robert millar

Comments

• ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    :lol::lol::lol:
    What women want?
    Christ only knows.
    Funny you should mention westerns-what women definitely don't want is to listen to me banging on about Robert Millar posting on the forum-I tried this last time out with a girl.
    Cue sound of tumbleweed rolling across the dinner table.
    They don't know what they're missing.
    1 Perhaps you go out with the wrong girls!
    2. Why not ask what we want instead of assuming?
    :?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    johnfinch wrote:
    Hmmm, ok, I see your point. Cheating to pursue enjoyment and cheating to pursue money, same thing in the end I guess.

The major difference is that one is competitive, one isn't. If I go to a nightclub, somebody else taking a pill does not really affect my enjoyment of the evening, whereas if I ever got into the pro-peloton (ha!) and somebody else doped, it would affect me negatively.

And to ask a question on a completely different subject, what's the best bike you've ever ridden?

I dont think many bike riders compete to be rich , it would be easier to be a banker , the rewards are better and you get compensation when they discover you aren't good enough . You cant race at pro level and not love cycle racing otherwise you wouldn't last five minutes . The amount of money you are earning is the last thing on your mind when you are lined out in a wet Belgian gutter sucking up all kinds of crap from that newly manured field you are passing , there's no amount of money which makes that situation and similar ones enjoyable .It only looks shiny and glamorous at the start of a race .
    You are right cheating in pro cycling only affects the people directly involved with the teams and the only way that will change is with a different atitude towards the issue .As long as it's treated like some kind of professional foul then it'll exist .

Going back to your example of the nightclub , you might not think that the person taking that pill next to you will affect your night out but it could . There's a supply change involved there and that's a competition where people get hurt, maybe killed , and for every customer who wants an E there'll be another who wants something a bit harder . The kind of person who will happily break into your house and steal your tele in order to keep that habit going .
    Life's issues are never as simple as they seem .

The bike I most enjoyed racing ?................the titanium LeMond's we used at Z .

Yes, I know the terrible effects of the drug trade. I was only referring to the direct effects on me, rather than the indirect effect. When I was a bit younger a 5 year-old was shot dead just around the corner from me in a dispute over cannabis dealing, so I'd never advocate anyone buying from a dealer, and certainly don't think that using EPO is any worse than, saying, somebody buying a line of coke.

Just checked out the picture of the titanium LeMond. Looks nice. And with the cloth cap on, you definitely look a lot cooler than cyclists today who have to wear helmets at all times. 8)

I hope you had a happy Christmas, and whatever you're up to now, best wishes for 2010.
  • 1.Perhaps you're right, but I don't know that until I at least go, talk and find that out.
    Everybody deserves a chance to tell their story and hear another.
    2.I assume nothing, in fairness-I do have a few ideals I'd hope for though.

As Mark Twain said,'Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.'
    Spesh Works Roubaix '10
    28 Charolais and counting.
  • finchy
    Ms Tree wrote:

Asking a woman what she wants is the worst mistake a man can ever make (well, OK, he could run over her pet cat, but you know what I mean.)
  • ms_tree
    johnfinch wrote:
    Ms Tree wrote:

Asking a woman what she wants is the worst mistake a man can ever make (well, OK, he could run over her pet cat, but you know what I mean.)
    If you ran over my pet cat you would have nails in your tyres and be talking in a high-pitched voice. :twisted:
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • finchy
    Ms Tree wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Ms Tree wrote:

If you ran over my pet cat you would have nails in your tyres and be talking in a high-pitched voice. :twisted:

Don't worry I love cats.
  • Ms Tree wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    andyrr wrote:

I'll need to go off and watch The High Life (on VHS) now - great wee film,.

Speaking of which... any chance of this ever being released on DVD? I saw it on Youtube but it's not the same.

www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/shop

or telephone 020 8726 8403, it's £18.99 :)

Oooh, nice. I had no idea it had come out on DVD. £19 is a bit steep though :shock:
    You should have done what I did AFX and asked Santa for it! He obliged :DSanta Baby !!

Just got round to watching The High Life myself.
    Good little documentary.
    Although Peiper comes across as being a tad whiney.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Peiper is one of the highlights of that documentary for me. I wouldn't say he was whiney in it. He was just talking about the problems in the Peugeot Team at that time.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • dulldave wrote:
    Peiper is one of the highlights of that documentary for me. I wouldn't say he was whiney in it. He was just talking about the problems in the Peugeot Team at that time.

On reflection, it was a poor choice of words on my part.
    Put it down to the surprise of seeing Joey McLoughlin in it along with his mooted move to the team, which was something i was previously unaware of.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • ms_tree
    I watched it yesterday as I got it for Christmas! Good insight into life and I thought Allan Peiper was v amusant! Typical Aussie mate!
    PS AFX want to borrow it??
    Neil Gaiman
  • johny c
    johny c Posts: 256
    firstly, happy new year to my fellow Millar fans,

a wee update to my post on page three, my daughter just sent me some pictures of her wearing the 25th anniversary jersey, on the trails above Nelson, NZ:
    DSC01664.jpg
    DSC01668.jpg
    Johny
  • johny c wrote:

a wee update to my post on page three, my daughter just sent me some pictures of her wearing the 25th anniversary jersey, on the trails above Nelson, NZ:

A fine advert for NZ if ever there was one. These pictures may find their way into the Girls In Lycra thread. :wink:
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    johny c wrote:

a wee update to my post on page three, my daughter just sent me some pictures of her wearing the 25th anniversary jersey, on the trails above Nelson, NZ
    B*gger! Seeing those makes me I realise I should have bought one when I had the chance :(

Not that it would get worn in this weather, -7º C this morning.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    She's got the tee shirt...
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Ms Tree wrote:
    I watched it yesterday as I got it for Christmas! Good insight into life and I thought Allan Peiper was v amusant! Typical Aussie mate!
    PS AFX want to borrow it??

Nah, it's alright, like I said, I saw it on Youtube and there's always **cough**cyclingtorrents.nl**cough**

Thanks for the offer though.
  • johny c
    johny c Posts: 256
    Captain Fagor,

She's our first born, six foot tall and as gallus as they come. She went for a day out to the canyon swing at Queenstown, which costs a few quid, but they let girls have another go free, if they do it with their kit off. Fiona went for it.

It's her birthday on the 21st, she'll be 25 when her twin brother Andrew will still be 24. They're 12 hours ahead of us in unzud :D
    Johny
  • Apologies to all regular posters here, I've just come over from another forum, having discovered this thread:

Mr. T: who was the best climber you ever competed with and who would you award the all-time polka dot jersey to?

Also, do you have any comments on the Fignon/Lemond 8 SECONDS Tour...?

Thanks for the memories of your career, really enjoyed your humour in TV interviews and now in your comments on here... all the best for whatever the future holds...
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Robert, you're obviously very busy as you haven't posted for a while. So, come on,

how's the autobiography going!!? :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • do you have any comments on the Fignon/Lemond 8 SECONDS Tour...?

The makers of Eastenders couldn't have planned it better and as a member of the supporting cast I was honoured to take part .

how's the autobiography going!!?

If it is going I imagine that it would be like everything else that happens at my age , slowly but surely :wink:
  • dulldave
    gotheteeshirt2
    I heard that you switched between clipless and toe clips quite a bit. Is this true? If so, what was going on there?
  • ynyswen24

If it is going I imagine that it would be like everything else that happens at my age , slowly but surely :wink:

Is that a promise? Because I'll put in my order for a copy now.

And does anyone have any idea how Fignon is these days, I haven't heard anything since he was diagnosed as being seriously ill?
  • Aggieboy

If it is going, as I'm a year older than you, I look forward to enjoying slowly but surely reading it then. :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Aggieboy wrote:

If it is going, as I'm a year older than you, I look forward to enjoying slowly but surely reading it then. :wink:

+1

I am currently reading the Lance Armstrong book.
    As a seven times winner i was expecting a high level of insight and some nice photos.

I was right!

There are some nice photos :evil:

There is more insight in any one sentence from Robert's article in the Rouler than the whole of Lance's book.

C'mon Robert! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dulldave wrote:
    gotheteeshirt2
    I heard that you switched between clipless and toe clips quite a bit. Is this true? If so, what was going on there?

That might have been when I tried using Look pedals but wasn't supposed to be as the team wasn't supplied with them ..................I didn't like the Look system so being told to remove them wouldn't have been a hardship despite clipless being a lot safer .
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    dulldave wrote:
    gotheteeshirt2

kelly and gtts were on clips early 90s. I see to remember gtts2 was on clipless and then back to clips...tendon probs off those time pedals poss? but I remember gtts had the Sidi shoes but blacked out...if I am right...the logos not visible??...oft at the time wondered why.
  • dulldave
    Thanks gtt2

Did you have a favoured climb for practising on when you were in Scotland? I'd imagine you must have given the Crow Road and Dukes Pass a bit of a hammering.
  • ynyswen24
    Robert,

Isuue 13 of Rouleur is currently going for £80 and rising on the E-bay. There's a market for your writing...
  • Aggieboy
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Robert,

Isuue 13 of Rouleur is currently going for £80 and rising on the E-bay. There's a market for your writing...

Robert can't reply, he's currently on ebay bumping up the price! :lol:
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Wow. Glad I had a quick shuftie at the Pro Race section.

Hats off to you, Mr gtts2. Must have been brilliant winding Hinault up all those many years ago. :lol: I wonder if you got the same kind of comments as Wiggins reportedly did last year when he was still with the lead group in the mountains, to wit, what the fcuk are you still doing here?

If you're still around and answering questions, I'd like to know what you consider was your most satisfying victory and why.