My writing this is mostly inspired by OldSchoolKona's continued effort to raise awareness to the plight that we all face daily.

I don't think this section should be reduced to a Cake stop though. I just think a profile promotion for the more serious socio-political cycle commuting issues.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    No one, no?

OK.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Can we amalgamate it with the rainbow sweater and sandals section?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    We already have a campaign sectio
    Why create another one

Or how about a campaign for red bikes section, a different one for blue bikes etc and then for red road bikes, red racing bikes, red mountain bikes etc
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • DonDaddyD
    Can we amalgamate it with the rainbow sweater and sandals section?

Oh come on lets be serious about this.

I recently witnessed what would become a fatality. Because of post in this section, the police were able to track me down and take a further statement (yes I left a witness statement).

As commuters we would do ourselves a dis-serivce by not having a awareness raising section.

I was oppose to having a forum spilt between commuting and cake because it would split the community but this kind of spilt would raise the profile of more serious issues.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Patience Mr D. I've only just spotted the thread. Good idea I think, if only to organise Commuting General a bit into serious and not so serious stuff, and try to avoid the "I'm right!" "No, I'm right!" slanging matches that some of the serious topics degenerate into.

A recent example being Downfader's attempt to point out the risk of motorists driving badly regardless of the quality of your riding, i.e. debunking the 'contributory negligence' myth, which ended up in a pointless tit-for-tat about whether the guy did or did not look left at however many seconds into the video and whether this could be determined from the angle of the camera - as if a shaky video were some kind of complete and and detailed record of an incident in all its aspects.

Sorry, bit of a rant there, but in short: yes, a good idea.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • In theory there is a Campaigns section in the Road section already, but I don't tend to go into the Road section too often incase I betray my MTB breatheren.

Seriously though, I tend to post campaigny type stuff here in an underhand attempt to mobilise the energy that is in this forum towards changing our lot. "Decisions are made by those who show up". I do prefer to keep it away from negative stuff about how dangerous cycling alledgely is as that just adds to a false perception.

Feeling a little sensitve about it at the mo as Mrs OSK has taken to the streets of Lonodn for the first time. Silly I know..
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    Patience Mr D. I've only just spotted the thread. Good idea I think, if only to organise Commuting General a bit into serious and not so serious stuff, and try to avoid the "I'm right!" "No, I'm right!" slanging matches that some of the serious topics degenerate into.

It would need a strong moderator and I don't think you would ever eliminate the whose more right argument.

But threads like these: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12684612

should be made important in their own section.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I am with DDD on this one (yeah you heard right :shock: )

:wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    In theory there is a Campaigns section in the Road section already, but I don't tend to go into the Road section too often incase I betray my MTB breatheren.

But its too all inclusive.

This would be about Commuting. The death-sectence cycle lane on Blackfriars road is in my mind a commuting issue. Campaigning for and against allowing commuters to go up one way roads. That sort of thing.

Commuting is the single fastest growing area of cycling, it deserves to have specific areas focused upon it and its not enough to merely say we have a campain section in road at the bottom of 10 other forums...
    Food Chain number = 4

• spen666
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    In theory there is a Campaigns section in the Road section already, but I don't tend to go into the Road section too often incase I betray my MTB breatheren.

But its too all inclusive.

This would be about Commuting. The death-sectence cycle lane on Blackfriars road is in my mind a commuting issue. Campaigning for and against allowing commuters to go up one way roads. That sort of thing.

Commuting is the single fastest growing area of cycling, it deserves to have specific areas focused upon it and its not enough to merely say we have a campain section in road at the bottom of 10 other forums...

how do you know if person was commuting or out for a leisure ride in London

Divide people up and you weaken things.

We had a perfectly good layout before with:

Cake stop - for light hearted stuff
    soapbox for rants
    Campaign for campaigns and
    commuting for commuting issues

Sadly DDD you and others chose to stop commuting being about commuting by posting cakestop and soapbox issues in commuting, now you want a commuting section for commuting issues- ie what we had before you destroyed the purpose of the commuting section

:lol:

Twittering @spen_666
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    the blackfriars cycle lane in on a road you don't have to commute to be on it

It's hard to draw a line, I feel the road campagain is enough.

I do see where you're coming from maybe just treat each rider down thread with the dignity it deserves?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Kiblams
    As a MTBer I have not spent any time on the road forum, and thus was not until this moment aware of a campaign section of Bikeradar, please pull your heads out of your asses roadies :roll:
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Clever Pun wrote:
    It's hard to draw a line, I feel the road campagain is enough.

yeah, me too.
  • Clever Pun
    Kiblams wrote:
    As a MTBer I have not spent any time on the road forum, and thus was not until this moment aware of a campaign section of Bikeradar, please pull your heads out of your asses roadies :roll:

ah so that's why you're causing trouble

why don't you pull your head out of yours... you cycle on a road right? not exclusively offroad
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Porgy
    Kiblams wrote:

it was your head up your ass - by your own admission
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I do see where you're coming from maybe just treat each rider down thread with the dignity it deserves?

Or this.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Porgy wrote:
    Kiblams wrote:

beat you to it...double pwn or something
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Kiblams
    Clever Pun wrote:
    why don't you pull your head out of yours... you cycle on a road right? not exclusively offroad

I cycle commute on a road yes, but you shouldn't assume that everyone is aware of these things...
  • Kiblams
    Granted my terminology could have been more eloquent :oops: for this I apologise.
  • DonDaddyD
    spen666 wrote:
    Sadly DDD you and others chose to stop commuting being about commuting by posting cakestop and soapbox issues in commuting, now you want a commuting section for commuting issues- ie what we had before you destroyed the purpose of the commuting section

So that's what bitter looks like.

Spen, get back in your cave the World has passed you by. Commuting can be both fun and serious. Not everything has to be about the Daily Mail or a broadsheet and argued as though you're standing before a judge.

I single handedly destroyed the commuting section? Ha!
    Food Chain number = 4

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Maybe just drag the campaign section out of Road and into the Forum front page? Then, everyone can see it (except the closed minded people who only frequent a single forum and hotlink straight into it :lol: )

That way, everyone can see it and everyone can see what everyone else is concerned with which might be no bad thing. A divided campaign is a weak one - just ask David Cameron........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Kiblams wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I cycle commute on a road yes, but you shouldn't assume that everyone is aware of these things...

I didn't really know about it either, but if I had a soap box to climb on I'd have found it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Porgy
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    Kiblams wrote:

beat you to it...double pwn or something

Great minds 8)
  • spen666
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Spen, get back in your cave the World has passed you by. Commuting can be both fun and serious. Not everything has to be about the Daily Mail or a broadsheet and argued as though you're standing before a judge.

Can you read?
    I have not accused you of single handedly destroying the commuting section

You and others however did change it from a commuting section to a cake stop mark 2 and now you are asking for a commuting section for commuting issues

Twittering @spen_666
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I have one, can't remember who suggested this but it's a cracker!

Each Friday we have a vote to kick someone out :lol: big brother style! not that I watch that utter tosh mind you.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spen666
    Rolf F wrote:
    Maybe just drag the campaign section out of Road and into the Forum front page? Then, everyone can see it (except the closed minded people who only frequent a single forum and hotlink straight into it :lol: )

That way, everyone can see it and everyone can see what everyone else is concerned with which might be no bad thing. A divided campaign is a weak one - just ask David Cameron........

Why not leave campaign where it is and let MTB lot have a campaign section of their own if they want to campaign for issues, which will no doubt be different to the issues for road cyclists

Twittering @spen_666
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

So that's what bitter looks like.!
    Actually, bitter should look something like this... :D
    PintOfBitter.jpg
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • DonDaddyD
    spen666 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Can you read?

I have not accused you of single handedly destroying the commuting section
    Can you?
    Spen wrote:
    ie what we had before you destroyed the purpose of the commuting section

Or are you going to hide behind the semantics by claiming that I only destroyed the purpose of the section?
    You and others however did change it from a commuting section to a cake stop mark 2 and now you are asking for a commuting section for commuting issues

This is your opinion and considering how obstinate you can be in other threads I'm not going to discuss this with you any further, beyond stating that no I don't agree that I and others changed it purely into a cake stop. Perhaps the cake stop threads were needed because all you and others do is argue whose more right in the serious discussions, which serves to benefit no one.

I would like to see the more serious threads benefit from having more awareness raised to them. Bt the threads themselves would benefit more by not having them degenerate into a I'm more right' slanging match.
    Food Chain number = 4

• spen666
    Now DDD if you read what I posted carefully, or get someone to help-

Firstly You can be singular or plural and When I put it in context talking about you and others, it is clear I am not on about you alone

Again, I have not stated you changed it into a purely cake stop section.

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    We have campaign for serious threads? Why reinvent the wheel

Twittering @spen_666