Nick Griffin on question time

Comments

• Vino
    Vino Posts: 184
    softlad wrote:
    one thing is for certain - it will be the most watched question time, possibly ever

true - normally, Dimblebore winds me up so much by interrupting everyone that I have to switch off, but I will try and resist tonight...

and you know the bnp will advertise that fact and try to spin it to thier favour, one good thing is the demographic of the average BNP voter doesnt watch BBC2 let alone Newsnight

Who ees the average BNP voter?

AVE ELITIST CALVES
  • softlad wrote:
    one thing is for certain - it will be the most watched question time, possibly ever

true - normally, Dimblebore winds me up so much by interrupting everyone that I have to switch off, but I will try and resist tonight...

This is related to something that's worrying me. I agree that Griffin has a right to be heard and hope that he can be exposed as the grubby little racist he is, but if the other panellists (particularly the politicians) are just going to clamour over him every time he opens his mouth then they'll end up looking like w****rs themselves. Politicians aren't exactly everyones' favourite people at the moment anyway, so if they act like petulant kids as they so often do when 'debating' on tv (talking over their opponent, point-scoring rather than addressing the issues etc), then Griffin might not come out of it too badly.

Me, I wish they had Will Self on the panel.
  • pedylan wrote:
    Black-Country-BNP-Home.jpg

This photo was taken from their website.

Their platform of discrimination, racism, opposition to multiculturalism, religious bigotry, perceived sense of injustice and simple minded hatred apparently doesn't leave any scope to recognise irony.

"Black Country" is i would have thought a waking nightmare for this ugly little party's ugly little members and voters.

I was at Stourbridge the other week for the Stourbridge v Hucknall FA Cup tie and at half time this local was talking to myself and my mate and in all seriousness came out with the statement,

"You know why you're not winning, it's 'cos your ethnics not pass to your white lads".

We were mortified at the comment 'cos it was patently not true, it was because we were cr@p.

He never made the distinction about our 6'2" Ukrainian defender Sucharewzch though.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Private Eye made me larf ...

1245_big.jpg
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    nasahapley wrote:
    Me, I wish they had Will Self on the panel.

+1 to that. Quality debater and an extremely intelligent bloke.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • DavidBelcher
    Crapaud wrote:
    Private Eye made me larf ...

1245_big.jpg

Good old Private Eye, don't read it quite as often as I probably ought to. Might have to buy the next issue to see what their take on the outcome of tonight's broadcast will be.

David
  • Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • DavidBelcher

Seem to recall that Griffin was put through the mill on Andrew Marr's Sunday morning programme a couple of months back. No great fan of the BNP to begin with, this interview was more than enough to convince me that he's a narrow-minded, blinkered bigot in charge of a one-trick pony of a fringe party.

David
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I do think if the BNP were to get their image right and get away from the extreme element they'd become a viable party in this country such is the dissolution with the current political parties.

I'm interested in what he has to say as I feel most opinions are feed through the media on this.

This is a democratic country and we all have the right to free speech regardless of the views these may have.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    edited October 2009
    Hopefully he'll be sat in the middle of very intelligent liberals,
    unlikely - Jack Straw and a Tory will be on.

although Bonnie Greer should be good - I hope she doesn't lose it though...i know i would...i'd probably end up punching him!
  • Porgy
    softlad wrote:
    whether you like them or not, the BNP is a legitimate political organisation according to the current rules governing political parties. In that sense, Mr Griffin has every right to appear on the programme...

+1

and any democrat who says otherwise is a hypocrite
  • Porgy
    Like UKIP, his party craves the oxygen of publicity in order to attract disaffected voters who can't see the point of voting for the mainstream parties any more, since there no longer seems any real difference between them.

But you have to ask - who's fault is that?

the BNP are just taking advantage of a situation - the main parties are out of touch with their memberships and their electorates - democracy is failing - fascism is the natural outcome. :cry:
  • Porgy

even i was thinking about watching it - though i do have Dark Star on DVD....decisions decisions

For anyone who feels really strongly I believe there's a protest organised outside the BBC in London - though as the email came form an anarchist group it failed to mention the time and address of the building being picketed. :roll:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Porgy wrote:

although Bonnie Greer should be good - I hope she doesn't lose it though...i know i would...i'd probably end up punching him!

I don't know, I think the last time she was on, she described prostitutes, drug dealers and muggers as "all the interesting people" in Times Square.
  • Porgy
    johnfinch wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

I don't know, I think the last time she was on, she described prostitutes, drug dealers and muggers as "all the interesting people" in Times Square.

So who are the interesting people in Times Square?

I know who I was looking at when I was there :wink:
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Straight up the alleged suffering ex-corporal was called Chalky White for the purposes of the "party political broadcast" and yes it was comical, worthy of Mitchell and Webb, can you imagine it at the Grandmother Job Trials, and now what do you do dear?

Er make party political broadcasts for the BNP.....

And the point of that is dear........
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    The only BNP policy I am in agreement with is the stopping of further immigration into this country, and that would not normally be enough to make me vote for them because of their other policies on race.

However, if QT is disrupted to the extent that they are shouted down and denied a voice then I will definately vote for them at the next election on principle. The loudmouth tossers who try and stifle our right to listen to all legitimate opinion, however disagreeable they might find it, are a far bigger threat to democracy than any fringe political party.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    The loudmouth tossers who try and stifle our right to listen to all legitimate opinion, however disagreeable they might find it, are a far bigger threat to democracy than any fringe political party.

I think your logic collapses if you consider the outcome of your argument.

Loudmouth tossers, themselves a threat to democracy, disgust voters who, appalled at the this threat, vote for the fringe political party. Sufficient numbers do so to elect representatitives of previously fringe party to government. In power, the previosuly fringe party are free to exercise their mandate which is after all the purpose of the democratic process.

A vote for the BNP is therefore likley to have consequences. Don't exercise it unless you're prepared to see their manifesto carried out - at local, regional, national or European level.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • finchy
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    The only BNP policy I am in agreement with is the stopping of further immigration into this country, and that would not normally be enough to make me vote for them because of their other policies on race.

I ask you the same question as Mark Walker - who would do all the work that the native population can't or won't do once the economy improves? One of the few dentist practices in my area that can take on new patients is staffed entirely by foreigners who come here, work for a few years and then go back home. If we stopped immigration, then once they're gone, who will take their place? Seeing a dentist around here is hard enough without stopping people to come and do the work.

And given the ageing population and levels of public debt should we a) reduce pensions or b) make people work until they're about 70?
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say, but only if the questions put to the panel are legitimate political issues that affect the population. If ithe programme gets drawn into a debate about whether the BNP are racist and Nick Griffin is polarised on one issue then it will become a non event.

I agree that the BNP do have some worthy policies, as do all parties, but the base cause of the party is disagreeable. A number of parties want to limit immigration, as do many voters. A lot of people I have spoken to believe Holland has it right:
    Can you be of use to the country?
    Can you speak the language?
    Do you know the history and culture of the country?
    Will you integrate with the population?

If all these questions can be answered with a yes then fine. If not, is there a damn good reason you should be allowed in to live?

The fact is that Nick Griffin is an elected representative of the people of this country and is entitled to be heard. It is also our right to disagree once we have heard him.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    The issue of the BNP appearing on the BBC isn't particularly new for this month.

It became and issue as soon as the BNP got their seats in the EU. That immediately entitled them to being treated as legitmate.

This kind of thing was always on the cards as soon as they were elected. The whole debate on "should they/shouldn't they" appear on TV misses the point. They shouldn't have been given the chance not to.

Sure people can talk about how it's the politicians fault for creating the dissolusionment which led to the drop in votes for the mainstream parties, letting the BNP in etc etc, and that some votes for the BNP were protest votes etc, etc, but there are many other independant parties! Why not vote for them instead!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I take your point, Pedylan.

But the reason BNP candidates have success in local and European elections is because of the blanket refusal of mainstream parties and the media to discuss peoples concerns on immigration. For over forty years anyone who tried to raise the issue has been shouted down as racist, and if you use the term describe anyone who doesn't share the PC view on it it becomes meaningless and people no longer give a damn about the label.

Contrast this with the equally batty policies of the SWP and the WRP, both of whom have been free to express their opinions openly as they please. Their blueprint for the political system they would impose is widely understood and so completely out of touch with most people's thinking that they couldn't get anyone elected in a month of Sundays. The same would happen to the BNP if they were allowed the freedom to publicly air their full range of policies and the consequences could be discussed and understood. As it stands, they are likely to get a strong sympathy vote from areas which have been swamped by immigrants and who see no other party prepared to call a halt to it.

It is vitally important that they be given the airtime proportunate to their given electoral success. Trying to drive them underground will be counter productive in the long run.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Smokin Joe wrote:

However, if QT is disrupted to the extent that they are shouted down and denied a voice then I will definately vote for them at the next election on principle. The loudmouth tossers who try and stifle our right to listen to all legitimate opinion, however disagreeable they might find it, are a far bigger threat to democracy than any fringe political party.

then youd be voting for a bunch of nazi thugs whose ultimate ambition is the introduction of the large size gas oven
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • teagar
    guilliano wrote:

I agree that the BNP do have some worthy policies, as do all parties, but the base cause of the party is disagreeable. A number of parties want to limit immigration, as do many voters. A lot of people I have spoken to believe Holland has it right:

If all these questions can be answered with a yes then fine. If not, is there a damn good reason you should be allowed in to live?

I can think of plenty of people who are born and bred UK citizens who don't meet those requirements

Just because the Dutch have a stereotype of being liberal doesn't mean they actually are.

Gert Wilders got a ridiculous amount of seats in the EU, and he's a professional bell end.
  • guilliano
    teagar wrote:
    guilliano wrote:

I can think of plenty of people who are born and bred UK citizens who don't meet those requirements

Just because the Dutch have a stereotype of being liberal doesn't mean they actually are.

Gert Wilders got a ridiculous amount of seats in the EU, and he's a professional bell end.

I can think of plenty of people who were born and bred here who don't meet those requirements too. But the fact that they were born and bred here (regardless of race, colour or cultural history) should count for something.

Limiting immigration has become a majorly taboo subject and anyone who says it should be debated seems to shouted down as racist, but the fact is that as a country we are becoming insolvent. If limiting immigration helps to stem this in some way (forcing people to take jobs t"hat only an immigrant will take" or stopping ALL benefits thus saving money that you and I pay in tax then I am personally all for it.

As I said before, I just hope the programme doesn't end up with everyone shouting "racist" and allows some reasoned discussion on some of the subjects that everyone is afraid to tackle on PC grounds
  • teagar
    guilliano wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    guilliano wrote:

I can think of plenty of people who were born and bred here who don't meet those requirements too. But the fact that they were born and bred here (regardless of race, colour or cultural history) should count for something.

Limiting immigration has become a majorly taboo subject and anyone who says it should be debated seems to shouted down as racist, but the fact is that as a country we are becoming insolvent. If limiting immigration helps to stem this in some way (forcing people to take jobs t"hat only an immigrant will take" or stopping ALL benefits thus saving money that you and I pay in tax then I am personally all for it.

As I said before, I just hope the programme doesn't end up with everyone shouting "racist" and allows some reasoned discussion on some of the subjects that everyone is afraid to tackle on PC grounds

The immigration issue has become a vehicle for people to push racist agendas. That doesn't mean it necessairly is racist but Griffin is using it as such.

I cannot remotely agree with you there. Where you're born is pure chance. It's not like I told my mother to have me born in the Netherlands is it?
  • finchy
    teagar wrote:

What's the salary for that then?
  • guilliano
    teagar wrote:
    guilliano wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    guilliano wrote:

The immigration issue has become a vehicle for people to push racist agendas. That doesn't mean it necessairly is racist but Griffin is using it as such.

I cannot remotely agree with you there. Where you're born is pure chance. It's not like I told my mother to have me born in the Netherlands is it?

Not really pure chance in an age of cheap international travel with a number of countries having open borders. How many people of Senegalise descent are born in France? How many people of Somalian descent have been born in Holland? The number of people with dual nationality is not "pure blind luck". It is through calculated population movement.
  • teagar
    johnfinch wrote:
    teagar wrote:

What's the salary for that then?

The things he's come out with and said in the Dutch parliament is just silly. He acts like a bellend. You just need to see everyone's reaction to what he's saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTb4uJ_5wpg
  • teagar
    guilliano wrote:
    teagar wrote:

Not really pure chance in an age of cheap international travel with a number of countries having open borders. How many people of Senegalise descent are born in France? How many people of Somalian descent have been born in Holland? The number of people with dual nationality is not "pure blind luck". It is through calculated population movement.

So I have a choice on where I'm born?

Eh?

You're confusing the issue.

Since I have no choice on where I'm born, it shouldn't therefore have a bearing on where I am allowed to live.