OT - Is there an All Powerful entity out there?

Comments

• cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    bails87 wrote:
    King Donut wrote:
    The fact that we can have a concept of an omnipotent being proves that one exists.

"If you can imagine it, it can happen"

Is that the tagline from a Disney film?! :twisted:

Clap your hands if you believe in fairies!

I did and Gareth Thomas appeared :oops:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    King Donut wrote:
    Other than this it's right up there with the Tooth Fairy and Santa.

You're confusing God with religion

It's the dyslexic insomnia, I lie awake wondering if there is a Dog

Beware of the God? :shock:
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Epicurus

think that about covers it.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Epicurus

WRONG!
    god is both willing and able, however, he resists, not forever, mind, but for a time, destroying all chalangers, without explanation might cause some questions to be raised among his followers, so he allows saten to rule for a while, see what he can do, and we can all see that he has made a hash of it, the world is in an awful state. but soon god will step in, say "ok, enough is enough, youv had a shot, and you mucked up, now its my turn...."
    thats what i believe...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Bikerbaboon

Epicurus

WRONG!
    god is both willing and able, however, he resists, not forever, mind, but for a time, destroying all chalangers, without explanation might cause some questions to be raised among his followers, so he allows saten to rule for a while, see what he can do, and we can all see that he has made a hash of it, the world is in an awful state. but soon god will step in, say "ok, enough is enough, youv had a shot, and you mucked up, now its my turn...."
    thats what i believe...

so hes not willing. I could do the washing up now but im just waiting till later to do it... Im not willing to do the washing up.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

Epicurus

WRONG!
    thats what i believe...

I thought God was all knowing, so he doesn't need to "wait and see", because he knows before it happens.

As someone said though, that's religion, not God/ a 'being'.

Oh, and if you don't mind me asking, why are you a Jehovah's witness? Anything to do with your parents/family?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Santa is Satan :twisted:
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    all powerful entity, isn't that the UCI?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    "Religion is the opiate of the masses."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    spen666 wrote:
    all powerful entity, isn't that the UCI?
    I'm sure Chris mentioned LA earlier. Oops, I just did too. Better not mention Him a third time: bad things may happen... like being blocked from his tweets ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Porgy
    One of my favourite songs about god:

God Is In The House, Nick Cave

We've laid the cables and the wires
    We've split the wood and stoked
    the fires
    We've lit our town so there is no
    Place for crime to hide
    Our little church is painted white
    And in the safety of the night
    We all go quiet as a mouse
    For the word is out
    God is in the house
    God is in the house
    God is in the house
    No cause for worry now
    God is in the house

Moral sneaks in the White House
    Computer geeks in the school house
    Drug freaks in the crack house
    We don't have that stuff here
    We have a tiny little Force
    But we need them of course
    For the kittens in the trees
    And at night we are on our knees
    As quiet as a mouse
    For God is in the house
    God is in the house
    God is in the house
    And no one's left in doubt
    God is in the house

Homos roaming the streets in packs
    Queer bashers with tyre-jacks
    Lesbian counter-attacks
    That stuff is for the big cities
    Our town is very pretty
    We have a pretty little square
    We have a woman for a mayor
    Our policy is firm but fair
    Now that God is in the house
    God is in the house
    God is in the house
    Any day now He'll come out
    God is in the house

Well-meaning little therapists
    Goose-stepping twelve-stepping Tetotalitarianists
    The tipsy, the reeling and the drop down pissed
    We got no time for that stuff here
    Zero crime and no fear
    We've bred all our kittens white
    So you can see them in the night
    And at night we're on our knees
    As quiet as a mouse
    Since the word got out
    From the North down to the South
    For no-one's left in doubt
    There's no fear about
    If we all hold hands and very quietly shout
    Hallelujah
    God is in the house
    God is in the house
    Oh I wish He would come out
    God is in the house
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    cee wrote:
    I dont know about an all powerful being, or a man with a beard etc, but i do believe in something bigger than us. Quite what that is, I do not know.

Nikolai Valuev?

lol....

nah....he was replaced by David Haye not so long ago
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
      Religion/God Faith Higher-being

Different things in my eyes.

Religion is a man-made concept born out of any number of possible rationales. Perhaps it was all real like in StarGate? :wink:

I have little time for Religion and religious text and teachings. It is tool used by Man to help justify actions and manipulate an outcome. Want to test me on this - Most African's weren't Christians/Catholic until slavery forced the religion upon them.

Faith, is simply belief irrespective of whether that is within a God, a religion, fate or a Universal concept encompassing all things. Yes what they believe in can become harmful - see above - when forced upon another. However, I don't believe that having faith should extend beyond the individual "I don't require you to believe in what I believe in". Like in Final Fantasy X

Higher-being a tangible God. How do we define higher-being's? If anyone of us went back 4000years, with the knowledge and understanding of technology we have then wouldn't we be seen as a higher-being? The more megalomaniac amongst, would want to be worshipped as a God.

Equally, 10million years from now wouldn't humans (if the species still thrives) be seen as a higher-being compared to us? Consider that they'd be further along the evolutionary table with possible 'powers', like StarGate?:wink:

There is a huge difference between higher-being/God, religion and believing in something truly divine.

Example: At 14 my friend of the same age told me he had cancer. I asked him what he was going to do. He replied, "nothing, all I can do is have faith". It wasn't about religion or God it was merely a belief in something greater than himself. At that point I understood it all, why people needed religion, why they worship so passionately. My friends words his faith felt, in all honesty, divine in its simplicity.

I don't have much time for religion, but I will read it, study it and question it with interest. I do believe in something greater than myself. I do have faith. What I do believe is the beauty of life, choice, freedom, freewill and the conscious and subconscious mind. I think those things are divine.

The DonDaddyD 1.10
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    You're all barking up the wrong tree, Pastafarianism and the Church of the Flying Spagheti monster is where it at.

Now come over to the global warming thread and I'll explain why the decline in pirates is responsible for climate change
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Bikerbaboon
    Rich158 wrote:

Now come over to the global warming thread and I'll explain why the decline in pirates is responsible for climate change

Why are pirates responcible for Climate change........ they just arghhh :oops:

ill get me coat
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    I'm expecting all the climate change yes voters to go for Agnostic option 3.

Just in case.

:P

Sorry to disappoint you, it's a very clear no for me.
  • DonDaddyD
    If Superman was real I wouldn't worship him. He can't get laid and therefore I believe myself to be luckier than him.

Now Galactus, there's a guy that should be worshipped. Older than the Universe Galactus lived in the Universe that predated this one at the time of its Big Crunch. He was reborn at the time of our Universe's Big Bang as a Universal function. He eats life filled planets for some higher purpose that my mortal mind cannot be bothered to recollect.

In fact you all should read Supergod.

http://www.avatarpress.com/titles/supergod/

Best explanation of Man, God and our need to worship that I've ever read.

Wouldn't it be cool if civilisation ended and the surviving humans 100,000 years from now had nothing to go on but a comic book as their religion.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    God - Wrong thread!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Porgy
    Aguila wrote:
    I'm expecting all the climate change yes voters to go for Agnostic option 3.

Just in case.

:P

Sorry to disappoint you, it's a very clear no for me.

It's 'no' for me too really - apart from the slim possiblity of vastly superior aliens attacking us - or killing us all by accident.

More likely we'll wipe ourselves out though.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Has anyone mentioned the flying spaghetti monster yet?

http://www.venganza.org/

Bless his noodley appendages

Anyway.. there are 'higher' being in the universe I'm sure, but on all mighty one, I doubt that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • y cant superman get laid
  • Porgy
    y cant superman get laid

He's too super!
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    edited December 2009
    I'm going for option 3, after all this universe could have been created by something like Multivac

Here's a link to the story by Asimov, The Last Question
  • Porgy
    our universe is probably one of God's bogeys
  • King Donut wrote:
    The fact that we can have a concept of an omnipotent being proves that one exists.

Along with the easter Bunny, Santa Claus and honest politicians.
    John Stevenson
  • DonDaddyD
    y cant superman get laid

Super strength and super dense.

I'm not going to go into too much detail, but unless he sleeps with a woman of comparative physical prowess, he's likely not going to feel anything and if he gets into it he could kill her.

Ever watch Hancock... (that name has never been so funny)
    Food Chain number = 4

• Porgy
    think of the potential damage from Supersperm?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    y cant superman get laid

Super strength and super dense.

I'm not going to go into too much detail

You don't need to, Larry Niven's done it for you:

http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html
    John Stevenson
  • but ddd he had a son in the new ish superman film?
    Also superman must have control over his powers or every time he picks up a glass he would just crush it if you no what i mean?