Who's doing the 2010 Cheshire Cat?

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Metcheck - 4C-9C - Possible light rain early - light wind from west
    BBC - 10C - light wind from west
    Weather - 10C - showers - medium wind from west

Right on the borderline of shorts or longs. I'm tempted to go with shorts.
    exercise.png
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    TheStone wrote:

Leg warmers are a very good investment -- I use a pair of Big George's.
    Cycling is no excuse to be stingy :wink:

I hauled up 16kgs of Giant mtb up Mow this morning - I still think the roads about are still too shitty for best bikes y'all.
  • Just chucked it down big time but sun out again now!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    JGSI wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Leg warmers are a very good investment -- I use a pair of Big George's.
    Cycling is no excuse to be stingy :wink:

I hauled up 16kgs of Giant mtb up Mow this morning - I still think the roads about are still too shitty for best bikes y'all.

Roads are fine for the best bike - no point having one if you aren't going to ride it..... just wash it when you've finished.... :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I rode my best bike on best wheels for the spring fling ride. And there was still a bit of snow and ice then too!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I'm one of the lucky ones who can pick best days for best bikes anytime I like...
    so in no hurry to have to wash it, thank you tho' for the offer :wink:

I am not certain I am actually doing the jaunt - someone has given me a 'ticket' if I want to use it.
    On a slightly less trivial note and it has been mentioned before by others, the route descends into the rather tedious after the first 50 mile or so and I can't disagree - so I was only planning the 60 miler
  • benji90
    benji90 Posts: 114
    I have just bought some Fast Forward F6's which are basically 58mm rims, as I havent riden them yet so dont know how they perform, do you think it might be too windy for them on Sunday.

I have some nice other wheels, was just keen to ride my new bling!!!
  • Anonymous
    benji90 wrote:
    I have just bought some Fast Forward F6's which are basically 58mm rims, as I havent riden them yet so dont know how they perform, do you think it might be too windy for them on Sunday.

I have some nice other wheels, was just keen to ride my new bling!!!

You'll be fine.

I often ride with a 58mm front, 81mm rear up in the peaks.
  • moolarb
    moolarb Posts: 83
    managed to finally get up Mow Cop today - 3rd time lucky :)

new cassette helped so my lowest gear was 38x28

tried twice before with 38x25 but I just needed that extra low gear for the steep bit near the pub

took it nice and easy in the saddle all the way up to the start of the steep bit then out of the saddle and honked it up

once I got some momentum I was fine and knew I would make it

woohoo :D
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Forecast on Metcheck.com is looking okay now. Can’t wait - see you all tomorrow!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    It is looking like a nice day ahead. Shall be jumping on the train up to Crewe in a few hours. Should be a good one.
  • Anonymous
    I can't come and watch on mow cop now as MrsNapD is working late notice overtime :c
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    I can't come and watch on mow cop now as MrsNapD is working late notice overtime :c

Missed something? Are you not cycling tomorrow Alex?
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • fossyant
    Bike polished :D
  • Anonymous
    Macondo01 wrote:

Missed something? Are you not cycling tomorrow Alex?

Nope. Now got the kids.
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    Hope you all have a good day tomorrow!
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    Have a good ride tomorrow guys, hope the weather holds out.
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Was doing it now not :cry: . Got assualted at work and now have a cracked rib well pissed off.Have a good day to all thats doing it hope the rain stays away for you all.
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • Papapete
    Papapete Posts: 133
    We all now need to know what you do for work.........that sounds bad.

Good ride to all tomorrow, looks like rain staying away but a good headwind may be around.
  • Anonymous
    He's a pole dancer.
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Prison officer/Part time pole dancer. :lol: .
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    strong westerly wind out there this morning.should test the legs of those taking part.
  • phreak
    Just got back to London. Was a good ride. Mow Cop was easier than I thought it would be, but I'm a midget so hills are generally fine. The wind however made things really hard. Got round in about 6h30m though so quite pleased with that.
  • fossyant
    6:18 total time, including queueing for water/loos at first stop.

5:45 ride time.

That 40 mile headwind was hard work.

Mow Cop was fine for me, but a 39 x 24 got my HR to 191..... :shock:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Did 120 miles today, and except for the d!ckless piece of sh!t that stole my (vintage) water bottle off my bike while I was in the toilet at one of the stops, it was a great day.
  • fossyant
    Pokerface wrote:
    Did 120 miles today, and except for the d!ckless piece of sh!t that stole my (vintage) water bottle off my bike while I was in the toilet at one of the stops, it was a great day.

That's poor - left my Edge 705 on at the stops..gits.........
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Did for novelty value of a sportive start that was 5 mins ride away, think next year I'll just buy 28 quids worth of viennese whirls and do my own route on less busy roads. I totally wimped out on Mow Cop, I can pretend it was because a chap fell off in front of me but I don't think I was going to do it anyway, well done to those who managed it though.
  • fossyant
    I rode it as to prove if my shoulder would hold up - RTA about 14 months ago, and it did fine, an feels fine now.... Was good to ride with so many until the first feed at 25 miles, but the numbers of riders started drying up, especially after the 50 mile feed...... and I didn't get started until 9.30.....despite being early, didn't think to queue till just before 8.30 and a huge crowd had appeared.....

I saw too many folk bail on Mow Cop...no way was I going to do it, even on my gearing - I think my face was a picture of pain...........

Some awesome support from locals on the route which I thought was great.... fair fel little old ladies waving from their gardens houses.

Anyone else spot the cheeky kids in their garden, on the left, just after the steep section of Mow Cop... shouting "come on you're going too slow'...... heh heh...thought that was funny...but bet their road is rubbish for cycling....... :twisted:
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    I managed Mow Cop ok, the last bit was a nightmare with cars trying to get past and people falling over.
    You might have mentioned that after the steep bit it carries on going up round the corner!
    I also thought the hill afterwoods was harder. But that might be because I'm weak and it was all too much!
  • phreak
    pickled wrote:
    I managed Mow Cop ok, the last bit was a nightmare with cars trying to get past and people falling over.
    You might have mentioned that after the steep bit it carries on going up round the corner!
    I also thought the hill afterwoods was harder. But that might be because I'm weak and it was all too much!

Aye, I sprinted for the cameras at the pub near the top, then realised there was a wee bit more to do. Suppose that'll teach me :lol: