Evans: That's your Lotto

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited November 2009 in Pro race
He's off. Has a nice little clause in his contract.
http://www.davitamon-lotto.be/
Good domestique job going at Astana, or a an ex-German slot at the Shack?
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Vino
    Vino Posts: 184
    youve beaten Ian!

Raaaagh
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    That's big news. Where will he go?

I could see him at Quickstep....and although lots of folks would like to see him at Sky, would they have the support he wants?
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Sky..

I recon
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Vino wrote:
    youve beaten Ian!

Raaaagh
    Get yer wallet open! :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Wow- didn't see that coming.

Sky.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Is there any point in Silence-Lotto entering the Tour de France next year now?
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Tusher wrote:
    Wow- didn't see that coming.

Sky.

I certainly hope not! He can take his sqeeky bum faced whine anywhere else! We get a pro tour team at last and we get all these bloody aussies. Tell em to get their own team!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • wicked
    edited October 2009
    afx237vi wrote:

About the same point as evans entering the tour de france. :wink:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • afx237vi
    wicked wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

About the same point of evans entering the tour de france. :wink:

Ha, probably true.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ahhh.

Interesting

Sky
    Katusha
    Rabo
    Astana

All gotta be interested
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Would've thought he'd be a shoe-in at Sky. They've still got plenty of spots left, and no stand out GC contender, plus he's an Anglophone. Can't see Cuddles being silly enough to join QS, and there aren't too many other options.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Interesting news. I have no idea who he will ride for. Sky don't have an out and out GT rider although EBH wants to be in the position to compete at full gas in the Tour if I understand correctly.

Jurgen Van Den Broeck is a great talent and would likely be the leader in the Tour for Omega.

He did a live chat sometime this week...I didn't listen, but maybe he mentioned something there: http://www.cadelspeaks.com/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • wicked
    Its all very well saying all these teams would be interested but really whats he going to win?
    I know he won WC but that's his card played now, he's not going to be allowed to to do it again. He's NEVER going to win a GT (not as long as he has a hole in his arse/chin) so what would be the point of Sky signing him? To finish top ten? Better to go for stage wins.
    Plus how is signing yet another aussie who has missed his only chance of winning TdF going to help the young brit pro's on sky?
  • iainf72
    He's saying its to maximise his earning potential

So Sky or Katusha
  • afx237vi
    If he's quit S-L, then surely that means he must have a contract sewn up with another team already.
  • frenchfighter
    wicked wrote:
    He's NEVER going to win a GT

He is the only rider in history to finsh 2nd in a GT by less than a minute, twice.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    wicked wrote:
    Plus how is signing yet another aussie who has missed his only chance of winning TdF going to help the young brit pro's on sky?

If they signed him he'd be the only guy on Sky with a proven record in grand tours and that's worth a whole bunch.

It's like saying "what use is Flecha unless you want to teach people about coming 3rd in cobbled races"

At the worlds I think Sunderland was hanging with the Oz crew.
  • afx237vi
    wicked wrote:
    Its all very well saying all these teams would be interested but really whats he going to win?
    I know he won WC but that's his card played now, he's not going to be allowed to to do it again. He's NEVER going to win a GT (not as long as he has a hole in his ars*/chin) so what would be the point of Sky signing him? To finish top ten? Better to go for stage wins.

I wouldn't go that far. He's never going to beat Contador, but the Giro and the Vuelta are still possibilities. He was one flat tyre away from winning the Vuelta this year.
  • iainf72
    wicked wrote:
    I know he won WC but that's his card played now, he's not going to be allowed to to do it again. He's NEVER going to win a GT (not as long as he has a hole in his ars*/chin) quote]

If it wasn't for a puncture, he would've won the Vuelta this year.
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    I think his wife will be pleased.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    iainf72 wrote:
    Ahhh.

Interesting

Sky
    Katusha
    Rabo
    Astana

All gotta be interested

If QS were keen to sign Bertie (as they openly stated they were), then I can't see why they wouldn't want Evans as a consolation prize.

They have no GT contenders, a big budget, are the other big Beligian team, etc, etc.

It would be an easy move for him to make.

Katusha or Sky would fit easily too - but for different reasons.
  • wicked
    afx237vi wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    I know he won WC but that's his card played now, he's not going to be allowed to to do it again. He's NEVER going to win a GT (not as long as he has a hole in his ars*/chin) so what would be the point of Sky signing him? To finish top ten? Better to go for stage wins.

I wouldn't go that far. He's never going to beat Contador, but the Giro and the Vuelta are still possibilities. He was one flat tyre away from winning the Vuelta this year.

With respect you are reaching in your last sentence imo. There was still a lot of racing to go at that point, I seem to remember similar comments before Saint-Amand-Montrond time trial in 08? Who knows what would have happened in the vuelta?
    We do not need to be shown how to finish second. :wink:
  • giner1961
    giner1961 Posts: 135
    it does not matter which team he goes too, the mental weakness is in him you only have to look at his behaviour in past tours, and his celebration in the worlds when he crossed the line he's a weirdo :roll:
  • Pokerface
    And hey - if he DOES go to Sky - then they could have the WC jersey in their fold for a few years - after they sign Cav for 2011. ;)
  • iainf72
    I think Sky are toilet

However, if Sky signed Evans I'd put them in the top tier.
  • giner1961
    giner1961 Posts: 135
    actually i think i have been too harsh about evans in my pervious post what he needs to do is forget about Tibet and any other political views until his cycling career is over, then throw his weight behind his political views/opinons
  • afx237vi
    wicked wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

With respect you are reaching in your last sentence imo. There was still a lot of racing to go at that point, I seem to remember similar comments before Saint-Amand-Montrond time trial in 08? Who knows what would have happened in the vuelta?

OK, we can't say for certain he had the Vuelta won, but he had a pretty damn good chance. His riding in the stages after the puncture showed he had the form to win it.

Given the right parcours, the right support and the absence of Contador, Evans will always be in with a shout of a GT win. Are Menchov, Sastre or Valverde really that much better than him? I don't think so.
  • wicked
    afx237vi wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

OK, we can't say for certain he had the Vuelta won, but he had a pretty damn good chance. His riding in the stages after the puncture showed he had the form to win it.

Given the right parcours, the right support and the absence of Contador, Evans will always be in with a shout of a GT win. Are Menchov, Sastre or Valverde really that much better than him? I don't think so.

So if we take menchov, sastre and piti out of the tour last year ,and piti diid not ride, the rainbow worrier finished second to contador did he? His chance has gone, he needed to do it in 2008 but he could not even beat sastre. There is now a new generation that will push him further back. He's good, but will never be great. A diesel not a sportscar.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    But Sky's goal was to have "the first British Tour de France winner ever", if I remember the Brailsford quote correctly...

:?