Who's planning to ride to work tomorrow?

Comments

• rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    itboffin wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    If it's too snowy to ride in, it'll be too snowy for any other form of transport to be feasible.

Ah! but the train very rarely slips over smacking it body + head on the road

esp if it's wearing a helmet :roll:

ah, aahh - but last time I got on a train I walked into an open door splitting my brow open (claret everywhere) - I'm beginning to wonder if the "helmets for peds" argument is quite so facetious after all .
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I;m planning for it to snow all night :wink:
    Whilst I did enjoy riding home 20 miles in the snow tonight, doing so for a half day on friday has limted appeal
  • I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Think I'll take the prettier route, which will add a couple of miles but means I go through my local country park. Can't say that I'm keen to be around cars in the morning though.
    Trek Top Fuel 9 2010, Stumpy Pro 2009 ,Giant XTC3 2009, Qu-ax Penny Farthing,
    Elswick Hopper Model M delivery Bike 1960

God Shave The Queen!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Just looked out my living room window and the snow has settled a bit. It looks very pretty but I hope it's gone by the morning as I'll be using PT due to social engagements in the afternoon and the evening where liquor will be in evidence :)

Cross-country race on Saturday on Wimbledon Common will be fun if the snow settles :? :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    davis wrote:
    No chance.

Rode in this morning and binned the bike twice... Slick-ish tyres and icy rural rodes just don't mix!

I'm going to just GTFD (opposite of MTFU) and hide in a metal box :-(

I can recommend vast amounts of gin to dull the pain....

and the voices
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    itboffin wrote:
    I can recommend vast amounts of gin to dull the pain....

and the voices

Some way ahead of you; pleasantly refreshed by the calming powers of Real Ale (tm)... Yet the voices continue...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I will, but I also don't have anyother way of getting into work. 5 miles each way so not too bad. Usually takes about 20 mins. Might take longer tomorrow I think.

Only small problems I can see are that it's supposed to be -3, I have a steep hill to go down, a main road, slick 23c tyres and my helmet is still in Norwich (keep it clean... :roll: )

I'll just keep thinking of how fit I'm getting (while freezing off my :!: ).

Full brake lock for me tonight on three big descents then halfway down thinking to myself "if your locking the rear wheel, then surely that's worst than bombing downhill" arghhhh no wait slow down arghhhh oh crap what should I do, arghhh!

Stopped twice to look at the road to check the ice, just to be sure. :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Mountain bike to work rather than the Road bike tmrw me thinks... 10 miles Cardiff - Newport up the A48 (A not M) anyone else do that route??
    tmacsigcopy.jpg
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm conceding, my dead end road is a quater mile long, it'll be frozen all the way then I can only guess what greater London looks like from there :(
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Made it in without incident, :)

Not very snowy here mind, but was super cold esp with headwind.
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Wheeeee! My ride home after a night shift was fun - slick tyres and part snowy, part ice made the cycle paths interesting. I'm not too proud to say I walked some of the downhill bits, but I did ride the rest
  • Made it in OK, South Norwood - Euston via Streatham/Brixton/E&C.
    Very carefully road bike down my road to start with and only skid once but once I was on the main roads it was just like a wet day! Took it easy for first couple of miles as it was on quieter residential roads so they wheren't as de-iced as the main ones.

Once I joined the A23 it was pretty much plain sailing, even managed to engage in some SCR between Brixton and Kennington Lane :-D Can also report that the Endura Storm (?, the £30 waterproof model, next up from the Dexter) are superb value for money! Can't vouch for the waterproofness yet but I did arrive at work with toasty and even slightly sweaty hands this morning :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Wimped put of my 19 miler and drove in today, glad I did as I think the country lanes on my commute would have been pretty much unrideable on a road bike. Guess I could have done it on the MTB but would have been slow going and not fun over that distance. Still feel gutted though, missing the bike already :-)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Yeah in the car today again, the wife told me to :oops:

Back on the bike monday for the proper cold though!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    that wasn't too bad... Crouch End to Regents Park, only wiped out once at the bottom of my road where there hadn't been any gritting done and there was a sheet of ice all the way across the road. looking forward to the ride home already!
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Not exactly fun but it was a great workout.
  • Rode in to Cambridge - eight miles on a road bike with 23C tyres - very exciting.
    First part, down the riverbank on virgin snow was fantastic fun, but when it got into the city the roads were just sheet ice, luckily there aren't any hills around or it would have been impossible. My back and upper body is really aching now, I guess I was using a lot more muscles than I normally do to balance. Ride home tonight will be interesting.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Did not swap wheel set last night (slicks to knobblies) on my hybrid, so had to get a lift to station.

Had a go before hand but the roads where I live had not been gritted: managed about 50 yards this morning before giving up.

I will do the swap tomorrow if the weather persists... so that I can actually go and do some shopping.

Studded tyres would be nice, but way too expensive to be used a handful of times. Then again, this weather might persist for longer than expected this year, at which point they could be a wise investment in safety.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    The commute in Cambridge was fun.

Was quite slippy on slicks (saw a mtbiker stack...), but the worst was the cars an inch from my slipping rear wheel...

Off putting.

Didn't stack, but commute took double the time..

Walked on the sheet ice bits. Figured that was more sensible than trying to man up and stacking hard with a laptop on my back...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • @teagar - I had a few drivers who could have done with exercising a bit more patience but also had one who didn't just swing into my lane to avoid the right turning car in his :-) Needless to say he got a thumbs up whearas the twunt in the (surprise surprise) Addison Lee MPV who insisted on leaving me a couple of inches of room twice (Either that or 2 poor drivers from the same company which is quite likely!) got the finger.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Mm. -3degC, ungritted roads, perfect thaw/freeze conditions this morning.

Took the bus.

Time to get the mtb out for next week I think.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Snow showers this morning - lot of ice about - put the nobblies back on the bike last night - bl**dy freezing NE wind fortunately behind me on the way in but will have to face it on the way home - surpisingly waved on by WVM at a junction :shock:
  • Meant to use the bike but foiled by a couple of punctures. Gave up and logged on from home as I had my lap top with me.

But seems like I'm not working as hard as I could be ... :lol:
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,952
    That was cracking fun, glad I took the mountain bike though instead of the Carrera.

Very invigorating :-)

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • It's great to see I'm not the only one. I prepped with knobblies on the mountain bike. The worst of it was the road outside my front door.
    Blackheath had fresh snow.
    Only problem was knowing where the path/grass edge was. Made it in safely but was hard work.
    good luck everyone this afternoon! :lol:
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • Only fell off once, at the lights by the exit to the railway station car park. Got helped up and told I was stupid to be riding in this weather......
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Only fell off once, at the lights by the exit to the railway station car park. Got helped up and told I was stupid to be riding in this weather......

Great logic there, so your stupid for piloting 10-15Kg of bike around but people driving cars in the same conditions are presumably sane?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I would have had no problem cycling in today, but for the fact that I made decision not to bring bike in today due to xmas drinks tonight. Reckon I may not be in a fit state to cycle home. Especially if it ices up late tonight.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I biked in today - 44.6 miles total, no incidents appart from a puncture on the way home (and grinding to a halt in axle deep snowdrifts occasionally. )
  • will3 wrote:
    I biked in today - 44.6 miles total, no incidents appart from a puncture on the way home (and grinding to a halt in axle deep snowdrifts occasionally. )

Chapeu! 8)