O, Danny Boy

Comments

• What O'Raw did yesterday was a highly misplaced and unsavoury 'I know something you all dont'

Out of order
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dish_dash wrote:
    Battle of the podcasts...
    It's not much of a battle. Birnie's is considerably better.

I think he was just frustrated, like many proper journalists, that social media commentators aren't held to the same standards they are.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    harry-hill-tv-burp-fight-o.gif
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    It also seemed pointless (the original tweet from SO'R) - it was so broad / vague it didn't help anyone. I think Birnie's point was that journos 'know' lots of stories but without them being defendable i.e. with several credible sources of evidence they can't print / publicise them.

It's the same with doping accusations - which Velocast have got annoyed about themselves re Froome etc.

EDIT - I am no relation BTW.
  • It also seemed pointless (the original tweet from SO'R) - it was so broad / vague it didn't help anyone. I think Birnie's point was that journos 'know' lots of stories but without them being defendable i.e. with several credible sources of evidence they can't print / publicise them.

It's the same with doping accusations - which Velocast have got annoyed about themselves re Froome etc.

EDIT - I am no relation BTW.

Yorkie O'Raw

ARE YOU SHURE?

:wink:
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    ddraver wrote:
    So, do I gather that he revealed chuff all then?

Only thing that I can see is the velocast pair getting themselves into trouble with a Wiggo/Charity Benefit type remark...

Unimpressive stuff from them

Birnie was a bit pompous in his response but @velocast's initial tweets are just staggeringly ill-judged.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Can i assume from this then that DiLuca said nothing at all...?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:
    Can i assume from this then that DiLuca said nothing at all...?
    He basically said "Everyone's doing it, so I'm still a great champion. At least I wasn't using an electric bike'
  • yorkshireraw
    It would be better if he literally had said nothing.

Wegelius clearly liked working with him, and knows him well you'd guess - he stated last year that DDLs problem is he can't envisage a situation where he isn't playing the aggressor in races - that is his whole mental view of himself. In order to maintain that he has to a) get geared up and then b) justify that to himself by asserting that it isn't anything that no-one else is doing.
  • ddraver
    Hmm, he needs to learn some doping PR from Rasmussen - poor effort Daniel, got The Clinic all tumescent over nothing...
    - @ddraver
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    It would be better if he literally had said nothing.

Wegelius clearly liked working with him, and knows him well you'd guess - he stated last year that DDLs problem is he can't envisage a situation where he isn't playing the aggressor in races - that is his whole mental view of himself. In order to maintain that he has to a) get geared up and then b) justify that to himself by asserting that it isn't anything that no-one else is doing.

Wegelius is incredibly positive about Di Luca in his book, emphasising what a great team leader he was and how happy he was to work for him.
  • yorkshireraw
    Paulie W wrote:

Wegelius is incredibly positive about Di Luca in his book, emphasising what a great team leader he was and how happy he was to work for him.

Indeed - and contrasts him with the less than charming (in his experience) Cadel Evans.

This I think highlights why riders, especially of that generation, and even if clean (like CW asserts he was and no reason to suggest otherwise) see things in shades of grey rather than black and white, and aren't willing to chuck everyone who doped under the bus. The narrative some fans have of "Doper = Evil" and "Clean = Nice guy" isn't true and is far too simplistic, as in all walks of life.
    This is not to excuse doping in any way in the current climate especially.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810

O RLY?
    So is this the first interview of his 'book tour' and he'll tell us nothing we don't already know but promise us more if we part with a little bit of cash?
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    There must be quite a few riders who are sweating right now.

• O RLY?
    So is this the first interview of his 'book tour' and he'll tell us nothing we don't already know but promise us more if we part with a little bit of cash?

BAZINGA
  • ddraver
    Di Luca offered to reveal what he knows about his own and other cases of doping to the Italian Olympic Committee's investigators. However, he then back-tracked on the idea and gave his interview on Italian television.

wah wah wah waaah.....f**k off d1ckhead
    - @ddraver
  • rayjay
    He won't be the first doped to do that. Millar, Hamilton , Landis
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

"I'M NOT a DRAMA QUEEN" whispered Danilo
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • If they make a film a la Armstrong Lie, there's enough doping material with DiLuca alone for a 5 DVD box-set
  • Macaloon wrote:

"I'M NOT a DRAMA QUEEN" whispered Danilo

:lol:
  • RichN95.
    rayjay wrote:
    Hamilton, yes. But Millar's book contained little that he hadn't already told the Cofidis inquiry and Landis is yet to write a book (or at least a honest one).

I wouldn't hold you breath waiting for big revelations. Nothing about Di Luca suggests that he will reveal much to anyone. It'll be more self-justification and glorification.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Is there a market in Italy for 'tell all' books?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rayjay
    So it's ok for others to tell their stories and make some money?

But obviously only the dopers you like.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    Hamilton, yes. But Millar's book contained little that he hadn't already told the Cofidis inquiry and Landis is yet to write a book (or at least a honest one).

I wouldn't hold you breath waiting for big revelations. Nothing about Di Luca suggests that he will reveal much to anyone. It'll be more self-justification and glorification.

Hamilton's book also came out after he'd had to spill his guts to USADA. Same with Chicken and ADD.
  • RichN95.
    rayjay wrote:

No-one's saying that.
  • rayjay
    RichN95 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Rich, You have quite a few on here that slag off some dopers yet other doped riders, they will buy their books welcome them back in to the peloton . Its bull%%%% IMO.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited January 2014
    rayjay wrote:
    There must be quite a few riders who are sweating right now.

Yes, at the Tour Down Under. :P

Stands to reason, given that even he's said that the peloton has changed in so far
    as doping talk has ceased, that he'd be shopping his old muckers who have mostly
    gone into retirement.

Maybe Tin Tin has a bit of a sheen, but he'll be one of a select few.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    rayjay wrote:

Rubbish - no one has said that. Stop stirring.

It's ok to write a tell-all-book if you tell all. Thus far he has shown no indication of this, he's only tried to shift blame. If he wanted to help, he'd have helped already...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    rayjay wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Rich, You have quite a few on here that slag off some dopers yet other doped riders, they will buy their books welcome them back in to the peloton . Its bull%%%% IMO.
    Yeah, people are inconsistent. The sooner you learn that the better.

But with regard to Di Luca - he has no intention of spilling the beans about doping. He will continue to say nothing other than broad generalisations designed to put himself in a favourable light. Hamilton and Millar wanted to tell genuine stories about doping in pro cycling, with some blame shifting it must be said. I don't believe Di Luca has such a tale in mind. He is interested in repositioning himself as a champion - a flawed champion, but a champion none the less. I predict you will learn nothing about doping from Di Luca's book.