robert millar

14567810»

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    If any proof is needed how widespread EPo was by 1993,Robert Millar provides some very good insight.

At the last Tour de France I rode, a quick poll of my friends and colleagues in the peloton revealed that EPO was available to everyone regardless of the team budget or ambition.

and

Laurent Fignon called epoh the new Super (French for high octane fuel) and those willing to supply and administer it.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert ... re-minimum
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Nail, head!

Thank you Robert, well written and well reasoned
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • That's an excellent piece, as usual, from Robert Millar. He explains the UCI's true role in all of this. These are the issues that Pat McQuaid should be addressing and apologising for. Those at the top of the UCI are corrupted by their political ambitions (in the sporting world) and are more interested in getting a seat on the IOC's gravy train than honestly admitting their mistakes of the past and approaching the future in a humble and honest manner and laying out a transparent route to a cleaner sport.

It is somebody like Robert Millar who should be in charge at the UCI, not the political yes-men currently there. Sadly, I'm sure Robert is not interested in that role and the "system" in place at the UCI would buckle under his honesty and integrity.

DD.
  • A good piece from Millar, but if he was aware of the use of EPO, why didn't he speak up at the time? More Omerta.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    No-one likes a grass Adam.
  • No-one likes a grass Adam.

Least of all Mcquid...............
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    He struggled just to maintain his career so voicing his concerns then would prob. have ended his career. Good article (again).
    M.Rushton
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Here is Robert Millar's latest blog from Cycling News. The eighth paragraph is very interesting.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar

DD.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Here is Robert Millar's latest blog from Cycling News. The eighth paragraph is very interesting.

DD.

Pre-empting a confession?
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    oneof1982 wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Whatever it is, it won't be the stuttering, mumbling pile of bullsh!t that Jalabert tried to feed to everyone.

DD.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    oneof1982 wrote:

DD.

I thought so too, to the extent I was genuinely surprised that it didn't follow.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546
    I'd say that was his confession. What's he's got to do now is dot the Ts and cross the Is.

Beautifully written as per usual.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    I'm not sure the timing of this article is any better than the timing being criticised in the article.
  • Very interesting...
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    oneof1982 wrote:

DD.

It certainly reads that way. It seems that cyclists of that generation are more comfortable about talking about doping pasts. One of the benefits post LA I think.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    oneof1982 wrote:

DD.

It certainly reads that way. It seems that cyclists of that generation are more comfortable about talking about doping pasts. One of the benefits post LA I think.

Beans will be spilled. I for one will not be buying another book of cycling memoirs which ends every chapter with "and then very tired after a long stage we all went straight to bed".
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    I'm not so sure it will be a confession, i read it more that he's gonna be baling the runnings going on around him at the time, if you dig me 8)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I guess it's been on the cards for a while, though the peak of Millar's career was before the EPO watershed (which makes pretty much everything else seem like dabbling).

I'll have to do my best not to become one of the hypocrites that use doping to bash the riders they dislike but ignore it in those they love. It'll be hard though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It's possible to read it as someone lamenting that they didn't finger the enablers at the time or since, it's not inevitably leading to a confession. But you have to think hard to avoid the obvious conclusion :(
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I don't think it was intended to be a confession, just a slightly muddled way of saying he intended to explain when/what/who was offered/pressured to him.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Macaloon wrote:
    It's possible to read it as someone lamenting that they didn't finger the enablers at the time or since, it's not inevitably leading to a confession. But you have to think hard to avoid the obvious conclusion :(

While it doesn't say "I doped" it also doesn't say "I didn't dope". Which is a lot easier to write. The mere fact that it's ambiguous annuls its ambiguity. You'd have to perform miracles of bad faith to convince yourself it doesn't mean what you know it means. And no doubt some will try.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format