Useless Things That will Hasten the Demise of Civilisation

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Sorry, I do think gadgets on cars are helpful, as they allow you concentrate on driving. So I'm all for automatic dipping mirrors, heated seats, remote steering wheel controls - yes, even rain sensors, which are something I miss now that I don't have them... I just don't like the wipers going unnecessarily, and as rain rarely falls steadily, one is constantly adjusting the interval setting. Same goes for automatic lights, as it is possible to forget if you're driving in London and your instrument panel is always illuminated.

I think most of those gadgets do just the opposite to allowing you to concentrate on driving - I think they help you to concentrate on nothing which is the last thing you want. Most cars have a stupid amount of electrical gadgetry - eg electric seats; only of any use if different people regularly drive the car and the seats have programmeable memory - not so common. Windscreen wipers that wipe 6 times when all you want is a squirt of water and a couple of wipes. On the subject of wipers, the Dodge Charger I drove in USA and Canada a few months back had 10 speed settings for the wipers :shock:

Cruise control is good but only if combined with an auto box - and in the UK I don't want that.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Patio heaters :roll:
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Car lock de-icers nicely packaged to be kept in the glovebox. :roll:

Seriously!

I got one for my Christmas a few years ago :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    Leaf blowers. Particularly the two stroke ones used by the contractors at my work to blow things around outside my window. The noise is excruciating, the stink of partly burned fuel gets everywhere and what a waste of energy. What's wrong with a broom or a rake? Or why not just let the leaves stay where they fall?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Tumble driers.
    Microwave ovens.
    Baaaah!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Freedom of speech :|
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Simon Cowell

+several gazillion :D:lol::D

add to that all forms of reality TV
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • What and what?

Seriously, you should all go hang out with the Amish and see how that goes for you.

All of these things are good for someone, or they wouldn't exist at all. Somebody's buying them or using them.

The only thing I agree with is the silly overpackaged fruit - especially things like pre-sliced apple pieces in a plastic pot. Buy an apple, you muppets.

EDIT: Cori, m'dear, I agree with you on a lot of things but you're really going to have to walk me through on how having 24h and web news is endangering democracy and government.

EDIT 2: My car has an automatic rear vision mirror, it has a light sensor and dims itself to stop you being dazzled by headlights behind you. Very useful indeed.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Supermarket packaging
    Supermarkets
    Satellite TV pouring its owners propaganda into homes 24 hours a day
    International corporations that think they're above the law
    Reality TV
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Tumble driers.!

I don't fancy putting stuff out on the line in this weather :shock:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The auto-cancel on the indicators on my car.

They always cancel the indicators when I don't want them to, and don't cancel them when I do!

I used to take them off my old cars, but modern cars are too complicated for me :-(
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • starseven
    starseven Posts: 112
    Auto dimming rearview mirrors should be standard fit on all cars, fantastic idea.

I would get rid of the colours pink and purple.
  • ITV
    foglights
    Ant and Dec
    Riser bars
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    ickle tiny tubs with ickle tiny portions of milk

why?

what's wrong with a jug?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    DesWeller wrote:
    The auto-cancel on the indicators on my car.

They always cancel the indicators when I don't want them to, and don't cancel them when I do!

I used to take them off my old cars, but modern cars are too complicated for me :-(

Whilst we are at it the trend for starting the wash je on a windscreen to strt the wipers going.

The best combination I had of wash/wipers was a VW Beetle, where the wash was powered pneumatically from the spare tyre, you could actually control how the water went.
  • iain_j
    Reality TV
    TV channels that exist purely for old repeats of repeats
    Helmets :twisted: :lol:
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Has anyone mentioned bicycle indicators yet?
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Possibly not in the true spirit of the thread, but if I could uninvent something it would be alcohol and any other substance which has the potential to alter someone's mood.

Don't get me wrong, I like a drink and occasional smoke, but the damage done to society by drink and drugs makes me want to weep.

I'd also uninvent iPhones.
    Rules are for fools.
  • rolf_f
    Waddlie wrote:

Can you please uninvent the entire awful Apple corporation while you are at it, taaa :D
  • any other substance which has the potential to alter someone's mood.

All food, then?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Waddlie wrote:
    Possibly not in the true spirit of the thread, but if I could uninvent something it would be alcohol and any other substance which has the potential to alter someone's mood.
    Nope you can't have all alcohol. But I'll give you alcopops and anything made by Tennants, or Devonshire Monks. And rum. I don't like rum.

Was that a deliberate pun, by the way?

I like puns.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Rolf F wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:

Can you please uninvent the entire awful Apple corporation while you are at it, taaa :D

And the evil empire of Microsoft please
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Nope you can't have all alcohol. But I'll give you alcopops and anything made by Tennants, or Devonshire Monks. And rum. I don't like rum.

I'm just imagining going to a pub and the landlord saying "Nope you can't have all alcohol. But I'll give you alcopops and anything made by Tennants, or Devonshire Monks. And rum. I don't like rum."

The bar from hell.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Segway?

Sinclair C5?

I don't know I've seen people riding the segway it's funny as...
    there was a tour in italy using them :lol:
    In Austin there were americans using them and I saw a hire shop, nearly pi$$ed myself laughing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • waddlie
    Rolf F wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:

It's not the actual iPhones I hate, it's the people that own them. And if you dare to suggest you don't want one, they think you're jealous! They need D-locking, the lot of them. Charlie Brooker had it about right:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/aug/10/charlie-brooker-iphone
    Rules are for fools.
  • iain_j
    Ingenious use of a segway at the Manchester Track World Cup last Oct/Nov. During the first half-lap of the match sprints, when they're riding slow and doing the cat-and-mouse stuff, cameraman followed alongside on a segway :D
  • waddlie
    Waddlie wrote:

Was that a deliberate pun, by the way?

I like puns.

You're so punny!
    Rules are for fools.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:

And the evil empire of Microsoft please

But then this forum would vanish :lol: