• macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    D'oh heavy rain now forecast
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Macondo01 wrote:
    A pal warned me that the roads between Rushton and Macclesfield are badly pot holed and to watch out on the descents, 'enough to take a wheel out' were his words.!

They are terrible - checked the route out 3 weeks ago - watch some of the descents
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    One to be careful of will - if I'm reading the map correctly - be immediately after the first feedstop.
    I think the feedstop will be a in a village hally-type place, then a drop down fast into some woods, followed by couple of short stiff climbs and then drop down to Danebridge.

That drop in the woods has a s-bend/chicane in it, with monster potholes right on the line - there is one nice line right through the middle which will avoid it all but either side of it you're going to lose your fillings or damage a wheel !

Right afterwards the road hits the valley bottom at what looks like an old mill, then turns right and then back left and suddenly kicks up to perhaps 1:8 for 25yds : get caught a bit slow changing gears, get stuck in the big ring and this is a very hard out-of-the saddle heave ! (guess how I know...) :?

Then you have the fun of the Danebridge and Wincle climbs, which KiloToGo make very little mention of but are far harder than the Bridestones...
  • fossyant
    Got my malt loaf, fruit cake, fig rolls and oat bars today........ just need a team car to carry it all :shock:

Like Andy WRX, the 'wooded bit' has some nasty pot holes on the inside - go for the middle of the road. The descent after the feed is bad - lots of big holes on the inside - very difficult to see in bright sunshine because of the shadows from trees/hedges.

Should be fun shoe horning 2700 riders down there...... :shock:
  • macondo01
    Those tips are helpful Andy and fossyant.

Looked at the forecast and bought myself a proper waterproof as there may be proper rain on Sunday!

National Lampoon
  • fossyant
    Another tip..... after coming off Bridestones, and into Rushton Spencer. When crossing the Macc/Leek road, slap your gears in or near bottom, as the climb out of Rushton is very narrow off the main road, and it's steep - if there is a bottle neck of cyclists crossing the main road, then it's going to be tricky filtering up until the road widens.

Weather wise, just watch the forecast. I'm driving down, so will take a fair amount of spare kit and decide there.

What gears has everyone got...... 39 x 24 is my bottom....... :shock:
  • macondo01
    Thanks.

34/25 are my gears

National Lampoon
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Macondo01 wrote:
    Thanks.

34/25 are my gears

You will be dancing up Mow Cop then!
  • macondo01
    Oops no excuses now. :D

Never tried Mow Cop, but in last three weeks have done Swiss Hill and Blaze Hill ok - so feeling more confident. I also have a new weapon which is staring at my front wheel going up which works wonders. Oh and there's new white bar tape too!

National Lampoon
  • Anonymous
    Swiss hill is harder than Mow Cop.
  • macondo01
    edited March 2010

Really! Yay!

National Lampoon
  • Anonymous
    Macondo01 wrote:

Really! Yay!!
    [/quote]

BR Quote fail!
    :o
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Mow Cop shouldn't be as tough as I found Crowdicote should it? Didn't enjoy that at all!
    I'm on 34/25 as well, but it doesn't help when you're not fit!
  • macondo01
    Macondo01 wrote:

Swiss hill is harder than Mow Cop.Quote:

Really! Yay!!

BR Quote fail!

It's all the excitement!

Have taken some deep breaths. Quote powers restored :D

National Lampoon
  • Anonymous
    pickled wrote:
    Mow Cop shouldn't be as tough as I found Crowdicote should it? Didn't enjoy that at all!
    I'm on 34/25 as well, but it doesn't help when you're not fit!

Similar to Crowdicote but Mow Cop has that steep short kick near the top...
  • fossyant
    Mow cop's only hard near the pub, but it's not long - try Winnats. What might make it difficult is if someone bails in front of you........

Looking forward to riding with 2700 others, just hope the registration is efficient, and I can be off pretty sharpish.....
  • Anonymous
    What I find makes mow cop seen harder than it actually is is because it is reasonably steep then you round the left hander and see it carrying on at that gradient for a couple of hundred metres and are faced by what looks like an impossible wall as it is straight on.

However, it's obviously doable as I do it on a 39-25, and I'm a pi55 weak, overweight asthmatic with a duff leg...
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Stop bigging yourself up... :wink:
    I've only tried Winnats once and had to walk due to a fecked knee.
    I'm not entirely sure I'd have succeeded with a good one...
  • Anonymous
    pickled wrote:
    Stop bigging yourself up... :wink:
    I've only tried Winnats once and had to walk due to a fecked knee.
    I'm not entirely sure I'd have succeeded with a good one...

I've never cycled Winnats Pass but have driven it many a time. I would suggest from that that Winnats is a fair bit harder than Mow Cop...
  • fossyant
    Don't tell yourself it's hard....just plod on. Wincle looks terrible as you descend into the vilage, and can see the road rise straight up..... oh 'flip' came out of my mouth three weeks ago (been a long time since I've ridden round there) - just plod on, look a few feet in front and go.........

The 'facebook' page of Kilo to Go keeps bigging Mow Cop up - they will have folk terrified even before the level crossing at the bottom..... :?

You'll be riding with many others, the adrenaline will give you a big shove up the hill anyway.
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Hmm ... heavy rain and monster potholes.
    This might be one for the winter bike, alas.
    Mind you metcheck are still reporting a nice day on Sunday with snow on Monday, who to believe?
  • fossyant
    Heh..heh...don't ride through the puddles, you might not come back out........... :lol:
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    It was awful weather on the Saturday two years ago, driving wind and rain, not nice at all.

But then on Sunday the skies cleared and it was a lovely Spring day...

...until that nice person in that 4x4 drove through that puddle near Beeston and drenched me from the waist down.

I was pleased.
  • moolarb
    moolarb Posts: 83
    Where is Swiss Hill? Winnats and Mow Cop are the only hills I haven't managed to do so far, at least on the road bike. MTB is cheating, right?
  • Anonymous
    moolarb wrote:
    Where is Swiss Hill? Winnats and Mow Cop are the only hills I haven't managed to do so far, at least on the road bike. MTB is cheating, right?

Alderley Edge

Rough cobbles which make it hard when it's wet...
  • moolarb
    moolarb Posts: 83
    I'll have to look out for that, I go through Alderley Edge on my commute.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    moolarb wrote:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Manchester,+Lancashire+M30,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.300909,-2.227392&spn=0.003225,0.014613&z=17

fairly easy when its dry, a nighmare in the wet!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    a_n_t wrote:
    moolarb wrote:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Manchester,+Lancashire+M30,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.300909,-2.227392&spn=0.003225,0.014613&z=17

I wouldn't describe it as easy. Maybe for someone like yourself who weighs nothing and is fit...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    NapoleonD wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    moolarb wrote:

I wouldn't describe it as easy. Maybe for someone like yourself who weighs nothing and is fit...

I think the word is "doable"

Will can climb it out of the saddle wet or dry, so I bet he'd say it's easy.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I live near to where the course is going round and the roads are ok, couple of potholes but more 'rough' than anything. We had huge showers last night but ok today pretty warm, with sunshine and a wind so if it stays like this it'll dry out.

If it stays windy the stretch from Siddington to Lower Withington will be tough, pretty open plains that roll on and on, especially if you're riding alone.