Evans: That's your Lotto

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bhima wrote:
    But Sky's goal was to have "the first British Tour de France winner ever", if I remember the Brailsford quote correctly...

:?

Cadel Evans is Welsh isn't he? Evans is a Welsh surname
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bhima wrote:
    But Sky's goal was to have "the first British Tour de France winner ever", if I remember the Brailsford quote correctly...

:?

Cadel Evans is Welsh isn't he? Evans is a Welsh surname

And Cadel sounds stupid enough to be a Welsh name........... :wink: My Wife informs me it is actually "battle" in Welsh.

I think he deserves a break, he has stayed loyal to his team and suffered because of that for a long time. It's no different to Wayne Rooney leaving Everton.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    wicked wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    OK, we can't say for certain he had the Vuelta won, but he had a pretty damn good chance. His riding in the stages after the puncture showed he had the form to win it.

Given the right parcours, the right support and the absence of Contador, Evans will always be in with a shout of a GT win. Are Menchov, Sastre or Valverde really that much better than him? I don't think so.

So if we take menchov, sastre and piti out of the tour last year ,and piti diid not ride, the rainbow worrier finished second to contador did he? His chance has gone, he needed to do it in 2008 but he could not even beat sastre. There is now a new generation that will push him further back. He's good, but will never be great. A diesel not a sportscar.

My point about Menchov, Sastre and Valverde is that they're not really any better than Evans, yet they've all won GTs. Therefore there is no reason why Evans can't do the same. Clearly the TdF last year was an aberration by his standards, yet his ride in the Vuelta and the Worlds showed that it wasn't an end-of-career Indurain-style collapse. He still has the legs.

Who are the new generation? I don't see anyone apart from Schleck. Nibali and Kreuziger and the like are good, but they're not at that level yet.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    On a similar note, he seemed to do a lot of work for Gilbert at the end of this season. Is this a but unusual for him? Maybe he was trying to give the team something before he left?
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    afx237vi wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    OK, we can't say for certain he had the Vuelta won, but he had a pretty damn good chance. His riding in the stages after the puncture showed he had the form to win it.

Given the right parcours, the right support and the absence of Contador, Evans will always be in with a shout of a GT win. Are Menchov, Sastre or Valverde really that much better than him? I don't think so.

So if we take menchov, sastre and piti out of the tour last year ,and piti diid not ride, the rainbow worrier finished second to contador did he? His chance has gone, he needed to do it in 2008 but he could not even beat sastre. There is now a new generation that will push him further back. He's good, but will never be great. A diesel not a sportscar.

My point about Menchov, Sastre and Valverde is that they're not really any better than Evans, yet they've all won GTs. Therefore there is no reason why Evans can't do the same. Clearly the TdF last year was an aberration by his standards, yet his ride in the Vuelta and the Worlds showed that it wasn't an end-of-career Indurain-style collapse. He still has the legs.

Who are the new generation? I don't see anyone apart from Schleck. Nibali and Kreuziger and the like are good, but they're not at that level yet.

I take your point but evans better than valverde? Hmmmm. Interesting that one even taking the "enhancements" out of it. The new generation are fast coming, the names you mentioned schleck esp will put evans in his place and even bradley will be there. Cadel still has the legs yes but those legs have never had the class or a jump. The WC was a case of everyone looking at each other and not wanting to tow someone else up to evans, that is all fine and dandy but will never will win you le tour.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • wicked
    On a similar note, he seemed to do a lot of work for Gilbert at the end of this season. Is this a but unusual for him? Maybe he was trying to give the team something before he left?

More a case of what happened in the WC. The aussie team seemed to be pulling for gerrans not evans (seen any thanks for the work by the aussie team from evans lately?) and he seemed to be looking for gilbert for help. Payback?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    wicked wrote:
    Its all very well saying all these teams would be interested but really whats he going to win?
    I know he won WC but that's his card played now, he's not going to be allowed to to do it again. He's NEVER going to win a GT (not as long as he has a hole in his ars*/chin) so what would be the point of Sky signing him? To finish top ten? Better to go for stage wins.
    Plus how is signing yet another aussie who has missed his only chance of winning TdF going to help the young brit pro's on sky?

He's played his card now (WC)?? Allowed to do it again??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Cadel won the WC because he ended up being one of the strongest riders in the race; I didn't realise that he was allowed the win.

Bear in mind, he lost 1:33 to a puncture in the Veulta and lost by 1:32.

And a quick one for you Wicked: What does the design of his chin have to do with anything? Wicked, would you mind putting a picture up of you on this forum so we can find fault with you?
  • SpaceJunk
    giner1961 wrote:
    actually i think i have been too harsh about evans in my pervious post what he needs to do is forget about Tibet and any other political views until his cycling career is over, then throw his weight behind his political views/opinons

Why does that matter??
  • wicked
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    Its all very well saying all these teams would be interested but really whats he going to win?
    I know he won WC but that's his card played now, he's not going to be allowed to to do it again. He's NEVER going to win a GT (not as long as he has a hole in his ars*/chin) so what would be the point of Sky signing him? To finish top ten? Better to go for stage wins.
    Plus how is signing yet another aussie who has missed his only chance of winning TdF going to help the young brit pro's on sky?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Cadel won the WC because he ended up being one of the strongest riders in the race; I didn't realise that he was allowed the win.

And a quick one for you Wicked: What does the design of his chin have to do with anything? Wicked, would you mind putting a picture up of you on this forum so we can find fault with you?

Yes he lost time in the puncture but you can't simply say well add that back on and he would have won! If he had not lost the time the other GC contenders would have looked upon him differently. Its a little more complicated than that. If, alas we will never know.

Yes cadel won the WC and fair play to him. I do not remember saying he was allowed the win? I merely said he would be watched more carefully in future.

As for my picture well I am flattered but will have to decline. Maybe in a PM lover? Sadly one eyed australians do nothing for me, have you tried telling cadel how you feel? Don't touch his dog though!
  • SpaceJunk
    I'm not surprised that he is leaving SL.

Evans has been doing a whole lot of media work in the past week (for an impending book release), and he's talked at length of the troubles he's had with SL management this year, particularly with Marc Sargeant and Roberto Damiani.

Evans' 2 big objectives for the year was TdF and the WC. He therefore wanted to do the TdF and Vuelta GT. (He did this in 07 and came 2nd / 4th in GT and 5th in WC).

He decided on this, and then during his mid-break he learnt his team wanted him at Giro (as we all know).

But after Evans' won the WC, he read an interview where Sargeant said that he had to convince Evans to ride the Vuelta as prep for the WC. Let's just say Evans wasn't too pleased when he read that.
  • SpaceJunk
    edited October 2009
    wicked wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    wicked wrote:

Yes he lost time in the puncture but you can't simply say well add that back on and he would have won! If he had not lost the time the other GC contenders would have looked upon him differently. Its a little more complicated than that. If, alas we will never know.

Yes cadel won the WC and fair play to him. I do not remember saying he was allowed the win? I merely said he would be watched more carefully in future.

As for my picture well I am flattered but will have to decline. Maybe in a PM lover? Sadly one eyed australians do nothing for me, have you tried telling cadel how you feel? Don't touch his dog though!

Thanks for that Wicked.

For the record; I'm not a Cadel 'fan'. and I think he'll never win the TdF (he has missed his chance). He could however, win a Giro / Vuelta. I also think that if he targeted the Ardennes' classics he could bag a win there too.

Why wouldn't Sky want a rider like that? Sure the TdF is a big race, but's its not the only race.

But the fact you think he is NEVER going to win a GT (not as long as he has a hole in his ars*/chin) provides more insight into the type of person you are as opposed to the deficiencies in Evans' make up as a professional cyclist.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Odd news, but the timing suits him for it is better to find a new team now than in the middle of July. Sky seems the most obvious but who knows, a lot depends on what Contador does.
  • wicked
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    wicked wrote:

Thanks for that Wicked.

For the record; I'm not a Cadel 'fan'. and I think he'll never win the TdF (he has missed his chance). He could however, win a Giro / Vuelta. I also think that if he targeted the Ardennes' classics he could bag a win there too.

Why wouldn't Sky want a rider like that? Sure the TdF is a big race, but's its not the only race.

But the fact you think he is NEVER going to win a GT (not as long as he has a hole in his ars*/chin) provides more insight into the type of person you are as opposed to the deficiencies in Evans' make up as a professional cyclist.

Well at least we agree about something.

Skys aim is to produce british winners I fail to see how a rider who has consistently failed to produce the goods is going to help really. Aussies are winners which I admire them for but WC aside cadel has made a career of nearly winning. We as brits are already pretty good at that :D

You can probably pick up on the fact that I do not like cadel and that is very true I think he is odious IMO but as a rider he is lacking the x factor that is why I as a hopeless cycling romantic love the sport, not taking anything away from the effort on his part. Thats just the way it is, boring for want of a better word.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    wicked wrote:
    The new generation are fast coming, the names you mentioned schleck esp will put evans in his place and even bradley will be there.

I'd be prepared to put money on Evans being a better bet in GT's than Bradley in the next couple of years.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • wicked
    iainf72 wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    The new generation are fast coming, the names you mentioned schleck esp will put evans in his place and even bradley will be there.

I'd be prepared to put money on Evans being a better bet in GT's than Bradley in the next couple of years.

Its an interesting question isn't it? I personally will settle for the fact that we can be here debating that fact about a british rider.
  • iainf72
    wicked wrote:
    Its an interesting question isn't it? I personally will settle for the fact that we can be here debating that fact about a british rider.

Look at Evans GT performance since 2005. Constantly up there, this years Tour being the exception. But people talk of lack of mental strength yet he had that poor performance yet bounced back to a good Vuelta and the Worlds.
  • SpaceJunk
    iainf72 wrote:
    wicked wrote:

I'm not a betting man, but if I was; my money would be on Evans.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    How much time did Evans lose in the Tour because of the TTT? Wasn't his race effectively over at that point? He had another really bad day after that too if I recall.

And after his puncture in the Vuelta, how much time did he manage to get back on Valverde (not including TT)? If I recall - none. So to say he would have been treated differently if he hadn't lost time due to the puncture is surely irrelevant?
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I think given the right team mates, and the right management, Cadel could definitely win a GT. What happens if next year Contador/Schleck has a puncture/crash/a bad year. Cadel might not be a top tier GT rider, but he's definitely in with a shout when in form. I hope he goes to Sky they need a GT contendor

Personally, I like him as a rider more and more, he can just grind away and hurt. Plus when he wore the yellow jersey you could see how much it meant, he's a guy that loves the sport and I like that.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    I would rather that Sky got Evans for nothing, in transfer fees, than they pay the rumoured $2 million for Wiggens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    still bugs me that cancellera and co stopped Evans early attacks at TDF 09... am so glad he won the worlds and left that freak behind
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    On career form to date, I'd take Evans over Wiggins with a view to winning a GT, TT stages, One day race, etc. Evans will be up there as a contendor for another 2 years anyway....Wiggins needs to show that 4th in TdF 2009 was no one-off.
  • iainf72
    Dutch paper is reporting Evans is going to BMC

Now, that would surprise me and y'all know I like the BMC.
  • iainf72
    I would rather that Sky got Evans for nothing, in transfer fees, than they pay the rumoured $2 million for Wiggens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to shock you but they've not paid anytihng for Wiggins.

This is also not football - There isn't a transfer fee. There was talk of buying Wiggins out of his contract but Evans case is different. He's just terminated his contract and is moving.
  • I can't see Evans winning a GT no matter where he is. There always seems to be an excuse, someone to blame. To think they call us whining poms!

I'm not a fan of his and wouldn't want to see him on a `British` team.

But good luck to him wherever he ends up.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    I think Sky are toilet

I would be interested to know exactly what you expected from sky to have this opinion of them?

Because to me signing Cadel would make them toilet
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Dutch paper is reporting Evans is going to BMC

Now, that would surprise me and y'all know I like the BMC.

Someone is trying to hammer this theory home, on another forum.

To me, it lacks the two key ingredients (besides cash) that Cadel craves.
    No guarranteed TDF start.
    Sure, his presence would give them a really strong claim, but not certain entry.
    Also, having moaned for years about Lotto's lack of team support, is he really going to downsize, in this department?
    After all, he's still talking the TDF talk.........

One thing yesterdays announcement made clear. There's a lot of mileage left, in this year's transfer market.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • SpaceJunk
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think Sky are toilet

I would be interested to know exactly what you expected from sky to have this opinion of them?

Because to me signing Cadel would make them toilet

Without putting words in Iain's mouth: I'm guessing he thinks Sky's roster currently doesn't lead them to much success.

Sure EDV will get some wins, Gerrans will pop up and get a couple, Flecha will be on the hunt.

Granted Evans isn't in the top tier of GT contenders (AC, Andy Schleck etc), but he is on the next level down.

As mentioned earlier; I would think Evans would be more dependable in GT than Wiggins, despite Bradley's 4th placing this year.

Sky may be a 'British' team; but people are delusional to think that the squad will be 100% made up of 'local' riders and be successful.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    It just staggers me that Evans can be considered not a top tier GT rider when if it wasn't for the shocking (lack of) outcome to Puerto and solely fighting off a tripartite attack from the best team in the world (plus a pretty bad crash) he might be sitting on 3 GT wins.

One eyed Australian? There's nothing more one-eyed than a romantic cycling fan.

Strava is not Zen.
  • SpaceJunk
    Well Cyclingnews (for what it is worth), is hinting that AC could fill the void left by Evans departure.

Good luck with that Alberto; if you head there. I think you'll need it.