robert millar

Comments

• Point taken, but if the list is limited to a certain period of time then why not exclude anyone from before the reformation of the BCF into the current British Cycling? I notice Tony Doyle is not included! Seems like Percy Stallard is omitted and if he hadn't set up the BLRC then we'd still be wearing alpaca (but Rapha alpaca so it would be really nice :) )
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Point taken, but if the list is limited to a certain period of time then why not exclude anyone from before the reformation of the BCF into the current British Cycling? I notice Tony Doyle is not included! Seems like Percy Stallard is omitted and if he hadn't set up the BLRC then we'd still be wearing alpaca (but Rapha alpaca so it would be really nice :) )

I really have no idea. Maybe we should ask Robert Millar? :wink:
  • afx237vi wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    Point taken, but if the list is limited to a certain period of time then why not exclude anyone from before the reformation of the BCF into the current British Cycling? I notice Tony Doyle is not included! Seems like Percy Stallard is omitted and if he hadn't set up the BLRC then we'd still be wearing alpaca (but Rapha alpaca so it would be really nice :) )

I really have no idea. Maybe we should ask Robert Millar? :wink:
    :lol:

Just checked, Tony Doyle is in there...
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    ynyswen24 wrote:

Tony Doyle is there. No Sherwen though. Why no David Dufffeld!
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • phil s wrote:
    GTTS2, what do you think of things like power-meters that are so much in evidence now - even amongst amateurs? Do you think you would have appreciated such technology or is it all the devil's work?

I see the powermeter as another tool to be used in understanding what's happening like the bike computer and heartrate monitor were , so for certain situations it'll be essential . I'm just about to start reading Hunter Allen's book on the subject .

Is this for your own use or are you open to coaching requests? I'm 46 and rubbish but open to being shown why I'm rubbish :)
  • Great quote from GTTS2 c.1997?

For a climber, victory is enough. Alpe d'Huez is the true pinnacle, a passport to glory and reverence, not just the conquest of a mountain or rivals, but proof of heart and soul.

"There were some mountains, steeper than Alpe d'Huez, which I found much easier," Millar said. "I never liked that place, never felt comfortable on it. I always felt nature was going to beat me."

I know the feeling after the Joux Plane this Summer. Want to tackle the Alpe d'Huez next year. Respect to you Robert an awesome career.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • ynyswen24 wrote:
    phil s wrote:
    GTTS2, what do you think of things like power-meters that are so much in evidence now - even amongst amateurs? Do you think you would have appreciated such technology or is it all the devil's work?

I see the powermeter as another tool to be used in understanding what's happening like the bike computer and heartrate monitor were , so for certain situations it'll be essential . I'm just about to start reading Hunter Allen's book on the subject .

Is this for your own use or are you open to coaching requests? I'm 46 and rubbish but open to being shown why I'm rubbish :)

I'm reading the powermeter book to better understand the latest theories , training has always been about percentages so anything that lets you target certain types of effort in a precise way has to be good .
    As for coaching , if you were at pro level or going there then I might be interested in helping but I doubt what I know about climbing or the other aspects of racing will be any good to your progress at that age . Not that there's anything wrong with being 46 , I survived that milestone :roll:
  • Robert, what advice would you give to somebody(me)who keeps making a balls of dates?
    Don't say 'be yourself' as it's not working.
    Spesh Works Roubaix '10
    28 Charolais and counting.
  • Is this for your own use or are you open to coaching requests? I'm 46 and rubbish but open to being shown why I'm rubbish :)

I'm reading the powermeter book to better understand the latest theories , training has always been about percentages so anything that lets you target certain types of effort in a precise way has to be good .
    As for coaching , if you were at pro level or going there then I might be interested in helping but I doubt what I know about climbing or the other aspects of racing will be any good to your progress at that age . Not that there's anything wrong with being 46 , I survived that milestone :roll:[/quote]

That's okay Robert, I'd only be able to pay you with coffee and cakes and that might defeat the point of any coaching anyway! As for percentages, realising that I was 92% of 50 was a bit of a kick up the 'arris but I keep riding ... :) It's good that you stil have the desire and interest to learn and improve, and the willingness to come on here and share at least a bit of that knowledge, god knows you worked for it. Thats why i think we'd all offer to buy you a coffee if we met you on a ride.
  • Robert, what advice would you give to somebody(me)who keeps making a balls of dates?
    Don't say 'be yourself' as it's not working.

Perhaps a dvd for Xmas might help ............... "What Women Want" which worked for Mel Gibson or of course Brokeback Mountain if you like altenative westerns. :wink:
  • :lol::lol::lol:
    Now that's cheered me up no end this morning Rob, I gotta say I laughed into my porridge when I saw your post.
    What women want?
    Christ only knows.
    Funny you should mention westerns-what women definitely don't want is to listen to me banging on about Robert Millar posting on the forum-I tried this last time out with a girl.
    Cue sound of tumbleweed rolling across the dinner table.
    They don't know what they're missing.
    Spesh Works Roubaix '10
  • Ladies don't like porridge breath
    Dan
  • Don't know about that-I make it fairly odour free.
    What do you reckon Rob?
    And another thing-would you consider a Millar cycle-out with those that would love to see you after all these years?
    You name the time and place?
    Only not in the middle of the bleedin' night please.
    Spesh Works Roubaix '10
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Don't know about that-I make it fairly odour free.
    What do you reckon Rob?
    And another thing-would you consider a Millar cycle-out with those that would love to see you after all these years?
    You name the time and place?
    Only not in the middle of the bleedin' night please.

And not Paisley, please. It's been done :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • gavmac
    gavmac Posts: 22
    I was also inspired to follow pro cycling after seeing you in the TDF at home in the highlands when I was young. I've been a big fan of you and the sport ever since. I'd love to see your own book or you doing some punditry in the future as I love the insight of what really goes on mentally at the highest levels of performance. Massive respect to you for doing things your own way, Chapeau.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Ramanujan wrote:
    gotheteeshirt2: got any insights you'd care to share about the doping culture that is prevelant in todays cycling.? How was it in your day?

If you look at society in general then there are drugs eveywhere , ask yourself how easy it is to buy cocaine, cannabis or an E for the weekend's party so sport is just a reflection of that culture . You might want to think that something you take part in or enjoy exists in an ideal world but sadly the percentage of those willing to take risks is the same as every other section of society .
    Doping , drugs , cheating has always happened as it's human nature

I don't quite understand this analogy, although it's one that's often touted. Surely, taking drugs, eg cocaine, cannabis, E etc, for recreational purposes, is not the same as taking EPO, HGH etc to better one's chances of winning a bike race. Isn't taking PEDs more akin to cheating at poker, than it is to smoking a spliff...
  • can you imagine how many riders would turn up if our polka dot winner said yes to a ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good god it would be bloody chaos , what a laught thought , still amazed how long the thread been running , lovely to still see gottheteeshirt2 posting :wink: merry christmas to all who have made this thread so enjoyable :)
  • Garry H wrote:
    I don't quite understand this analogy, although it's one that's often touted. Surely, taking drugs, eg cocaine, cannabis, E etc, for recreational purposes, is not the same as taking EPO, HGH etc to better one's chances of winning a bike race. Isn't taking PEDs more akin to cheating at poker, than it is to smoking a spliff...

OK try this for thought .............you live in a society where drug taking to better your enjoyment and pursuit of happiness is an everyday occurence . Those drugs or medication can be legally obtained or otherwise , with VAT or without if you like , so then you have the moral question which is more acceptable taking certain substances for work , rest or play . Aren't they all cheating ?
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:

OK try this for thought .............you live in a society where drug taking to better your enjoyment and pursuit of happiness is an everyday occurence . Those drugs or medication can be legally obtained or otherwise , with VAT or without if you like , so then you have the moral question which is more acceptable taking certain substances for work , rest or play . Aren't they all cheating ?

Hmmm, ok, I see your point. Cheating to pursue enjoyment and cheating to pursue money, same thing in the end I guess. Not being a pro sportsman, I didn't/couldn't make that tie. Thanks for your reply. BTW, I'm still eating Kellogs Start, although it hasn't improved my performance, you lied to me ;o)
  • No, I believe it was Sir Chris Hoy who lied about the cereals, no more Bran Flakes for me. Felt like I was giving birth...
    Dr Robert, your relationship advice is priceless. I laughed into my Bran Flakes
  • Garry H
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    No, I believe it was Sir Chris Hoy who lied about the cereals, no more Bran Flakes for me. Felt like I was giving birth...
    Dr Robert, your relationship advice is priceless. I laughed into my Bran Flakes

It's not about the cereal...
  • After all that, what about our day out with Rob?
    I'm poised to book a flight, just say the word, chaos or not.
    Spesh Works Roubaix '10
  • Bernie S
    Bernie S Posts: 118
    I s this really the great man on here...who once wrote when you have been out in the rain for 2 hours and you feel like giving up... you realise Kelly has probably done 3 ..and without gloves.

I think of that every time I ride in the rain. vbw to you Robert
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    "Oh, Robert Millar riding up a mountain road; Steve Cram running somewhere, nowhere in particluar but with a hardy stare... mmmm...Robert, blazen in the sunshine on his shiny steed; flocks flowing in the foriegn air. Crammy, his hair, like finely managed poodle fur flexing with every stride; jumpers for goal posts...marvellous."
    :wink:

NB- If you have no idea what this is about; have a Butchers below-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeRoSFZWbs

-Jerry

PS- Found Crammy's advert but not RM's version. :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IkpiT4X ... ture=relat[img]ed Nice shades though :D[/img]frogskins.jpg
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Happy Christmas Rob, to you and yours, and to all on this thread.
    Spesh Works Roubaix '10
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0RAdfrQwvo
    Dedicated to you mate, thanks for the memories.
    Spesh Works Roubaix '10
  • Salut, RM
    ? What do you believe Brad Wiiggins will be capable of in this years Tour or in the next few years, do you think he will be capable of a podium placing.
    ? Will the BC/Sky squad be strong enough and will they (Brailsford, DS's etc) have the experience to 'manage' in the "jungle" of the pro tour peloton.
    ? still mountainbiking.
    Bonnes Fêtes
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Garry H wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Hmmm, ok, I see your point. Cheating to pursue enjoyment and cheating to pursue money, same thing in the end I guess. Not being a pro sportsman, I didn't/couldn't make that tie. Thanks for your reply. BTW, I'm still eating Kellogs Start, although it hasn't improved my performance, you lied to me ;o)

The major difference is that one is competitive, one isn't. If I go to a nightclub, somebody else taking a pill does not really affect my enjoyment of the evening, whereas if I ever got into the pro-peloton (ha!) and somebody else doped, it would affect me negatively.

I don't really judge the riders, especially the ones from yesteryear, because I know that the authorities turned a blind eye, so effectively forcing many riders into choosing to a) trust everyone else not to dope, and go clean themselves, or b) feel that if somebody else of equal talent doped and I didn't then I'd probably lose out. In which case the decision isn't really ethical so much as medical (am I slowly killing myself?).

So Robert, you started your career when doping was simpler, maybe a bit less harmful than what cycling saw in the '90s. Do you believe that the increasing potential harm changes the ethics of doping?

And to ask a question on a completely different subject, what's the best bike you've ever ridden?
  • johnfinch wrote:
    Hmmm, ok, I see your point. Cheating to pursue enjoyment and cheating to pursue money, same thing in the end I guess.

The major difference is that one is competitive, one isn't. If I go to a nightclub, somebody else taking a pill does not really affect my enjoyment of the evening, whereas if I ever got into the pro-peloton (ha!) and somebody else doped, it would affect me negatively.

And to ask a question on a completely different subject, what's the best bike you've ever ridden?

I dont think many bike riders compete to be rich , it would be easier to be a banker , the rewards are better and you get compensation when they discover you aren't good enough . You cant race at pro level and not love cycle racing otherwise you wouldn't last five minutes . The amount of money you are earning is the last thing on your mind when you are lined out in a wet Belgian gutter sucking up all kinds of crap from that newly manured field you are passing , there's no amount of money which makes that situation and similar ones enjoyable .It only looks shiny and glamorous at the start of a race .
    You are right cheating in pro cycling only affects the people directly involved with the teams and the only way that will change is with a different atitude towards the issue .As long as it's treated like some kind of professional foul then it'll exist .

Going back to your example of the nightclub , you might not think that the person taking that pill next to you will affect your night out but it could . There's a supply change involved there and that's a competition where people get hurt, maybe killed , and for every customer who wants an E there'll be another who wants something a bit harder . The kind of person who will happily break into your house and steal your tele in order to keep that habit going .
    Life's issues are never as simple as they seem .

The bike I most enjoyed racing ?................the titanium LeMond's we used at Z .
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    afx237vi wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    andyrr wrote:

I'll need to go off and watch The High Life (on VHS) now - great wee film,.

Speaking of which... any chance of this ever being released on DVD? I saw it on Youtube but it's not the same.

www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/shop

or telephone 020 8726 8403, it's £18.99 :)

(they've also got A Sunday In Hell which was previously withdrawn and is THE BEST CYCLING DOCUMENTARY EVER MADE, apparently...

Oooh, nice. I had no idea it had come out on DVD. £19 is a bit steep though :shock:
    You should have done what I did AFX and asked Santa for it! He obliged :DSanta Baby !!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman