Thread to tell everyone what bargains you've spotted!

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    gbsahne wrote:
    I thought it had to be on sale at the higher level for a number of weeks before they could then put it in the sale with the higher price.

If not I think they're committing fraud.

I think that's true but maybe they had it on sale at £20+ when it 1st came out but the price has definitely risen since Monday since I ordered it and it's still displayed as 20% off...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I just spent $100 at Jenson USA, all on stuff reduced by more than half price (Eggbeater Candy SL pedals for $35!). Even with VAT added on at the border, they have some amazing clearance deals right now.
  • ...not really one for the commuters, but if you've got a copy of Leisure Lakes latest catalogue, page 19 has the Yeti 303 DH complete bike listed at £400.00, should be £4k!

Bargain!!!!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    WesternWay wrote:
    http://www.nakedwines.com/rnb_6free_email_oct2010?utm_source=Naked+Wines+RNBs&utm_campaign=8047b88132-rnb_2A_6free_29oct201010_26_2010&utm_medium=email

Not terrribly bike related, but six bottles of wines for £16 delivered seems reasonable. I have no idea (yet) about the quality but some pals suggest that naked wines do some nice stuff.

Purchased Tuesday, arrived today :-)
    I suppose I should really taste it and see what it's like...
    Misguided Idealist
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    theblender wrote:
    ...not really one for the commuters, but if you've got a copy of Leisure Lakes latest catalogue, page 19 has the Yeti 303 DH complete bike listed at £400.00, should be £4k!

Bargain!!!!

Phoned them, they don't sell the complete bike (or at least there doesn't seem to be a product code). I'd have taken a punt at that price :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Just got a couple of the cheap Knogg Frog rip-offs through the post that I ordered last week from China via eBay. Cost me £1.89 delivered and they are amazingly bright for the money - very impressed. I couldn't buy the batteries cheaper than that. - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

I've used them as additional flashing helmet lights, but they're massively versatile and bright enough to be put on any part of your bike.

Sorry for the crap phone pics:

DSC00371.jpg

DSC00372.jpg

They didn't come with clips so I just used some small cable ties - job's a gooden!
    FCN 2 to 8
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    the two sticking out bits appear to be the clips, but cable tie looks much more secure
  • Mr Plum
    edited October 2010
    rhann wrote:
    the two sticking out bits appear to be the clips, but cable tie looks much more secure

Yeah I'm not totally sure what the sticking out bits are but they're definitely not clips. The eBay image shows a small clip but mine didn't come with them. To be honest, I couldn't even buy the batteries for £1.89, and considering how good these actually are, I can't really complain. You're right though, the cable ties are really secure, just think I might look like a bit of a twat when using this helmet in the day now :P :

P1010464.jpg
    FCN 2 to 8
  • UpTheWall
    UpTheWall Posts: 207
    Better than a fool that is not seen in the dark!
  • Mr Plum
    True!

PS - I'm still working out the language filter :P
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Crud Road Racer MK2 mudguards are on 'The Woolly Hat Shop' website for £21.99 (rrp £30). Best price I've seen yet :D
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Crud Road Racer MK2 mudguards are on 'The Woolly Hat Shop' website for £21.99 (rrp £30). Best price I've seen yet :D

Parkers are cheaper :lol:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Would be better if you had the option of 2x red, 2x white or 1 of each. Still cheap though.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Mr Plum
    redvee wrote:
    Would be better if you had the option of 2x red, 2x white or 1 of each. Still cheap though.

You could have 2 of each for £3.78 :wink:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    redvee wrote:
    Crud Road Racer MK2 mudguards are on 'The Woolly Hat Shop' website for £21.99 (rrp £30). Best price I've seen yet :D

Parkers are cheaper :lol:
    Mr Plum wrote:

got to put p&p on top of that
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    hatbeard wrote:
    Just bagged a real billy bargain... Garmin Forerunner 305 for £98 delivered from amazon (super saver shipping)

remember voucher expires 31st oct!

I don't run but my wife started running a year or so ago and is now running 10Ks and 1/2 marathons, don't know anything about these but she's raved about someone she runs with and their Garmin - unfortunately I don't know the model - is this a good one - reviews seem good.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Mr Plum wrote:
    redvee wrote:

You could have 2 of each for £3.78 :wink:

Done
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Not the latest and greatest, but it ticks all the main boxes (GPS, heart rate, foot pod). Close cousin to the Edge 305 bike computer, I believe they're fully sensor compatible tho whether the data will be available from the front panel I'm not sure. Just got an Edge 500 for the bike (Team Edition with all the bits, 150 quid on fleabay :D) , thinking about trading my Polar running HRM in for an FR305.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    the general consensus on the 305 forerunner is that it's a little chunky but in terms of price vs features vs usability it's generally your best bet.

of the rest of the forerunner range I'll probably only ever thing of upgrading in the future to a 310xt but that's only if I get serious about doing triathlons as it's fully waterproof so you can use it on the swim stage as well but for now for all my running/cycling needs this has it pretty much covered (assuming I get the addition speed/cadence sensor for my bike which I will do).

if you were only focusing on cycling and not intending to use it for running then the edge series offers more cycling specific features and would be your best bet but they are also generally more expensive.

for someone who runs the forerunner is a good choice for not much money.
    Hat + Beard
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Three of us go running and use the FR305, FR405 and FR310xt respectively.

I use the 310xt purely because I do triathlons and I need the waterproofability for me weekend sojourns to the lake. Other than that it offers no real benefit over the others.

Mrs A uses the FR405, and she chose it because of it's size and energy saving mode which means that it can be worn as an everyday watch.

Mate bought the 305 when it first came out and it's a great piece if kit offering great value for money. It is older tech though and so it's bigger and doesn't lock onto the gps signal as quickly and is a lot bigger.

Not that if you do get one you'll become a slave to numbers; garmin connect is a hard task master.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Used to have the very basic Forerunner 101, but have just got the 305 added to my Christmas list at this price!

Here's a ridiculously in-depth and favourable review...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • LOVE my Edge 500. Could have gotten a used 705 for not much more, but I felt it was a bit too computer-y and I don't need or even want all the turn-by-turn stuff (have Google Maps on my phone for emergencies anyway). Biking for me is time away from computers - the 500 doesn't feel any more tech-y than a stop watch, but it records everything for later.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    wulfhound wrote:
    LOVE my Edge 500. Could have gotten a used 705 for not much more, but I felt it was a bit too computer-y and I don't need or even want all the turn-by-turn stuff (have Google Maps on my phone for emergencies anyway). Biking for me is time away from computers - the 500 doesn't feel any more tech-y than a stop watch, but it records everything for later.
    +1

Just wish I understood workouts so I could take full advantage of that feature.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Thanks everyone re the Garmin opinions, wife now seems to like the 101 as a woman she runs with has one and likes it as it's not too big. Similar price on Amazon although the 101 I think is the older model so 305 would be a better deal.
    <edit : it's the 110 not 101 - Amazon offer the Womans model at £136 which is a bit more than the 305> We're going to the USA in December/Jan so might see if a better deal is available there.
  • new forum member here.

I've wanted either a brooks swift or swallow for my allez for some time.

Eventually ended up getting one from Evans. RRP is 90 sheets, using the 15% evans code SKYRIDE, and going through quidco it turned out at just under £75.00. It's the cheapest around by far.

I've justified it to myself as the straightline depreciation over 30 years will mean its basically free. Or something like that.

Also for those who ride bromptons Evans are doing inners for just over a couple of quid using the discount code above. Useful to stock up on but do so no later than tonight as that's when the code expires.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,062
    @Greg66

Thought of you straight away matey :lol:

25% off

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/offers/over-60s/
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Crud Road Racer MK2 mudguards are on 'The Woolly Hat Shop' website for £21.99 (rrp £30). Best price I've seen yet :D

And reduced to £20.99 if one orders three sets. Good'un.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Is Handtec still the cheapest place to buy the Garmin 705? They currently seem to list it as £232.50 or something. Is anywhere else cheaper at the moment?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    biondino wrote:
    I just spent $100 at Jenson USA, all on stuff reduced by more than half price (Eggbeater Candy SL pedals for $35!). Even with VAT added on at the border, they have some amazing clearance deals right now.

And I didn't even get charged VAT, result!