Swinley Forest / The Lookout

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Lucky, I don't even have an MTB at my place ATM, all at my dads. Would have loved to get out there, and I could have gotten to Swinley through the top of our road.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Hi Guys,

I was thinking of coming down to Bracknell to ride over this coming weekend, does anybody have an idea what the trail conditions are like? I know the area and am happy riding in the snow but if it's all gone icy because of the bike traffic then it might not be worth the trip down from Oxford...

Taking the car's out of the question as I've only just passed my test and don't fancy taking my chances on the roads, but the trains seem to be running ok so getting there or parking up wouldn't be be an issue.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike
    There are only 86400 seconds per day...

Tick Tock

Tick Tock
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    Hi Guys,

I was thinking of coming down to Bracknell to ride over this coming weekend, does anybody have an idea what the trail conditions are like? I know the area and am happy riding in the snow but if it's all gone icy because of the bike traffic then it might not be worth the trip down from Oxford...

Taking the car's out of the question as I've only just passed my test and don't fancy taking my chances on the roads, but the trains seem to be running ok so getting there or parking up wouldn't be be an issue.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

There's some discussion (from today) on conditions here:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/swinley-1
  • Thanks Timmys! Shame that it sounds so grim though, might have to give it a miss.

Tick Tock
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you need to drive there, parking is probably the main issue. Riding in the snow is usually fun, but maybe there's just too much at the moment. Plus it will be crusty now. If the sun comes out it could soften it up.
  • Anonymous
    The web site for The Lookout says the centre is open today & tomorrow but the car park is shut. They recommend the Coral Reef car park opposite. Tried that earlier in the week and got stuck in the car park!

I'll check out access to Surrey Hills and if that's no go, try Swinley.
  • Anonymous
    Didn't bother with Surrey Hills in the end. Got to Swinley. Parked in the Corel Reef (still tricky as it's not been cleared and lots of people getting stuck!).

Swinley was quite an effort though. Traction is okay, but steering was all over the place! Tried some singletrack but that soon became almost impossible. Had to walk a lot of it!

Problem I think is a lot of it is too churned up or the snow is crusty or bobbly. Seemed different when I did Surrey Hills in the snow which was lighter and fluffy.

Still, did find one of the firetracks was pretty much untouched and whilst several inches deep I could ride that quite well. Totally exhausting though as there's so much resistance.
  • thel33ter
    Went there today, car park is closed and the Coral reef one is very slippery.

As for the trails, a bit of the singletrack is rideable, easiest was the bermy bit on the way to the jump gully. The main fireroads were also vaugley possible in the tracks from the 4x4s used by forestry commison.

The rest is pretty horrible and not worth it, Overall I would advise staying at home nice and warm.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    Apparently Warner are back at Swinley shooting some more Harry Potter stuff. Guess that means stuff closed off again. Still, worth a look.
  • was there today (first time) and found it to be a really great day! lovin the bermy down/up/down/up bit (no idea what it was called)

felt absolutely ruined by the end of our ride as the air was pretty cold and burned on the way into my lungs, now seems that i've got a visit to the quacks monday; coughing up bug lumps of yellow phlegm :yuck: :(

shows holes in my fitness though riding sommit different from what is local to us (bournemouth: read mainly flat)
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, Swinley today is much more muddy than the Surrey Hills has been recently.

Anyway, yeah the Potter lot are back. More green screen up then. Couldn't get closer without ducking the tape, though there seemed to be just one security guy around on a Sunday.

4357110902_f8aa820dc3.jpg

and this is the area they have closed off. Doesn't affect towards Surrey Hill and The Labyrinth area, so that's good. Just blocks off one of the routes along the way, so you're stuck to firetracks to get round it (which are covered in metal decking at the moment).

4357110332_b547ea0a68.jpg
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Paid a visit to Swinley this Sunday with me wife. Am not sure about all different names of trails, but after riding them ...yes, I agree that swinley can offer something. You can't really compare swinley to surrey hills, but hey ... german autobahns can't compare to twisty welsh roads and enjoyment from both is different in all aspects.

Shame that just after a bit of rain, a lot of places are some kind of washed out, not saying that i have a problem riding in mud ... but that was like bathing in mud! ... have seen some downhillers and couldn't work out how do they do all their intended jumps on such a muddy trails, did ride there and all i could was -just slidng around, although i liked being on edge of casing it out ** so yea, my wife concluded that Swinley is much better for her than Surrey Hills, but then I am personally buffled.

Guess I need to come more often to explore things around, and enjoy variety of trails on offer from both Swinley and Surrey Hills.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    Just an FYI that Gorrick's annual pass for Swinley is now up to £20 (was £18 last year).

Still worth it in my opinion if you do Swinley enough times (otherwise it's £2 a day).
  • Anonymous
    There's a trail guide to Swinley in the latest (and free) IMB online magazine...

http://www.imbikemag.com/issue4/

Also there's some stuff from Surrey Hills in there too (under the Technique section).
  • othello
    othello Posts: 577
    Had my first visit to Swinley on Saturday afternoon and had a great time. I can really see how you could go many times and not find all the trails.

We just took it easy and explored but did really enjoy riding the trail which started inbetween 3 big concrete blocks at the edge of a fireroad. Some berms to start, then really windy. Crossed a few fireroads then spitted us out by the green gate entrance/exit to Crowthorne Forest. Not sure what it is called.

We will be back, especially for early evening rides now the clocks have changed. When does the car park close if you want to ride in the evening?
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • riddle
    riddle Posts: 41
    Is anyone planning on riding at Swinley over this weekend?
    Blue Skies Always
    Roger H-Smith
    07807 031797
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Maybe Monday. Depends on weather but more likely to be over at the surrey hills
  • riddle
    Surrey Hills is too far, I have no plans to use the car this weekend after the amount of miles I have driven this week!

Anyone else going to Swinley tomorrow?

Roger
    rh_smith@hotmail.com
    Blue Skies Always
    Roger H-Smith
    07807 031797
  • Anonymous
    Check out the London Calling thread too as plenty of us around there area do Swinley (and Surrey Hills, and beyond) :)
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    othello wrote:
    Had my first visit to Swinley on Saturday afternoon and had a great time. I can really see how you could go many times and not find all the trails.

We just took it easy and explored but did really enjoy riding the trail which started inbetween 3 big concrete blocks at the edge of a fireroad. Some berms to start, then really windy. Crossed a few fireroads then spitted us out by the green gate entrance/exit to Crowthorne Forest. Not sure what it is called.

We will be back, especially for early evening rides now the clocks have changed. When does the car park close if you want to ride in the evening?

The Seagull (backwards)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Anonymous
    In my opinion Seagul doesn't have a correct direction, or to put it another way the direction is wrong whichever way you go. Just doesn't quite flow right.
  • riddle
    Where is the Seagull?
    Blue Skies Always
    Roger H-Smith
    07807 031797
  • Anonymous
    Good map here with Seagull marked on it.

http://www.calcot.plus.com/swinleysingletrack2.jpg

(credit to apreading from this thread)
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    It would be better without the middle section, but overall its better from the Crowthorne end I'd say.

Any riding down there tomorrow?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Dont give me too much credit - all I did was finish off what Tuxpoo started.

Glad it is seeing some use though!
  • LjStronge
    LjStronge Posts: 287
    Just a quick question for you Swinley boys and girls, I have been going for a year now, and generally I am there twice a week unless we have a big ride coming up, and I think I pretty much know whee everything is now.

We generally do The Whole nine yards first or Flume (our own name) which brings you out at Surrey Hill. The other day we did Flume, went up surrey hill and then made our way on fire road past rollercoster to the Clubhouse.

We went there to do deer stalker/labrinth as we usually do, but as we got to the end of Deer Stalker (The middle opening) we decided to go back up one of the other sections that come out there, I have no idea why we didnt do this before.

I was always aware that babymaker (we call it face break on account of my mate face planting a tree there) was on the right, but I can't believe I missed the other 2 awesome down hills. They are right inbetween Labrynth and Baby maker and are AWESOME!

They are pretty aggressive and you can get some serious speen dopwn them.

Does anyone know what either of these 2 downhill runs are called?

Thanks
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • I'll be there on Sunday with a buddy from work. Hope to see some of you guys there. We are planning on setting off at around 10am.

I have a dark grey Mongoose Tyax Elite hardtail with a Firepro yellow walled front tyre, and crud mudguards. He has this yellow old POS lol!
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
    Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).
  • .. WoW, I've only been to swinley forrest twice and the first time I found a windy run down some hill, then another one through the trees (which I found becuase I got lost looking for the one I done last time!!) - I have no idea where the others are?? Is there a definitive list anywhere?..

Would really like to go and do some really good trails with links.. I normally stick to the little roads becuase I dont know where im going!! :(
  • thel33ter
    .. WoW, I've only been to swinley forrest twice and the first time I found a windy run down some hill, then another one through the trees (which I found becuase I got lost looking for the one I done last time!!) - I have no idea where the others are?? Is there a definitive list anywhere?..

Would really like to go and do some really good trails with links.. I normally stick to the little roads becuase I dont know where im going!! :(

Map here, you can kind of read the labels.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40964132@N ... otostream/

Deadkenny posted a huge version a bit further up.

Have a look for the London Calling thread in the MTB rides section, we ride around Swinley and Surrey Hills.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • herbman7
    herbman7 Posts: 6
    Hi All,
    I'm loving Swinley at the moment - also popped down to the devils punch bowl in surrey for some mental riding a few weeks ago!

the place has really inspired me to build a 'do it all bike' because im sick of having to choose whether to take a jump bike or xc full sus!

as for riding technique, I'd say the most important thing ive learned is how to keep the front wheel elevated for short periods of time - minimising the hits on the front fork

also useful to be able to bunny hop, but not mandatory. It has certainly helped me out on multiple occasions, when coming over a hill and seeing a tree stump directly in your path! however - not too suitable for anyone who like to cycle with their saddle at a decent height!

There's loads of good trails to be found so theres not really a specific route to take - i normally head to the jump gully and start from there

anyway, im going to try and make it to Swinley this saturday (16/4) in time for a trial ride with BOB at 10am - haha (earlier than i start work normlly!)
    helmets mandatory so im going to have to wear fullface all day!

join us if you have time!! - should be nice weather .,.,and im off to amsterdam the day after :D
    Giant Anthem X4
    Commencal Furious
    DirtyJo Singlespd DJ
    Old school orange race bike