OT - Is there an All Powerful entity out there?

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Rich158 wrote:
    You're all barking up the wrong tree, Pastafarianism and the Church of the Flying Spagheti monster is where it at.

Now come over to the global warming thread and I'll explain why the decline in pirates is responsible for climate change

+1
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    but ddd he had a son in the new ish superman film?
    Also superman must have control over his powers or every time he picks up a glass he would just crush it if you no what i mean?

i think the question is would he retain that control while having an orgasm!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Also superman must have control over his powers or every time he picks up a glass he would just crush it if you no what i mean?

Comic book nerd rule:

Films are not canonical and therefore cannot be considered as to have impact on the character or fictional world of which it was based. If it was, all us comic book nerd would have a breakdown form a cult and probably would try and take over the World using superweapons and pretend super-powers.

But to entertain. Superman is an alien, Kryptonian to be exact. There should be no way on a genetic level that he could have breed with Louis Lane, given that they are two different species.

Assuming he has sperm, they are likely to be as super strong and dense as he is and would most likely be to her egg the equivalent of a rifle bullet to a mango...

Then there is the initial involuntary 'firing of the payload mechanism' that men have that he would have no control. Given Superman is super strong again I'm thinking rifle. Ref. Hancock movie.

True he has got incredible muscle control to function on Earth, but in the heat of the moment men in general tend not to maintain said control.... For Superman that would be fatal.

He could have used a Kryptonite condom, but as Brody said in Mallrats. "That would kill him".
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Porgy
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Comic book nerd rule:

Films are not canonical and therefore cannot be considered as to have impact on the character or fictional world of which it was based. If it was, all us comic book nerd would have a breakdown form a cult and probably would try and take over the World using superweapons and pretend super-powers.

But to entertain. Superman is an alien, Kryptonian to be exact. There should be no way on a genetic level that he could have breed with Louis Lane, given that they are two different species.

Assuming he has sperm, they are likely to be as super strong and dense as he is and would most likely be to her egg the equivalent of a rifle bullet to a mango...

Then there is the initial involuntary 'firing of the payload mechanism' that men have that he would have no control. Given Superman is super strong again I'm thinking rifle. Ref. Hancock movie.

True he has got incredible muscle control to function on Earth, but in the heat of the moment men in general tend not to maintain said control.... For Superman that would be fatal.

He could have used a Kryptonite condom, but as Brody said in Mallrats. "That would kill him".

wot i said 8)
  • I reckon so porgy hes superman.
    Hahaha ddd ur a legend!
    Merry crimbo everybodyxx
    ps there is no god its a silly idear
    oh yeah ddd who is ur favorite comic book character?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
      Religion/God Faith Higher-being

Different things in my eyes....
    I don't have much time for religion, but I will read it, study it and question it with interest. I do believe in something greater than myself. I do have faith. What I do believe is the beauty of life, choice, freedom, freewill and the conscious and subconscious mind. I think those things are divine.

The DonDaddyD 1.10

Thanks DDD. Much of what I wanted to say but just didn't have time.

I don't necessarily agree with free will mind you. Just don't understand how it can sit with determinism.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    King Donut wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
      Religion/God Faith Higher-being

Different things in my eyes....
    I don't have much time for religion, but I will read it, study it and question it with interest. I do believe in something greater than myself. I do have faith. What I do believe is the beauty of life, choice, freedom, freewill and the conscious and subconscious mind. I think those things are divine.

The DonDaddyD 1.10

Thanks DDD. Much of what I wanted to say but just didn't have time.

I don't necessarily agree with Free Willy mind you. Just don't understand how it can sit with determinism.

What? You would rather keep that Orca in a big swimming pool?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited December 2009
    I reckon so porgy hes superman.
    Hahaha ddd ur a legend!
    Merry crimbo everybodyxx
    ps there is no god its a silly idear
    oh yeah ddd who is ur favorite comic book character?

This guy:

thanos001pic1.gif
    Thanos
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't have much time for religion, but I will read it, study it and question it with interest. I do believe in something greater than myself. I do have faith.

Yes, have faith, but have faith in yourself and in others, things that are tangible. That's my view.

My immediate thought is that I don't see the difference between being a good, church going person and being a good, well meaning person. Ultimately, it's about good to other people. I don't need to believe in a higher being, God, whatever, to do that. Perhaps religion is a crutch for some people.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • "Is there an All Powerful entity out there? "

You haven't met my missus have you .......
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • King Donut wrote:
    The fact that we can have a concept of an omnipotent being proves that one exists.

Along with the easter Bunny, Santa Claus and honest politicians.

Those are just other concepts, which is not enough to prove their existence.

It's the perfection of omnipotence and the perfection of necessary existence that ensures an omnipotent "something" exists.

It's fairly basic ontological argument for the existence of God and lots of people have argued for it better than I ever will. TBH I don't know if I agree with it, but I think it's good to question.
  • Porgy
    King Donut wrote:
    King Donut wrote:
    The fact that we can have a concept of an omnipotent being proves that one exists.

It's the perfection of omnipotence and the perfection of necessary existence that ensures an omnipotent "something" exists.

It's fairly basic ontological argument for the existence of God and lots of people have argued for it better than I ever will. TBH I don't know if I agree with it, but I think it's good to question.

In logical terms it doesn't work - it is a tautlogy - I analysed it once for A level homework. got an A too.

If I feel up to it later I might put up an argument.

there is another argument against it put up by Douglas Adams in Hitchhikers - soemthing like if there was proof that god ever existed then he could not exist as proof of god means you can no longer have faith - so god can;t be perfect - therfore he doesn't exist. Maybe someone else can state it better than me, my brains are scrambled today. :?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Porgy wrote:
    King Donut wrote:
    King Donut wrote:

In logical terms it doesn't work - it is a tautlogy - I analysed it once for A level homework. got an A too.

If I feel up to it later I might put up an argument.

there is another argument against it put up by Douglas Adams in Hitchhikers - soemthing like if there was proof that god ever existed then he could not exist as proof of god means you can no longer have faith - so god can;t be perfect - therfore he doesn't exist. Maybe someone else can state it better than me, my brains are scrambled today. :?
    Oh, that was easy, says Man and goes on to prove that black equals white and promptly gets run over on the next zebra crossing...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • The Ancient tribal leaders didn't have CCTV to keep distant peasants working diligently in the fields and not nicking the crop so came up with this big invisible force of vengeful power that only they could communicate with. Thou shalt not steal or shag about because those things affect me and cause all sorts of logistical problems when we need to be one cohesive unit to have a scrap with the village next door.

the notion of God is just an early method of crowd control. bring him back today he'd be called Gatso.
  • Porgy
    God = Santa, but for grown-ups :P
  • Porgy wrote:
    God = Santa, but for grown-ups :P

I see Zimbabwe is on the very naughty list again then :wink:
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Believe in God or higher being .....nope, not a f*$$£g chance and don't get me started on Religion, I can think what I want without some chiorboy-fiddling priest telling me how to lead my life. :evil:

Richard Dawkins fan here :arrow: http://richarddawkins.net/
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,006
    34 voters don't believe in the existence of God.

Uncharacteristc serious moment

Has this position ever been seriously challenged and were you still a non believer?

Ever watched a relative die, been called to the hospital having got a phonecall that your pregnant wife was having stomach pains and been rushed away in an ambulance, called to the hospital because an infant child had stopped breathing, layed awake in the middle of the night wondering if that lump is cancer?

I had a typical Irish Catholic upbringing (without Flasheart cliches) and have no truck with organised religion and would doubt the the existance of God.

But there are moments when I'm not so sure.

I vote maybe.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,006
    Why could I not have been the first to reply to the thread?

I would have went with
    Yes. Want do you want? I'm busy!

L'esprit de l'escalier - dontcha hate it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Porgy
    I have had some quite dark moments over the years - including serious health scares - and friends that have died. Not once has this made me think there's a god. Not on any level.
  • I spent most of my life not caring. Then I went through a rough time. For some reason or other I read one of the gospels. Then I prayed. Then something weird and good happened. It kind of changed everything for me. I'm very aware there's a difference between religion and faith, I'm still frequently a plonker, and I certainly don't have all the answers, but I think something important and generous happened about 2000 years ago. So my answer's a yes.

Happy Christmas all,
    t
    I've forgotten my PIN for the pain barrier.
  • Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • imagine this man a believes in god man b believes in science generations of man a believe in god n are happy as larry because they feel that they r superior and protected or just comforted. Generations of man b are either atheists who laf (rightly or wrongly) at man a because he believes in something he cant prove, equally man b cant prove it either.

This goes on till god is proved then the world lives happily ever after an god gets some shit for being there in last million years blah blah.
    Or god is disproved but man a still thinks that he is real and so believes, man b can now laf at man a because he is wrong.

And u know wot god will never be proved or disproved in our lifetimes or ever ( Que universe theories, paradoxes n other stuff that wud give an aspirin a head ache)

The point, who cares if it happens or doesn't, believe wot u will but do it in peace cuz frankly i don't care.

(Personally i reckon that god was an invention of people who cud not find his attributes in them selves, people who had no belief and wanted a way to express their lack of understanding and guilt that they felt because they had been a prick last wednesday etc.And thus having a figure to blame shit on was quite good, also try explaining simple phenomenon without modern science, thats my 2p)
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    clanton wrote:
    "Religion is the opiate of the masses."

Opiate of the dumbasses, more like...
    Rules are for fools.
  • Porgy
    Waddlie wrote:
    clanton wrote:
    "Religion is the opiate of the masses."

Opiate of the dumbasses, more like...

I tried very hard not to laugh at that, honest.

:lol:
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278

Has this position ever been seriously challenged and were you still a non believer?

Ever watched a relative die, been called to the hospital having got a phonecall that your pregnant wife was having stomach pains and been rushed away in an ambulance

1. Both Parents within 3 months of each other (11 years ago)
    2.1st son - stillborn (22 years ago)

So yes.
    Never believed then, don't believe now
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

Ever watched a relative die, been called to the hospital having got a phonecall that your pregnant wife was having stomach pains and been rushed away in an ambulance, called to the hospital because an infant child had stopped breathing, layed awake in the middle of the night wondering if that lump is cancer?

i'm not sure that i understand what you mean. i wouldn't have said that these events challenge my position (athiest). they happen to believers and non believers alike. i guess if the lump disappeared through the power of prayer i might have to rethink!

I had a typical Irish Catholic upbringing (without Flasheart cliches) and have no truck with organised religion and would doubt the the existance of God.

now, believing in a higher being is one thing - but organised religion is another. It's just a social construct, with all sorts of reasons to exist, good and bad inputs and outputs, people within it who want the power - just like with any institution i might add - and a need to justify itself to its "members". Many people superficially attach themselves to a religion, but i often wonder how many of them properly buy in to what it offers, when really, they just have a spiritual belief in a higher being, and a decent moral framework - both of which could still exist without it having a label.
  • joshtp/mbukman
    Um just wondering what makes you belive in god? i mean like y do u belive in god, what makes u sure? im intrested
  • I watched my dad die with cancer in the most horrible way possible as his body gradually shut down. To see such a fit marathon runner reduced to a vegetative state in a matter of weeks is the most painful thing that has ever happened to me.

He was a good person who always put others first - he didn't deserve to die in the manner that he did.

Why on earth would that make me believe in a loving god?

Plus, as I asked my 6 year old after she got a brainwashing from school - ask the vicar why are there no dinosaurs in the bible?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Plus, as I asked my 6 year old after she got a brainwashing from school - ask the vicar why are there no dinosaurs in the bible?

That's a good one. I'd forgotten that one.

(Btw, that's not to demean the first part of your post. For similar reasons, I feel the same way.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."