Evans: That's your Lotto

Comments

• SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Dave_1 wrote:
    still bugs me that cancellera and co stopped Evans early attacks at TDF 09... am so glad he won the worlds and left that freak behind

+ 1.

Huge Spartacus fan; but felt Fabian was out of line there. (Not sure if I'd call Cancellera a freak though (unless you are talking about extraordinary performance)).
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Dave_1 wrote:
    still bugs me that cancellera and co stopped Evans early attacks at TDF 09... am so glad he won the worlds and left that freak behind

+1

Coming off the back of the disasterous TTT, I think that particular day completely knocked the stuffing out of Evans TdF for 2009. That was his day, Evans started the break and he was going to give it all and see what happened. Cancellera being the bully, co-ordinated and prevented the plans.

I stopped liking Cancellera from that day, saw him as a bully and now when I see him, hope he punctures or at least doesn't win.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Jurgen Ven Den Broeck situation. He finished 15th in the Tour this year and 7th at the Giro last year, so has aspirations of team leadership at Silence-Lotto. Comments from Marc Sargeant suggested he'd get this next year. He's a Belgian on a Belgian team, sponsored by Belgian companies so will get backing.

I think Evans was, justifiably so, somewhat unhappy with this as you'd think his GT record deserves more respect from his own team.

I'm not Evans biggest fan, but his results, tenacity and ability deserve more respect than he gets from fans and the media. It would be a sound move for both parties if he moved to Sky.
  • andyp wrote:
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Jurgen Ven Den Broeck situation. He finished 15th in the Tour this year and 7th at the Giro last year, so has aspirations of team leadership at Silence-Lotto. Comments from Marc Sargeant suggested he'd get this next year. He's a Belgian on a Belgian team, sponsored by Belgian companies so will get backing.
    Jurgen Van Den Broeck is a great talent and would likely be the leader in the Tour for Omega.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Without putting words in Iain's mouth: I'm guessing he thinks Sky's roster currently doesn't lead them to much success.
    Sky are 'toilet' wrt being competitive in the GC in the GTs. Beyond that they'll easily post 20+ wins next season.

As far as my own day-to-day interest in the sport is concerned, RadioShack are toilet.
  • EBH has £2.5m for three years at Sky.
    Cadel is a very aerobic athlete and not very latic, that's why he's not very fast in a sprint or at attacking. But he's got a huge amount of slow-twitch muscle fibres, a good engine and an excellent strength to weight ratio.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • OFFICIAL: EVANS WILL BE RIDING FOR BMC

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/Ar ... 112009_004

His presence itself boosts their chances massively at getting a Tour invite.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • BMC are a very stylish team so I'm pretty pleased about this. We will be seeing more of these monsters:
    SLR01_front.jpg
    tt01_front.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd hardly say that's official FF.

His wife is on twitter talking about people writing articles based on rumours
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I still maintain that Evans would be better doing the classics/Giro - Vuelta/worlds Combo.

He won't be doing that with BMC.

It's a long old season if you have to fight for a Tour invite. All that energy spent just to get the pick.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think Sky are toilet

I would be interested to know exactly what you expected from sky to have this opinion of them?

Because to me signing Cadel would make them toilet

Maybe it's a bit harsh calling them that.

They're got a huge budget and have signed some good riders however they still feel very average to me. If you signed a genuine GC guy like Cadel then you know who the team is working for and could expect a result.

They're like a band in search of a frontman at the moment.
  • iainf72
    teagar wrote:

It's a long old season if you have to fight for a Tour invite. All that energy spent just to get the pick.

Prudhomme likes Evans.

The manager of BMC is good chums with ASO. They've practically got a Giro invite off the back of hiring Ballan
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    iainf72 wrote:
    teagar wrote:

Prudhomme likes Evans.

The manager of BMC is good chums with ASO. They've practically got a Giro invite off the back of hiring Ballan

You're probably right.

I still think they'll be going pretty full tilt at Qatar and Paris-Nice though.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • No, not official at all, wrong word, just an article putting the rumours in black and white...these papers like to write breaking stories to get interest so it could well be wrong.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    I know he won WC but that's his card played now, he's not going to be allowed to to do it again. He's NEVER going to win a GT (not as long as he has a hole in his ars*/chin) quote]

If it wasn't for a puncture, he would've won the Vuelta this year.

it wasnt so much the puncture but the inability to recover from it that cost him iirc he was with Sanchez and he couldnt hold his wheel , Sanchez managed to limit his losses while Evans couldnt.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    Moray Gub wrote:

it wasnt so much the puncture but the inability to recover from it that cost him iirc he was with Sanchez and he couldnt hold his wheel , Sanchez managed to limit his losses while Evans couldnt.

If he hadn't punctured he probably wouldn't have got dropped from the front group with Basso making a nice pace.

It's all speculation but saying he'll never win a GT is a bit daft.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    BMC really? So this would appear to be just about money, he might get slightly more support there, but they aren't exactly the worlds biggest team.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    With Contador, Evans and Wiggins potentially available there are a lot of teams with budget left over for next season who could sign them;

Caisse d'Epargne
    Quick Step
    Silence Lotto
    Sky
    Garmin

All of these teams have the potential to support a GT winner. BMC look Classics heavy to me so personally I'd be surprised if Evans moved there. But money talks and they appear to have quite a bit of that.
  • iainf72
    What about Columbia Andy?

Lots of talent gone, bit of cash, could be tweaked to support Cadel..
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    iainf72 wrote:

Stapleton has said it's pointless competing against Contador. Also seems keen to promote Martin to a GC contender.

If Sky want a GC rider Evans would be a great fit.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:

Still too focused on Cav, if Cadel really wants a complete team behind him he should go somewhere else IMO
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • iainf72

If Sky want a GC rider Evans would be a great fit.

I agree, but if they want to get a British rider going for the GC, they'll have trouble attracting one with Cadel on board.
  • The BMC link, broke at dawn, from HN.
    No confirmation and it's all gone quiet.
    Don't think much of his mountain support, if he goes there.

Maybe it'll come down to sealed bids? :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    The BMC link, broke at dawn, from HN.
    No confirmation and it's all gone quiet.
    Don't think much of his mountain support, if he goes there.

Oh, I don't know. Ballan and Kroon can climb a bit. You'd just need to hire a couple of real goats but I don't think they're awful.

The lovely Chiara sez

Journalists can't wait for an official press release instead of writing articles based on RUMOURS? Patience is a virtue
  • This seems pretty plausible to me...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 22,00.html
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    well if he gos to BMC he might just like riding rare bikes
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799

So now we have two press reported signings.
    I think I'll wait...........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Would like to see him at Garmin, would sort his TTT problems, and Wiggins to Sky, a good deal all round
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited November 2009
    I'm not so sure of Cadel being after the money as people are suggesting. Not only has he a decent amount already, first and foremost he wants to win the Tour and I think that is more important to him than a pay increase (Garmin are not big budget but are a good team for GC). He is also spent the first four years of his life in an Aboriginal community and has suppoorted the Free Tibet campaign for a long time; he also sponsors a child in Kathmandu.

0807281248241I.jpg
    tdf08st16-tibet450.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think Sky are toilet

I would be interested to know exactly what you expected from sky to have this opinion of them?

Because to me signing Cadel would make them toilet

Maybe it's a bit harsh calling them that.

They're got a huge budget and have signed some good riders however they still feel very average to me. If you signed a genuine GC guy like Cadel then you know who the team is working for and could expect a result.

They're like a band in search of a frontman at the moment.

I sort of see what you mean but I think they have long term plans and signing Cadel would hinder those somewhat.