LANCE vs AC its all goin on

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Lance's palmares:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Arms ... _victories

Contador's palmares:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Co ... hievements

Pokerface, you were insinuating that Lance's 7 Tours make him greater than Contador. He is a one race wonder and nothing more and I was making you aware of that. Contador is a complete rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Earthbound
    Earthbound Posts: 109
    Pokerface, you need some FACTS shown to you.

Contador is 26.

He was won the Tour de France twice.

He has won the Giro.

He has won the Vuelta.

Only four other people can claim to have won at least one of the three GTs: Merckx, Hinault, Anquetil and Gimondi. Only four and he is only 26.

Now he has also won the following stage races:
    Vuelta a Castilla y León Twice
    Paris Nice
    Setmana Catalana
    Vuelta a País Vasco Twice
    Volta ao Algarve

He also has high placings in many others.

He also has many stage wins to his name.

He was also U-23 Spanish TT Champion.

He is the current Spanish TT Champion.

He is a formidable rider and he is only 26.

I would like to see him compete in Clásica de San Sebastián this year and the Ardennes next year. Being the best rouleur of the climbers and the best climber I am pretty ssure he could add these to his palmares.

Now if you care to look at Lance's palmares, you will start to understand how much greater Contador is in comparison to Lance. He is 12 years older than Contador and has won seven Tours, no Giros, no Vueltas and only two or three other small stage races.

French fighter - simple facts reveal great truths as your posting here has done :D

At Contador's age, 26, Armstrong had won 0 Giros, 0 Vueltas and 0 Tours, There is no comparison between the two, Contador is already cementing his reputation as one of the true greats of the sport alongside the names you have mentioned, and he's only just starting out.

And he's a nice guy, which makes a change :wink:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Paris-Roubaix next year then?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Lance didn't ride the Giro or Vuelta. Hard for him to win them under those circumstances!
  • frenchfighter
    Earthbound wrote:
    At Contador's age, 26, Armstrong had won 0 Giros, 0 Vueltas and 0 Tours

:lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • appletrees
    appletrees Posts: 327
    There's also the small issue that at the age of 26, Armstrong was recovering from the small matter of near terminal cancer, which kind of scuppered his palmares for a couple of years, but hey, let's not let that get in the way of a diatribe.

:roll:
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2009
    AP Photos:
    610x.jpg

I was up on the Col de Bluffy for the TT and I can tell you that Lance really did look this wasted:
    Graham Watson
    4.jpg

Contador on the otherhand came past so fast that my photo was blurred.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Earthbound
    Lance's palmares:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Arms ... _victories

Contador's palmares:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Co ... hievements

Pokerface, you were insinuating that Lance's 7 Tours make him greater than Contador. He is a one race wonder and nothing more and I was making you aware of that. Contador is a complete rider.

I agree with you again mon ami.

In his career Armstrong had a simple gameplan and he stuck to it. He only ever rode hard 3 days of the year - in 2 TTs and a climb or maybe 2 climbs and a TT. The rest of the Tour he had an expensively assembled team to carry him through the race (sounds like this year :lol: ), The rest of the season he simply wasn't racing.

His achievement's look exceptional on paper and undoubtedly he is a fantastic athlete but his 7 tour wins are completely out of proportion with the rest of his career. They distort the public's perception of what consitutes a great cyclist. And they were achieved at a time when the only opposition was a pie eating German party boy and a nutcase junkie Italian.

The next few years of cycling look much more worthy with Contador, the Schlecks and Sky/GB, Tony Martin is also a great prospect. If only we could get some young French riders coming through, there are some young Italians emerging.

You have to admire the Schelck's attitude, they have their own race and they will attack. Andy's comments about coming back for the yellow next year are in no way an insult to Contador, they show respect but also determination. Armstrong would do well to learn from the way Andy Schleck conducts himself.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    appletrees wrote:
    There's also the small issue that at the age of 26, Armstrong was recovering from the small matter of near terminal cancer, which kind of scuppered his palmares for a couple of years, but hey, let's not let that get in the way of a diatribe.

:roll:

Yes, I believe by that age he'd managed to finish 1 grand tour.

Of course, Contador has also had a brush with death which put him out of action for a while.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Earthbound
    Pokerface wrote:
    Lance didn't ride the Giro or Vuelta. Hard for him to win them under those circumstances!

Why did'nt he ride them? everybody else does!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Pokerface wrote:

His priorities, his choice, his loss.

For what it is worth, I think he is a great TDF rider but not one of the "greats".
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    merra wrote:
    hey pistolero, there is no "i" in "team".

...no, but there is a 'u' in c**t

There is also the more polite M and E :wink:

Just noticed that that has been used, beaten to the punch.
    Should read the whole thread first :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    DaveyL wrote:
    It's not Franco Pelizotti?

LOL

I thought it was too DaveyL!

Until I realised that if Franco straightened his hair, it would go down to his bum.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    iainf72 wrote:
    appletrees wrote:
    There's also the small issue that at the age of 26, Armstrong was recovering from the small matter of near terminal cancer, which kind of scuppered his palmares for a couple of years
    Yes, I believe by that age he'd managed to finish 1 grand tour
    ...one and half hours down on the winner.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Pokerface wrote:
    Armstrong was 4th in the 1998 Vuelta. Behind Abraham Olano, Fernando Escartin and Jose Maria Jiminéz. He was ahead of Jalabert, Zuelle and Heras.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    edited July 2009
    LOL; Paul Sherwen has posted a couple of Proverbs today (as he usually does). These two were posted about 5 hours ago:
    African proverb which might be apt today: By the time the fool has learned the game, the players have dispersed
    African Proverb: what about this one from Sierra Leone: Do not tell the man who is carrying you that he stinks

Someone must have taken offense or questioned the motive behind them. Not even an hour after these:
    Proverbs are not targeting anyone-used to guide one along the path of life- & are interprtated by reader- if anyone is upset i apologise

http://twitter.com/PaulSherwen
  • Earthbound wrote:

In his career Armstrong had a simple gameplan and he stuck to it. He only ever rode hard 3 days of the year - in 2 TTs and a climb or maybe 2 climbs and a TT. The rest of the Tour he had an expensively assembled team to carry him through the race (sounds like this year :lol: ), The rest of the season he simply wasn't racing.

I'm sorry but there is someclear inaccuracies there.

In 1999, LA won 3 TT plus the stage to Sestriere. He also was largely on his own for the stage Escartin won to Pau Engaly.

In 2000, there were the stages to Hautacam, Mount Ventoux and Briancon all of which he was largely unprotected at the business end of the stage. He also bonked on the Joux Plane without team mates as he had used them up already.

In 2001, he rode hard and attacked on every mountain stage save the last one to Luz Ardiden.

Yes he had a n easy ride in 202 aqnd 2005 but to say all & were easy and won with little effort is not true
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Greg Lemond must be enjoying this. Must remind him of his trip round France with Hinault in 1986.
    Chap, this is waaaay bigger than Greg & the Badger. I can see it spiralling to become one of the most bitter rivalries in the history of pro cycling (providing Lance sticks around long enough).

You want to rile up LA? Show him this piccy, a screenshot from the climb to Verbier, Stage 15. The writing on the flag says "Contador - el puto amo", roughly translated "the f***ing master". Quite unequivocable, I'd suggest, and a red rag to the old bull.
    andyp wrote:
    These are grown men, right?
    True, but you know what Bill Shankly said about football? This isn't quite the same but the young Spaniard's pride has taken a whack. Now that the racing has stopped (during which he was pretty restrained) he's taking a swing. Lance cannot help but respond.

Re. LA's tweet at the top of the thread, I would recommend a quick glance in the mirror, as Iain's suggested. Still, it makes this rivalry a very public one and, while I don't particularly like this kind of behaviour, it certainly makes things interesting.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Ah, but LA don't speak Spanish does he? Or French? Or any language otehr than English.

It struck me on the podium that Contador could have said anything on the podium and Lance would have nodded and smiled. "I'd like to thank this c**t stood next to me for making my life difficult..."
  • DaveyL
    edited July 2009
    AP Photos:
    610x.jpg

No wonder they didn't get on if they were forced to do the business on side-by-side cr@ppers. Looks like Bertie has launched a massive attack and is now basking in the glow of victory (hell he's even slipped his shades & helmet back on and zipped up his jersey), while Lance is slowly and painfully working his way to the finish.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    I would have thought he does speak reasonable Spanish, he has/had a place there for a while and lives in Mexico (well it used to be). Quite a lot of his team and past teams have been Spanish speakers and Big George is hispanic too.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    @DaveyL: isn't that Yaroslav Popovich in that photo?
  • frenchfighter
    DaveyL that is Poppo not Contador. It is written on his helmet.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    Well that's ruined that then.

Lance is just waiting for Popo to pull off the front.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Apparently Alberto’s English is pretty decent (that is what JB says!) but I think that he doesn’t speak it because he feels more comfortable in Spanish.

I am Spanish and am perfectly comfortable in English but then again I have been living here for nearly 5 years. It is not the same for Alberto, I think he should speak in the language he is most comfortable with because with questions about doping and Armstrong, you never know.

I don’t see where the drama is though. The only thing Contador has said is that he doesn’t respect Armstrong as an individual and that he never will. Never said a thing about this riding.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Apparently Alberto’s English is pretty decent (that is what JB says!) but I think that he doesn’t speak it because he feels more comfortable in Spanish.

Dennis will be on to you shortly Gabriel that because JB says so doesn't make it so.
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Whats all this about Armstrong not speaking/understanding Spanish?

He's lived in Girona most of his professional life, has he not?
  • Earthbound
    Simon E wrote:
    Greg Lemond must be enjoying this. Must remind him of his trip round France with Hinault in 1986.
    Chap, this is waaaay bigger than Greg & the Badger. I can see it spiralling to become one of the most bitter rivalries in the history of pro cycling (providing Lance sticks around long enough).

You want to rile up LA? Show him this piccy, a screenshot from the climb to Verbier, Stage 15. The writing on the flag says "Contador - el puto amo", roughly translated "the f***ing master". Quite unequivocable, I'd suggest, and a red rag to the old bull.
    andyp wrote:
    These are grown men, right?
    True, but you know what Bill Shankly said about football? This isn't quite the same but the young Spaniard's pride has taken a whack. Now that the racing has stopped (during which he was pretty restrained) he's taking a swing. Lance cannot help but respond.

Re. LA's tweet at the top of the thread, I would recommend a quick glance in the mirror, as Iain's suggested. Still, it makes this rivalry a very public one and, while I don't particularly like this kind of behaviour, it certainly makes things interesting.

Don't think Contador's taking a swing at Armstrong. He respectfully remained silent during the race, now he's setting the record straight on some of the unbelievable sh!t he's been submitted to by a group of people who were assembled and paid for by Astana to ride for and support Contador. How would you feel in your place of work if some big mouth turned up one day, started offering contracts to everyone for next year, taking team cars away, undermining your postition with every opportunity and desparately trying to marginalise you and bring about your failure?

It's been pretty clear from the start of the race that Contador has been left to fend for himself. But during the race he just kept his head down and went about the business of winning it fair and square. Which is in contrast to the twittering verbals coming from Armstrong and his goon Leiphemier on a daily basis.

As for the rivalry continuing into the future? No doubt Armstrong will continue seek publicity to aggrandise himself but when it comes to the actual racing there's only going to be one winner.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Not sure AC is actually as angellic as that. He did his fair share of looking after himself. And if it bothers him that Lance can come in with contracts for other riders than thats just hard luck cause he needs to work with teammates not leave them for dead on mountains to be able to get himself in the same position.

Money or whatever it doesn't matter LA must have looked after a few of his teammates to be able to get them to bury themselves for him. The contrast between the two is what I think LA is now actually telling him which is for all his single minded faults LA has always had a crew of guys willing to help him win the tour. As others and LA has said himself AC looks a more natural talent than he ever had but you can't go around burning bridges with guys in the peloton and think you can take it all on your own forever, just won't happen.

Surely the wise move would be to put the sock in it and get on with it but as a fan its far more exciting to see some grudge matches.