London Calling

Comments

• kinggareth wrote:
    Cheers Danny for the brief ride i managed, and showing me the slippiest trail on pitch hill! Sorry i couldn't stay longer, but it'd be good to ride again soon.

As promised BDJ, here's some of the pics i took:

The first drop

IMG_0151_zpsadbe6032.jpg
    IMG_0152_zps71c4f79f.jpg

Where is this?
    I found it once, bottled it, and have never located it again since. Really really wanna give it a go.

Great shots, great riding.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Along to the right from viewpoint on Pitch if you're looking south. Past Wedgie if you know that (big ass rooty drop near the top).

Practice drops, still looking for nice ones I can session though Surface 2 Air at Aston Hill looks suitable.

Otherwise I've just been messing about on smaller stuff where I can find them. The jump area on Newlands Corner had some nice basic stuff easy to session.
  • Thanks for the directions but unfortunately they mean nothing to me. I dont even know where, or which hill Pitch hill is?! Surrey Hills is like Middle Earth to me, massive and mysterious and easy to get lost in.
    One day on a group ride i will get my bearings. I can only locate BKB area myself without trouble.

Drops on S2A are so so easy. If you ignore Rampage Drop and The Stairs that is, they are both quite challenging. The rest flow like the whole trail is designed too. It dosent even feel like you are getting air on them. Its only when you look back up the trail do they look impressive (cos off the vert) other wise they 'feel' like riding off a kerb.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • arigold
    arigold Posts: 175
    Having just watched couple videos for aston...I'm mad for trying it out sometime...guessing its not fun getting there via train?
  • arigold
    From Guildford 2h 2m with 1 change...screw that!

Might have to beg someone here or on fb to take next time
  • kinggareth wrote:
    Cheers Danny for the brief ride i managed, and showing me the slippiest trail on pitch hill! Sorry i couldn't stay longer, but it'd be good to ride again soon.

As promised BDJ, here's some of the pics i took:

The first drop

IMG_0151_zpsadbe6032.jpg
    IMG_0152_zps71c4f79f.jpg
    IMG_0153_zps843ae5ea.jpg

A nearby gap jump

IMG_0184_zps61d5dbe5.jpg
    IMG_0185_zps342b677d.jpg
    IMG_0186_zps1c12cab9.jpg
    IMG_0187_zpscd2a32db.jpg

Although I was sadly useless at riding, and my seatpost had broken, i was at least useful for taking some action shots :)

Thanks so much Gareth! Great shots mate :) It's amazing how a good photographer can polish a turd... I almost look like I know what I'm doing! Good riding with you, sorry you didn't get to ride some of the other more mellow trails but I have to say you did well and next time maybe we'll start on something a bit more chilled out. Keep checking here though if you want to join rides because the group are all very friendly, good riders and have great knowledge of the trails around Surrey Hills and Swinley (and probably elsewhere but those are the main locations).

Ps these are going straight up on Facebook!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Except those of us who are rude and grumpy.
    If you come on a ride I'm on I'll show you the chilled ways, without heroics. Because I am also a big coward.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • arigold
    Anyone riding this weekend? I might try out holmbury and leith hill
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    Definitely hitting up Surrey Hills in some fashion, not sure where exactly yet. Saturday morning seems likely for a time though, so far.
  • arigold wrote:
    Anyone riding this weekend? I might try out holmbury and leith hill

Aston Hill on Sunday.
  • cooldad
    Anyone up for some snowy weekend rides?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • milko9000
    almost certainly on Sunday, don't think I'll be able to tomorrow. Up for wherever, if it turns out to be a good idea to do these Minley/Caeser's Camp things I've been hearing about.
  • cooldad
    I might be stuck with Swinley. I only just made it up my driveway earlier - I might be able to roll out, but no way am I getting back in again, so will need to be within riding distance.
    Good thing I stopped off on the way home to stock up on bacons.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yeah the roads were pretty jammed up today, probably going to stick local this weekend too. Have the snow tyres on and ready.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    Let me know, I've got no plans so should be able to fit in.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Late notice, but looking at a wander around Leith or thereabouts. Meeting in Westcott at 11.30ish by the bus shelter opposite Nirvana Cycles (RH4 3NH), if you can find somewhere to park.

Tomorrow there may be another Surrey Hill ride, depending on what's accessible. Though could be up for Minley/Caesars/Tunnel Hill (the latter I can ride to if need be). Though the stuff is melting slightly in Woking and sure I saw drizzle. Main roads are all clear.
  • cooldad
    Probably heading up to Swinley around 12.30/1 ish. Unless I am overome by laziness.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    SandyHill doing a ride from Caesars Frencham Ponds. Start opposite Caltex? (red) garage at GU10 5AA. 10am. Saturday.
    I have some bits to do but will try and make it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Is it still snowy out in Swinley Forest? Thought it would have cleared out by now but sounds like there's still a fair bit there going on the comments above...
  • benpinnick
    Big thaw here last night. Most snow has gone. I suspect the forest will be mostly clear now with the odd patch.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    Yeah and it poured with rain. We had the worst thick gloopy grindy nasty mud ever out Farnham way today.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Great ride yesterday, despite the serious amount of mud and frustrating slush. Really appreciate a long ride as I don't do enough of them at the moment. Too many short rides mucking about shredding gnar :D (which is fun though).

Good company, and nice stops on the way with a pleasant coffee/cake shop half way and the golf shop cafe at the end with some nice grub. Good to get out to Frensham too as only been out there on foot and wanted to check it out on the bike some day.
  • milko9000
    Ended up dropping my Shan into Howard (too much trouble with the chainline, have decided to let an expert finish it off) so went for an explore in Holmbury and Leith. Was plenty snow still around there!
  • I find myself unexpectedly free for a Sunday ride this weekend. And having been for a quick ride around Holmbury Hill it's surprisingly dry up there now - didn't get to see Pitch but I assume that'll be lagging behind. Maybe a Holmbury/Leith ride? Or would be up for this Ceaser's Camp/Minley stuff I've heard tell of.
  • cooldad
    With any luck. Thel33ter is working and I have to play taxi but hopefully we can work the times - just waiting for them to be confirmed.
    But Caesars is more likely, probably won't have the time for SH.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    Might be up for a Sunday run out.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • arigold
    I might be up for it...whats the meeting spot for caesars camp?
  • arigold
    I might of remembered...opposite Esso garage near Farnham?
  • cooldad
    Some random garage yes, but everytime I think I remember which one I get corrected, so it's a Shelesstexabp.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Sounds like it's probably a Murco or a Jet then.

Weather for Sunday looks cats & dogs may be involved. Hmph.