Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Cheers Roastie. Did it meself last night, took about an hour and half to trace everything and scalpel it.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Cheers Roastie. Did it meself last night, took about an hour and half to trace everything and scalpel it.
    Very impressive indeed!

ps. Is that the carbon post with the slippy problem? It'd be identical to my post (originally off my Genesis) that snapped. :shock:
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    That's the very one, picked up some carbon assembly grease for it yesterday. I'm now more than a little worried, but since I don't have any plans to go cyclocrossing anytime in the near future I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
  • Oooh, nice looking stickers Brun!

I'm wanting to do something with mine too, although more in line with my color scheme
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Put some new batteries in my Mars 3.0. Had to do it twice as the first set fresh from the packet were ni-mh and didn't realise it :oops: Alkalines went in the light and the ni-mh's into the charger.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I just spent 15 minutes sticking strips of black reflective tape onto my bad boy. a thick strip up the rear Blumells mudguard, two strips on rear triangles, and strips on the top tube and forks. Stealth Black daytime. Shiny strips in headlights at night in addition to lights.

GT85 under the front of my Brooks B17 to stop a squeek. Silent now.

pumped up the tyres and airzound. bike back on Cycloc in hallway. Sweet.
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • Made my new pride and joy into a christmas tree of flashing red and white LED's, put a new Brooks saddle onto it and rejigged my toolkit a bit.

Fixed the lights on the young un's bike and gave it a little once over ready for his cycling proficiency at school on Friday, asset stripped an old hybrid frame in the shed and put my Birdy to bed for the winter.

I need to order some new seatpost blocks for that as I start a ride at 6 foot tall and end it like some circus act pedalling with my knees round my ears and my buttocks inches from the ground.
  • kevsterjw
    kevsterjw Posts: 45
    edited October 2009
    ;;
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Not really started yet, but fettling planned:
    - complete stripdown of MTB to component parts
    - fit new cassette, BB, chain and hope to get away with that otherwise complete new transmission required
    - grease / replace head bearings to get rid of marked notchiness

Optionally, relegate existing frame to spares box and replace with something springy and steel ;-)

Yes, I've tweaked my leg and can't really ride at the mo !
    Misguided Idealist
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Swapped the bottle cage over, after apparently the old one decided that London roads were just too damn much for it.

Side note, snapped bottle cages are the noisiest thing *ever*.

Of course, the one I've borrowed off another bike doesn't quite go, and obviously it'll have to return to that bike. I wonder if I'm now morally obliged to buy a Carbon Fibre one. Hmm.
  • Took off l-bend bar ends and like a muppet got new lighter straights only of course the attachment system eats into my grips - doh.

Cue more hacksaw treatment tonight. Very weird to ride without either today.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Complete de-gunking of cassette + re-indexing of the derailleur + Tweak of the front mech = new bike. Yay for no more annoying noises 8)

As it was my birthday over the weekend, I got a load of bike related stuff to play with:
    - Gore Tool winter gloves
    - Gore Phantom jacket
    - Fibre flare rear light
    - Dealextreme front light
    - Also converted my Niteflux visionstick into a head torch.

Will be looking at getting some black 3M tape for the front forks, so whenever it starts getting really cold, I'm completely kitted out.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Saturday morning of "messing about" in the garage according to SWMBO.

New front and rear lights on the Allez (Vista front and Cateye rear), plus new pump (Specialized airtool mini) and stem mounted computer (Specialized speedzone) - this is looking more likely than ever that I'm getting ready for winter commuting - Lord help us .....

Also put new front (Electron) and rear lights (Cateye), computer (speedzone) and pump (airtool again) on the Litespeed ...

Haven't even looked at the TriCross yet ......

:? :? :?
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    took out damaged link in chain, then forgot to test if it was still long enough to fit when using big ring (and it subsequently broke this morning)

D'oH!!!!!! :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Fitted Edge 705 computer at the week end, that was fairly easy, but no one told me that I was going to lose a significant proportion of my life trying to register the thing, down load the software, get maps from the DVD onto the device and generally get it going. Bit different to a TOM TOM.

Neat bit of kit now it seems to be working!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hey guys,

How do I find out what size bottom bracket I have on my Cayo Expert 2008? It's 68mm by ???mm - I can't find any documentation online with the spec, so what do I need to measure on the bike itself?

Or, if anyone else has a Cayo, can they tell me :)
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Not me personally but the Commander is currently sortng out the breaks on my road bike which seem a bit twitchy at the moment.

I have to admit if it involves breaking and gearing I don't get involved too much and leave that to the expertise of the Commander. anything else I will give a go and my commuting bike has had a few added extras which I have done myself :)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Changed the headset bearings on winter bike, and gave it a general clean up and lube. Then broke a pedal off, so now it needs new cranks. Sighs.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Roastie
    Blondie: It will be 68mm, and almost surely a British thread (Italian threading is all but dead and pretty daft to boot).
  • biondino wrote:
    Hey guys,

How do I find out what size bottom bracket I have on my Cayo Expert 2008? It's 68mm by ???mm - I can't find any documentation online with the spec, so what do I need to measure on the bike itself?

Across the BB shell basically. Looking at the spec on Wiggle (yes they still have it for the 2008 bike) it looks like an FSA external BB same as my Jake. As long as the axle on the crank is all one diameter you can replace it with any Shimano external bearing BB (or an FSA one). As you are disassembling the existing set up pay attention to the location of any spacers and refit them in the same place as before with the new BB. I got the impression (from my LBS mechanics when they sold me the replacement BB) that most external BB installs don't need any spacers at all (unless you are dealing with an older frame).

Mike
  • Roastie
    Only minor fettling for me. Prepped my 'Crosser on Saturday for the race yesterday, then last night fitted a set of SKS mudguards to a friend's bike, and had a bash as truing his dead rear wheel. Sadly the rim is bent - so that is the end of it.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    mudcovered wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Hey guys,

Across the BB shell basically. Looking at the spec on Wiggle (yes they still have it for the 2008 bike) it looks like an FSA external BB same as my Jake. As long as the axle on the crank is all one diameter you can replace it with any Shimano external bearing BB (or an FSA one). As you are disassembling the existing set up pay attention to the location of any spacers and refit them in the same place as before with the new BB. I got the impression (from my LBS mechanics when they sold me the replacement BB) that most external BB installs don't need any spacers at all (unless you are dealing with an older frame).

Mike

Thanks Roastie - the 68mm bit was the bit I knew - it's the axle length I don't!

And thanks also mudcovered - however, due to a purchasing cock-up, I have a brand new FSA SLK Carbon crankset sitting on my desk, but it's ISIS so it requires a new BB. Hence my need to know the axle length.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I'd guess 108 I used this length on my last road bike.

Double or triple chainset?
  • Sigurd
    Sigurd Posts: 38
    Success: New cassette and chain, using new chain whip and special cassette socket. Fixed the long-broken derrailleur indexing (I have a 7 speed XT thumbshifter) and managed a bodge to re-attach my broken front derrailleur.

Failure: Ride it up the road to test it all - middle chainring is too worn to take any load and slips like a freewheel ratchet. Off to order a replacement. Bah.

Flushed by the relative success of this task, I set about dismantling and cleaning the rear brake caliper of my motorbike. Amidst a sea of brake fluid I managed to pull a muscle in my arm undoing a joining bolt. Result: loosened bolt and enfeebled arm. Today I caught the bus to work.

Lessons learned:

1. Check for wear on chainrings

2. Must do more upper body work
    1992 Dave Yates Diabolo

"The future is dark, the present burdensome; only the past, dead and finished, bears contemplation. Those who look upon it have survived it: they are its product and its victors"
  • Roastie
    biondino wrote:
    Thanks Roastie - the 68mm bit was the bit I knew - it's the axle length I don't!

And thanks also mudcovered - however, due to a purchasing fool-up, I have a brand new FSA SLK Carbon crankset sitting on my desk, but it's ISIS so it requires a new BB. Hence my need to know the axle length.
    Oh my duh! Sorry.

Have you tried the FSA site? (I would, but have no pdf reader where I am) I wouldn't rely on guessing the right BB length - these can vary quite a bit depending on the design of the crankset.
  • Roastie wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    And thanks also mudcovered - however, due to a purchasing fool-up, I have a brand new FSA SLK Carbon crankset sitting on my desk, but it's ISIS so it requires a new BB. Hence my need to know the axle length.
    Oh my duh! Sorry.
    The FSA web site says that the SLK uses mega-exo same as what you are replacing and I couldn't find any link from there that might give a clue as to the right axle length for an ISIS cartridge version of the crankset as FSA don't even acknowledge its existence :(.

Mike
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Thorough clean, relube. Fixed p*****ture. Toyed with idea of stripping down rear hub for pre-winter service, but couldn't face thought of chasing ball-bearings around the floor, so contented myself with removal of all crap from cassette, and resetting brakes.

Looks like a new drivetrain might be on the cards in the next few weeks though, it's all starting to look a little worn!
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Fitted Edge 705 computer at the week end, that was fairly easy, but no one told me that I was going to lose a significant proportion of my life trying to register the thing, down load the software, get maps from the DVD onto the device and generally get it going. Bit different to a TOM TOM.

Neat bit of kit now it seems to be working!

Lucky Bugger :evil:
    I was talking about getting one today on the plane back down south to Mrs. She said put it on your Birthday/Christmas list. I Googled it when I got home...err I don't think it's gonna happen . Nobody's buying kids these days are they? :roll:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Roastie
    biondino wrote:
    I learnt something about ISIS. It is a consistent standard ITO width, so ISIS for double is always 108mm, MTB always 113mm and road triple always 118mm.
    FSA ISIS doc
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    During my lunch time pootle I moved my saddle fore/aft position so my knees are more in-line with the pedal axle several times, changed my right cleat so it's further from the bottom bracket.

Then messed with my seat post height up then down by 1cm both seemed to make no difference perhaps I need to ride further.

BUT!!! I did discover something very odd, my chain has been rubbing on the front derailleur for some time, not all the way around the pedal stroke just as it would seem at one point, so I had a really good look, slowly turning the pedals backwards and yep at one point the big ring is noticeable nearer to the front derailleur, now I know the BB is straight in the frame could it be possible that the big ring is bent in some way?

Having bought some prolink chain lube I thought I'd give it a go on the single speed we'll see if it really works.

All bikes inflated to correct tyres pressure.

Saddle & handle bars straighten on Mrs itboffin hybrid only to discover the front brake has lost it's oil and as you'd expect doesn't work.

Busy day really
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.