Useless Things That will Hasten the Demise of Civilisation

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Wallace, how old are you? Next you'll be saying that you protested when colour TV was released to the masses.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Even with better headphones the iPOD still turns people into shuffling morons - pedestrians who seem totally unaware of their surroundings and just wander in front of you - actually I think people in general seem to be unaware of their surroundings as they shuffle round in herds - its probably this more than anything else that will bring about the downfall of civilisation - look how we have failed to manage after a couple of days of snow

Not sure the iPod is as fault here - stupid people will always be stupid people. If they weren't shuffling around listening to music, they'd be doing something else to irritate the rest of us.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I see no difference in quality between normal and HD (yes, TV is HD)

Are you sure you're watching something sent by a proper HD signal?

+1 The difference is night and day. Especially when you stick on a Bluray and compare it to a SD movie.

Yes, getting a proper HD through my V+.
    I honestly cannot see difference.

Have you got a proper HD TV?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wallace, how old are you? Next you'll be saying that you protested when colour TV was released to the masses.

Colour TV?

I am happy with the HD on my Granada B&W portable, but honestly cannot see the difference....

OK, that was a joke.

TV is pretty new, March last year. Maybe my eyes are not the best as I honestly cannot see the big difference. I will say, it does look slightly sharper, but not mind alteringly so.

Does nobody else think it is not THAT much better?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ...Pretty much the same as the witch-hunters back in the darkages that pushed humans backwards after all the wonderful advancements the Romans made. "Aquaducts who needs them, lets just throw all our waste out the window or into the cesspit and bring forth the black death" :roll: ...

Surely that wasn't "witch-hunters" so much as the collapse of civilisation. The Roman empire lost its ability to rule and in their absence only limited government prevailed. Without sufficient organisation, infrastructure like aqueducts was unsustainable and fell into disuse.
    It wasn't the actions of a few but the failure of many to act together.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    edited January 2010
    You don't need all that stuff. A to Z - Look at a map the night before, and you will know where you are going, if you get lost ask a Policeman!. A diary - small scrap of paper, back of fag packet. MP3 - hum a tune in your head. Camera - are you the press? No, well you need not a camera. Phone - a couple of shiney 2p pieces will sort you out at any of the red phoneboxes dotted handily all over the place. E-mail - just pop a letter in any of the handy red pillar boxer dotted all over the place.

My next thing you will be wanting some stables for your horesless carriages!!

Yours, Victorian Father.

Hilarious, but alarmingly close to the truth for many it seems :lol::lol::lol:

BTW, as a reluctant recent convert to the iPhone there is no way to deny it - the interface works brilliantly (same for the iPod) and careful choice of app(lication)s makes it a very useful device.

Edit: iPhone is so much better than my BlackBerry.
  • DonDaddyD
    WGW, yes, yes that is what happens. I was... are forget it.

Tonight I shall do away with my central heating and light a fire in the living room made of books and trees instead.
    Food Chain number = 4

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    SecretSam wrote:
    Oh - and Celebrity Magazines, from Hello down the food chain. The use of trees to produce such sh17 is offensive beyond belief.
    +1000
    A few mates also concur, and they have seen it in shops where they show a spilt screen with the difference. The difference is, there is no difference. It is the Emperors New Clothes.
    I don't see much of a difference with the split screen in shops either but with something like football then it is obvious because the grass is so much clearer with HD.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ...Pretty much the same as the witch-hunters back in the darkages that pushed humans backwards after all the wonderful advancements the Romans made. "Aquaducts who needs them, lets just throw all our waste out the window or into the cesspit and bring forth the black death" :roll: ...

Jesus.... now this is worrying. My sink in my kitchen is blocked and I am throwing the waste water out the back door, not the window.... If you hear of a sudden outbreak of bubonic plague centring on Glasgow, and I have not posted... then farewell my friends!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Shops aren't really the best place to test these things sadly, they tend to feck around with the settings. I prefer to look at equipment in shops staffed by folk who actually know what they are doing - so not Dixons etc.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    aga cookers - as if middle class people aren't doing their best to wreck the planet with their 4xwheel drives, they then stick one of these inefficient monstrosities in their country cottage. :evil:

also never saw the point in irons - if we all agree that wrinkled clothes are fashionable then we won't need them ever again.

Money - trading goods and skills is cool

digital radio / tv - fecking useless, can't listen/ watch it where i live unless you're dangling the aerial out of the window and as long as a car isn't driving past at the time...and it's a tremendous waste of energy just as we need to cut down.

illuminated advertisements - especially the ones that move. Grrrrrrr :evil:
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Worldwide market share for Macs? 10%.
    Number of viruses? 1, and it asked for a username and password before installing.

Worldwide market share for windows? 88%
    Number of viruses? Roughly 1 million.

Do you really think that people aren't trying to be the first to properly floor the Mac?

I'm not seeing your point, beyond scare mongering. If I bought a Mac today I take solace in knowing that there is less chance of it being attacked by a virus. I also would take solace in knowing that everything works.

I've had macs for years, I don't have virus scanners, and I don't need them. I was more responding to null's assertion that macs were secure, as nobody was bothering to attack them. I probably forgot to come across as a fanboy, but I don't really care if other people use windows. I just wouldn't want my kids browsing the net on a windows box.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Number of viruses? 1, and it asked for a username and password before installing.

Do you really think that people aren't trying to be the first to properly floor the Mac?

I'm not seeing your point, beyond scare mongering. If I bought a Mac today I take solace in knowing that there is less chance of it being attacked by a virus. I also would take solace in knowing that everything works.

I've had macs for years, I don't have virus scanners, and I don't need them. I was more responding to null's assertion that macs were secure, as nobody was bothering to attack them. I probably forgot to come across as a fanboy, but I don't really care if other people use windows. I just wouldn't want my kids browsing the net on a windows box.
    If everyone used Mac's, you'd need antivirus software.

Would you use Windows if that happened?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    Porgy wrote:
    Money - trading goods and skills is cool

So there would be no saving

No lending or borrowing

And what would you do if you wanted my goods but I didn't need your skills or services?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • And what would you do if you wanted my goods but I didn't need your skills or services?

Kill you and take them.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    And what would you do if you wanted my goods but I didn't need your skills or services?

Kill you and take them.

It did occur to me that Porgy's avatar did look a bit like the Yorkshire Ripper
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

If everyone used Mac's, you'd need antivirus software.

Would you use Windows if that happened?

Mac would probably make antivirus software that worked....
    Food Chain number = 4

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    So, what, anything people can use all the time is evil because it's not self-limiting? Right, that's TV, computers, cookers, landlines.... actually anything mains-powered out the window. In fact, let's make everything AA battery powered.

What about bikes? They don't even need batteries. You can use them whenever you feel like it. Get rid of them immediately. I wonder if we could convert them to AA batteries...

Noooo, not at all. All I meant was that in the case of the MP3 player, it is the fact that it can be (and is) used all the time that makes it evil. As for bikes, I find my own batteries make those self limiting :lol:
    Attica wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Honestly, ipod is evil. Just say no!
    So you are insistent on using the brand name then :wink:

Do you see what I mean - they've brainwashed me and I detest the whole company :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Actually, Agas are great - ours heats one whole end of the house due to an intelligent soul using heating pipes to conduct the hot air vent through radiators in a closed cycle before releasing it, thus preventing us having to use the oil-fired central-heating for that area.

Also, because it's always warm the (large) kitchen requires no heating, and it doesn't have to be pre-heated for anything. Despite the ridiculous cost of gas (we don't have mains), the aga costs us less to run than the electricity consumption difference when we took out the large electric fan assisted range we used to have, so it can't be that bad. Constant, yes, but a very slow burn.

In a warm climate, however, they'd be a nuisance.

However, celebrity magazines, yeah, they can go.
  • il_principe
    Porgy wrote:
    aga cookers - as if middle class people aren't doing their best to wreck the planet with their 4xwheel drives, they then stick one of these inefficient monstrosities in their country cottage. :evil:
    Actually, Agas are great .

+1 My folks have one, and two 4x4's, but then when you live and work in the countryside these things tend to be fairly necessary. Painting all aga using 4x4 owning people as middle class planet wreckers is just a little c0ckish.
  • Actually, Agas are great .

+1 My folks have one, and two 4x4's, but then when you live and work in the countryside these things tend to be fairly necessary. Painting all aga using 4x4 owning people as middle class planet wreckers is just a little c0ckish.

+ several. Believe it or not, some people actually need 4x4s.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    -null- wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Oh - and Celebrity Magazines, from Hello down the food chain. The use of trees to produce such sh17 is offensive beyond belief.
    +1000
    A few mates also concur, and they have seen it in shops where they show a spilt screen with the difference. The difference is, there is no difference. It is the Emperors New Clothes.
    I don't see much of a difference with the split screen in shops either but with something like football then it is obvious because the grass is so much clearer with HD.

The split screen demos in shops are BS- a decent SD source looks much better on my new TV (full HD 32") than they purport to show. On my setup (with fairly cheap but quality HDMI cables), SD (off air or via SCART from my PVR) look pretty good, upscaled DVDs look excellent (on BR or DVD player), as for Blu-Ray....wow. Any of my first few discs look fantastic. .With decent cabling and the TV set up correctly, there's a big difference over regular SD systems. BR's not hugely over upscaled DVD, which is more than passable, but significantly better nonetheless.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • suzyb
    edited January 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I don't get your post then as it seems to support my pov of there being less virus problems with macs because they have a lesser market share.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Mac would probably make antivirus software that worked....
    Except anti-virus software can only block viruses it is aware of so will always be one step behind the virus writers no matter who develops it.
  • il_principe

'xactly - try checking on the welfare of livestock in the snow in a fecking Prius. Or heating an old farmhouse in a gas free area with electricity...
  • Actually, Agas are great .

'xactly - try checking on the welfare of livestock in the snow in a fecking Prius. Or heating an old farmhouse in a gas free area with electricity...

We have a gas tank and the calorgas man comes and fills it! Gas fired aga = marginally cheaper apparently...
  • il_principe
    StuAff wrote:

The split screen demos in shops are BS- a decent SD source looks much better on my new TV (full HD 32") than they purport to show. On my setup (with fairly cheap but quality HDMI cables), SD (off air or via SCART from my PVR) look pretty good, upscaled DVDs look excellent (on BR or DVD player), as for Blu-Ray....wow. Any of my first few discs look fantastic. .With decent cabling and the TV set up correctly, there's a big difference over regular SD systems. BR's not hugely over upscaled DVD, which is more than passable, but significantly better nonetheless.

The quality of HDMI cable is a red herring. Digital signal doesn't degrade in the short journey from box to TV so there's no point in spending £££ on bling cabling, despite what the likes of IXOS would have you believe. Of course analogue cabling is a whole new argument...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,127

Yep - went to a funeral today & needed a lift of someone in a Range Rover as the Ferrari 550 we were in couldn't get up the slope to the wake :)
  • suzyb
    Actually, Agas are great - ours heats one whole end of the house due to an intelligent soul using heating pipes to conduct the hot air vent through radiators in a closed cycle before releasing it, thus preventing us having to use the oil-fired central-heating for that area.

Also, because it's always warm the (large) kitchen requires no heating, and it doesn't have to be pre-heated for anything. Despite the ridiculous cost of gas (we don't have mains), the aga costs us less to run than the electricity consumption difference when we took out the large electric fan assisted range we used to have, so it can't be that bad. Constant, yes, but a very slow burn.

I want an aga now. Our kitchen (and the back of the house in general) hovers between cold and freezing.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    SecretSam wrote:

oh, plus infinity times two million, and those who spend the day discussing them too :shock:
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Actually, Agas are great - ours heats one whole end of the house due to an intelligent soul using heating pipes to conduct the hot air vent through radiators in a closed cycle before releasing it, thus preventing us having to use the oil-fired central-heating for that area.

+1 to Agas being fab - my parents had one in their big old, draughty old house in Yorkshire and the only warm room was the kitchen and the family den which had a wall backing onto the Aga. They also give free laundry drying on racks above them. Now they live in SW France where an Aga would be insane given the summer temperatures, but how my mother still yearns for one.

+1 to celebrity mags as well.

Oh, an Lits, I will explain how 24 hour news channels will bring about the end of civilisation later. But it will.