dx magicshine

Paulkingk
Paulkingk Posts: 689
edited November 2010 in MTB general
I recently purchased this light as i did not have enough money to speend £150-£200 on lights and after going for a quick blast tonight on the way home i have to say so far so good.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149
I read a product strip down by a man called trout? and i was wondering how to contact this man about the mods he carried out on one to ensure they worked ok.
Also has anybody used one for a long period ? and is the battery waterproof? if not any ideas on how i can waterproof it?
:roll: Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There has been updates to the model - some of the 'problems' have been addressed.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    troutie (at) blueyonder.co.uk
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • troutie is a member on here now! and if you search for a thread by dazzza in this section about the troutlite you'll see him pop up in there!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • I ordered my Magicshine on the 4th October from DX and it arrived yesterday. 8)

I took it to Coed Y Brenin for a test run last night with the magicshine on the bars and a Tesco torch on my helmet.

I am very impressed with it, it came fully charged and ready to go.

The difference between this and my old lights are staggering, easily bright enough to go at a decent speed rpound CYB, so ideal for me really.

The battery didn't go flat with over two hours of full beam, so I'm sure it will last the 3 hours it states on the box.

To your question 'is it waterproof', it definantly was last night. About half way round it started absolutely chucking it down, had no problems. I'll probably just stick a small plastic bag over the battery pack next time just to be safe though.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Does the handlebar clamp fit OS bars?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • I've had mine for a few months now, still loving it :D

As of Monday, I'll be using it (on low) for commuting too.

The light comes complete with 2x 'O' rings, one to fit 31.8 bars and the other to fit 25.4.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I wish people would stop telling me how good they are.

I ordered mine 10 dyas ago and can't wait any longer :roll:

I want my new toy NOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!

Sorry spoilt brat tantrum over :wink:
  • BlackSpur wrote:
    Does the handlebar clamp fit OS bars?

Yes it does, and the wee o-ring mount is a thing of simple-but-very-effective design.

It is a bloody fabulous light.

Kev
  • Has anyone been clobbered by customs when ordering this light?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • I've heard the stories, but never actually seen any evidence of it, can't happen that often.

My guess is that you'd be ok so long as you are only ordering one.
  • Has anyone been clobbered by customs when ordering this light?

I was fine, it clearly states 'gift' on the packaging so in theory it should be exempt from customs :lol:
  • Cheers!

And has anyone managed to securely waterproof the battery?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Didn't know that it wasn't waterproof already :shock: .

Been out with mine in pouring rain, come back absolutely soaked and not had any probs.

I guess if you were really worried about it you could wrap it in cling film or something maybe?
  • duckers
    duckers Posts: 167
    Trout mostly lives on the singletrackworld forums and has been busy knocking out some of his own high quality lights recently.

I have a dx light and its spot on, but agree that the battery does not look very waterproof. At the risk of sounding like a bodger I used cling film, a coin bag, and wide brown packing tape to make mine ultra watertight!!

For £50 its a bargin and definitely comparable to lights 3 or 4 times its price, I am going to try out some different reflectors on it to see if I can throw a bit more light forward.

Mne took 3 weeks from ordering to hitting my door, but I think they're currently struggling to keep up with demand and its always out of stock. DX now also do a version with a head/helmet mount, but I would go for the standard bike version (SKU 25149) as it has a better charger.
  • If I didn't already have one of these, I'd definately be considering one of those lights from the trout, they just look astonishing.

I don't mind paying 3x the price of the magicshine for a light 3x better.
    Not going to pay 3x the price just so it says Hope or Lupine or something on the side though
    [/tight]
  • My stripdown was from a very early one

Tis a good light and the issues from the first lot have been sorted to a degree that has made it better .

the battery would benefit from putting inside a sealable sandwich bag or a condom as there have been reports of failures after wet rides and they are not sealed at all .
    the circuit on the battery is very vunerable

But for £50 they must have sold shedloads
    and must have taken a fair % of sales off the main players

there has also been good feedback of replacements for faulty ones being quick .
    they usually fail on the first ride
  • Cool - got one on order. Can't wait for it to arrive. 8)
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • aaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhh.

I've lost my 'o' ring that secures the light to the bars!

Don't know what I've done with it, I've looked everywhere.

Does anyone have a Magicshine and use standard size bars? If so would you like to swap your oversize (the big one) rubber 'o' ring for my standard (the small one) size one so you have got a spare?
  • If no-one has a spare one, just go get another o-ring from the local DIY/ plumbing supply shop.

The one for oversized bars is roughly 40mm internal and 50mm external diameter.
  • If no-one has a spare one, just go get another o-ring from the local DIY/ plumbing supply shop.

The one for oversized bars is roughly 40mm internal and 50mm external diameter.

Good call, thanks. :D I'll go and try and get one tomorow.

Pity nowhere is open today, I'm doing the Cimachx tonight on the way home from work, I've got elastic bands, hair bands, cable ties and electric tape with me, I'm sure I can fashion something :lol:

Would still like to do a swap with someone, if you're running standard bars you could have a spare :D I'll even pay your postage!
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Isn't there a b&q or homebase near you?
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • No, nothing!

I live in deepest darkest Wales, from where I live it would be about an hours drive and I'm working all day. :roll:

There's a good hardware store in the town I work in but it's shut today.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Then it's rubber bands/cable ties for you today.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Ye, don't forget the hair bands, I'm hopefull they will work ok :D
  • Another thing, I have just plugged it in to be charged (I have used it once but it came charged) and the charger has just got a small led light that is green, probably just to say it is charging.

How do I tell it is fully charged?
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Green means it's fully charged - mine came charged as well. If it's flat it starts red then turns green when it's done.
  • That's strange, I used it for ages the other night! It can't be still fully charged!
  • Anyone know if you can get spare battery packs for this torch? :?
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • anoyone got a trail beam shot using this light?
  • Anyone know if you can get spare battery packs for this torch? :?
    One of the other current light threads had a link to a site selling Magicshine spares.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.