Kids - convince me they're worth it

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,768
    I've spawned a monster...

... er no hang on, that's what we're debating.

A little IP - clearly he/she/it would have to be colour coordinated.

Ooooh Pinarello do a kids roadie:..

Unfortunately, nobody does baby size jerseys that I can find. A niche in the market someone?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    I think you'll know when you're ready

But I reckon blokes rarely have that epiphany moment after which they feel ready. Women much more so.

I may be one of the exceptions. :oops:

It occurred while my wife and I were walking on a beach in Tasmania during our travels. We discussed it, and decided there and then that we were ready for it.

As WMC mentioned earlier on, the key for us was having them at the right time. We knew we wanted kids, but only when we knew we were ready for them. For me, my two little monkeys are the best thing ever.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227

Ooooh Pinarello do a kids roadie:

kui_306_minio.jpg

I'm sold.

They might not like cycling though.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959 wrote:

kui_306_minio.jpg

I'm sold.

Oooh! Low blow! Foul!!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,768
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This thread is making me want to try. I'm going ride home doubly quick tonight and put my best efforts in. She's protected from such seedlings but a man can try :P

I'll report it in the SCR thread tomorrow:

Well, your username is DonDaddyD.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,952
    gabriel959 wrote:

kui_306_minio.jpg

I'm sold.

Worse than that......they may not like red.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • reading the posts here I wonder why people plan to have kids. They are expensive, time consuming, restrictive and fabulous.

I have a 4 and 3quarters yr old boy. He was a bit of an accident, His mum was in size 10 jeans just hours before she gave birth. That was the first she knew about it. We had split 4ish months before but remained friends (started as friends and kinda just fell back into friends so stopped seeing each other).

I work shifts and have the little idiot every single day/nights off. I love his beam when I pick him up from school and he is just starting to get good on a bike so its all working well.

I havent made many compromises, I havent had to. i pay her plenty of money although its been reduced by her, I manage to get out enough, both on the bike and to the pub. Thats all due to the shift pattern though, if it was mon-fri 9 to 5 then I wouldnt have as much "me" time.

I think I was ready for it and I know I am lucky to have him as often as i do.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    That Pinarello is rather nice however I think I'd struggle to afford the mini-Bianchi so I'm not even going to check the price on that one :-)

So IP do Castelli do baby grows? ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    A couple of points from me, as someone who's recently found out he's going to be a dad:

1 I can say with hidsight that asking yourself the questions "do I want kids? when? how many?" is the way your brain gets used to the idea so you're ready when it happens. If you're in a physical relationship there's a good chance it'll happen sooner or later, whether planned or unplanned, so being psychologically prepared for it is useful.
    Girls have it a bit easier because they deal with these questions earlier in life. </generalisation> I believe this is just because that's the way our society treats the different sexes growing up.

2 A majority of human adults for millenia have successfully raised children (NB definitions of "successful" vary). Most of those had far fewer resources, worse medicine, less money, unreliable food sources, etc. It's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. You will cope, in fact you will probably thrive. Money will be tight, but it still would be if you earned twice as much. I bet the Queen had to pay attention to how much school fees were costing!

3 You will have less 'spare' time, and you will have to scale back some activities, and may resent what feels like subsuming a part of yourself. But you will be fulfilling a different part of your personality that until now has had limited opportunity to develop. That facet of your personality may be at odds with the way you currently see yourself, but it is a natural and completely integral part of you all the same.

As with all of my comments, this is just the way I feel right now, I may be wrong, I may change my mind tomorrow, and remember: your mileage may vary!
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • That Pinarello is rather nice however I think I'd struggle to afford the mini-Bianchi so I'm not even going to check the price on that one :-)

So IP do Castelli do baby grows? ;-)

I do actually know roadie in my village who's ten-year-old daughter has both the kiddies Bianchi and kiddies team kit to match. She did the Glasgow to Edinburgh run with him last year.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    fletch8928 wrote:
    He was a bit of an accident, His mum was in size 10 jeans just hours before she gave birth. That was the first she knew about it.

:shock: Eh, WTF!? How did she not notice the massive 'bump' and strange kicking etc? :shock: :shock:
  • Children are great. It's the teenagers that's the problem.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    rjsterry wrote:
    Unfortunately, nobody does baby size jerseys that I can find. A niche in the market someone?

just a small from an Italian maker surely? do they even do XS?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I've got more than twice as many bikes as children.

Not counting the spare road frames kicking around.

They are all old- can't afford anything these days, but can still get my old kit running just fine, even if most of it is 7 speed.

Wouldn't change it for the world.

I'm just waiting for the eldest to be big enough to fit on the back of our tandem, and then we'll really get motoring.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    sampras38 wrote:
    borrowing kids is much better than having your own...

you can get them all wound up on sugar and then give them back when you're bored.

That's the job of the grandparents. All the fun without the responsibility.

And the job of childless aunties/uncles :D
  • Sewinman wrote:
    fletch8928 wrote:
    He was a bit of an accident, His mum was in size 10 jeans just hours before she gave birth. That was the first she knew about it.

:shock: Eh, WTF!? How did she not notice the massive 'bump' and strange kicking etc? :shock: :shock:

She works with horses and its not unheard of for the girls to carry babies further back and up. I know it sounds strange but thats what happenend. Took me by surprise.
  • fletch8928 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    fletch8928 wrote:

She works with horses and its not unheard of for the girls to carry babies further back and up. I know it sounds strange but thats what happenend. Took me by surprise.

Ahhhhhh she works with horses, that makes sense then. Oh, no, hang on... no it doesn't!

Was he massively premature or something?
  • fletch8928 wrote:
    Took me by surprise.

Yeah. I can see how that would put a crimp in your day...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:
    fletch8928 wrote:
    Took me by surprise.

Sounds like the second coming...

"So Mary, you were a virgin when we met, right!?"

:twisted:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • He was 4-5 weeks early. finger nails gave that away. I understand that or have been led to believe that when riding Hunter/point to point type horses (probably with any horse that does proper jumps) and doing little jumps over gates, fences and field walls that the muscles keep tucking the womb and contents up. I havnt checked up on this as enough horsey folk have tried to explain it.

She did gain a little bit of weight but nothing to suggest she was 35 weeks gone.
  • DonDaddyD
    Amazing, what about womenly functions (you don't need to answer that, please don't answer that). I understand said functions, however, are a dead giveaway, well that and the wild and ferocious hormones.

"Don't touch the TV!"
    "But youre not even in the house, you called me"
    "I don't care, don't touch it I want loose women to be on as soon as I get through the door!"
    "Yes dear that is reasonable".

Still it is amazing, Fletch. Only other time I've heard of that was in Easterenders when Sonia gave birth to Martin's baby, right when she was going to sleep with Jamie....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    fletch8928 wrote:
    Took me by surprise.

Sounds like the second coming...

"So Mary, you were a virgin when we met, right!?"

:twisted:

Well I wouldnt go as far as to say she was a virgin :wink: .

Oh yeah reading the posts that you wrote DDD I should maybe add she too was protected against such events. I wasnt conned nor trapped either.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Cafewanda wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    borrowing kids is much better than having your own...

you can get them all wound up on sugar and then give them back when you're bored.

That's the job of the grandparents. All the fun without the responsibility.

And the job of childless aunties/uncles :D

+1 I do that too.

All the fun and none of the responsibility. Fab.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    It sounds a cliche but there really is nothing like the feeling when you walk in the door after having a crap day in the office to be greeted by a little voice, "daddy, daddy"...!

I have a little girl whose 3 and a half and a boy whose 1 and a half, and they're amazing.

But everyone's different and kids are definately not for everyone. I don't feel I lose out anywhere because of them and I still get to ride my bike. You just have to be a bit clever and work round them.
  • DonDaddyD
    fletch8928 wrote:

Oh yeah reading the posts that you wrote DDD I should maybe add she too was protected against such events. I wasnt conned nor trapped either.

False/misleading advertising surely! It doesn't do what it said on the packet. Sue, you'll be in for millions, new bike, maybe?
    Food Chain number = 4

• fletch8928 wrote:
    He was 4-5 weeks early. finger nails gave that away. I understand that or have been led to believe that when riding Hunter/point to point type horses (probably with any horse that does proper jumps) and doing little jumps over gates, fences and field walls that the muscles keep tucking the womb and contents up. I havnt checked up on this as enough horsey folk have tried to explain it.

She did gain a little bit of weight but nothing to suggest she was 35 weeks gone.

Bizarre. I've never heard of this but I can believe it... an ex who was a showjumper miscarried quite far in and we had no clue before that.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    sampras38 wrote:
    It sounds a cliche but there really is nothing like the feeling when you walk in the door after having a crap day in the office to be greeted by a little voice, "daddy, daddy"...!

Couldnt agree more - my 8th is due this summer.

Have recently bought my first road bike to get the miles up - no other contraception seems to work so trying the below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/climatechang ... _chan.html
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    fletch8928 wrote:

False/misleading advertising surely! It doesn't do what it said on the packet. Sue, you'll be in for millions, new bike, maybe?

Quoted from http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Contrac ... hoices.htm:
    How effective is contraception?

All the methods of contraception listed below are effective. However, no method is absolutely 100% reliable. The reliability for each method is given in percentages. For example, the contraceptive injection is more than 99% effective. This means that less than 1 woman in 100 will become pregnant each year using this method of contraception. When no contraception is used, more than 80 in 100 sexually active women become pregnant within one year.

The effectiveness of some methods depends on how you use them. You have to use them properly or they may lose their effect. For example, the 'pill' is more than 99% effective if taken correctly. If it is not taken correctly (for example, if you miss a pill or have vomiting) then it becomes less effective. Other 'user dependent' methods include barrier methods, the progestogen only pill and natural family planning.

Some methods are not so 'user dependent' and need to be renewed only infrequently or never. These methods include the contraceptive injection, implant, intrauterine devices (coils) and sterilisation.

I've seen some listed as 99.9% effective, so one in 1000 women using that method of contraception might fall pregnant within a year. Someone's got to be the unlucky one.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    antlaff, would this be 8 with the same woman? :shock:
  • antlaff wrote:
    Couldnt agree more - my 8th is due this summer.

:shock:

What. Did. You. Say?

Eight?

FFS - BJUK - get shagging! :D

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A