robert millar

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    I didn't sell it . I wasn't supposed to be at the Giro according to my program , I was added at the last minute to help Phil Anderson but he didn't have the form and Breukink and myself emerged as the ones from our team in the front group. I needed something to occupy me during the three weeks so I decided to try for the climbers jersey from first stage , the rest of the race held no interest for me personally . I liked Eric Breukink and never rode against him , what did annoy me was Peter Post telling everyone that Breukink was going to beat me in the last day time trial . Post never once said anything encouraging to me during the three weeks , I always felt I was a disappointment to him no matter what so I did what I did best and stuck to being the best climber . I never raced against Roche but I didn't ride for him either , the last mountain stage (that I won)
    I didn't work at all with Roche and Lejaretta when we were in the front because Breukink was chasing just behind.

hmmmm really... didn't seem like it but just goes to show..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I remember reading in the biography of Roche and in Graham Watsons book 'The Great Tours' that you and Eddie Scheppers rode 'shotgun' for Roche on the Marmolada, otherwise he would have had seven shades of sh## knocked out of him by Visenti's fans.
    Any truth in that? Whatever happened it must have been a hell of an experience. I still have Watson's book and a great photo of you on the podium at the end of the stage with Roche shushing the tifosi who are jeering him.
    I also remember you riding Giant in the NPS mtb races, you were minding your own business in Pat Barkers tent, I was next 'door' working on the Sram stand.
  • nilsdal wrote:
    Is it true that the frenchmen on your team were smoking cigarettes in your hotelroom after a stage of the tour de france?

Not the TDF , it was at the early season races on the Cote D'Azur when we stayed in one place for two or three weeks and travelled to events . I was placed with one of the older riders in order that I learned the ropes but I didn't like finding the smokers having a sneaky fag in my room so when I mentioned the fact to my experienced colleague I was promptly moved on :roll:
  • Bear77
    Bear77 Posts: 60
    Hi Mr Teeshirt

You were one of my first cycling hero's - just wanted to say hello. :)
    The revolution will not be televised
  • nilsdal wrote:
    Is it true that the frenchmen on your team were smoking cigarettes in your hotelroom after a stage of the tour de france?

Not the TDF , it was at the early season races on the Cote D'Azur when we stayed in one place for two or three weeks and travelled to events . I was placed with one of the older riders in order that I learned the ropes but I didn't like finding the smokers having a sneaky fag in my room so when I mentioned the fact to my experienced colleague I was promptly moved on :roll:

Thank you for clearing that up! I now firmly believe that you are who you're supposed to be! Still, that's almost unbelievable. How long has it been? I'm old enough to remember people smoking just about everywhere, but could never picture a professional cyclist with a cigarette..
  • ynyswen24 wrote:
    I remember reading in the biography of Roche and in Graham Watsons book 'The Great Tours' that you and Eddie Scheppers rode 'shotgun' for Roche on the Marmolada, otherwise he would have had seven shades of sh## knocked out of him by Visenti's fans.
    Any truth in that? Whatever happened it must have been a hell of an experience. I still have Watson's book and a great photo of you on the podium at the end of the stage with Roche shushing the tifosi who are jeering him.
    I also remember you riding Giant in the NPS mtb races, you were minding your own business in Pat Barkers tent, I was next 'door' working on the Sram stand.

Yes I did ride so that the Visentini fans didn't get to spit , throw punches or grab directly at Roche on one particularly nasty section of a mountain climb , I dont remember which climb but it was one of the steep ones . I'd had that done to me by idiots at the Vuelta so I knew what it felt like to be treated in that way and it really annoyed me when I saw people screaming abuse and spitting , it's pretty disgusting when people spit on you on purpose. I think it was the same stage on which Roche punctured at the top of the last climb and Visentini attacked immediately , waving his arms and abusing us when we refused to to help him .

How is Pat , still running the 24 hour race ?
  • Yeah, regardless of race tactics and politics Roche seemed to need basic human help that day and it seemd like only you and Scheppers were around to help.
    Pat was a great bloke, as far as I know he's still organising things. I think he was involved in trying to get a 24hr road circuit race set up in the Brecon Beacons this year but it all fell apart, don't know if it was due to circumstances or entries or what. he's the kind of person who really does keep the racing scene going that's allowed Britains current successes to come to fruit.
    But where do you get the best cream cakes, that's the stuff thats important...
  • hero for ma since I was a wee boy watching the tour on 4 . Its a pity you dont write more articles , the reviews in procycling and the edition of cycle sport you edited where both excellent , i bought a Colnago on the strength of what you said in a that cycle sport , CHEERS !
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    edited December 2009
    TdF stage where you were away, got caught by the Indurain group then accelerated away again then Indurain again pulled you back is one that I can watch repeatedly with the hairs on the back of my neck standing up - one of the most exciting stages ever. Should have won that day.
    <edit for typos>
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    But where do you get the best cream cakes, that's the stuff thats important...

There's a wee shop in Piney that does very nice ones.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Duly noted!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Mr Teeshirt,

Have you any plans to write more magazine articles?

Do you return to the Dear Green Place often?
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    if I had one question to ask, it would be

why did you not just tell Jim Paton you were joining our club then at least I would, perhaps, have had the oppurtunity to have ridden in the same colours as the mighty RM
    (I certainly would not have achived it through my cyling talent) .

A hero to me in my youth and still a hero of mine today.
    fay ce que voudres
  • ynyswen24 wrote:
    I remember reading in the biography of Roche and in Graham Watsons book 'The Great Tours' that you and Eddie Scheppers rode 'shotgun' for Roche on the Marmolada, otherwise he would have had seven shades of sh## knocked out of him by Visenti's fans.

Yes I did ride so that the Visentini fans didn't get to spit , throw punches or grab directly at Roche on one particularly nasty section of a mountain climb , I dont remember which climb but it was one of the steep ones . I'd had that done to me by idiots at the Vuelta so I knew what it felt like to be treated in that way and it really annoyed me when I saw people screaming abuse and spitting , it's pretty disgusting when people spit on you on purpose. I think it was the same stage on which Roche punctured at the top of the last climb and Visentini attacked immediately , waving his arms and abusing us when we refused to to help him .

yes Pat is still putting on 24hr races along with other events.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Hi,

Just want to add; thanks for the memories and more importantly, the inspiration.
    I was never going to be a competative cyclist but just getting out on the bike and enjoying it is sufficient.

Congratulations on the Rouler article, superb!

Encore! encore!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • +1 daviesee

i remember (fondly) watching channel 4's footage with Richard "hairy arms" Keys.
    RM was always my favourite rider

Rober-%20Millar.jpg

couldn't find a polka dot panasonic jpg
    :cry: [/img]
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • ynyswen24 wrote:

Mr. Harrison, or can I call you Peter? You were kind enough to buy Rob Priest, Graham Sneddon and myself cups of tea when it was all getting a bit frantic at the races in 97. People couldn't understand why Shimano and Sram were helping each other. Top Bloke and a nice cup of tea. Are you still doing the Shimano spares service?
  • ynyswen24 wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:

Mr. Harrison, or can I call you Peter? You were kind enough to buy Rob Priest, Graham Sneddon and myself cups of tea when it was all getting a bit frantic at the races in 97. People couldn't understand why Shimano and Sram were helping each other. Top Bloke and a nice cup of tea. Are you still doing the Shimano spares service?
    I'm no longer running the Shimano service truck but still have close associations with shimano. I now have a Cycle shop, Cyclelogical and am also the organiser of the Northern Rock Cyclone festival of cycling. That takes up most of my time.
    I worked on Robert Millar's bikes (with Alan Hewitt)at a number of NPS and national,events. If memory serves me correctly he was riding a Giant. Also commissaired him in the Kelloggs Tours and still remember vividly sitting in the car behind him on a very wet stage into Glasgow. Also still have pictures I took of the Woolmark GP when it was the Nationals and he beat Joe Waugh in a two up sprint. A class rider
  • Nice to hear from you, you struck me as one of the good guys... I was only on the race scene for one year but had a good time and good memmories, generally (!). You lucky bugger getting to work on Millars bike, I 'only' got Scott Beaumonts! You're probably comimssaire'ing in the photo I've got of his calves disappearing up Ewden Heights in one of the Kelogs tours. I was too s##t scared to go and talk to him at the NPS races, he was clearly just riding because he wanted to.
    I wonder how things would have turned out if he'd be able to make being British coach work? BC might have got where they are now a couple of years earlier?
    If I'm in Newcastle I'll come and have a look at your Brooks saddles..
  • Langman
    Langman Posts: 178
    I read the 'In Search of Robert Millar' book and found it interesting. I think a Millar Autobiography would be fantastic.

This is fantastic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3xcUoRl8TU

Thanks Robert.
  • Have a look at

www.robertmillar.net/

it's linked to thewashingmachinepost
  • johny c
    johny c Posts: 256
    edited December 2009
    I got the t-shirt......it's now in New Zealand, being worn by my daughter, here's the letter I sent with it:

Fiona,

I'm sending you my limited edition jersey, shown below, since there's no way it'll ever fit me, supposing I had worms. I think it'll fit you ok and all I'd ask is you wear it with pride. Robert Millar is special to me and that jersey will be special in New Zealand. I'd bet it's the only one there.

I'm off to work then, so I'll be a bit quiet for a while. All the best with your new bike.

love you, dad xxxx

If I might be allowed one question (Robert) when will we see you again? love to see you at the Braveheart run one day.
    Johny
  • methinks we should thank gottheteeshirt2 for his posts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:o
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Robert,

Thanks for the memories in the 80's & 90's
    Thanks for leaving the KoM skinsuit in my local bike shop
    Thanks for posting here
    Thanks for not conforming

Not sure about smiles better, but it's no bad....

I wish you much happiness wherever you are & whatever you are doing.

Cheers!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Put perfectly, Richard.
  • many thanks Mr Teeshirt for the time you have taken in answering these questions it has been absolutely fascinating. You have a great talent in your writing, I do hope it doesn't remain just on the occasional forum post.

Thanks

Neil
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    As per previous posts.

Many thanks to Gottheteeshirt for his time responding to the posts on this thread.

I attended one of the Graham Baxter training camps at Altea that Robert Millar was on. He was pure class on the bike.

If you still have time to answer another question.....
    What was the best team you rode for and why?
    I'm guessing it won't be Panasonic!!!
  • johny c
    johny c Posts: 256
    The images I posted earlier of the 25th anniversary jersey, although done in all innocence, were in breach of copyright. The images were gone when I checked this morning, and I received a terse warning when I tried to restore them. Although it rather spoils the post, I thought it best just to remove them.

Brian at the washingmachinepost has kindly allowed me to post this instead:
    jersey_front.jpg

ps. another millar link for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfPk_caOzwQ
    Johny
  • johny c wrote:
    The images I posted earlier of the 25th anniversary jersey, although done in all innocence, were in breach of copyright. The images were gone when I checked this morning, and I received a terse warning when I tried to restore them. Although it rather spoils the post, I thought it best just to remove them.

Brian at the washingmachinepost has kindly allowed me to post this instead:
    jersey_front.jpg

ps. another millar link for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfPk_caOzwQ

FANTASTIC !!!
    are these available for purchase ?
  • what a brillant shirt are they avaible :o