Swinley Forest / The Lookout

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can easily go around Swinley for hour or days and miss everything. Essentially just keep an eye out for tracks leading off anywhere and just head down them to see where they go. If you stick to fire tracks, you'd definitely miss everything.

However there's a main set of linking singletrack that goes along towards the "expert" area. That will take you The Gulley which is where the kids do their jumps all day. Go up the hill from the Gulley and you get to the reservoir at the top of the hill. Keep going from the reservoir along from the line of the boundary fence and you go down a hill, then up again and finally to an open area where you head left to a line of trees which is the top of the Labyrinth (amongst a few other names). Lots of more serious tracks descend from here, some with jumps, some without, and they wind through a maze and come out at the bottom, or there's a really long winding maze track you pick up from the bottom going back up and down, left, right, up, down, etc, etc. !!

But that's just a tiny bit of the place. Probably the more popular.

The others I know are things like Tank Traps and The Stickler. Hard to describe where they are, but Tank Traps literally has some concrete tank traps at the end. The Stickler has a tiny wood bridge thing.

There's also another track which I don't know the name of which starts with a tank trap bit too. I think it's kind of towards the bottom left of the whole Swinley area.

There are tonnes more. Many are short sections that you link together with others. I don't know half the place and I've done it for a few years now. I should try and put together a map. I've yet to see a complete map of all the singletrack.

Be warned though, there's no set direction to the singletrack and no signs, and watch out for damn dog walkers on the singletrack (who deliberately won't get out of the way).

I'm hoping that after letting Warner in there recently for the Harry Potter shoot, they'll have got a fair bit of cash to make some good improvements, though it's a good place as it is (for the South East). I'd heard it was once shortlisted as a Olympic site.
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    I managed to get down there in the end yesterday. You're right about missing all the good bits if you dont know where to go however. I had the good fortune to be invited out with a group who had a reasonable knowledge of the area, and we visited most of the bits you mentioned there. Its a fantastic place to ride really, and the labyrinth was one of the coolest things Ive ever riden!

Even a reasonable tumble in jump gully didnt take the smile off my face!!

Going to have a lot more fun there I reccon.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Just got back, twas a bit dark when we finished up could hardly see the trails ! That and the bloomin rain !

Still, twas grand 8)

Prob0bly going to go this Sat with my fair maiden.
  • wesdev
    wesdev Posts: 104
    my legs did seize up as i got cramp in both my quads.... actually fell off the bike and my mate pissed himself laughing... had to stretch it out for 10 minutes....
    08 Trek Fuel EX 8
  • chubby666
    chubby666 Posts: 116
    could anyone let me know where it is or nearest post code to it as im not far away but have never been there and really looking forward to ride there !
  • matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    chubby666 wrote:
    could anyone let me know where it is or nearest post code to it as im not far away but have never been there and really looking forward to ride there !

The Look Out Discovery Centre
    Nine Mile Ride
    Bracknell
    Berkshire
    RG12 7QW

Tel: 01344 354400
    Fax: 01344 354422
    Email: thelookout@bracknell-forest.gov.uk

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • chubby666
    Thanks Matt
    I guess you get your day ticket at The Lookout !
    I think im gonna take a ride over there 2moro 8) :lol:
  • Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but you should get a permit before riding in the forest http://www.gorrick.com/swinley/index.php it's only two quid a day and helps to keep the trails open

As said above the place is great - and taking the less travelled path will turn up some real treats.

Have fun

Skinnytiger
  • matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    chubby666 wrote:
    Thanks Matt
    I guess you get your day ticket at The Lookout !
    I think im gonna take a ride over there 2moro 8) :lol:

Yes, from the main reception. £2.00

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • Anonymous
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but you should get a permit before riding in the forest http://www.gorrick.com/swinley/index.php it's only two quid a day and helps to keep the trails open
    Not just should, it's mandatory.

But very few people do I suspect. I doubt most of those on bikes there are even aware that you need a permit.

I ride there a lot so I'm only too happy to pay a small amount if it helps with the upkeep. Especially considering the parking is free!

If you go there a lot, it's worth getting the annual pass for £18 which you can get from the bike rental place on site or apply via Gorrick.
  • chubby666
    Anyone else up for a ride around here this Sat/Sun !
  • I will be there this Sunday. My wife is having a mountain bike lesson with Dirt DIvas there from 9:30am, so if anyone is around for a ride (and maybe to show me the best bits????) that would be grand.

Just bought a new bike (Rocky Mountain Vertex 50) so very excited having never ridden in the forest before though not sure how I am going to find everything and really want to post a review of the bike. More used to riding in Glentress and Coed-y-Brenin. Hopefully be able to find some of the bikes limits though and get used to it. Off to the Pyrenees in October for some serious climbs!
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    deadkenny wrote:
    I'm hoping that after letting Warner in there recently for the Harry Potter shoot, they'll have got a fair bit of cash to make some good improvements, though it's a good place as it is (for the South East).

The Crown Estate own the forest and keep all the money from Harry Potter, Robin Hood etc. The local mountain bike club, BOB, in conjunction with Gorrick, build and maintain the trails. This includes hiring excavators and dumper trucks for trail building as well as lots of hard work with wheelbarrows, spades and rakes. If you'd like to see more trails built, and like to find some of the more hidden trails - join the club!
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Going to try to get to Swinley this Thursday for an afternoon / evening ride.

Will aim to get there for 1715 and ride till about 1930.

Thought I'd post up early to see if anyone wants to join me.
  • Anonymous
    I'd be interested but it's tricky getting there early enough after work. It's a right pain this working lark.

I'll see how it goes anyway, otherwise I'll have to go at the weekend (though might do Leith Hill instead... or as well :D. Though I don't know LH at all).
  • deadkenny wrote:
    It's a right pain this working lark.

That it is, but at least you're the right side of the M4!
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Hmm bear in mind there has been a major water main faliure and and parts of the forest where under 18" of water over the weekend.
  • anjs wrote:
    Hmm bear in mind there has been a major water main faliure and and parts of the forest where under 18" of water over the weekend.

I was there on Saturday afternoon, and although they did warn me, it didnt affect me one bit. All the good bits are fine!! :wink:
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    How is the Seagull rumor has it that its a bit of a mess? Did the London to Windsor over the weekend so not had a chance to get up there yet to see the damage.
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    I take its the new one they've just put in has burst ?
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • tuxpoo
    tuxpoo Posts: 138
    I was there on saturday when this burst. The thames water guys said the back pressure will keep the leak flowing for at least 2 days. The seagull was flooded at the lower star point end. The fireroad from upper star point to lower star point was impassible. The dip in the dark wood section of the seagull was filled to the top.

The flow was intense, like a strong river. The dips in the fireroads before stickler and tanktraps were filling up.

Looks bad

Tux
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    tuxpoo wrote:
    I was there on saturday when this burst. The thames water guys said the back pressure will keep the leak flowing for at least 2 days. The seagull was flooded at the lower star point end. The fireroad from upper star point to lower star point was impassible. The dip in the dark wood section of the seagull was filled to the top.

The flow was intense, like a strong river. The dips in the fireroads before stickler and tanktraps were filling up.

Looks bad

Tux

If I can post up a picture of the swinley forest map would it be possible to point out where the seagull, stickler and tanktraps are please? It might be Ive ridden them but just unaware of names. Im 99.9% certain Ive never come across the tank traps.
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    Please, I need to know where the "tank traps" section is :?:
  • natrix
    As I said above, if you want to find out where the trails are then join BOB!! They build and maintain the trails. Unfortunately there are enough people riding (and wearing out) the trails as it is. If maps were published, the trails would get even more punishment.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    barnesr wrote:
    As I said above, if you want to find out where the trails are then join BOB!! They build and maintain the trails. Unfortunately there are enough people riding (and wearing out) the trails as it is. If maps were published, the trails would get even more punishment.

I think that's a bit unreasonable! I would have thought encouraging more riders to turn up and pay the day-cost for entry would be more in the spirit of enjoying the forest.
  • natrix
    Very few cyclist buy the cycling permit (even though it is free parking). The club build the trails and are happy for people to ride them, searching them out is part of the challenge, but if we were to allow maps of the trails we wouldn't be able to keep up with maintenance. Hiring excavators, dumper trucks etc costs money and it takes a lot of man hours as well..............
  • But can't you buy maps in the Look Out whilst paying for a Permit !
  • natrix
    Yes, you can buy 'maps' but they only point you in the general direction of some trails, they don't identify trails such as the tank traps, stickler & seagull. Part of the fun is trying to find the singletrack :D
  • To be honest the tank traps are not hard to find, if you keep your eyes open. I found them on my second visit, without being shown. Worth finding too!!

As for joining BOB, I would have already, had I not had to wait to get on one of their 'induction' rides first. Im booked on the one on the 19th though, abeit feeling a little insulted that I must be 'vetted' prior to being able to join.

And I have always bought a permit, and have all the ones Ive ever bought to prove that. Im well aware that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and am more than happy to pay a couple of quid to get to use this facility. Anyone that doesnt really should take a look at themselves.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    chubby666 wrote:
    But can't you buy maps in the Look Out whilst paying for a Permit !

You can - they're also available here; http://www.gorrick.com/downloads/swinleyforestmap.pdf

Neither map is detailed enough to show specific trails, and whilst you can normally find someone to point you in the right direction (or just follow other riders), it can be frustrating if you can't find that elusive trail you've heard about (or even confirm that you've actually been riding it for months!).

I agree that not enough people pay for permits, but I suspect most people don't realise how much work goes into maintaining the trails. And if you can't find the good ones, maybe you'll never find out...