Useless Things That will Hasten the Demise of Civilisation

Comments

• Coriander wrote:
    Oh, and Lits, I will explain how 24 hour news channels will bring about the end of civilisation later. But it will.

:lol:

'Mark my words, young lady...' ;)
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Actually, Agas are great .

+1 My folks have one, and two 4x4's, but then when you live and work in the countryside these things tend to be fairly necessary. Painting all aga using 4x4 owning people as middle class planet wreckers is just a little c0ckish.

+ several. Believe it or not, some people actually need 4x4s.

'xactly - try checking on the welfare of livestock in the snow in a fecking Prius. Or heating an old farmhouse in a gas free area with electricity...[/quote

Since I was one of those who brought up 4x4s as evil, I'll bite. Well, more nibble really...

I live in the countryside, and there's a simple test:
    - If you have proper offroad tyres on your 4x4, chances are you need it.
    - If you have road tyres on it, it's a fashion statement.

Sadly I don't have an Aga, but my gas-fired central heating has been on pretty much 16 hours a day for the last 2 weeks. I dread to think how much this is costing me !

:lol:
    Misguided Idealist
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Can't we just get rid of celebrities?
  • Fireblade96
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Can't we just get rid of celebrities?
    What are celebrities ?

(don't watch much TV, me....)

:wink:
    Misguided Idealist
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    - If your 4x4 is a Landrover Defender or Toyota Hilux, chances are you need it.
    - If it isn't it, it's a fashion statement.

Fixed that for you :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Fireblade96
    Rolf F wrote:
    - If your 4x4 can be hosed out when it gets dirty, chances are you need it
    - If it isn't it, it's a fashion statement.

Fixed again :D
    Misguided Idealist
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Rolf F wrote:
    I live in the city, and there's a simple test:
    - If your 4x4 can take up 2 spaces at M&S, chances are you need it
    - If it can't, it's not big enough.

And again :lol:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    - If your 4x4 has no working door locks, chances are you need it
    - If your 4x4 has ever been to M&S, irrespective of the number of spaces it takes up, it's a fashion statement.

And once more!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    - If your 4x4 looks like a sh*t heap, chances are you need it
    - If your 4x4 is new and has been designed, it's a fashion statement.

And once more!

Oh go on then 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    StuAff wrote:

The split screen demos in shops are BS- a decent SD source looks much better on my new TV (full HD 32") than they purport to show. On my setup (with fairly cheap but quality HDMI cables), SD (off air or via SCART from my PVR) look pretty good, upscaled DVDs look excellent (on BR or DVD player), as for Blu-Ray....wow. Any of my first few discs look fantastic. .With decent cabling and the TV set up correctly, there's a big difference over regular SD systems. BR's not hugely over upscaled DVD, which is more than passable, but significantly better nonetheless.

The quality of HDMI cable is a red herring. Digital signal doesn't degrade in the short journey from box to TV so there's no point in spending £££ on bling cabling, despite what the likes of IXOS would have you believe. Of course analogue cabling is a whole new argument...

I have to agree, the whole idea of spending ££££ on digital cabling (audio, network, whatever) strikes me as nuts. My HDMI cables cost £4.99 each (thatcable.com)- very nicely put together, gold connectors etc. But I can't say I can see a difference over the one I paid 99p for!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    edited January 2010
    Porgy wrote:
    Money - trading goods and skills is cool

So there would be no saving

No lending or borrowing

And what would you do if you wanted my goods but I didn't need your skills or services?

I'm only being about 50% serious here - but let's face it - this money thing has a lot to answer for.

Actually I've always been a great supporter of local exchange and trading schemes - we managed to organise a wedding reception, a house move, and renovate a property while we were on one - something we'd never had done if we'd needed mere cash.

We did borrow - my wife was down for legal and welfare advice skills, I can't remember what I was down for - but I have a few skills - and a car for runnning people round in .

We borrowed against the scheme as the guy who did the plumbing didn't need anything we offered. There was no actual direct trading - or very lttile - anyway it worked - and would have worked better if more poeple were in the scheme. No longer in it as we moved away from the area.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Porgy wrote:
    aga cookers - as if middle class people aren't doing their best to wreck the planet with their 4xwheel drives, they then stick one of these inefficient monstrosities in their country cottage. :evil:

+1 My folks have one, and two 4x4's, but then when you live and work in the countryside these things tend to be fairly necessary. Painting all aga using 4x4 owning people as middle class planet wreckers is just a little c0ckish.

i didn't

I've met enough middle class types who think that buying an aga makes them green - ones that buy into FoE and Greenpeace and like to blame the toiling the masses (eg,patio heaters) for every ill without seeing the damage they do themselves - to know that this is a significant phenomena - if you put yourself in that category then that's up to you - of the cap fits etc. I'm sure an aga can be used efficiently. but I'm also pretty sure that without being careful about using an Aga - they can be extremely wasteful.

I come from the country myself - Devon - and none of us folk ever had an Aga or a 4 wheel drive. Don't see how they're necessary tbh.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I vote for Public Service Bureaucracy, this will destroy the world. The useless hide behind it effectively and use it both as sword and shield, at the same time also using it to prevent anyone else doing whatever needs to be done in anything close to approaching real time, all while charging some tax or other for the priviledge of mucking you around.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Porgy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    aga cookers - as if middle class people aren't doing their best to wreck the planet with their 4xwheel drives, they then stick one of these inefficient monstrosities in their country cottage. :evil:

i didn't

I've met enough middle class types who think that buying an aga makes them green - ones that buy into FoE and Greenpeace and like to blame the toiling the masses (eg,patio heaters) for every ill without seeing the damage they do themselves - to know that this is a significant phenomena - if you put yourself in that category then that's up to you - of the cap fits etc. I'm sure an aga can be used efficiently. but I'm also pretty sure that without being careful about using an Aga - they can be extremely wasteful.

I come from the country myself - Devon - and none of us folk ever had an Aga or a 4 wheel drive. Don't see how they're necessary tbh.

You pretty much did... as for 4x4 not being necessary, my Dad runs several nature reserves and farms in Kent and Sussex, it's the kind of job that makes a 4x4 rather vital*. This goes for many people that live and work in the country, a huge number of who are probably 'middle class' I'd just prefer it if people didn't see the need to make such sweeping statements.

*For the record I now live in London, in a modern, well insulated and energy efficient flat and don't drive, although I am considering purchasing a patio heater. Does this make me Good or Evil?
  • il_principe
    chuckcork wrote:
    I vote for Public Service Bureaucracy, this will destroy the world. The useless hide behind it effectively and use it both as sword and shield, at the same time also using it to prevent anyone else doing whatever needs to be done in anything close to approaching real time, all while charging some tax or other for the priviledge of mucking you around.

You think it's bad here, you should try Turkish Bureaucracy, makes us look like rank amateurs.
  • rolf_f
    Meerkats - especially unfunny Russian ones.......
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

*For the record I now live in London, in a modern, well insulated and energy efficient flat and don't drive, although I am considering purchasing a patio heater. Does this make me Good or Evil?

Is burning wood carbon neutral? I'm sure I saw it was. If it is get a chiminea instead they look better and you can't cook potatos on a patio heater.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The quality of HDMI cable is a red herring. Digital signal doesn't degrade in the short journey from box to TV so there's no point in spending £££ on bling cabling, despite what the likes of IXOS would have you believe. Of course analogue cabling is a whole new argument...

I have to query this. My Dad bought a pair of £150 interconnects for his amplifier to the CD player. Huge difference compared to the much cheaper ones (platinum vs. gold I think he had before. However, a HD digital signal I simply dunno.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I have to query this. My Dad bought a pair of £150 interconnects for his amplifier to the CD player. Huge difference compared to the much cheaper ones (platinum vs. gold I think he had before. However, a HD digital signal I simply dunno.

DDD read my post - I specifically said HDMI cabling. I imagine (given your use of the plural 'interconnects' that your Dad is using analogue interconnects, not HDMI).

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/digitalanalog.htm
  • Fireblade96
    prawny wrote:

Is burning wood carbon neutral? I'm sure I saw it was. If it is get a chiminea instead they look better and you can't cook potatos on a patio heater.

And if you buy a chiminea, you can get it to do this* :
    4255714777_71c5b29b07_m.jpg
    You can't do that with a patio heater :twisted:

*This sort of use of a chiminea may invalidate your warranty, house insurance, etc. Not recommended if you live in a flat !
    Misguided Idealist
  • Porgy wrote:

But isn't the point of an aga that it will keep your cottage warm when you're not there? If you're only going to be there from Friday night to Sunday afternoon, you certainly don't want to arrive in a chilly house, so it's much better to leave the aga running all week to keep the house warm. And stop pipes freezing.

Especially with the climate changing so much at the moment.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Reality TV
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Rolf F wrote:

The latest advert is top drawer! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Anarchists
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    cjcp wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

The latest advert is top drawer! :)

Is it for socks?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Greg66 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

But isn't the point of an aga that it will keep your cottage warm when you're not there? If you're only going to be there from Friday night to Sunday afternoon, you certainly don't want to arrive in a chilly house, so it's much better to leave the aga running all week to keep the house warm. And stop pipes freezing.

Reminds me of the Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch - "Come home to a real fire - buy a cottage in Wales..."

House-on-fire.jpg
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    On the 4x4 SUV-style front...

Now, I don't necessarily like them, but, given the fact that they have been used to charge snow drifts and save people in the last week, you can certainly see a need for them.

Agas are great things.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Greg66 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Reminds me of the Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch - "Come home to a real fire - buy a cottage in Wales..."

House-on-fire.jpg

I love that sig, can't remember whos a Terry Pratchett quote:-
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

It's absolutely awful if, for example, your mother is in Australia having told you that we'll need more gas, and you and your brother, again hypothetically speaking, have totally forgotten about the gas and focused on drinking all the beer. And the aga goes out.

Aaaaagh so cold! And no stove! And no heating!

And what's more, it takes a good couple of days to get back up to temperature... never switch your aga off...
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

It's absolutely awful if, for example, your mother is in Australia having told you that we'll need more gas, and you and your brother, again hypothetically speaking, have totally forgotten about the gas and focused on drinking all the beer. And the aga goes out.

Aaaaagh so cold! And no stove! And no heating!

And what's more, it takes a good couple of days to get back up to temperature... never switch your aga off...

Have you not got a couple of patio heaters you can use as back up? We've been using our to melt snow on the patio for the last couple of evenings. It's not very good at the job, I must admit, but it beats shovelling and sweeping.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A