Useless Things That will Hasten the Demise of Civilisation

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited January 2010
    Waddlie wrote:
    It's not the actual iPhones I hate, it's the people that own them. And if you dare to suggest you don't want one, they think you're jealous! They need D-locking, the lot of them. Charlie Brooker had it about right:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/aug/10/charlie-brooker-iphone

Wise words from Charlie Brooker there - and only Apple could make the mere sound of a harmless 3 letter abbreviation intensely irritating. Hear this Apple - it is an application; that's a-p-p-l-i-c-a-t-i-o-n. You don't have to use the twee abbreviation ALL the time. No, really you don't. Besides, who are you advertising to? Surely all the tiresome Apple heads have already got a bloody app filled i-phone. The rest of us don't give an i-shite.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Have you never heard of open software ?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Nope you can't have all alcohol. But I'll give you alcopops and anything made by Tennants, or Devonshire Monks. And rum. I don't like rum.
    No sorry no Tennants either. Father would be lost without his lager. Really as a man how could you hate any company that had semi naked women adorning the cans.
    Rolf F wrote:
    And the evil empire of Microsoft please

But then this forum would vanish :lol:
    Probably not although most people wouldn't be able to view it.

Forum uses php so more than likely not using a server running an MS OS.
  • rolf_f
    Have you never heard of open software ?

Yes but most people haven't.........
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Yes finally, a thread about things that will Hasten the Demise of Civilisation that hasn't mentioned:
    :twisted: Lord Mandleson :twisted:
    :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Satnav.

Ohhh man.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    DesWeller wrote:
    Satnav.

Ohhh man.

+EleventyOne. Can't stand the things.
    Rules are for fools.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Rolf F wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:
    It's not the actual iPhones I hate, it's the people that own them. And if you dare to suggest you don't want one, they think you're jealous! They need D-locking, the lot of them. Charlie Brooker had it about right:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/aug/10/charlie-brooker-iphone

Wise words from Charlie Brooker there - and only Apple could make the mere sound of a harmless 3 letter abbreviation intensely irritating. Hear this Apple - it is an application; that's a-p-p-l-i-c-a-t-i-o-n. You don't have to use the twee abbreviation ALL the time. No, really you don't. Besides, who are you advertising to? Surely all the tiresome Apple heads have already got a bloody app filled i-phone. The rest of us don't give an i-shite.

I might be one of those 'tiresome Apple heads' (currently typing this on one of my two Macs, the fourth and fifth I have owned), but I do not have an iPhone. I might buy one (or a competing product if it does everything I want) at some point, but I'm in no rush. Yup, some of the naming conventions Apple adopts are a pain, the inability/unwillingness to address certain deficiencies in hardware & software.....and Windows isn't that bad (running 7 RC on my Mac Pro). But I prefer OS X anyway. And I can run Linux too if I want. Microsoft is as bad as Apple for stupid foibles. All those versions of Vista and 7, that bloody User Access Control....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Greg66 wrote:
    The fecking internet. And specifically discussion forums.
    Ah, but by 2020, someone will no doubt have invented a method of turning the energy expended by people posting on internet forums into a means of powering the world.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    thel33ter wrote:
    Yes finally, a thread about things that will Hasten the Demise of Civilisation that hasn't mentioned:
    :twisted: Lord Mandleson :twisted:
    :lol:

Spawn of the Devil - although he does ride a Brompton :wink:
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    The only point of those stretchy long dog leads that i can fathom is to allow the animal to excrete on our garden whilst affording the owner the luxury of not committing trespass.
    Why not just let their pet roam free?
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    4x4s that can't even go offroad - particularly BMW X5s and Volvo XC90s (the car of choice of the Caversham Yummy Mummy - no doubt so that their inability to reverse will damage others more than them)

Supermarket packaging +lots

Ready-peeled vegetables and fruit. Microwave-ready mashed potatoes, fer feck's sake what's difficult about making mashed spuds ?

Oh, and the Daily Mail :evil:
    Misguided Idealist
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    FaceBook. Without that maybe my wife would learn where abouts the iron is....
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • bikey2009
    bikey2009 Posts: 121
    Health and Safety legistlation.

working at height assesments for working on a 12 inch high platform...........

courses for using a ladder............

assessing the angle of your computer screen and chair................

postmen/women using tight letter boxes.................

no wonder we are being told not to go out in the snow!!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    bikey2009 wrote:

It's political correctness gone mad, Stu
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cambs wrote:
    The only point of those stretchy long dog leads that i can fathom is to allow the animal to excrete on our garden whilst affording the owner the luxury of not committing trespass.
    Why not just let their pet roam free?

+multiples of many!

If you can't train your dog to obey, an extendible lead doesn't mean you're in control, it just means your untrained dog can't escape even though you have no control over the yapper. (I learned this on cycle paths)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    bikey2009 wrote:

Yeah, caught the news today about one of the few primary schools that was open. But because of health and safety the kids weren't allowed out at break time.

Playing in the snow never did us any harm, snowball fights, making slides, building snowmen. We survived all of those "dangerous" activities. Yet now the poor kids already missing out because they have to go to school miss out on the little fun they'd have at break because the H&S executive says it's too dangerous.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    bikey2009 wrote:

I think you'll be needing one of these:

http://www.ocsmedia.net/subscribe.aspx?title_code=ML
    Rules are for fools.
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    bikey2009 wrote:

This was made for you...not one for work though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LQXskmQWIg
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    The auto-cancel on the indicators on my car.

They always cancel the indicators when I don't want them to, and don't cancel them when I do!

I used to take them off my old cars, but modern cars are too complicated for me :-(

Whilst we are at it the trend for starting the wash je on a windscreen to strt the wipers going.

The best combination I had of wash/wipers was a VW Beetle, where the wash was powered pneumatically from the spare tyre, you could actually control how the water went.

exactly. you squirt to see if your washer fluid has unfrozen; it hasn't ...so the wipers scratch the icy windscreen 6 times anyway.....grrrr
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Rolf F wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:
    I'd also uninvent iPhones.

Can you please uninvent the entire awful Apple corporation while you are at it, taaa :D

And the evil empire of Microsoft please

Wthout these - Apple and Microsoft, we would be having this debate on parchments, delivered bt courier pigeon, my a whole page would take a month and a few dozen pigeons!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Powerballs.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    My car has an automatic rear vision mirror, it has a light sensor and dims itself to stop you being dazzled by headlights behind you. Very useful indeed.

My Girlfriend's car has this too, just one of the many fantastic features of our blue VW Bora 1.9TDi Sport with the FOR SALE sign in the window........ :D
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Sadly I have neither the time nor inclination to track back through five pages of this trivial dross.

However, has anyone suggested that the downfall of civilisation could actually be caused by the Bike Radar Commuting General forum?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,682
    Here's the most useless thing ever seen...

[url]4252181563[/url]
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,682
    Grrrr..Perhaps I'm the most useless... how do you post an inline pic here???

Here's the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46121102@N05/4252181563/
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • The thread about the CO2 cartridges got me thinking.
    What gadgets, things, inventions have we got that are useless or a waste of space or that we should really live without.

What should we uninvent, I dont mean the obvious things like bombs, guns etc. What modern gadgets are just pants.

I start with:

Travelators - escalators I get, but not on the flat!
    Running machines - get outside (same with turbo trainers)
    Patio heaters - just so wrong

what would we do without bombs and guns when we have crazy lunatics like Hitler and other crazy nuts from around the world ready to push the red button - we would be up sh!ts creek without a paddle!!!! the more bombs, guns and weapons we have the least likely we are to be screwed by other countries - as they say - peace through greater firepower.

If guns were not invented we would just go to war with swords, and old skool weapons like vats of burning oil. Okay, if bombs were uninvnted we could just be creative or imporvise and use portable chemical toilets instead after a canning at Glastonbury festivaand chuck othem out pf the plane over enemy grounds! Wahaay!
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Attica wrote:
    electric can openers
    most electric gadgets in a car (seat adjustment, wing mirrors, sunroof)
    electric bicycles (so popular now in China that obesity is rapidly becoming a problem)
    and of course
    electric salt and pepper mills

I have both an e-bike and e-pepper mill...yes the e-bike is a bit of a waste of space now that I have harry but the e-pepper mill???...Mines made by porsche or someone and its great..I would urge everyone to go to TK Maxx and buy one :)

91651k.jpg
  • rolf_f
    All of the above are minor, trivial irritations. The truly worst thing ever to have been invented is....

The iPOD. If I had a choice of uninventing the A bomb or the iPOD, I'd probably uninvent the iPOD. At least there are arguable benefits from the A Bomb. The iPOD has made public transport intolerable and turned most of the population into witless zombies doomed never to have a flash of inspiration and invent something great because their ability to think will have long since been lost. I daren't think how many genuinely great ideas have already not been thought of because people aren't thinking anymore. The zombie of the future won't be the undead - just the iPOD addict!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Grrrr..Perhaps I'm the most useless... how do you post an inline pic here???

Here's the link

4252181563_eaef11fc2b.jpg

Go to the flickr page, right click on the photo and select the properties, then copy and paste the url from that
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"