Useless Things That will Hasten the Demise of Civilisation

Comments

• _Brun_ wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed Fox's Glacier Mints are smaller than they used to be?

:lol::lol:
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed Fox's Glacier Mints are smaller than they used to be?

How long have you been sucking it?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Attica wrote:
    Maybe if I put the petrol straight on the drive and lit it...

tried it, it was a bugger to light and took several gallons just to clear a path to my Hummer

Bah, well that's no good then. What if I use coal instead? It's only about a mile of road I've got to clear after all...

Mate of mine took a sledgehammer to the pavement to clear the hard packed ice....
    Just waiting till after the thaw when the Local Authority turn up and charge him for replacing a broken up pavement.
    Our local council got a contractor with a JCB to clear the shopping precinct. Glad I didn't work in one of the shops and have to listen to the scrape of metal on smooth slabs all day.

Fortunately it looks like they've managed to do it without scraping all the slabs and ruining the two year old over budget "streetscape".
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    with clearing the snow with petrol again. I would go for red diesel or kerosene i would then mix it with sand or grit ( this will act like a wick and allow you to pack it on top of the snow as well as giveing you a base to heat to melt the snow.) This should allow you to get alot more burning. Now remember that at the low temps that we have to day that you may need to pre heat the mix b4 you light it so i would use your patio heaters for that.....

as for using TNT to clear the snow it just would not work the blast is rouns and you would end up filling in the holes you have already blown with snow. Det corde is what you realy want should beable to clear 600m+ of road a second.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonating_cord

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU64SLmn ... re=related

fun fun fun.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • as for using TNT to clear the snow it just would not work the blast is rouns and you would end up filling in the holes you have already blown with snow. Det corde is what you realy want should beable to clear 600m+ of road a second.

fun fun fun.

Interesting, I think this thread has gone full circle and we're back to 'things that will hasten the demise of civilisation'.

OMG did you see what I did there? :P :)
  • Seeing as we're almost back on topic, after the sudden eruption of invention threads, I'm becoming convinced that the new topic button may be hastening the demise of civilisation.

Should I start a new thread to discuss this?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    -null- wrote:
    I have to disagree about travelators, you need them when you have a trolley otherwise you'd be waiting ages to get space on a lift.

I think we should un-invent mobile phones or make them only able to make emergency calls and calls to a few select numbers i.e.home.

Travelators - i mean the ones that do not go up - just along the flat, like at big airports - you can walk, even with a trolley.

Was thinking about mobile phones - I think they make you lazy.

The worse thing is when people get on travelators and stop walking. Now I can understand perhaps not walking up an escalator (but even then...), but surely a travelator's there to help you get somewhere more quickly not so you can just veg on the spot for a while...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • with clearing the snow with petrol again. I would go for red diesel or kerosene i would then mix it with sand or grit ( this will act like a wick and allow you to pack it on top of the snow as well as giveing you a base to heat to melt the snow.) This should allow you to get alot more burning. Now remember that at the low temps that we have to day that you may need to pre heat the mix b4 you light it so i would use your patio heaters for that.....

as for using TNT to clear the snow it just would not work the blast is rouns and you would end up filling in the holes you have already blown with snow. Det corde is what you realy want should beable to clear 600m+ of road a second.

fun fun fun.

I've been thinking about this over lunch.

You want something that burns long and slow. Gives off a bit of heat - enough to melt ice - but not so much that it burns too fast or couldn't be dragged around to a new site whilst still burning.

Tyres.

Plus it's a great way to get rid of them, because I'm certain they're not biodegradable.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg66 wrote:
    You want something that burns long and slow

No No No

What you need is a large can of WD 40, gardening gloves, a lighter and a cavalier attitude to self immolation.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

I'll run a small scale trial before rigging something on my front forks and creating the worlds first bike / flamethrower combo.

I do not see what can go wrong.

It's OK I'll take full safety precautions - I'll wear a BSI Approved helmet.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Greg66 wrote:
    with clearing the snow with petrol again. I would go for red diesel or kerosene i would then mix it with sand or grit ( this will act like a wick and allow you to pack it on top of the snow as well as giveing you a base to heat to melt the snow.) This should allow you to get alot more burning. Now remember that at the low temps that we have to day that you may need to pre heat the mix b4 you light it so i would use your patio heaters for that.....

fun fun fun.

I've been thinking about this over lunch.

You want something that burns long and slow. Gives off a bit of heat - enough to melt ice - but not so much that it burns too fast or couldn't be dragged around to a new site whilst still burning.

Tyres.

Plus it's a great way to get rid of them, because I'm certain they're not biodegradable.

What about some low level radioactive waste? I mean if you get some stuff with a half life of say 6 months, the you would only need 1 application each winter to keep the roads and pavement clear.

And before people start bleating about health effects, did you not see the story of the gentleman in Japan that got hit by both atom bombs and lived into his 90's - nicknamed "Lucky" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    What about some low level radioactive waste? I mean if you get some stuff with a half life of say 6 months, the you would only need 1 application each winter to keep the roads and pavement clear.

And before people start bleating about health effects, did you not see the story of the gentleman in Japan that got hit by both atom bombs and lived into his 90's - nicknamed "Lucky" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi
    He was in both cities when they were bombed. Now that is bad luck.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    BSOs. I'm not going to say hybrids. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Pretty much the same as the witch-hunters back in the darkages that pushed humans backwards after all the wonderful advancements the Romans made.

If you're interested in this, you should read Terry Jones' book Barbarians, which debunks the myth that the Romans were the civilised ones and demonstrates that in their desire for stasis, they destroyed far more innovations and resources of knowledge than they created, and that neighbouring civilisations were often far more "advanced" both socially and scientifically. Really good book.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    You want something that burns long and slow

No No No

What you need is a large can of WD 40, gardening gloves, a lighter and a cavalier attitude to self immolation.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

I'll run a small scale trial before rigging something on my front forks and creating the worlds second bike / flamethrower combo.

I do not see what can go wrong.

It's OK I'll take full safety precautions - I'll wear a BSI Approved helmet.

Fixed that for ya! 8)

3043072630_6ffa9d8edd_m.jpg
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jesus.... now this is worrying. My sink in my kitchen is blocked and I am throwing the waste water out the back door, not the window.... If you hear of a sudden outbreak of bubonic plague centring on Glasgow, and I have not posted... then farewell my friends!!

Nah, you're alright, with waste water it's much more likely to be cholera, or possibly dysentery if you're lucky.
  • suzyb
    cjcp wrote:
    I will end you all :twisted:

(I have one of both)
  • cjcp
    -null- wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

(I have one of both)[/quote

STONE HIM! STONE HIM! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • suzyb
    cjcp wrote:
    -null- wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Her :D
  • cjcp
    -null- wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    -null- wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

HER even! STONE HER! STONE HER!

Ah, cr@p. Sorry. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    @cjcp sigh! really? come on old man :lol: it's '
    <username> wrote:
    text or quote
    '
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    :P

Btw, on the subject of CO2 canisters, a club mate who lives in California went into a LBS, asked for some and was told they don't sell them because they're bad for the environment.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The worse thing is when people get on travelators and stop walking. Now I can understand perhaps not walking up an escalator (but even then...), but surely a travelator's there to help you get somewhere more quickly not so you can just veg on the spot for a while...

Ditto escalators. It shows people up for what they really are - pathetic lazy wasters! I know, for a fact, that if people were given the opportunity to have travelators everywhere, they would jump at it. Anything to avoid actually doing anything at all. In 500 years, we'll have evolved into Jabba the Hutt.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    cjcp wrote:
    -null- wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    -null- wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Are there any women here?

<high pitched> no no </high pitched>

<Low pitched> No NO NO </Low pitched>

Who threw that?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    -null- wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    -null- wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Are there any women here?

<high pitched> no no </high pitched>

<Low pitched> No NO NO </Low pitched>

Who threw that?

Nobody is to stone anybody until I say so, even if they do say Jehovah!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Attica wrote:
    Grrrr..Perhaps I'm the most useless... how do you post an inline pic here???

Here's the link

4252181563_eaef11fc2b.jpg

Go to the flickr page, right click on the photo and select the properties, then copy and paste the url from that

I showed my daughter this picture and she said, "what would be good would be if that was the down escalator and the other was the up one, so you actually had to do something to get into the gym".
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    Rolf F wrote:

Ditto escalators. It shows people up for what they really are - pathetic lazy wasters! I know, for a fact, that if people were given the opportunity to have travelators everywhere, they would jump at it. Anything to avoid actually doing anything at all. In 500 years, we'll have evolved into Jabba the Hutt.

No you are both wrong

Cycling good
    Driving good
    Walking suck$

The sooner mankind eliminates walking the better

ETA You know what would be great, a travelator to eliminate that horrible walk from the house to the shed to get the bike.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The thread about the CO2 cartridges got me thinking.

Travelators - escalators I get, but not on the flat! airports where there is a low of walking, people are a bit late, have heavy bags or are elderly.....
    Running machines - get outside (same with turbo trainers) running machines have less impact, you can customise the speed/effort/incline to your exact requirements, you can run even if its icy outside
    Patio heaters - just so wrong

90% of political correctness + 80% of human rights & equality are bollox
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    Free newspapers, they just rehash newswires and press releases, without original content. They take market share away from real papers who then can't pay their people. If the news isn't important enough to buy a paper, read a book instead; like people used to do before the bloody Metro.
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • Nerve gas

Napalm

Blue lights & hooting exhausts that go on Chav's cars

the European Parliament- colossal waste of taxpayers time & money

cycle computers! (guilty as charged) :P

fabric car steering wheel covers

DISPOSABLE nappies- come 2150 the entire planet will be deep in them

plastic bottles- as above they will be covering the planet until 3010. Glass worked OK,
    also I understand that cardboard bottles have been developed.

antibacterial sprays- use soap and water. Those chemicals aren't good for you OR the
    environment

That sounds like enough to start an argument!

[/u]
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    0scar wrote:
    Free newspapers, they just rehash newswires and press releases, without original content. They take market share away from real papers who then can't pay their people. If the news isn't important enough to buy a paper, read a book instead; like people used to do before the bloody Metro.

In my house, free newspapers fulfill a vital function: mopping. Waste cooking fats, spilt drinks, dripping chain lube - it's all the same to the Gloucester Echo (or whatever it's called).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}