Bbox change to Colnago bikes

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited October 2009 in Pro race
Backward step. Those Times are quite possibly the best looking bikes in the peloton.

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?pa ... 24761&tp=n

2010-time-nxr-ulteam-bike.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Or a progressive step, moving to one of the legendary bike manufacturers. It just depends on your point of view.
  • frenchfighter
    Well most things depend on your point of view don't they. I'll take the Time over 90% of Colnagos.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    Of course. I'd take a Colnago over a Time any day, the quality of the ride of a Colnago is something to behold.

Most pros just ride what they're given though.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,871
    time bikes are not shabby thou...of all the carbon out there they are one of the few that seem worth the money
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    I remember reading somewhere on this forum a few years ago how Colnago's were loved by pros, and how most ex-pros who ever rode one had chosen it as their steed when they no longer had their bikes supplied.

Also, looks don't equal excellence. Titanium bikes look ugly but I've never rode anything quite as glorious.
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • frenchfighter
    How many PT teams ride Colnagos?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862

What's that got to do with anything?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Rabo used to until this year.

I'd take a Colnago over a Time any day of the week.

But at that level, a bike's a bike.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • alanmcn1

Rabobank were always their biggest outlet.

However you seem a little confused if that is an argument as to how good Colnago bikes are. Teams don't chose suppliers, suppliers choose which teams they will offer their bikes to FOR FREE.

Maybe in the given climate colnago decided this wasn't for them. Van Nicholas don't supply teams, Argon, Basso..................all bloody fabulous bikes though
  • frenchfighter
    90% of members try to disagree and counter everything I say about anything anywhere.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • redddraggon
    90% of members try to disagree and counter everything I say about anything anywhere.

Perhaps if you didn't come out with some ridiculous statements?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448

No they don't. That's a stupid comment. :lol:
  • andyp

Colnago remains a family run business based in Italy whose range is almost exclusively racing bike based. They are competing for PT team sponsorship against the likes of Specialized, Trek and Giant, all of whom are much larger companies whose range encompasses leisure bikes, commuting bikes, mountain bikes, kids bikes and racing bikes. These companies have a massive marketing budget, Colnago, and other Italian manufacturers like De Rosa just can't compete. Pinarello are the exception it seems, but I don't think any of their frames are hand made in Italy these days.

That's why Colnago don't currently sponsor a pro tour team, it has nothing to do with the quality of the bike.
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385

Come off it! You know enough about cycling to understand that that's not the way things work in professional teams.

These days many of the major manufacturers not only supply the bikes to the teams, but also pay cash for the team's endorsement. Colnago claim to have never done this (although as co-sponsor of Landbouwkrediet, you could argue that that's essentially the same thing) which may explain why they've had a lean period in terms of sponsoring top-flight teams and have now come back into it with the newly-demoted (and so probably less demanding) Bbox outfit.

It all comes down to money, doesn't it? Having top teams and riders on Trek and Specialized will sell more of those brands. Prospective Colnago owners don't really need to see Lance win another tour on an EPS to be convinced that's the bike for them.

That said, on a personal note, I'd like to see more of the traditional frame builders have a presence in the top-flight pro-peleton.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:

That's why Colnago don't currently sponsor a pro tour team, it has nothing to do with the quality of the bike.

I think Eddy Merckx stopped sponsoring top tier teams because of the cost involved and he couldn't justify it.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    I ask a simple question and get two long posts. Don't infer anything from what I say. If I want to say something about the quality of Colnago bikes, I will say it. I am direct unlike some members.

So has Time got more money to sponsor a ProTeam than Colnago? I would wager that there are many, many more Colnagos sold than Times, which are more exclusive.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    And by the way, Tinkoff.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Specialized are rumoured to be following Cervelo and creating their own team for 2011, which is further worse news for smaller builders, and no doubt Trek and Giant will follow-suit. It just goes to confirm that I'll never be tempted to buy a big-brand bike, even though a team-deal means I can get them at trade prices.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    And by the way, Tinkoff.

Gesundheit!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • I seem to remember a piece in Pro-Cycling last year in which teh marketing guy for Colnago said, on losing their agreements with Rabo and Milram, that Giant were paying for the endorsement and that, in addition to handing over about 70 frames (plus specials) for the year (gratis), Colnago just couldn't justify the expense in terms of revenue generated.

Remember as well, FF, that Colnagos have by far the best paintwork of any top end bike. That costs too.

I think he concluded on the note that if somebody was going to buy a Colnago, they would buy one regardless of whether it was used by the pros. My next bike will be a Colnago, and I started saving (how old fashioned!) as soon as my current race-bike was finished!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    edited October 2009
    Not long ago you had Rabobank and Milram riding Colnago in the Pro Tour then LBK and Tinkoff at Pro continental level. Probably one of the more high profile bikes at the time, and it's only 2/3 years ago.

Edit: Simultaneous posts DG.
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    I ask a simple question and get two long posts.

So has Time got more money to sponsor a ProTeam than Colnago?

I don't think it was a simple question, I think it was a loaded question.

Anyway - has Time got more money than Colnago? Probably. Volume sales of bike frames might be lower, but then they've been making pedals that sell in droves for decades (they apparently sell 120,000 pairs of ATAC pedals alone per year). Plus their shoes. And their deal with Selle Italia over Time-branded saddles. And their own carbon production plant (something Colnago can't afford to have). And enough of a marketing budget to recently supply Quick-Step, Cofidis, Bbox and a whole host of pro's pedals.

Yep - I'd say Time Sport International has lots more money than Colnago.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    edited October 2009

Thats becuase you speak shite most of the time.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    Ash_ wrote:

Come off it! You know enough about cycling to understand that that's not the way things work in professional teams.

He does ?
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:

Rabo used to until this year.

I'd take a Colnago over a Time any day of the week.

But at that level, a bike's a bike.

At that level it is but at our level but i would imagine given the choice most folks would go for Colnago. I know i would.
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    I always associate Colnago's now with being old and out of date. For me the TIme machine looks the business.

I always remember hearing guys back in the day saying that once they got the new C40 that it would be the last bike they ever buy. total horse shite, they are a nice machine, probably over priced, the reality is that the Trek's, Giants offer much better value for money with no compromise of quality as the Italian stables.
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    edited October 2009
    I am glad 'nago are back on the Pro scene, it makes shrewd business sense as well no doubt. I think it was a shame Ernesto did not have much of a prescence last year.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • redddraggon
    Flanners1 wrote:
    I am glad 'nago are back on the ProTour

They're not. BBox will be Pro Continental next season
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    oops cheers
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • alanmcn1
    Moray Gub wrote:

Thats becuase you speak shite most of the time.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gub, mostly I can't see eyet to eye with your posts, but that is good scottish humour (I'm from Paisley) at it's best!!!!!!