robert millar

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996

I'm not really fussed by replica jerseys .

shocking

this is how the rot starts

Quite the opposite, you've missed the context. He means he doesn't mind 'us' wearing them if we want to.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    If this thread continues much longer there'll be no point in Robert writing a book :wink:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    daviesee wrote:
    It's been said before but I will say it again......

Best thread anywhere, ever!

Well done that man :P

Are you sure? Would you not prefer to discuss toilet stops in Oman? :D

A George or a Michael might prefer that, but not for me thanks :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Aggieboy wrote:

shocking

Quite the opposite, you've missed the context. He means he doesn't mind 'us' wearing them if we want to.

I rest my case
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy wrote:

shocking

I rest my case

OK, I take it back. I missed the context of your point. :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Gotheteeshirt2, have you still got your Ducati 916 or has your weapon of choice changed as you've, *cough*, 'matured'? (me? flogged my Blade, bought a Buell Lightning :shock: )
  • ynyswen24 wrote:
    Is there a Haynes Manual on climbing and descending to be wrtitten?

I think there could be something in Rouleur soon about climbing :wink: but I don't think it'll quite be written in the manner of a Haynes manual .
    Funnily enough I was consulting one of their excellent publications just the other day as I needed to know where to find the mixture screws on a Mikuni carb . Three turns out from fully in apparently .

Glad to hear that, glad I subscribe :D (note NapD...subscribe).

I trust that whatever form it takes that it'll have step by step photographs of how to put ourselves back together after following your advice (paraphrase - you don't hurt less if you're a climber - you just hurt faster).
    The most use of a Haynes manual I ever made was how to stop the heat exchangers on a VW Beetle giving you carbon monoxide poisoning when you turn the hater on - and there was nothing on how to fit a bike in the back seat...
  • I think there could be something in Rouleur soon about climbing :wink: but I don't think it'll quite be written in the manner of a Haynes manual .

Remember Robert, no 'effing and 'jeffing...Rouleur is a family publication...
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Hi Robert...i read your book last year whilst on holiday with my ex bird, who incidentally read your book :shock: I loved the fact that you hated working and spent hours skiving when you were at weirs pumps (just down the road from me) How ironic i thought, that i should be sacked from my job for skiving off to ride my bike in the trossachs on a scorching summers day (the boss saw me!!)

Oh, how i laughed. You were riding the the TOUR and i was a skinny 18 year old working for Barrs Irn Bru. Jeezus....how i used to fly over the dukes and the braes of greenock on my steel gitane, feeling like a tour rider!! :lol:
  • canadian
    canadian Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    edited.. sorry, was good book, and I did also really enjoy it. I guess I was trying to say it would be tough if you didn't feel like being in the limelight, or wanted to step back from celebrity life, to have a book, not by your account written about you. Certainly, Moore did a great job, and Millars greatness shone through. I take it back, I did sound quippy, not intended. Great thread.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    canadian wrote:
    Okay, if you really read the book, you would know it wasn't Millars book

You're pushing the mark on pedantry here are you not? It may not be Robert's book but surely you know what he meant - the book about him.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • canadian
    canadian Posts: 3
    British Cycling has finially inducted a small group into the hall of fame. Congrats Robert. You deserve probably to be in a smaller select group. All the same, it's a great honour, it must feel great.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    I'd be surprised if Robert gave a damn what BC thought of him
    so many cols,so little time!
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Thankyou everyone for a thoroughly enjoyable thread, one of the best i think. I have always been a keen observer of Robert's cycling career in as much as the style in which he persued it.
    Ii had the lucky experience of meeting a group of cyclists on a climb somewhere inland from Denia (Benidorm) in the latter 90's and rode to the top with them, one of which was Robert! We parted company at the top and never saw the group again, however a little way down the descent in a small layby area was Miguel Indurain with his family. They were waiting for the peloton climbing up this side, that years Tour of Valencia. I got a handshake with Mr Indurain and a picture taken with him. What a great day!!

I always enjoyed the story about Robert regarding the Creme Caramel ha ha. Thanks for getting me hooked on cycling :)
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Indurain had a place outside Benidorm in Finnistrat (spelling??). My mates sunbathed on the beach and I rode my bike. I saw him twice in his last few weeks as a Pro as he had abandoned the Vuelta. He gave me the cursory whistle as he passed which Jez Hunt says is his way of getting your attention. I had a mate with me the second time in case I was seeing things.
    Good spotting territory for pros out in the hills around Benidorm.
    Almost at the end of the Robert Mllar book. Being a pro sounds good but the reality is somewhat different.
    Any chance fo a comeback a la Malcom Elliott style?? :wink:

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Robert, I just wanted to say thankyou (again) for getting me interested in cycling when you were riding. With Team Sky bringing new fans into the sport, I've spent several lunch breaks telling a few of them all about you.

I've even lent one of them 'the book'- he lived quite close to where you grew up, and is fascinated.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Robert Millars got another article in the nest issue (no 18) of Rouleur, should be interesting. It's titles 'Climberspeak'.

I usually find it difficult to speak when climbing...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Anyone who read Issue 13 will know that means a quality article is on it's way! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • itisaboutthebike
    itisaboutthebike Posts: 1,120
    Robert - you're the reason I'm riding a bike. Wasn't the reason I started, but it was brilliant watching you in the Tour. Very inspiring. I'm RM every time I ride up the Alpe !

But I'm still pissed off you didn't give me your autograph after you came out the bogs at the stage start in the '91 Tour at Bourg !
  • johny c
    johny c Posts: 256
    nae luck, I'bike,

Here's a picture from the '92 tour, taken by my friend Neil at the start of the stage from Blois to Nanterre
    RobertMillarBlois92.jpg

Neil and his daughter were at a feeding station later in the stage, where he saw Robert stop and place his cap on a little lad's head. He saw the boy in his hotel later at dinner, still wearing it.
    Johny
  • Aggieboy
    For those that may be interested................

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16462379#16462379
  • Bit of a bump (admittedly)

Linky to an archived '85 beeb interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/17592709
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Remember watching this at Lunchtime between school periods :D

Barbara Dickson should stick to singing as host she`s cringeworthy. - You can see Robert squirming at the questions and to be honest it`s one of his better interviews.

Met him at Tony Doyle`s training camp in majorca in 96 and got talking to him after he heard me swearing Glaswegian style after getting 2 punctures within 3 miles of each other...very witty and down to earth. I hope he still turning the pedals...Thanks for getting me into Cycling Robert in the early 80s.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Barbara Dickson should stick to singing as host she`s cringeworthy. - You can see Robert squirming at the questions and to be honest it`s one of his better interviews.

Met him at Tony Doyle`s training camp in majorca in 96 and got talking to him after he heard me swearing Glaswegian style after getting 2 punctures within 3 miles of each other...very witty and down to earth. I hope he still turning the pedals...Thanks for getting me into Cycling Robert in the early 80s.

am same as you Gazetta67. Dabbled in cycling through 1983 but by Autum/winter was heading to the newsagent every Thursday to buy Cycling (now cycling weekly) and by 1984 and Millar's biggest TDF successes, was out cycling more and more. The idea that someone from Glasgow could do that and did same Trossachs roads as me was pretty amazing to me as a 14 year old for whatever reason. Am sure there are possibly thousands of my demographic who, like me, are also still grateful to Robert Millar for inspiring them into bike racing in mid 1980s
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

am same as you Gazetta67. Dabbled in cycling through 1983 but by Autum/winter was heading to the newsagent every Thursday to buy Cycling (now cycling weekly) and by 1984 and Millar's biggest TDF successes, was out cycling more and more. The idea that someone from Glasgow could do that and did same Trossachs roads as me was pretty amazing to me as a 14 year old for whatever reason. Am sure there are possibly thousands of my demographic who, like me, are also still grateful to Robert Millar for inspiring them into bike racing in mid 1980s

Its interesting you mention all of that - I wonder if the big riders are ever aware of just much they inspired and brought pleasure to kids. When they meet folks now they are generally grown ups who have resigned themselves to never riding the TDF but as a kid - every golden opportunity is open, and every hero a brief glimpse of what you could be. I remember me and my mates pretending to be Eddie Merckx when, looking back, we werent even aware of his achievements - same with Millar - actually stopping to watch him on the very brief highlights and getting the bike out next day and he was british. Happy days indeed.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Its interesting you mention all of that - I wonder if the big riders are ever aware of just much they inspired and brought pleasure to kids. When they meet folks now they are generally grown ups who have resigned themselves to never riding the TDF but as a kid - every golden opportunity is open, and every hero a brief glimpse of what you could be. I remember me and my mates pretending to be Eddie Merckx when, looking back, we werent even aware of his achievements - same with Millar - actually stopping to watch him on the very brief highlights and getting the bike out next day and he was british. Happy days indeed.

yes, you're right. The chances of a youngster getting into cycling are quite slim really. You either have to have a family member who is already big into bike racing or some great role model on TV esp from your own neck of the woods who's on World of Sport winning at biggest races in the world....got me hooked and hardly missed a day on the bike in 10 years and have hardly gone a day in over 25 years without checking cycling race results or reading something. Definitely a great sport to get into
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

yes, you're right. The chances of a youngster getting into cycling are quite slim really. You either have to have a family member who is already big into bike racing or some great role model on TV esp from your own neck of the woods who's on World of Sport winning at biggest races in the world....got me hooked and hardly missed a day on the bike in 10 years and have hardly gone a day in over 25 years without checking cycling race results or reading something. Definitely a great sport to get into

It`s good to see in a seperate video on the same BBC Scotland link Billy Bilsland getting the recognition for helping Robert on the right path and gettiing him set up in France...As a 14 year old at the time i was totally nuts about Cycling and seeing Millars polka dot jersey in Bilslands shop in the trongate in Glasgow was a total inspiration like you dave i bought Cycling mag in 82 and i was hooked and to actually watch a guy from the tenements (flats) :D fly up the pyrenees the following year was magic even tho we only had 4 x 20mins World of Sport in July. Happy Days indeed
  • dave_1
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

It`s good to see in a seperate video on the same BBC Scotland link Billy Bilsland getting the recognition for helping Robert on the right path and gettiing him set up in France...As a 14 year old at the time i was totally nuts about Cycling and seeing Millars polka dot jersey in Bilslands shop in the trongate in Glasgow was a total inspiration like you dave i bought Cycling mag in 82 and i was hooked and to actually watch a guy from the tenements (flats) :D fly up the pyrenees the following year was magic even tho we only had 4 x 20mins World of Sport in July. Happy Days indeed

yes, we're same era Gazetta67,good memories indeed, sum exactly my memories of RM too there....actually I queued in George square to get this poor quality shaky pic signed by Robert... took the pic with a cheap camera and had to jump back myself or possibly I was shaking with excitement as Millar was climbing Col DuAubesqiue in 1985 TDF. The second pic was Lac De Vassiviere TT at 1985 TDF. I have 10 other excellent pics of the TT
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I'm a wee little bit older, and I've never raced, but through all those dreich, wet, cold commutes over decades, Robert was/is my hero.

Oddly enough, he's the only climber I've looked up to, always preferred the sprinters. I suppose it was his Glasgow accent.
  • I liked him beacuse he was a difficult, awkward sod. Just like me! :D