RPCC 'CCC' ride - Sat 1st Aug

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Ok guys, time for another trip to Parklife! :wink::lol:

Yes, CCC run this coming weekend - I propose an 8am / 8:30am start as it's going to be a fairly long day out. With a decent crowd and some organised riding we should be able to share the work without going OTT on the pace or having anyone burn out!

For those not sure what the 'CCC' is here's some info for you:
    :arrow: CCC = capital-coast-capital :arrow: Richmond Park to Worthing (heading South on a route West of the A24) :arrow: Stop at Parklife in Worthing for coffee &
cake :wink::D
:arrow: Worthing to Richmond Park (heading North on a route East of the A24)
:arrow: Approx 125 miles (from the Richmond Park meet point)
:arrow: Ave. speed (as in moving ave) will be around 27kph / 17mph (as a target at least - much slower and we'll be back late!)
:arrow: Stops will be short and sweet (except the Parklife one!)
:arrow: Plan to be out for around 9hrs - we're unlikely to be significantly quicker than that even if it doesn't take us quite that long
For those who need it, here's the route: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=44253

Please come well fuelled (Bern, that means you!! :wink::lol: ), especially if it's going to be a warm day - I suggest doubling up on what you would normally take on a 60 mile ride despite the fact we're stopping at Parklife for a proper refuel. Please also ensure you have at least one tube with you (basic I know, but I'd rather remind that ignore on this one).

So, who's in? Come on, the miles will do you good! :twisted: :D 8)

Comments

• Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Please come well fuelled (Bern, that means you!! :wink::lol:

Although practising mid air refuelling and long distances in the saddle will be key for the Tour des Cols, the weather forecast at the moment looks rubbish with 60% chance of rain according to the Weather Channel.

However the Tour des Cols will not be called off with inclement weather so will be there rain or not, but with the usual disclaimer of taking the train from Worthing back to London if things fall apart, unless your mum offers the spare room or lift home again Rich.

Also I believe there is a 2 for 1 deal on the trains, so there is room for one more deserter in that likely event.
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    sounds good to me, the ride, not the train home :-) Still not got a lot of miles in my legs since Andorra but am itching to get out this weekend provided i can get the creaking from my bottom bracket area sorted out.
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    It's about half as far again as I've done before so am a bit nervous about giving it a go (although until last weekend I never realised I could cycle 50 miles at about 20mph average). What's the profile of the route like?
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Good luck guys :D Fair to say count me OUT of this one :roll:

I fnish work this Friday for 2 weeks :D I'm gonna be doing a solo Clandon-Winterfold Loop-Box Hill ride this Saturday. Then try to do a minimum 100km ride each day for the 1st week :shock:
  • Rich-Ti
    tyskie wrote:
    It's about half as far again as I've done before so am a bit nervous about giving it a go (although until last weekend I never realised I could cycle 50 miles at about 20mph average). What's the profile of the route like?
    Given how you managed last weekend Steve I reckon you'll be ok - worst case there's a point on the return leg where we are close to Horsham, we pass a station near Rusper (I forget the name of it), and we go past Dorking too... but if you've come that far... :wink::lol:

As I've said to people before on this ride - come along and see how you feel :D

Profile-wise, about 2000m or so of climbing if I recall - Box Hill is just over 100 miles in and hurts a bit by then. There's two lengthy climbs and one short-sharp one on the route South (the rest of it is fairly rolling), and the route north just kind of 'undulates' all the way to Box Hill. It's a lovely route though 8)
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    Are we going over Ditchling Beacon this time? That was quite enjoyable during the L2B in June :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Rich-Ti
    edited July 2009
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Are we going over Ditchling Beacon this time? That was quite enjoyable during the L2B in June :-)
    No, getting to the start of the route that takes us over the Beacon is a pain in the ass from the park. Straight down to Worthing this time around. It's not worth the detour anyway - it's only one hill and it's not exactly a killer! Plus the route to Worthing is much nicer 8)

I can always bring us back on a hillier route and add in a few more stingers in either direction if we're feeling up to it though... :wink::lol:
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    I think I'm in - just changed the groupset on my bike with a bike shop assistance so we'll see how far I get - the lure of Parklife is strong though...

Tyksie - if you can manage 50 miles at 20 mph you should be fine and as Rich says there are always get out options if needed
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Was missing last weekend (family commitments) and this weekend I have to be prudent in view of London-Newhaven and on to Paris starting on Tuesday. BON VOYAGE a tous.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Bah, scuppered for this saturday - more landlord duties which I need to sort out so no riding for me. I wouldn't mind if the property made money but this whole reluctant landlord thing is wearing thin.... esp as I am subsidising the tenant by 800 quid a month......*sigh*
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • tyskie wrote:
    Hi Steve. More unaskedfor advice!
    I suggest: don't be tempted to do a turn on the front, even if you feel ok in the first half. Don't be tempted to attack the early hills, even if most do - go your own pace (HR limit or whatever). It'll regroup. Eat and drink lots (like Rich said). And stick like glue on the flats/undulations to get full benefit.
    Do most of the above and you'll be fine, IMO.
  • Esoteric80
    Esoteric80 Posts: 84
    Pretty sure I'm in for this.
    Gets all my weekend riding done in one day!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Berns12
    Think its touch and go for me at this stage. The guys at Evans have not got back to me in relation to my bike. They have had my bike since last Thursday.

Didn't think a brake cable change and brake clean was that difficult for a well trained mechanic.
  • Berns12
    phips wrote:
    Berns12 wrote:
    Think its touch and go for me at this stage. The guys at Evans have not got back to me in relation to my bike. They have had my bike since last Thursday.

Didn't think a brake cable change and brake clean was that difficult for a well trained mechanic.

And there's where your logic fails you Bern - you imply they're 'well trained' ... ;)

Had no choice to leave it with them as they were the only ones who could do it at short notice and the club sponsor is a little too far away.

Not exactly an inspiring confidence from your comment Phips, here's hoping the cable will hold when I fly down the Alps next month on the TDC and not end up like Jens Voigt. :)
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Phipsy wrote:
    Set light to the place and claim the insurance James. Gotta be less hassle than what you currently have.

BTW, I'm out this weekend. A mate wants me to set light to something, apparently.
    What are you setting light to? Your seat clamp?
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    Berns12 wrote:

Bernsy ,have you tried the bike shop EJ Barnes on Westbourne Grove virtually next to Portobello Road ?

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • Rich-Ti
    Berns12 wrote:
    Not exactly an inspiring confidence from your comment Phips
    I'm shocked you had any confidence in the fabled 'green & gold' in the first place Bern! :lol:

I've bought 2 bikes and a frame from them in recent years because they were the only people who carried stock of what I was after - had to go home and scrub myself clean all 3 times... *shudders* :shock: :lol:

A cable change (brake or gear) is a 5 min job - if you didn't have your bike back by Friday then something is up :?
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Hmmm, the fixtures secretary has indicated that I might be allowed a longer ride this Saturday... tempting. I'm not sure how the legs will cope with a full CCC but certainly worth thinking about.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Berns12 wrote:
    Not exactly an inspiring confidence from your comment Phips
    I'm shocked you had any confidence in the fabled 'green & gold' in the first place Bern! :lol:

I've bought 2 bikes and a frame from them in recent years because they were the only people who carried stock of what I was after - had to go home and scrub myself clean all 3 times... *shudders* :shock: :lol:

A cable change (brake or gear) is a 5 min job - if you didn't have your bike back by Friday then something is up :?

Hey don't knock them (too hard). My local one (Hendon) has always been very good. They are handy if you need that last minute purchase and cannot wait for the WWW to deliver to you.

Mind you not too sure whether to trust them to do some work on my PX :?
  • Rich-Ti
    London-Red wrote:
    Hmmm, the fixtures secretary has indicated that I might be allowed a longer ride this Saturday... tempting. I'm not sure how the legs will cope with a full CCC but certainly worth thinking about.
    Give it a go Dave, see how you feel - plenty of bail-out opportunities as mentioned to tyksie on Pg1 :wink:
  • Rich-Ti
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Hey don't knock them (too hard).
    6 days for a brake cable change and you're saying don't knock them?!! :lol:

Sorry Ryan, but they're asking for it - completely agree on the 'last minute purchase' comment, but even then they're only useful if it's something run-of-the-mill :roll:
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Hmmm.... Perhaps you lads should start an 'Evans hating' thread...?

:roll: :lol: :twisted: :wink:
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Rich-Ti
    edited July 2009
    Sorry, yes - not the place for this discussion... only part of the forum I use though! :roll: :lol:

You CCC'ing Myk-ee? :shock:
  • tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    Cheers for your encouragement and advice. Count me in unless the weather is like today.
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    You CCC'ing Myk-ee? :shock:

think I might be drinking instead! Out Friday so just not gonna make it up in time, then a mates BBQ in the arvo.

Also done a lot of endurance stuff lately so want to work on the intensity side of things. Might do the same ride as last weekend, but that's for the other thread..
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Berns12
    edited July 2009
    Myk-ee wrote:
    Hmmm.... Perhaps you lads should start an 'Evans hating' thread...?

:roll: :lol: :twisted: :wink:

lol, I don't "hate" Evans, I am just finding it strange that they did not bother to inform me that the repairs could not be completed when I was due to pick it up. I was only informed when I went into the store which was a bit annoying.

I then told them I could not pick it up for another week due to work travel committments, and they said fine we will call you before we start on your bike so you are aware of estimated costs and if anything else needs to be fixed. As of today I still have not had the phone call, and bit worried that it has been forgotten again.

I agree with NWLondoner that it is a great place to pick up last minute odd bits and pieces, and I do have to say some of the guys, like at the Canary Wharf store are great and very helpful and knowledgeable.

Thanks for tip Gezza, I did consider them but due to my hectic week last week there was no chance I could get to them and Evans were the only guys with a free slot. Phips has also passed on other LBS's in the city which he recommends.

But anyway back to the CCC as this is what this thread is about. Weather still looks crap on Saturday. Hope you all got your rain coats :)
  • Rich-Ti
    edited July 2009
    So who is in? So far I count...

London-Red - possible
    tyksie - weather permitting
    Berns12 - possible
    thebongolian - "I think I'm in" :lol:
    Esoteric80 - "Pretty sure" :roll: :lol:

Much as I hate to be a fair weather rider, it is a long day - if it's wet I probably won't bother. Changeable is ok, I can handle that! :P

All a bit non-commital then... :oops: :lol: