Swinley Forest / The Lookout

Comments

• timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    flamedude wrote:
    I've seen the weirdest stuff out there in those woods.....

Yeah? Cough up... I hope it isn't going to be bloody Harry Potter related!
  • tuxpoo
    tuxpoo Posts: 138
    I have never seen anything "really" strange... But i do remeber something about a witches coven practicing at the devils highway (near seagul) in the local news around 1985. The complaint was about them lighting fires in the woods and causing damage... tbh even then no one cared about the "witchcraft" bit.

seen a few "courting couples" in my time. :shock:

Never seen the crowthorne puma.. I hear it only likes MTBs with carbon frames as the ally gets stuck in its teeth.

tux
  • Can someone help me with some of the names at Swinley... I've been riding there for a few years and whilst I still seem to find new trails, there are a few favourites which I'm sure are named...

Firstly (and I hope my descriptions make sense), there's a route which runs from a Green bench (Pip's bench) on about 15 mins of winding singletrack across 5 or 6 fireroads, ending up at the jump gully... may go a bit further, but that seems to be the natural conclusions...

Secondly, there's a rollercoastery bit - starts in the trees with a drop down to the fireroad, followed by a short climb, short stoney descent, short climb etc...

Finally, quite near no 2 above, there's a technical section which snakes back and forth over the area of a tennis court (maybe slightly larger) with some drop off, very tight turns, roots etc - all in one, quite open section...

That probably makes no sense but hopefully someone will recognise the descriptions... I'm fed up calling them 'that route from the bench' and suchlike!!
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    the first one in the the long run going in to the full nine yards
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    I'd say the third one sounds like the Corkscrew.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's one main one of sections crossing fireroads which runs (if you can find all the parts) all the way to the gully which I always thought was Whole Nine Yards (relates to Nine Mile Ride? i.e. it goes from Nine Mile Ride end all the way to The Gully ?).

I could be completely wrong about that though.

Rollercoaster I think is part of that route or linked to it. Hard to describe where but yeah, it's like a rollercoaster, if it's the one I think.

Tank Traps literally has tank traps at one end (big concrete things that I assume once were to trap tanks?), but watch out... there's another section that has some tank traps but I believe is called Seagulls. The latter is less well known I think as it's further away.

Tank Traps links across a fireroad with The Stickler which has a little wooden bridge over a fallen tree. Though you have to watch for the paths on the linking fireroad as they are not directly opposite.

p.s. going from The Stickler towards Tank Traps is the correct direction - in my opinion. Only because I feel the end of Tank Traps works best that way, otherwise you're doing those sweeping sections uphill. The end bit especially should be one way as it could be a disaster if you meet someone the other way.

Then there's Labyrinth and Babymaker which are at the top of (Surrey?) Hill, keep on going past the reservoir, down and up and reach an open flat area at the top of a hill with lots of drops down into a maze of routes. I think technically Labyrinth starts at the bottom and is the one that climbs back up, round, down, round, up, round, etc. Hence the name. Many people miss it, and most the kids don't bother at all and stay on the jump section all day (Babymaker?), often just sitting on the track or walking back up it which can be annoying.

Aside from that, there are potentially hundreds of others around but no idea if they have names.
  • There's a new gameshow in here somewhere... I'll name that trail in 3 corners..

Cheers for the descriptions... Corkscrew sounds about right.. So where does 'In the Long Run' end and 'The Full Nine Yards' start?

Stickler and Tank Traps don't ring any bells - which bit of the forest are they?

The middle one I described is just near the bottom of the Corkscrew....
  • The one being referred to as the Long Run is actually the Crowthorne Highway, whcih runs from Pip's seat (well, you can continue back towards the Corkscrew from there as well) through to the area at the top of Pudding Hill where the Full Nine Yards starts. Confused yet?

The Long Run isn't particularly long and can be found just off the fireroad that connects Surrey Reservoir to the Wall and Labyrinth etc. As you descend you come across a large puddle, then a short sandy rise. The Long Run is on the left amongst those trees (to the left of the large drop off if you're looking downhill).

The straighter the line, the faster I go!
  • Just come back from an afternoon in Swinley :-)

Could anyone tell me the grid reference of the green bench? I've never ridden in Swinley from the lookout before so it took me a while to find my way back!
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    approx SU 864648
  • Great thanks!
  • I know a few of the BOB guys read this, so just wanted to say a quick thankyou for the intro ride this morning, had a fun ride, and it was good to meet some of the members.

Will look forward to getting out on a few of the group rides.
  • Anonymous
    Be interested to know how the intro ride works. Are you in with a big group of all kinds of ability people or do they group you initially based on stuff you've told them? Do they then advise what level/group you should be or is it up to you to decide?
  • Intro ride is a big group ride. The information supplied by people doesn't help with grouping them so it's easier to keep everyone together. It rarely splits unless there is a very slow set of individuals who would have some more guiding but then go back to the car park.

The idea is for potential members to experience some of the trails, but also talk to some of th BoB members to udnerstand a bit more about the club, the kinds of riding and the sort of levels of riders on each of the sessions. It's not an exact science by any means, once people join they tend to try either the Saturday 2pm ride or the Thursday evening ride and get a feel for those first.

The straighter the line, the faster I go!
  • Any body fancy doing a few night rides in swinley over the winter midweek or weekend.? :?:
    Marin Mount Vision Beast
    Fave rides : 7 staines rock Afan,Coedy,Swinley,Penmachno,Snowdon.
  • Aye I will be. Im just deciding which light setup to get at the moment with that exact reason in mind.
  • Hey billysan. Im just waiting for my magicshine to arrive ive ordered it from Geoman. There is 2 of us going regularily at the moment. We usually get out at least once a week were using headtorches at the moment enough to get us buy. Would be great to get a few people on board. We want to build are night skills up then do afan, coedy etc at night then hopefully snowdon, I have done it before 3 hours to climb/walk up then 20 mins down :lol:.
    Marin Mount Vision Beast
  • Anonymous
    Redmans wrote:
    I have done it before 3 hours to climb/walk up then 20 mins down :lol:.
    3 hours climb! :shock:

Bad enough just doing a 10 minute climb for me. I'd ring a taxi :D

Maybe that's why Swinley's good for me. Climbs only take a minute and there aren't too many of them.
  • Its a sad fact that most 'mountain bikers' dont think that climbing is part of the sport anymore. I possibly enjoy climbing more than descending, especially long technical climbs!!

Redman, drop us a pm about when you're heading out and I'll try to join you one evening. Ive never really given night riding a go before, but think it'll be a right laugh!!
  • Climbing is part of the sport, even in the megavalanche race there are climbs, and some proper ones.... that kill legs and lungs :D

Other wise could any one give a quick over view to the riding in swinley , I usually ride around leith hill if some one can compare?
    is swinley flatter or similar?
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • Climbing is part of the sport, even in the megavalanche race there are climbs, and some proper ones.... that kill legs and lungs :D

Other wise could any one give a quick over view to the riding in swinley , I usually ride around leith hill if some one can compare?
    is swinley flatter or similar?
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• Anonymous
    Ah well, I'm not in it for the 'sport' or racing. I'm just a lazy bugger who likes to chuck himself down a hill now and again :D. That's why I like skiing, lots of lifts to get up the hill, charge down, explore the place and find good bars & restaurants :D

But anyway, Swinley... essentially flat compared to Leith. There's some up and down bits and one main hill (Surrey Hill), but it's nothing really by comparison. What there is though is a big area and a lot of trails all over, all self contained in one forest and the place is easy to get to. You won't find any serious rocks etc to ride over. It's a wide mix of fairly well managed (though poorly signed) clean singletrack and some jumps here and there. Could do with some northshore there though. There's only one bridge as far as I know.
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    If I were you Supra-man Id stick to Leith hill, if youre in that area you will regret making the 60 minute (ish) trip up to swinley. Failing that go over holmbury or pitch hill.

I started over swinley and now only finding myself going there if Im limited time wise (its closer). There are a few bits of singletrack similar to the start of summer lightning, perhaps a few bits like the regurgitator (only on less of a hill). Swinley is flat, but I guess that makes it a bit easier on the legs and lungs. Swinley doesnt really have anything that technical, theres a bit referred to as the "alpine section" running down the side of surrey hill but its very short.

Kenny: 1 bridge? you mean on the stickler? theres a section called "red route" coming back from the labyrinth that has 2 short bridges in close sucession. Nothing particularly interesting though.

Conclusion: Worth a try if you havent been over there but I'll put money on it that you wont go back if youre used to Leith.
  • Anonymous
    Swinley's just 30mins from me, or quicker still direct from work and Leith is 20 to 30 mins depending whereabouts in the hills, so equal really. Both have their fun parts, but Leith/Surrey Hills is far better, but just harder work :D

Bridges, yeah, the Stickler. Not sure about the others, although coming down the hill towards the Gully there are a couple of tiny bridges but they're nothing so I don't really count them. I'm after things that are more like obstacles than just a wooden piece of ground :D
  • Hi Guys, is anybody from the berkshire area interested in showing me around the surrey hills.? I usually go to the look out but im in need of some variation for a change maybe even a night ride.?
    Marin Mount Vision Beast
  • Ive not done Surrey Hills yet either, wouldnt mind a trip there soon to have a look about
  • Anonymous
    Try this thread for Surrey Hills: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12649310

(should be in this forum probably).
  • like J55TTC said , well I prefer leith hill area, even though the drive is longer...

But swinley should do for getting out mid week, so still handy as its closer.
    and its somewhere new to explore.

Thanks for the description guys. :wink:
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• Anonymous
    Did Surrey Hills yesterday again which was fantastic, but for a change of pace I went back to Swinley today. Mission really was to find new stuff. Nothing spectacular but I still find tracks I've not done before.
  • Hi billy san if you fancy a ride over to surrey hills, give us a pm and we can arange a ride maybe somebody could show us around. :!:
    Marin Mount Vision Beast