Nick Griffin on question time

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
Tomorrow night.

Do you think he should appear on the long running prog?

I believe he should. We live in a democracy (allegedly) and there is a set down criteria for appearing on the show which depending on your POV sadly/fortunately the BNP now fulfill. Let him appear as is his right to (under BBC rules) and hopefully he/BNP will be exposed for what they are.

I think the reason the BNP have gained the votes is because a lot of working class people are feeling alienated/marginalized/ignored/taken for granted, call it what you will by the major mainstream parties. And while they don't neccessarily agree with the BNP as such they vote for them out of frustration and as a protest.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    definately - nothing he could say (even though he is quite a good politician at putting spin on things) will actually have a positive impact on the bnp as long as the other participants are willing to get to him. Its a shame someone like william haigh isnt on there, he would cut him to pieces, lets hope jack straw does
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Agreed.

Hopefully he'll be sat in the middle of very intelligent liberals, who'll bombard him with intelligent argument, then he'll explode and blurt the 'truth', just like Jack Nicolson in the 'You can't handle the truth' scene
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    +1 to much of what's already been said here; hopefully intelligent debate will win the day and leave Griffin's reputation, and that of his seemingly one-issue party, in tatters.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    While the mainstream parties ignore peoples concerns on immigration (population forecast to grow by 10 million in next two decades, mostly through immigration, according to the BBC today) extremist parties will pick up votes and seats from those who feel their opinions are being brushed aside as racist.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I agree that he should be allowed on the show, if only to allow him to be cut down in full view of the public by intelligent, reasoned arguement.

The point about the BNP picking up support from a marginalised electorate doesn't hold water. They are not picking up support, the main parties are just losing it. Voters are not changing parties, they are just not voting full stop to show ALL parties the lack of faith and trust that they have. Unfortunately this means that despite only recieving the same level of support as usual, the BNP % of votes did increase.

Whatever people think of his appearance on the programme, it will make very interesting viewing. I just hope he blurts out something he shouldn't in the face of antagonism and is taken from the stage under arrest just before the end of the programme
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Norman Tebbit was asked this question on Question Time years ago, his response: -

"Why give the scum credance?"
  • guilliano wrote:
    I agree that he should be allowed on the show, if only to allow him to be cut down in full view of the public by intelligent, reasoned arguement.

The point about the BNP picking up support from a marginalised electorate doesn't hold water. They are not picking up support, the main parties are just losing it. Voters are not changing parties, they are just not voting full stop to show ALL parties the lack of faith and trust that they have. Unfortunately this means that despite only recieving the same level of support as usual, the BNP % of votes did increase.

Whatever people think of his appearance on the programme, it will make very interesting viewing. I just hope he blurts out something he shouldn't in the face of antagonism and is taken from the stage under arrest just before the end of the programme

Not to be argumental, for the sake of it but, I know totally fair minded people who have voted BNP in local elections for the very reason I posted. Wehter they would do it at a general election though is another matter.
    Tail end Charlie

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I don't doubt that some new voters went with them, but just as many left them. My point was that the rest of the parties lost a lot of support that wasn't gained from elsewhere.

The fact they are appearing on a mainsteam political programme only reflects the fact that they also appear on our mainsteam political polls. The arguement last week was that this lends them a respectability and a legitimacy they don't warrant. I don't agree with that. I think it gives the other parties representatives and the audience to expose them for what they are. If they are not able to do that then it simply shows that the people sent to beat Nick Griffin in a public forum are simply not up to their jobs (which wouldn't come as a surprise TBH)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Its dodgy, but yes he should be allowed on, due democratic process and all that. the worrying thing is though, i have friends who now when they get the BNP leaflets in they read or glance through them, instead of binning them straight away like they used to. Scary stuff. :?
  • It's a fair point Guilliano makes, as more rational people become "turned off" by mainstream politics for numerous possible reasons fringe activists will have mor influence be they right/left wing.
    Tail end Charlie

• You don't defeat ideas you disagree with and find objectionable by drivig them underground or outlawing them. You shine the light of truth on them and let people see them for what they are.

Likewise, you don't deal with extremism by telling everybody not to listen to the bad people and treating voters like they're stupid. You have to make extremists play you on your ground, IE the democratic process. Soon enough they realise that they have to compromise and play the game to get anywhere and in a few years, they're just another political party

I really resent the idea that Peter Hain has that the British public are so stupid that merely seeing griffins face will turn them all into Fascists. It hasn't made anyone vote for the Lib Dems, for example :wink:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Hopefully the other participants will expose the particularly big BNP lie - that they are a party of the working classes. They aren't. They are a right wing party who, despite their alleged pro-working class sympathies, have stated in electoral manifestos that elected union leaders will be replaced by "patriotic" leaders - i.e. the workers will lose the right to choose who they want to represent them in labour issues.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    whether you like them or not, the BNP is a legitimate political organisation according to the current rules governing political parties. In that sense, Mr Griffin has every right to appear on the programme...
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Who is Nick Griffin?

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    I reckon Jack Straw will be good actually, I ve seen him tear people apart on that show before, Its a shame we no longer have so many politicians like that (the ones that prefer the say nothi9ng because saying anything might make me look stupid approach put me right off!)

I'm not sure the "legitimising" argument for them not appearing hols water just because I reckon those that would vote for them will always vote for them, regardless as to weather or not they are viewed as "legitimate" anyway, All this will do will show people how ridiculous they are (we hope!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • softlad
    edited October 2009
    pneumatic wrote:
    Who is Nick Griffin?

have you not read the thread, or are you being deliberately obtuse..? Just wondering whether to laugh or not...
  • It is a funny world we live in that people feel threatened by a party that has 6% of the vote and is run by leader (emocratically elected) who espouses race hate, yet do not complain when on the same program is a man (democratically elected) who actively, ACTIVELY voted to go to war and drop bombs on innocent muslim iraqi children. Brecht said that we shouldn't pity a country without leaders we should pity the country that needs them,and its hard to disagree with that; they're all criminals.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pneumatic
    softlad wrote:
    pneumatic wrote:
    Who is Nick Griffin?

have you not read the thread, or are you being deliberately obtuse..? Just wondering whether to laugh or not...

Sorry: "who is Nick Griffin? :wink: "

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Who else is on the panel tomorrow?
    Tail end Charlie

• pneumatic
    Who else is on the panel tomorrow?

Sauron, Freddie Kruger and the Queen out of Snow White

:wink:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• pneumatic wrote:
    Who else is on the panel tomorrow?

Sauron, Freddie Kruger and the Queen out of Snow White

:wink:

That's a bit of a suprise, they usually have five on the panel.
    Tail end Charlie

• pneumatic
    Voldemort may turn up, too, but it is supposed to be a secret.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• softlad
    pneumatic wrote:

Sorry: "who is Nick Griffin? :wink: "

Nick Griffin is Hermione's mate in 'Harry Potter and the Temple of Doom'.......
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    some american liberal female (black) author which could be interesting - cant remember her name though and had never heard of her
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Radio 4 had a BNP chap on not so long ago, one of the mid evening programs (Moral Maze maybe.)

It was embarressing to listen to. Some other panellists from a range of views (ie a mail columnist) sounded reasoned and willing to argue, this chap - a prominent member (party lawyer I seem to think) sounded like a bloke from the pub you never go in. He was rude, didn't listen to argument, actually went off on a tirade featuring phrases like Jewish Conspiracy. For me it summed up why the BNP isn't invited onto grown-up tv and radio. I could imagine why his rhetoric appealed to the BNPs core vote, I don't think they don't deserve a platform.

Nick Griffin is a much more polished performer tbh, I guess he's up against it each time he puts his face above the parapit and has learned how to duck at the right moment.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    softlad wrote:
    whether you like them or not, the BNP is a legitimate political organisation according to the current rules governing political parties. In that sense, Mr Griffin has every right to appear on the programme...

Actually, until they have changed their illegal membership rules, they are technically not allowed to represent anyone as a political party.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • softlad
    MattC59 wrote:
    Actually, until they have changed their illegal membership rules, they are technically not allowed to represent anyone as a political party.

and yet strangely, they have had those rules since their inception and nobody has thought to mention it until now....??

the ruling actually stated that they are not allowed to recruit any more members until the constitution is amended - it said nothing about representation. They remain a legal political organisation in the eyes of the law in as much as they have not been proscribed...
  • pneumatic wrote:
    Who is Nick Griffin?

Nick Griffin is the leader of The BNP and has gone on record as saying that the chimney's at Auschwitz were built after the war as part of a secret liberal agenda. And when asked what should be done about foreign nationals who legally live in the UK, he said they should all be put on a plane and dropped over Africa. The man is a total pr!ck.
    The BNP is a fascist supporting, pro-nazi organisation hiding behind the facade of being a legitimate political party.
    Like Christianity, the BNP prey on the poor, needy, educational underclasses who are open to anything because they feel nobody is paying them any credence.
    Don't get me wrong, Peter Hain said some daft things about all of this. His early political career lies within the communist/marxist parties. Just like Hitler, Stalin was no angel either.
    Griffin should appear on Question Time purely to expose him for the lying, rascist, ill-informed cretin he really is.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    This is gonna be great TV! Might even stay up late to watch. Wish they had Jan Moir on too.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    The other panelists are Bonnie Greer, Baroness Warsi, Jack Straw and Chris Huhne. Griffin has already complained about the inclusion of Warsi and Greer as "attempts to stir up trouble":

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 04757.html

Imagine! Allowing black and Asian people to debate with a certified racist... outrageous stuff :roll:

Personally I think it's a good idea to expose this man as the knuckle-dragging cretin he is. Debate rationally and address each of his points, and you'll eventually give himself enough rope to hang himself.